Thread: New regime

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I'm not judging them, I've been one of the few around here preaching patience.
    You have, and my last statement wasn't directed specifically at you altho I can see why it would look like it was.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    It's always one way or your looked at as freaked out, complaining, miserable, whining, hating. For shit sake's there is never any sort of debate. One way or the F'ing highway on this site. Pisses me off. This is pretty much about every friggin thing myself and a few others post. I guess I know nothing about nothing on a site with a bunch of bloody brilliant top notch no it all's.
    Who's freaked out, complaining, miserable, whining, hating? Those who don't agree with you?

If you and a few others post things that others criticize, how is that not a debate? Simply making such a statement completely contradicts that very statement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's always one way or your looked at as freaked out, complaining, miserable, whining, hating. For shit sake's there is never any sort of debate. One way or the F'ing highway on this site. Pisses me off. This is pretty much about every friggin thing myself and a few others post. I guess I know nothing about nothing on a site with a bunch of bloody brilliant top notch no it all's.
    Umm someone disagreeing with you is how debate is usually started, two or more opposing views. It's not one way or the highway, someone disagreed with you and wasn't rude about it, you're the one taking it to the next level. There has been a ridiculous amount of complaining around here, because the new owners aren't doing things the way certain fans want. The new owners only officially took over January 1st, Michael Copeland and Sara Moore have stated in columns or articles that they're close to having the seating chart and prices ready to go, this was a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure why everyone worried. Bell and Tanenbaum are not David Braley, Cynamon & Sokolowski, the CFL, Sherwood Schwartz, TSN/Labatt, etc, maybe we should stop treating them like they are, and actually wait and see what they do different.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I've been self employed since 1988. No one looks to find my landscape company without advertising. Perhaps I just look at things differently then most. The Argonauts have historically dragged their asses about everything including marketing. The new regime has known for months and months that they were taking over this struggling, run into the ground franchise and they didn't at least run a few adds to say, We're Here To Stay or some other dumb assed line that would get the team back in the public's eye. I suppose they must think that BMO is the be all and end all. Obviously only a few of us wish to have seen something done. Only diehards know about the season tickets. So many people I have talked to don't even know that the team is going to play at BMO. I strike up conversations when people comment on my Argo gear.
    You know what gets me going is the fact that this new ownership group could not have gotten anything started last year with a little promotion here and there with something.I was shocked going to home games last year at skydome that not once did they promote something on the jumbotron about buying tickets for next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    You know what gets me going is the fact that this new ownership group could not have gotten anything started last year with a little promotion here and there with something.I was shocked going to home games last year at skydome that not once did they promote something on the jumbotron about buying tickets for next year.
    I frankly don't believe the Argos will have much trouble selling tickets at BMO this year. A ticket push last year would mainly have benefited the previous owners. At least MLSE was true to their word that they had no interest in the Argos as long as they played at RC. Their lack of engagement last year probably had more to do with the fractured relationship between Bell and Rogers, than a slight against the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    How can this be sustained if they do not get out to a good start there first year at bmo field? Time is running out on this thing wake up people! We already seen this new ownership group screw up on there first day of announcing that they bought the Argos with getting absolutely no publicity from it. Obviously there connections with ml$e are not to be that great considering that they couldn't tell them that they signed a new head coach for the leafs that day. All media types have basically given up on the Argos fan590,all newspapers in Toronto except for the sun, even tsn and tsn radio are getting into trying to act to big for the cfl and Argos to cover, just look at the awful job tsn did last year. They have to start doing something on there end to get some kind of buzz/talk of the Argos going to bmo field. And for those people that think bringing out a schedule and seating chart with prices next month is going to do the trick need to give there head a shake! A lot more needs to be done then just that! I realize ml$e has a good track record of papering the house with giving free tickets to advertisers/sponsors and such but that can only last for so long before people start to bail on this team.
    Timing is perfect right now to get some attention why wait a couple of months when the blue jays start there season or wait tell May when the raptors and maybe the leafs are in the playoffs good luck with getting any attention then. when I talk sports with people from work or outside and I mention Argos are heading to bmo field they have NO idea about them going to bmo field! This needs to change ASAP!
    No need to worry about that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    No need to worry about that.
    As a Canucks fan, I probably shouldn't laugh, but I thought this was funny.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not panicking or anything either, nor do I expect any sort of miracle marketing campaign to have started yet, or anything like that. I also expect and/or hope that B/T have a great plan ahead of them, however, I was expecting at the very least some sort of press conference by the ownership upon taking the keys, basically saying we're here, we have a plan, and we are committed to making this work. Necessary? No, but what would it hurt to put a little limelight on the situation at this time of the year? And someone asked what would you do if you owned the Argos, what would you do at this point, not knowing the schedule etc. At this point you don't have to sell tickets, you just need to put the team in people's minds. I would create a couple of short 15 second spots, that just sort of illustrate briefly the glorious past, and the potentially glorious future. Get it in people's minds, then when all is ready, sell them tickets. Out of sight, out of mind. Agreed things are early, but if it were me who bought the team in May, I would have had this prepared for January, when I took possession. Then again, I've never run a successful business venture, so what the hell do I know?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    [QUOTE=jerrym;76884][QUOTE=Wobbler;76741]It's January. No one cares about the CFL right now.

According to the same website, here's the NFL interest level over time.

The "national football league" Interest over time is found at

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US#geo=CA&cmpt=q&q="national+football+league"

Both graphs show a decrease in interest without stating how this is measured. While I recognize the CFL and especially Toronto has problems, I have no trust in any data which has no information on how it was produced. Furthermore, compared to last year, things are looking up for the Argos.
    I don't think he was indicating the overall decline of interest of the CFL, although upon first glance that looks disturbing, I think he was talking about the yearly dip of interest in January.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    At this point you don't have to sell tickets, you just need to put the team in people's minds. I would create a couple of short 15 second spots, that just sort of illustrate briefly the glorious past, and the potentially glorious future. Get it in people's minds, then when all is ready, sell them tickets.
    IMO the problem with that is that you could build up interest and demand for a product you can't practically sell, yet. Get people's attentions turned to the Argos, someone thinks, "Hey, I want to buy tickets," and the team says, "We don't have a schedule yet and we are committed to letting existing STHs get first dibs, so can you hold that thought for a few weeks?" The potential buyer said, "Screw this," and moves on to other pursuits.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Clearly the new regime is a disaster. They've owned the team for two weeks and haven't done anything. (Well maybe not anything ... just stuff that's visible enough for the chronic complainers to notice)

Not to worry there 'Nut - the new regime promises to be outstanding - what could be better: corporate scum-bag backing (they LOVE Canadian football and Canadian citizens ( at least gouging them with over-priced, $hite service), plus, this guy Tannenbaum has incredible CFL/ Canadian football love credentials - maybe he can work out a deal for the Argos to become a Bills' farm team while he pursues his labor of love to bring an NFL franchise to Toronnawannabe - land.

Give them some time please.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    IMO the problem with that is that you could build up interest and demand for a product you can't practically sell, yet. Get people's attentions turned to the Argos, someone thinks, "Hey, I want to buy tickets," and the team says, "We don't have a schedule yet and we are committed to letting existing STHs get first dibs, so can you hold that thought for a few weeks?" The potential buyer said, "Screw this," and moves on to other pursuits.
    True, but the spots I envision wouldn't mention anything about buying tickets. Think of it, we aren't years away from selling tickets we are only a couple of months. The spots are only to put the team in your mind. There would be no mention of how or where or whatever to buy tickets. It would be along the lines of the Argos, the glory, the grit, the glamour, the fun, the legacy. Nothing more, nothing less. Just to get the idea into people's heads. No, website, no phone number, nothing. Just Argos. Just short spots, they just appear in your commercial break, or before your youtube video. Nothing that REALLY tries to sell you something.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    True, but the spots I envision wouldn't mention anything about buying tickets. Think of it, we aren't years away from selling tickets we are only a couple of months. The spots are only to put the team in your mind. There would be no mention of how or where or whatever to buy tickets. It would be along the lines of the Argos, the glory, the grit, the glamour, the fun, the legacy. Nothing more, nothing less. Just to get the idea into people's heads. No, website, no phone number, nothing. Just Argos. Just short spots, they just appear in your commercial break, or before your youtube video. Nothing that REALLY tries to sell you something.
    Don't know what some people are talking that the Argos don't have nothing to sell right now! What about the $50 deposit for season tickets and the right to purchase a grey cup ticket along with it! Just having a ad on your web site and nowhere else isn't doing any good no one in Toronto knows anything about this promotion. I can stand outside the air canada centre next week at a raptor or maple leaf game and ask your typical Toronto sports fan if they are aware of this deal out of a 5000 people I would say maybe if you are lucky 5 people know anything about this.
    Don't understand this concept of out of sight out of mind! This concept was a total failure with the past regime we need to learn from our mistakes. They need to keep the Argos name out everywhere people have to start taking notice that this team is coming to bmo field and that a new beginning is to take place. Having some goof ball posting stupid crap about a passing of a 80 year old English rock star on your Facebook and Instagram accounts isn't going to do the job people! WAKE THE HELL UP ARGO FANS more needs to be done!

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Not to worry there 'Nut - the new regime promises to be outstanding - what could be better: corporate scum-bag backing (they LOVE Canadian football and Canadian citizens ( at least gouging them with over-priced, $hite service), plus, this guy Tannenbaum has incredible CFL/ Canadian football love credentials - maybe he can work out a deal for the Argos to become a Bills' farm team while he pursues his labor of love to bring an NFL franchise to Toronnawannabe - land.

Give them some time please.

Come on give tanembum some credit at least he waited for a full day after the Argo sale to talk about how he wants to bring an nfl team to Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    That doesn't sound like very effective use of marketing dollars to me. For blockbuster events, teaser-type ads weeks or months in advance can work to build up interest and hype. For sports teams, you need to get buyers in the door. If the Argos did what you are describing I believe they would come under severe criticism from some quarters for misguided marketing. Better to get it right and sell at the same time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    For those that are complaining about a lack of marketing what exactly are you looking for? Let me guess you want to see TV Commercials. If so please be aware that TV commercials have always been the most expensive and least effective form of advertising. Even more so in today's world of PVR fast forwarding through commercials.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I still don't understand how the lack of schedule impacts what they're trying to sell, it make zero sense. Especially considering season tickets and deposits are usually sold well before a schedule is released in any league. Just because you repeat something, doesn't make it true.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still don't understand how the lack of schedule impacts what they're trying to sell, it make zero sense. Especially considering season tickets and deposits are usually sold well before a schedule is released in any league. Just because you repeat something, doesn't make it true.
    Some people need to know when the games are going to be before they buy tickets to those games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Some people need to know when the games are going to be before they buy tickets to those games.
    So a small percentage than ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ive explained it more than once in this thread and others. Maybe you haven't read those; you certainly haven't offered specific arguments against any specific argument I have made. Just disagreeing with something doesnt make it wrong.