Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Assistant DB coach Stanley Franks recalls the knee injury that not only ended his career but almost cost him his leg and how he has evolved from a TC guest coach to his current position in the article below.

http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/02/st...apter-two-den/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It turns out that Shawn Gore retired (or was pushed out) in order to join the Vancouver Police.

The B.C. Lions receiver announced his retirement Thursday, the same day he was to be sworn in as a member of the Vancouver Police Department along with 29 other new recruits.
    “I am proud to have played my professional football career with the BC Lions,” Gore said in a release. “Wally Buono and the entire Lions organization gave me the opportunity to excel on the field as an athlete and off the field as a mentor, husband and father. My family and I thank the entire B.C. Lions family for a great seven years. My fellow teammates, coaches and fans have made this a truly memorable experience.”
    Drafted by the Lions out of Bishop’s University as a second-round pick in the 2010 draft, the six-foot, 200-pounder spent all seven of his CFL seasons with B.C., appearing in 113 regular-season games, making 307 receptions for 3,911 yards and 20 touchdowns. The Toronto native also spent his off-season volunteering with the B.C. Lions’ community outreach team, working extensively with youth.
    “Shawn has informed the club that he has decided to retire and pursue a new path,” Lions GM and head coach Wally Buono said in a statement.

“He is an outstanding husband and father and we are very grateful for his many contributions to our organization both on and off the field. We wish Shawn and his entire family the very best.”
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/f...720/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wally discusses the Lions draft which is only hours away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    BC Lions filled their dressing room with SeasTicket holders tonight.

Marco Annuzio tweeted

DRAFT DAY party at the locker room with some of our awesome season ticket holders!

#CFLDraft #BCLions @BCLions @CFL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    WR Danny Vandevoort talks about being Lions first round pick in the video below.

http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/07/va...-the-bc-lions/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Director of Player Personnel talks about the Lions later round picks.

Last edited by jerrym; 05-16-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Mount Allison WR Dakota Brush, Lions' sixth round pick, promised his dying mother he would do everything he could to make it in the CFL.

Perhaps the most inspirational part of his journey is the fact he is here after a promise he made to his mother Teresa before she passed away from lung cancer two years ago. It was the end result of a battle, which began when Brush came home for Christmas during his second year at University.
    “When I got off the plane her hair was shaved from the treatment and that’s when she told me she was diagnosed,” said Brush from his campus home in Sackville, New Brunswick. ...

“When I came back for the holiday I drove her to and from chemo and stuff. After I went back I got a phone call saying it wasn’t looking good and that I should come back home. It wound up being a mis-communication between the doctors and our family but I was able to get some time off school and be with her. She was getting worse and worse but told me to go back and focus on school and football.”
    Brush received a similar phone call only about ten days later and this time he would not make it home in time: he would have to say his tearful goodbye over the phone. It was right then and there that Brush made the ultimate promise to the woman who brought him into this world.
    “My Sister held the phone up to her ear and I told her that since day one I said that I wanted to play in the CFL and become a pro football player. I said ‘I promise you I am going to do everything in my power to make it.’
    Sunday night made that a reality. I kept that promise and I couldn’t be happier that I was able to do that in her memory and for me as a whole.”
    No doubt Teresa was smiling from up above after receiving an early Mother’s Day gift. Her son is coming off an impressive four-year career with the Mounties, leading the program in receiving yards in his final two seasons. Winning that AUS conference championship in 2014 ranked up there as his top highlight.
    Now Brush is focused and excited for the start of rookie camp on May 25th and the opportunity to work with some pretty good personnel.
    “In high school I watched Travis Lulay and I remember Manny Arceneaux being with the Vikings before heading back there. I just remember growing up watching BC Lions games and being really excited,” said Brush. ...

“Dakota is a big receiver and professional football is a big man’s game,” said director of football operations Neil McEvoy.
    “Dakota has the size and weight to play at the pro level and he will have the opportunity to come to training camp and be a possible roster player for us this year.”
    http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/09/dakota-brush-promise/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lions expect QB Jonathan Jennings to get a lot better this year as he gains more and more experience.

Consider that Bo Levi Mitchell saw limited duty as the No. 1 pivot for the Calgary Stampeders in 2013. By 2015, he was throwing for 4,551 yards, with 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Last year, he went for 5,385 yards through the air, to go along with 32 majors and eight picks, and was named the CFL’s most outstanding player.
    Travis Lulay was in his third season with the Lions and second full campaign as the starting quarterback in 2011. That was the year he was named the CFL’s MOP, thanks to his 4,815 yards, to go with 32 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Khari Jones, now the Lions’ offensive coordinator, was in his second full season as the main man under centre with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2001 when he took MOP honours, after putting up 4,545 yards, 30 touchdown and 23 interceptions. His numbers were even better the following campaign, with 5,334 yards, 46 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. ...

“I remember in 2002 it felt like the game had got easy at times,” Jones, 45, explained Wednesday. “It’s hard to get that feeling. It’s certainly nice to get that feeling.
    “It’s just that experience. It’s seeing it out there on the field. Nothing takes the place of that, of seeing things again and again. You’re just better at reading the defence and knowing how they’re trying to trick you.
    “I’m excited for Jonathon. I’m looking forward to his maturity as a quarterback. It may not automatically come through in the stats, but we are going to see him be a better overall quarterback.” ...

There are some flaws with our argument. We admit it. Among them, Mitchell just turned 27, Lulay was 28 in 2011 and Jones was 31 in 2002. Jennings doesn’t turn 25 until July.
    Jones contends that quarterbacks find their form at various ages, though.
    “I think the biggest thing is when your mental and physical abilities are peaking together … when you’re at the height of both,” he said. “Sometimes it happens earlier. Sometimes guys are able to sustain it for awhile. You look at Tom Brady. I’d argue he’s playing the best football he ever has right now and he’s about to turn 40. He’s been able to stay at his peak physically.”
    Jennings lost a favourite target in the off-season when slotback Shawn Gore, 30, who finished third on the Lions in receptions (59) and receiving yards (835) in 2016, opted to retire to join the Vancouver Police Department.
    They added an offensive weapon, too, with the signing of free-agent wide receiver Chris Williams, 29. Last season with the Ottawa Redblacks, he finished tied for second in the CFL in touchdown receptions (10), behind only the Lions’ Manny Arceneaux (13), and sixth in receiving yards (1,246), despite missing the final four regular-season games with a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus.
    “Chris Williams scares people. I know he scared me when he was in Hamilton and when he was in Ottawa,” explained Wally Buono, the Lions general manager and coach.
    “And there’s a reason why he scares you. He’s explosive, he’s dangerous. You take away the injury last year, and I’m not sure his numbers aren’t even more impressive.
    “My whole theme as both coach and GM was to surround our quarterback with the best weapons he could have.”
    It will be interesting to see what kind of step forward that quarterback takes this season, with a little more experience under his belt.
    “I think I’ve grown a lot from my first year,” said Jennings. “First year is a time where you have to play off your natural ability and not think too much. Early last season, I was starting to think a little too much, like I knew something. I knew a little bit more than I did in my first season, but I was still growing and trying to manage those emotions.

http://theprovince.com/sports/footba...r-but-how-much

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Last year, Dylan Ainsworth was injured in the third day of the Riders' TC and missed the entire season. He is now glad to be back in his hometown, Vancouver, both for the opportunity to play football and to help his father, who has cancer.

The defensive lineman was injured on the third day of training camp with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, a neck problem initially thought to be a concussion that would ultimately cost him the entire 2016 season.

The next blow was far more serious — Ainsworth learned his father had been diagnosed with cancer.
    "The injury itself, when your body is your job, it does affect your mindset. It’s a setback," said the 24-year-old. "But my dad’s health is more important than my playing career. That was the thing that really hit hardest." ...

The six-foot-three, 247-pound Ainsworth made a name for himself in Saskatchewan with inspired play in limited action. His long hair flaring out the back of his helmet made him hard to miss.
    He was named Saskatchewan's special teams player of the year in 2015 before the lost 2016 campaign, but feels 100 per cent healthy and ready to take the next step as a contributor on defence with the Lions.
    If that turns out to be the case for the 11th pick in the 2014 CFL draft, it would suit B.C. head coach and general manager Wally Buono just fine.
    "We've always liked his size, we've always liked his speed," said Buono, who had the 12th selection in Ainsworth's draft year. "We want to get bigger on special teams, we want to get more physical on special teams.
    "What he can do on defence is going to be up to him."
    The Lions could have an opening in the defensive line rotation for a Canadian in 2017 after Jabar Westerman left as a free agent. It's possible Ainsworth might also find a home as a linebacker.
    "It's just time to transition that tenacity and that athleticism to the defensive side of the ball," said Ainsworth, his hair now buzzed short. "I want to prove myself."
    He used to watch Lions games from the stands at B.C. Place Stadium and can't wait to play in front of friends and family, especially his father.
    "He's the architect of my career," said Ainsworth. "He was the most influential person in getting me from high school and then university. He did it all.
    "I would have gone back (to the Roughriders) if the deal was right, but it kind of all lined up where I could come back home and play and be with my dad.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...ome-b-c-lions/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wally talks about the upcoming in this podcast, in which he sees the Lions as having done a good job of recruiting, but still feels the Stampeders are the team to beat.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...ill-team-beat/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The National content in BC's secondary is changing.

The trade of Mike Edem to Saskatchewan and release of Eric Fraser officially signalled the ratio change for this year’s secondary. Assuming Steven Clarke or another import makes the seamless transition to safety, the national contingent could be a factor at either field corner or halfback. This is where the signing of Matt Bucknor in February may come in handy.
    “I’m a corner but I can be pretty versatile and play any position. There were a few games where I played at halfback. Whatever the team wants me to do right? I’m going to go out there, show what I can do and leave the decisions up to the coaches.”
    Keynan Parker, Anthony Thompson and 2017 fourth round draft pick Nate Hamlin round out the Canadian content in the secondary.
    The chance to compete for a couple of different spots was no doubt a selling point, as was the chance to win. Bucknor appeared in four games with the Calgary last season before they surprisingly fell short against Ottawa in the 104th Grey Cup. He was also a member of the Hamilton squad that lost to Saskatchewan in 2013, his second year in the league.
    “We have a really good defence and an outstanding offence, “said Bucknor of his new squad.
    “Ronnie Yell is a pretty solid corner and I respect TJ Lee’s game. I like Loucheiz Purifoy too and also Steven Clarke. It’s a solid group of guys and I am looking forward to working with them and contributing.” ...
    He is extra motivated after talking with his new defensive coordinator about schemes and plans for a defence that knows it needs to create more interceptions in 2017.
    http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/15/st...ies-tradition/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    National OL David Foucault is a very big man with very big shoes to fill in replacing six time International CFL All-Star Jovan Olafioye, who he was traded for.

At 6-foot-8 and 315 pounds, Foucault was by far the biggest player at the BC Lions recent mini-camp. ...
    “There is a little bit of pressure,” Foucault said. “I know he was an all-star and here for a long time. I think it’s a good pressure because I (want to) put myself to be on the top and at a high level. That’s why I work hard. I want to be like him. I have to show that.” ...

The amiable 28-year-old is one year younger than Olafioye, two inches taller and maybe 10 pounds lighter. While Olafioye was a proven commodity, Foucault is still a raw talent bursting with potential. He’s a big, big man,” said Wally Buono, the Lions’ head coach and general manager. “He moves well. He’s competitive. He enjoys football. You want to see a guy with a work ethic, you want to see a guy that has the physical skills. You also want to see a guy that enjoys being out there. So far, I’ve been very pleased.”
    Foucault admits he’s still shaking off some rust. He was released by the NFL Carolina Panthers during training camp last year and spent the rest of the season at his parents’ home, waiting for the telephone to ring. ...
    Foucault played four seasons with the University of Montreal Carabins, making the switch from defensive line to offence in 2011. He was part of the Carabins team that won the 2014 Vanier Cup and was selected fifth overall by the Montreal Alouettes in that year’s CFL draft. Foucault decided to sign as a free agent with Carolina and made the 53-man roster. He appeared in five games during the 2014 season playing both right and left tackle. His only start was in October 2014 when he played at left tackle, protecting quarterback Cam Newton’s blind side, in a Thursday night game against New Orleans. ...
    The Lions decided to trade for Foucault’s playing rights when they couldn’t agree on a new contract with Olafioye. Anxious to resume his football career, Foucault signed a three-year deal with B.C. and was happy to attend the mini-camp. “I want to be a starter so I want to be familiar with the system and the playbook,” he said. During the mini-camp Foucault played both tackle and guard. “I usually play tackle but if they ask me to play guard, I will play guard,” he said. “It’s a bit different but I have to do them both. ...
    He also is re-adjusting to the defence lining up one yard away. “It’s the biggest adjustment,” Foucault said. “The D-linemen are smaller (here) but faster. You have to . . . be more patient. When you have no yard, like down south, you have to go fast and be more physical. Now I have to be more patient.” ...
    Buono said Dan Dorazio, the Lions’ veteran offensive line coach, met with Foucault and came away impressed with his intelligence and understanding of the game. “You get a guy who has been in the NFL for the two years he was there, obviously the football culture is big there,” said Buono. “That has helped him be a guy who understands football. That kind of guy is going to help your team.”
    The additional of Foucault gives the Lions the option of starting an all-Canadian offensive line along with Cody Husband, Hunter Steward, Jas Dhillon, Kirby Fabien and Charles Vaillancourt.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/15/morris...changes-front/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wally talks about what has made him the winningest coach in CFL history.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    @CFLNews Tweet:.@FifthQtr cites horrible transit problems in Vancouver as a major issue in #BCLions attendance issues tsn.ca/radio/vancouve… #CFL

We could say much the same in Toronto, but my memoir the 70s at Exhibition Stadium was similar. 33,000 fans leaving the CNE wasn't too pleasant.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have signed three International DBs: Mondo Williams, Kalliy Ceesay, and Justin Thomas.

The B.C. Lions announced the signing of three Americans defensive backs on Thursday, including Mondo Williams, an Appalachian State Mountaineers product who recently attended San Francisco 49ers rookie minicamp.
    Williams, who’s from Iowa City, appeared in 25 games over two years at Appalachian State, recording 40 solo tackles, six interceptions and 10 knockdowns. He’s listed at 5-foot-11 and 175 pounds. Prior to his time with the Mountaineers, he spent the 2013 and 2014 seasons in junior college at Iowa Western.The Lions also inked Kalliy Ceesay, a 6-foot-2, 215 pounder who had 60 solo tackles and a pair of interceptions in 33 games over three seasons with the Eastern Oregon Mountaineers, and Justin Thomas, a 5-foot-8, 185 pounder who recorded 104 tackles and three picks in 50 games over four years with the Utah Utes.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/f...872/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wally thinks seventh overall pick Junior Luke has a good chance of becoming one of the six or seven rotating DL in his first year because of his pass rushing ability.

Luke was a pass-rushing, quarterback-sacking force at the University of Montreal. He was also named the top lineman at the NCAA National Bowl all-star game in Daytona Beach, Fla. and was invited to the New York Giants rookie mini-camp.
    His 1-on-1 drills domination at CFL Combine sold the Lions on a solid 6-2, 290-pound guy who was once soft and lazy, got a motivational kick in the football pants and now believes the sky is the limit for his emerging game. ...

The Lions plan on starting four import defensive linemen this season, so being on the active roster and getting into the rotation of six or seven should be a reasonable target for a big guy like Luke with remarkable quickness.
    Add the fact that injuries and the length of the season will take a toll on both sides of the ball and there’s plenty of incentive to showcase skills.
    “It’s my take-off, my first step,” said Luke. “I get out of my stance pretty quickly. I still need to be consistent with my pass rush and I play the run pretty well. I think they (Lions) were impressed by my speed because at 290, I still have a lot of quickness.”
    The Lions had 52 quarterback sacks last season and 11 came from defensive end Alex Bazzie, who signed earlier this month with the Carolina Panthers. Linebacker Solomon Elimimian had eight sacks and lineman Craig Roh had seven. Luke had 13 solo tackles in eight CIS games last season to go with six sacks. He even had an interception off a screen pass and a fumble recovery to speak of his reads and reactions.
    “I like his size, but he has that pass-rushing skill and he’s an athlete,” said Lions general manager and coach Wally Buono. “He has a tremendous get-off (from the snap) and when you look at interior linemen, that’s critical. He can also play the end and he can play standing up. And when you have that explosion off the ball, it gives you power and quickness and big (offensive) guys don’t like inside linemen who are quick.”
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/f...979/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo Jeremiah Johnson's $100,000 contract and Wally's comments about him indicate Buono intends to use him as his feature RB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Do the BC Lions have the best TC location in the CFL? I just saw a picture of HC Wally Bueno on the practice field surrounded by the Rockies. Located in Kamloops 4 hours from Vancouver. I guess proximity wasn't a factor.

If the Argos were going all out, where would they locate? Port Carling? Huntsville? I guess if Huntsville had the facilities for a G8 Summit, they could host a CFL TC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Do the BC Lions have the best TC location in the CFL? I just saw a picture of HC Wally Bueno on the practice field surrounded by the Rockies. Located in Kamloops 4 hours from Vancouver. I guess proximity wasn't a factor.

If the Argos were going all out, where would they locate? Port Carling? Huntsville? I guess if Huntsville had the facilities for a G8 Summit, they could host a CFL TC.
    Thunder Bay !!! - really nice town; beautiful scenery/nature. They could build a good ship Argo and sail up the Great Lakes.