Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I had to ask. SMH.

OK - so you're good / down with standard CFL GOB practice. Nothing wrong with that - like I said: it is what it is. But maybe you want me to ignore pointing out the behaviour on a forum like this, and just blindly accept it as you do ? Did you comment on Tom Clements as a possible coaching hire by the Als ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    OK - so you're good / down with standard CFL GOB practice. Nothing wrong with that - like I said: it is what it is. But maybe you want me to ignore pointing out the behaviour on a forum like this, and just blindly accept it as you do ? Did you comment on Tom Clements as a possible coaching hire by the Als ?
    I make fun of Tom Clements all the time. I admit that. But if he were to be hired as a coach, I wouldn't give a usual paranoid GOB like comment about it. I would wait and see how he does before totally dismissing the move.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jarious Jackson has never been an offensive coordinator before, so wouldn't that mean he doesn't fit into the recycle trend we see in the CFL ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Jarious Jackson has never been an offensive coordinator before, so wouldn't that mean he doesn't fit into the recycle trend we see in the CFL ?
    Apparently, anybody that apprentices under a GOB is part of the GOB chain for life. Sort of the way Blake Nill is a GOB that goes from top job to top job in the CIS, therefore holding back younger "outside the box" guys.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Apparently, anybody that apprentices under a GOB is part of the GOB chain for life. Sort of the way Blake Nill is a GOB that goes from top job to top job in the CIS, therefore holding back younger "outside the box" guys.
    Sure - I suppose Nill could be considered a CIS GOB type; and maybe not surprising that he would be hired again there somewhere, as he has built 3 National Championship teams in his time there. Obviously - college ball is different than the pros though - (players only able to stay a max 5 years; recruiting is a whole different animal for building a roster; less paid coaches / quite limited budgets in CIS ball, etc.).

CFL GOB is a different kettle of fish; but a similar sub-species i guess ? ;o)

And you're also forgetting about my other criterion for qualifying for the CFL GOB club (aside from same old guys getting recycled /re-hired as key decision makers); and that would be same old offence - mostly pass play calling (70% + most of the time); QB always in shot-gun; one simple basic run play to the one back; little to any use of a real tight end or a fullback anymore. And some CIS offences might be headed to copy-cat the CFL same old GOB offensive ways, but there are still a lot of teams who use plenty of ground game and more diversity on offence.

But when ALL (20 some; not just 9) CIS teams feature that same old offence + only hire key decision makers who have recently been with another team in their league, then you could help me form/name a CIS football GOB club.

Same old/ same old = a hallmark of the GOBs. Not the Blues Brothers, but the real Good Ole Boys ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sure - I suppose Nill could be considered a CIS GOB type; and maybe not surprising that he would be hired again there somewhere, as he has built 3 National Championship teams in his time there. Obviously - college ball is different than the pros though - (players only able to stay a max 5 years; recruiting is a whole different animal for building a roster; less paid coaches / quite limited budgets in CIS ball, etc.).

CFL GOB is a different kettle of fish; but a similar sub-species i guess ? ;o)

And you're also forgetting about my other criterion for qualifying for the CFL GOB club (aside from same old guys getting recycled /re-hired as key decision makers); and that would be same old offence - mostly pass play calling (70% + most of the time); QB always in shot-gun; one simple basic run play to the one back; little to any use of a real tight end or a fullback anymore. And some CIS offences might be headed to copy-cat the CFL same old GOB offensive ways, but there are still a lot of teams who use plenty of ground game and more diversity on offence.

But when ALL (20 some; not just 9) CIS teams feature that same old offence + only hire key decision makers who have recently been with another team in their league, then you could help me form/name a CIS football GOB club.

Same old/ same old = a hallmark of the GOBs. Not the Blues Brothers, but the real Good Ole Boys ;o)
    And when CIS becomes more competitive rather than the same old same old 6 teams having a reasonable shot to win the Vanier Cup, and 40% of the games not decided by 30 some odd point margins, then I may also agree with you.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Lions name Rick LeLacheur team president
    3Down Staff 3downnation December 18, 2017

The B.C. Lions named Rich LeLacheur as the CFL’s club new president on Monday.

LeLacheur was the president and CEO of the Edmonton Eskimos from 2002 to 2011. He will start his new job in January.

The role has been vacant since Dennis Skulsky stepped aside as Lions president and CEO in April 2016.

“I am extremely pleased that Rick has accepted this critically important role with the Lions,” team owner David Braley said in a statement. “I have a great deal of respect for what he has accomplished both in private business as well as during his time in the CFL. I know he will be a tremendous asset to our organization and help guide it to new heights.”

LeLacheur, who is currently chairman of the board of Horse Racing Alberta, joins the Lions as the 30th president in franchise history at a critical time. Attendance has dipped dramatically in recent years, and Braley has been looking to sell the club.

“I am honoured and excited to be part of this historic and respected organization,” LeLacheur said in the statement. “The B.C. Lions have been an integral part of the Canadian sports landscape for more than six decades, and there are tremendous opportunities for it to experience unprecedented growth.

“I know the passion David has for this team and this community, and I’m grateful for the confidence and trust he has placed in me. I can’t wait to get started.”

An Edmonton native, LeLacheur’s addition is just the latest connection to the Eskimos for the Lions. B.C. hired former Eskimos player and executive Ed Hervey as its GM last month, while former assistant coach Jarious Jackson was named the club’s new offensive co-ordinator last week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Reinebold named Lions new ST Coordinator. Good move by them IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Reinebold named Lions new ST Coordinator. Good move by them IMO.
    Agreed. Rainey might be scary good again with Reinbold coaching up return schemes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Nice to see a decent guy get another coaching job👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After Dennis Skulsky retired in January 2017, David Braley and the Lions went a whole year without a president. They finally hired one this month: Rick LeLacheur, who was Eskimo president from 2002 to 2011. However, he openly admits that the Lions facd major problems, including appealing to millennials, which may be extra difficult for a 69 year old president. He's also had problems with Ed Hervey, the new Lions GM, when both were with the Eskimos.

Rick LeLacheur has just finished his first three days as president of the B.C. Lions — and this much he’s learned ...
    “Everyone is aware of the challenges,” LeLacheur says at the Lions’ practice facility in Surrey. “No one ever said this was going to be easy. We just have to roll up our sleeves and get to work.”
    Which sounds simple enough. Unfortunately, the problems facing the Lions are anything but simple. ...
    He has a tight window to prepare the Lions’ business operations for the upcoming season. He has a myriad of questions to answer about the team’s future and his long-term role. He has to begin rebuilding consumer confidence in the Lions’ brand.
    The good news is LeLacheur is a veteran hand; a no-BS Albertan who has few illusions about the challenge before him. His mere presence also fills a leadership void for a Lions’ organization that appeared directionless last year.
    And he’s worn about 24 different hats during his career, running Grey Cups in Edmonton, the 2001 World Athletic Championships in his hometown, serving on the Esks’ board and playing a role in hiring Hugh Campbell as the Esks’ GM in the mid-’80s and Hervey as the team’s GM in 2013. Throw in a couple of Grey Cup championships with the Esks and it seems there isn’t much the former Edmonton Oil Kings’ captain hasn’t seen or done in Canadian sports.
    But the Lions, especially in their current condition, are a different animal than Edmonton and the Eskimos. He’s about to find out how different.
    “I don’t think the brand is as broken as it was (when David Braley bought the team in the mid-’90s),” LeLacheur says. “I think the brand is better and the CFL is better. A lot of that has to do with TSN. But you’re only as strong as your team. In that sense, the business side is no different than the football side. You can’t run a business based on silos where marking is here, the ticketing is there, the sponsorship is over here. It’s all part of one team. I think, more than anything, I’ll bring that.”
    It’s instructive to note that, during his first CFL board of governors’ meetings, LeLacheur and his wife Joan were hosted by then-Lions’ president Bob Ackles and his wife Kay. That meeting left a deep impression on LeLacheur who’ll now attempt to restore some of the planks Ackles had built before his death in 2008. ...

These include a rededication to customer service, the rebuilding of bridges between the Lions and the city’s and province’s football communities, and heightening the Lions’ presence at any number of breakfasts, lunches and fundraisers. But LeLacheur now faces challenges Ackles didn’t confront in his return to the Lions, at least challenges that weren’t fully formed. Maybe the biggest issue confronting the Leos, and all CFL teams for that matter, is making their product relevant to millennials. That’s a tough sell at the best of times. It’s especially tough for a 69-year-old who made his bones in a different media landscape.
    “I’ve got a friend who says you have to know enough about technology to deal with your grandkids,” LeLacheur says. “The whole thing is about social media now and the digital side. That’s the future.”

Before he was hired by the Lions, LeLacheur ran Horse Racing Alberta where he learned something about reaching a younger crowd. “They weren’t interested in having 30 minutes between each race,” he says. “They want something to do. It’s the same thing with us. Our marketing has to be geared to social media.”
    The new president, in fact, registers as a progressive on a couple of fronts. In Edmonton, he locked horns with Hervey over his treatment of the team’s “stakeholders” — read media. Under Hervey’s watch, the Eskimos closed the team’s locker-room after practice. ...

“I think he’s learned,” LeLacheur said of Hervey. “We’ve had great debates on it. I’ve told him he’s wrong on some of the things he did with the media.” “Leacher” is asked to give a quick snapshot of the Lions’ new GM. “He’s focused, he’s a hard worker and he wants to win. That’s what you get and he’ll go at it night and day.”
    Which might fix the Lions’ on-field problems. The new sheriff in town hopes it works off the field, as well.
    http://theprovince.com/sports/footba...store-the-roar

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC has hired former WR Marcus Howell, who played 11 years in the league with the Bombers, Renegades and Stampeders as passing game coordinator and receivers coach. The signing also reunites him with Lions OC Jarius Jackson, after they spent the last two seasons coaching for the Riders.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ed Hervey now admits that he made major mistakes in Edmonton, but says he has learned from new Lions president LeLacheur and Wally. This will help build a better relationship between LeLacheur and Hervey than existed in Edmonton, but still leaves BC with many problems to solve.

“I have an experienced coach in Wally who I can bounce ideas off of,” said Hervey, the B.C. Lions’ new general manager, here at the CFL winter meetings. “The best thing about coming to the Lions is that I can now bounce decisions off Wally. I have the opportunity to learn things I didn’t quite learn in Edmonton.
    There have already been a couple of situations where I was going in with decisions I was going to make and Wally gave me a quick: ‘Have you thought about this?’ Normally I’d go in and steamroll and make things happen. His experience gave me a different approach on how to handle a situation that required a softer touch.” ...

“Having some time off and having some reflection has been a good thing. And again I have to give some credit to Wally because he’s helping. More and more, I realize that we’re very similar in a lot of ways. He just handles things a lot differently in ways that I never thought that it was possible to have success in the business. I think I’ve been provided with a real opportunity to grow in this sport and grow in this league, I couldn’t ask for a better mentor to work with.”
    And it’s the same with LeLacheur down the hall. “I’ll give Rick this credit. Rick was the only person to look me in the eye and tell me that I was wrong about the live mic episode two years ago.”

Hervey allowed head coach Jason Maas to avoid using the live mic during a game after every other coach in the league had done it. He basically told rights-holder TSN to take a hike and created a major negative story that took on its own life for the final two weeks of the season.
    “Rick was the only one to explain to me the dynamics. He gave me the right advice. Rick basically said he’d be putting his foot down, that it was a bad move on my part.”
    Hervey was getting the same advice from the media. He didn’t listen. ...

His firing by the Eskimos the year after winning the Grey Cup was all about control of the rest of the operation that he allegedly tried to seize from Len Rhodes combined with his incredible lack of ability to understand the needs of promotion, media access and having a user-friendly organization.
    LeLacheur continued having a relationship with Hervey after walking away from the game due to health issues.
    “We’d meet for lunch once or twice a year after I retired and we’d talk about things. I told him he was wrong about some of the things he would do and that we needed all the promotion we could get. What happened between him and Len Rhodes, that’s between them,” said LeLacheur of his successor who fired Hervey with the backing and/or urging of the board.
    There’s no doubt that some of the stuff Hervey managed to get away with in allegedly attempting to run almost every aspect of the organization from top to bottom he would never managed to get away with if LeLacheur were president an CEO.
    What he’s dealing with in Vancouver now is perfect to keep Hervey coloring within the lines. With LeLacheur and Buono surrounding him he has two guys who get it more than most people in the league.
    Buono has had an open dressing room policy with the media for his entire career. And now the CFL has a strong commissioner in Randy Ambrosie who values promotion and access and being user-friendly for fans.
    Getting fired as GM in Edmonton and having a year out of the game to think about it, taught him a few lessons. “Ed and I have talked about it and Wally and Ed have talked about it. I don’t see that being an issue at all going forward,” said LeLacheur of Hervey’s failure to figure some things out away from the football.
    http://edmontonsun.com/sports/footba...eas-with-buono

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Farhan Lalji is reporting that Jonathan Jennings has agreed to restructure his contract downward from the $300,000 he was scheduled to earn in 2018, after getting $175,000 in 2017.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/01/15/l...ley-alouettes/

Rutley's a decent back, Johnson's still there, so maybe the Lions want to go back to a 2 RB system ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL Antonio Johnson and Cody Husband discuss why they decided to resign with the team that led the CFL in QB sacks and pressures below.

The pair of hulking offensive linemen put pen to paper on new contracts last week. Now the onus is to prove to the new boss they are capable of helping their unit complete the task and give Jonathon Jennings more time and space to work with.
    “We allowed too much pressure last year, and we have to be better,” Husband admits.
    “Right now, we’re looking at that as our goal. We want to make sure we protect Jonathon more, give him time and allow him to be the player he can be. Last year was a down year, but we know what he can do.” ...
    The truth lies in the numbers. The Lions allowed the most sacks (49) and quarterback pressures (141) in 2017. ...

“We didn’t like the numbers that we had last year, and we know we need to be a lot better as a unit,” Johnson added. “For him (Hervey) to invest in me, that shows me he believes I am one of the guys who can get the job done.”
    Johnson emerged as one of the pleasant surprises from 2016 training camp, parlaying the competition into a starting role at left tackle and productive first year up north. Heading into year three, he has elected to not return home to Texas this offseason and train with Husband and other teammates at the club’s Surrey practice facility. ...

“I decided that if they were going to invest in me I might as well just come back and put all the work in here,” Johnson explained. “That’s what made the decision to come back easy: to put the work in here and get closer to (strength and conditioning) coach Boyko. ...

Husband had an adjustment of his own to start that 2016 camp, moving over to his current position at centre. With four CFL years already under his belt, the New Westminster Hyacks product knew he had to take advantage of the opportunity. Now he thrives on directing traffic up front.
    “Its mainly just being more comfortable with the position and telling people where to go. I know I can get everyone in the places they have to be. I’ll guide the offence and communicate with everyone, so it’s going well. I’m happy with where I’m at,” Husband explained. “If something goes wrong it falls on me. I have to make sure everything goes right. It’s something that motivates me: I want to make sure I do the best that I can.”
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/01/15/i...w-for-big-duo/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lions GM Ed Hervey discusses why BC made the trade for Rutley:

Rutley could possibly push Jeremiah Johnson for the starter’s role at training camp. Hervey also talked about how, before the trade, Chris Rainey would have automatically been the next in line at running back if Johnson went down for an extended period and the Lions want to avoid overloading Rainey considering how important he is to their special teams game.

“The trade helps us create a more competitive environment at training camp,” said Hervey. “We have to come in and be ready to compete for our positions. Regardless of how well we played as individuals last season, we need to get more out of our players.
    “We also want to be even more of a running team this year, and that’s going to put more emphasis on the running backs. It’s already a physically demanding position. How many teams do you see start the season with a running back and go through the entire season with just him? We want to make sure we had another quality veteran we could rely on.” ...
    “He’s shown, when he’s played in games, that he can be effective,” said Hervey. “He needed a fresh start. Hopefully he sees this an opportunity.”
    http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...7-0f849da98cdb

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Any hopes that LB Adam Bighill would be returning soon to the BC Lions has been delayed by his signing of a reserve/future contract to return to the New Orleans Saints.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have signed a five year contract to continue with TSN 1040 radio, whom they have been with since 2003, for their games. Bob Marjanovich will continue to call games alongside colour commentator and former Lions QB Guilio Caravatta with Farhan Lalji, Dave Naylor and Glen Suitor involved in the pre- and post-game shows.