Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

[SPOILER ALERT] Star Wars the Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

OK, lets discuss with the gloves off.

Loved the film but have no time right now to expand.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    OK, I'll fire first. I liked the movie, but *another* Death Star? Really? I can't wait to see what the next DS looks like. Maybe a giant cube? Or maybe they'll really try to shake things up, and build a *pair* of death stars.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Same old ideas. That's really it. Nothing really new except maybe a rouge storm trooper.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, the whole time watching The Force Awakens I felt as if I was watching A New Hope, from how BB8 got the chip and had to flee, Rey finding BB8 (similar to when R2 runs off to find Obi Wan), Rey being adapt at fixing machines, the new death star............... trench included, Han essentially Obi WAN 2.0 to Rey and then being killed, all the while Rey watching, hmm where did I see that before lol. All in all, I did find it considerably better than the last trilogy, which was terrible IMO.

Really interested to see who Rey ends up being. It's pretty obvious that she's a Skywalker (most likely Luke's daughter, but Han continually looked at Rey as if she was his, IMO), I wonder who her mother is though. At first I thought it might be Captain Phasma, but now I think it will end up being Lyra Erso, who will be in the Rogue One film. That makes sense actually and could be a big reason as to why Rey is hidden. Disney has made a couple of mistakes already with the game and film novelization, in which Kylo Ren says "Face Me Cousin" (in the game) and "it is you" (in the novelization). Either way I'm excited for episode VIII, Empire was my favourite film in the entire Star Wars series and one of the few sequels within a trilogy that was better than the first entrant, so I'm hoping the same happens with the new trilogy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I absolutely enjoyed the movie, but the parallels with "A New Hope", as mentioned above, were disappointing.
    Effectively a rewrite of Episode 4.

FN takes over the original Han Solo role.
    Solo dying, similar to Kenobi.
    The masked villain.
    Rey going off to find the last Jedi (Luke), same as Luke heading off to find Yoda in "Empire Strikes Back".

Hopefully the next episode takes an interesting turn, as "Empire" did in Episode 5.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still laugh every time I think about the trench. It's like really ? The rest of the movie was so similar to A New Hope and just for some good measure they added in the trench lol.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I still laugh every time I think about the trench. It's like really ? The rest of the movie was so similar to A New Hope and just for some good measure they added in the trench lol.
    I believe it was all done on purpose. Disney wanted to produce a retro movie. Lucas mentioned that they were going in a different direction and were not going to use his script or ideas. Get all the fans back that have loved the originals and hated the prequels. For example, the New Order uses Tie Fighters! The reasons we love the movie is due to the criticism's we have. The movie proved to be a perfect success and they have it set up nicely for an Empire Strikes Back like "I am your relative" narrative sequel.

SnowRogue, I never knew of the "Face me cousin" in the game, WOW! A distant Rogue One tie in is an extremely likely.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I believe it was all done on purpose. Disney wanted to produce a retro movie. Lucas mentioned that they were going in a different direction and were not going to use his script or ideas. Get all the fans back that have loved the originals and hated the prequels. For example, the New Order uses Tie Fighters! The reasons we love the movie is due to the criticism's we have. The movie proved to be a perfect success and they have it set up nicely for an Empire Strikes Back like "I am your relative" narrative sequel.

SnowRogue, I never knew of the "Face me cousin" in the game, WOW! A distant Rogue One tie in is an extremely likely.
    TBH, I don't actually have any issue with how closely similar the two films are and I agree, I think that's why the film is probably doing so well, the nostalgia of the originals.
    According to Disney, Ren says "Face me.......curses", but having played the audio back multiple times, I think Disney should just admit that the made a mistake lol.
    Abrams brought up how rogue one and subsequent films will tie into the main films, in more ways than one. It's just an assumption by me that Lyra Erso ends up being Reys mother. I really think that Disney and the film executives want Rey's mothers reveal to have a similar impact to Vader's reveal. Although in saying that, I think it would be ridiculously hard to pull off in today's day and age, but I am still holding out hope.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    One quick element I liked was the Star Killer Base. Since the bad guys are based loosely on the Nazi's ... the idea of yet another bigger vengeance weapon is 100% logical. (ie: The Bismark was one of the largest battle ships of it's day but it was about the 4th smallest battleship the Nazi's had planned. Tanks on plan at the end of the war were massively bigger)

So I checked and found that Death Star 2 was much larger than Death Star 1. So the "plan" for bigger was already established. The destruction of it also clears the way for other avenues of threat since it's unlikely the Order made a second one.

So while it enabled some retro storytelling it was at least plausable

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I don't think plausibility is an easy argument to make here. Didn't that thing absorb the entire mass of a decent-sized star without any noticeable consequences? I can suspend disbelief as well as the next guy, but guess what would happen if the Earth's mass abruptly increased 100,000-fold? (hint: it would be pretty exciting!) Sure, fine, "magic technology", but this is more of a stretch than usual.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I don't think plausibility is an easy argument to make here. Didn't that thing absorb the entire mass of a decent-sized star without any noticeable consequences? I can suspend disbelief as well as the next guy, but guess what would happen if the Earth's mass abruptly increased 100,000-fold? (hint: it would be pretty exciting!) Sure, fine, "magic technology", but this is more of a stretch than usual.
    Plausible in the Star Wars universe which is what we're looking at. The mass of the star was not absorbed by the weapon ... just the energy.

As far as magic?? Abilities to do things in science increase as knowledge increases. Most of today's "scientific facts" will be seen as "dark ages drivel" by scientists 1000 years from now.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I just rewatched the first one (technically 4th) and there's more similarities than I originally thought. You would think their technology would have changed over the years but they're still flying the same models.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I just rewatched the first one (technically 4th) and there's more similarities than I originally thought. You would think their technology would have changed over the years but they're still flying the same models.
    Makes a lot more sense than having shinier, sleeker, more aerodynamic and better looking space ships in Episodes I-III. It was almost like Lucas forgot that I-III was the prequel not sequel series to a New Hope, Empire and Jedi.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    What does everybody think about Snoke possibly being Darth Plagueis who was referenced by Palpatine in Episode III? The idea that he cheated death and is now manipulating everything behind the scenes is an interesting one.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    What does everybody think about Snoke possibly being Darth Plagueis who was referenced by Palpatine in Episode III? The idea that he cheated death and is now manipulating everything behind the scenes is an interesting one.
    Would make the entire Star Wars film series come full circle. Considering it was Plagueis' manipulation of the force that lead to the conception of Anakin.
    Plagueis was said to be obsessed with immortality, so it would make sense if he was still alive.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Would make the entire Star Wars film series come full circle. Considering it was Plagueis' manipulation of the force that lead to the conception of Anakin.
    Plagueis was said to be obsessed with immortality, so it would make sense if he was still alive.
    It would kinda lessen the impact of Emperor Palpatine for me though.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree to an extent, but I will add that I think it could make for an interesting twist and new storyline.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The 2nd time I saw the film... I could have swore the music used during Snoke scenes was very aimilar weird "floating bubble music" that was the backdrop when Palpatine told the Plagueis story to Annikan.

Not for me. The idea being that Palpatine left him for dead and believed he succeeded. (Obie Wan left Annikan for dead) There's a pretty big gash on Snokes head.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The 2nd time I saw the film... I could have swore the music used during Snoke scenes was very aimilar weird "floating bubble music" that was the backdrop when Palpatine told the Plagueis story to Annikan.
    Many others have noted the similarity.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Another thing I liked.

I liked how Kylo is obsessed with Darth Vader (his Grandpa) even to the point of wearing a mask. Considering the Kylo Character it makes sense why he says "Finish what you started." Seems to me he's looking to finish what Darth started and that's going to the dark side and getting rid of all the Jedi. When you look at it that way you see that Darth failed because he listened to the light. (to save Luke) Kylo seeing himself with the same weakness of being torn by the dark and lig (But in a more batshit crazy fashion)ht.