Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New regime

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    If the Argos don't sign every Alabama player by the end of the month, I'll be very upset.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    [QUOTE=Wobbler;76741]It's January. No one cares about the CFL right now.

[QUOTE]

According to the same website, here's the NFL interest level over time.

The "national football league" Interest over time is found at

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US#geo=CA&cmpt=q&q="national+football+league"

Both graphs show a decrease in interest without stating how this is measured. While I recognize the CFL and especially Toronto has problems, I have no trust in any data which has no information on how it was produced. Furthermore, compared to last year, things are looking up for the Argos.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    When you've shit the bed in the marketing department FOREVER it's time to get your crap together. There's a ton of work to do in order for BMO to be a success for more then one year. The attitude shown on here by diehards is one thing but how many others in the GTA give a shit? Thus it's never to early to talk Argos. This isn't like any other city in Canada. You can't wait for diehards to fill a tiny stadium and call it a good thing. Our crappy little crowds from the dome would make BMO look full.
    People complain about how the team has been run for years and now you're all ok if they drag their asses yet again. Time will tell but I would hope to see or hear something soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    People complain about how the team has been run for years and now you're all ok if they drag their asses yet again. Time will tell but I would hope to see or hear something soon.
    No one here will be OK if they "drag their asses." Some of us, though, think the lack of activity AT THE MOMENT does not necessarily mean anyone is dragging their asses. I'm prepared to see what they do to market the team, when they have a schedule to market, before jumping down their throats.

It's amazing how some people want everything solved instantly. The Argos (arguably) haven't been properly marketed since 1991 -- 25 years ago. Yet some people expect a perfect marketing campaign to be rolled out within 15 days of new owners taking over.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Thus it seems like same old same old. If I was lucky enough to buy the Argos I would have have marketing lined up and ready for Jan 1st. The Argonauts have become bottom feeders in the TO sports scene and need all the help they can get. Obviously some people are willing to wait to see if anything is done.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

I understand the part of having no schedule to market right now. But there are a host of things that this management team should and could be doing right now. For instance instead of having only tfc workers talking on video of construction why don't the Argos bring a representive to talk how bmo field will look when the Argos move in!talk where the Argos bench will be ,where the visitors side will be,talk about how the end zones are going to end up, talk where the Argo grey cup banners will be etc... Where is some sort of countdown banner or something around bmo field telling and informing people that the Argos are indeed moving to bmo field? Banners at liberty village? still waiting for some sort of apologize to the Argo fans that have stuck with this team through out the last couple of years I realize that this new team of management had nothing to do with the last couple of years of crap thrown at Argo fans but they should address this matter to tell everyone that sort of crap will never happen to them again.
    I personally think the Argos should give all season tickets holders from past a free ticket or 50% off a ticket and a free bus ride to Hamilton for a game. The same deal can be made for ticat fans to bmo field. Bob young is a good supporter of cfl football and am sure he would be willing to make a deal like this to happen.
    For everyone thinking that Larry tanebum can put his nfl hat down for a day and put on his Argo hat come June walk down liberty village and snap his fingers and think everyone is going to follow him to bmo field to buy tickets has to give there head a shake. Work needs to be done now ASAP! They had all summer and fall to think this through!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Clearly the new regime is a disaster. They've owned the team for two weeks and haven't done anything. (Well maybe not anything ... just stuff that's visible enough for the chronic complainers to notice)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I am not panicking, but if you go on the CFL website, there is a section called "Check Down"..basically it goes around the league team by team discussing transactions. This past week each team was busy adding coaches or signing key players. All that could be posted about the Argos was that the team payed tribute to David Bowie via twitter. Not sure what to make of that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am not panicking, but if you go on the CFL website, there is a section called "Check Down"..basically it goes around the league team by team discussing transactions. This past week each team was busy adding coaches or signing key players. All that could be posted about the Argos was that the team payed tribute to David Bowie via twitter. Not sure what to make of that.
    Make of it that they are not going to make news up or make decisions about personnel or marketing just to satisfy panic-stricken fans. One would think that by now, after all we've been through as fans, a couple of weeks of quiet would not be cause for alarm. But one would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Thus it seems like same old same old. If I was lucky enough to buy the Argos I would have have marketing lined up and ready for Jan 1st. The Argonauts have become bottom feeders in the TO sports scene and need all the help they can get. Obviously some people are willing to wait to see if anything is done.
    If you were lucky enough to own the Argos, what would your marketing campaign have been on Jan. 1? Please buy tickets -- we don't know the schedule yet, but we're sure that won't matter to anyone?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Make of it that they are not going to make news up or make decisions about personnel or marketing just to satisfy panic-stricken fans. One would think that by now, after all we've been through as fans, a couple of weeks of quiet would not be cause for alarm. But one would be wrong.

I would bet they are saving some big announcements -- such as the Trevor Harris re-signing -- for the day they announce the sked, season tix for sale, Grey Cup, etc. They obviously need to make as big a splash as possible on that day, and then keep the heat on moving forward from there. No point wasting their breath right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The Argonauts already announced that they signed Barker, Milanovich, Stubler, Ray, Miles... are they supposed to make a signing every single week?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If anyone is looking for Argos news, I believe that they have their first free agent camp in the U.S. this weekend so it will be interesting to see who they find and sign from there. Otherwise, Rome wasn't built in a day and people have to have a little patience. We still have almost five months before training camp begins so there is ample time for all of the things to happen that the likes of Rocket want to see happen.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    No one here will be OK if they "drag their asses." Some of us, though, think the lack of activity AT THE MOMENT does not necessarily mean anyone is dragging their asses. I'm prepared to see what they do to market the team, when they have a schedule to market, before jumping down their throats.
    I'm not following at all how the schedule makes any difference in selling season tickets. Every team in the CFL not named the Argonauts, have been selling seasons tickets since the end of last season, so I think the seating chart is the biggest factor here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I would bet they are saving some big announcements -- such as the Trevor Harris re-signing --
    At least you're consistent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I'm not following at all how the schedule makes any difference in selling season tickets. Every team in the CFL not named the Argonauts, have been selling seasons tickets since the end of last season, so I think the seating chart is the biggest factor here.

The Argonauts have been selling season tickets too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

It's amazing how some people want everything solved instantly. The Argos (arguably) haven't been properly marketed since 1991 -- 25 years ago. Yet some people expect a perfect marketing campaign to be rolled out within 15 days of new owners taking over.
    And even that 1991 marketing campaign that rebuilt interest in the Argos on speed-dial, considering how quickly the Argo's image changed, didn't last because it wasn't sustained over the long run. I don't know how much effort the current owners will put into rebuilding interest in the Argos, but if it takes them some time to get going, l can live with that as long as the effort is sustained.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    And even that 1991 marketing campaign that rebuilt interest in the Argos on speed-dial, considering how quickly the Argo's image changed, didn't last because it wasn't sustained over the long run. I don't know how much effort the current owners will put into rebuilding interest in the Argos, but if it takes them some time to get going, l can live with that as long as the effort is sustained.
    Well said, Jerry! "Sustained" is the key word indeed.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

Every team not named the Argonauts has a strong base of existing STHs, for one. And the same ownership and marketing personnel as they had last year. And an existing stadium that has a football-first configuration that the org is familiar with. And none of the other teams is facing the pressure to get it right that the Argos are.

I can guarantee that if the Argos had raced out on Jan 1 with a hastily cobbled together sales campaign, they'd have been pilloried in the media and even on here. What is so hard about waiting a few weeks to see what they actually do before judging them?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The Argonauts have been selling season tickets too.
    They're selling deposits not season tickets, there is a difference.
    Every team not named the Argonauts has a strong base of existing STHs, for one. And the same ownership and marketing personnel as they had last year. And an existing stadium that has a football-first configuration that the org is familiar with. And none of the other teams is facing the pressure to get it right that the Argos are.

I can guarantee that if the Argos had raced out on Jan 1 with a hastily cobbled together sales campaign, they'd have been pilloried in the media and even on here. What is so hard about waiting a few weeks to see what they actually do before judging them?
    I'm not judging them, I've been one of the few around here preaching patience.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I've been self employed since 1988. No one looks to find my landscape company without advertising. Perhaps I just look at things differently then most. The Argonauts have historically dragged their asses about everything including marketing. The new regime has known for months and months that they were taking over this struggling, run into the ground franchise and they didn't at least run a few adds to say, We're Here To Stay or some other dumb assed line that would get the team back in the public's eye. I suppose they must think that BMO is the be all and end all. Obviously only a few of us wish to have seen something done. Only diehards know about the season tickets. So many people I have talked to don't even know that the team is going to play at BMO. I strike up conversations when people comment on my Argo gear.
    It's always one way or your looked at as freaked out, complaining, miserable, whining, hating. For shit sake's there is never any sort of debate. One way or the F'ing highway on this site. Pisses me off. This is pretty much about every friggin thing myself and a few others post. I guess I know nothing about nothing on a site with a bunch of bloody brilliant top notch no it all's.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    How can this be sustained if they do not get out to a good start there first year at bmo field? Time is running out on this thing wake up people! We already seen this new ownership group screw up on there first day of announcing that they bought the Argos with getting absolutely no publicity from it. Obviously there connections with ml$e are not to be that great considering that they couldn't tell them that they signed a new head coach for the leafs that day. All media types have basically given up on the Argos fan590,all newspapers in Toronto except for the sun, even tsn and tsn radio are getting into trying to act to big for the cfl and Argos to cover, just look at the awful job tsn did last year. They have to start doing something on there end to get some kind of buzz/talk of the Argos going to bmo field. And for those people that think bringing out a schedule and seating chart with prices next month is going to do the trick need to give there head a shake! A lot more needs to be done then just that! I realize ml$e has a good track record of papering the house with giving free tickets to advertisers/sponsors and such but that can only last for so long before people start to bail on this team.
    Timing is perfect right now to get some attention why wait a couple of months when the blue jays start there season or wait tell May when the raptors and maybe the leafs are in the playoffs good luck with getting any attention then. when I talk sports with people from work or outside and I mention Argos are heading to bmo field they have NO idea about them going to bmo field! This needs to change ASAP!