Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lions are going after National DB Matt Buckner of Calgary and DE DeQuinn Evans of the Als.

Last edited by jerrym; 02-15-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wally has changed his approach from last year.

Last season Wally Buono went on a free agent shopping spree.
    So far this year the BC Lions’ general manager and head coach seems satisfied restocking the CFL’s team shelves by resigning his own players.
    “Whether it’s in the coaching staff or the scouting department or even among the players, I think continuity is critical,” said the man who has more CFL victories than any other coach. “You can’t build if you are continually overhauling your whole football club.”
    On Tuesday’s first official day of free agency, the Lions announced they had re-signed potential free agents defensive back Ronnie Yell, receiver Marco Iannuzzi and defensive tackle Mic’hael Brooks. This comes on the heels of Sunday’s announcement receiver Bryan Burnham had agreed on a two-year deal.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/14/buono-l...k-free-agents/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Chris Williams joins BC through 2018.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have signed National Calgary DB Matt Buckner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Buono on new DE Dequinn Evans.

“DeQuin is an athletic defensive end who gives us a great starting point at that position heading into 2017,” said GM and head coach Wally Buono. “He’s very quick off the ball and I think of him as a ‘young veteran’ given his experience to this point in his career.”
    Originally coming to the CFL as a member of the Calgary Stampeders in 2014, Evans spent two seasons with the Stamps including their Grey Cup-winning campaign, recording 19 defensive stops and three sacks over 13 regular season appearances. He signed with Montreal last year and dressed for five games tallying four stops and a sack.
    http://www.bclions.com/2017/02/16/li...-dequin-evans/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Mike Beamish discusses the Lions signing of free agents WR/KR Chris Williams and LB Tony Burnett.

Williams — a premier free agent whom the Lions hope to sign, pending medical clearance — injured his right knee on Oct. 7 last year. He tweeted his “successful surgery” on Oct. 28, but he knew his days with the Redblacks were over when he was eligible to become a free agent four months later. ...
    Ottawa didn’t re-sign him before the free agency period began on Tuesday, electing to go after replacements Kenny Shaw and Diontae Spencer from the Toronto Argonauts, players who are younger, cheaper, and potentially less problematic.
    “That’s just professional football,” Williams told Postmedia. “It’s going to be a new (Ottawa) team. There’s going to be new players.”
    Williams is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver Thursday evening and will be checked out by club doctors on Friday. If everything is to their satisfaction, the Lions will have another potential game-breaker under contract for two more years.
    “I don’t want to speculate at this point, but I’m confident everything will be positive,” said Lions general manager Wally Buono. “Everybody is expecting the best. Players come back from these injuries in six, seven, eight months. Eight months would take us into June. Would we pressure Chris to play in pre-season games? Probably not.”
    By adding a slippery, hip-feinting, dippy-doodling receiver with three straight seasons of 1,200 yards or more, the Lions potentially have the league’s greatest show on turf. Fleet feet, sure hands and a flair for the spectacular.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...n-on-lions-den

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Buono discusses Lion signings and indicates there is more to come.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Because of concussions, Shawn Gore is considering whether it's time to retire despite having a good year in 2016.

Assessing his future seems a natural inclination for a veteran receiver who has played seven seasons in the CFL with game log that sits at 113. Yet, as Gore is quick to note, that doesn’t include playoffs and pre-season games, which are just as taxing.
    Gore doesn’t know — or is trying to forget — how many concussions he’s had in his career, but the most recent of those incidents, against the Ottawa Redblacks in Week 15 last year, had unexpected consequences after he was cleared to play again.

In a Week 19 game in Regina, the team’s third-leading receiver suffered a relapse of concussion symptoms, even though there was no obvious indication of a telling hit.
    Gore missed two games — the regular-season finale and the West Division semifinal playoff — before he started in the Lions’ 42-15 defeat to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Final.
    In football, players are trained to say, no matter how they feel, “I’m good, just nicked. I can play through this.”
    But as a dad, and a family bread winner, Gore weighs more carefully now the costs of paying the price.
    “You view those symptoms with a little different perspective when you have kids,” he explains. “When I was younger, I may have pushed through them. Now, I want to make sure I’m good and ready before I return.”
    With 59 catches and 835 yards, he ended 2016 one catch and one yard shy of matching his best CFL production — 2011, the year the Lions won their last Grey Cup. Gore probably had a good shot at 1,000 yards for the first time had he not missed the time he did.
    http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...ire-from-lions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former BC Lion and winner of CFL Rookie of the Year and Most Outstanding Defensive Player Cameron Wake has extended through 2018 with the Miami Dolphins.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Buono discusses what signing free agent Chris Williams does for the Lions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC has signed four former NFL DL for TC ensuring there will be lots of competition for the defensive line. The DL are Kenneth Boatright, Louis Palmer, Marquis Jackson, and Luther Maddy.

Boatright (6’4”, 245) spent the past three years in the NFL with Seattle and Dallas. The defensive end attended Southern Illinois for two years before signing with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2013.
    Palmer (6’2”, 265) was a free agent signing of the Detroit Lions last year and attended training camp with the club. He enjoyed a productive four-year, 48-game career at Central Michigan tallying 44 solo tackles, five sacks as well as a pair of forced fumbles and 13 tackles for a loss.
    Jackson (6’4”, 255) signed with the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted free agent in 2013 out of Portland State. The Los Angeles native also had a short stint with the Oakland Raiders before signing with the Arena League’s Portland Thunder where he played 18 games through 2014 and 2015. Last year he was in camp with the Chicago Bears.
    Maddy (6’2”, 285) enjoyed a productive career at Virginia Tech before signing with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent last year. The Florida product was an All-ACC selection as a senior in 2015 and earned a trip to the East-West Shrine game in 2016. He wrapped his time with the Hokies collecting 74 tackles including 29 for a loss along with 14 career sacks.
    http://www.bclions.com/2017/02/21/bc...line-foursome/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The rich are getting richer in talent.

Khari Jones is in paradise. He’s been smiling for almost a week. The whiteboard in his office has a higher than normal amount of X’s and O’s scribblings and imaginary plays. Who can blame him? The Lions’ offensive coordinator was already in pretty excellent shape in the first 48 hours after free agency. His starting offensive line from 2016 was intact.

Running backs Jeremiah Johnson and Chris Rainey were long since re-signed. As for the receiving corps, Bryan Burnham, Nick Moore, and Marco Iannuzzi had put pen to paper as well. And then Chris Williams came along. Of the CFL’s most electrifying playmakers of this decade, yes we’ll go that far, was officially locked up on Friday.
    His addition goes a long way in determining the fact Jones could have the most potent offence to work with in 2017. Any way you slice it, he has an embarrassment of riches at the receiver position. ...

“We have a group that I am excited about,” said Jones about the makeup of his projected offence. “It’s similar to last year where teams have to decide on who they’re going to try take away. It’s great to have this many options. We know what Manny can do, we know what Chris can do, we Burnham can do, we know what Jeremiah can do and JJ is coming into his own as a quarterback. It’s a very exciting time but it’s still going to take a lot of work.”
    It shouldn’t take Jones long to re-establish a rapport with Williams. The two worked together in Hamilton in 2010 and 2011 when Jones served in the similar capacity of OC. Marcel Bellefeuille was the Ticats head coach and now the trifecta is officially reunited.
    “I am very excited,” said Jones of the Williams signing. “He still is pretty explosive. He’s a great person to have on your team because you can do a lot of things with him.

Moore could prove to be a huge wild card in all of this. The 30-year old’s highly anticipated return was cut short after he suffered a torn ACL while celebrating a touchdown during a week three victory in Saskatchewan. He recorded 15 catches for 205 yards and the ill-fated major before being sidelined for the season. When you add it all up, it’s almost like a whole new addition.
    “He feels great. He was in last week and there was just a great energy about him,” said Jones. “The things he did for us early in the season were very positive and made me feel very comfortable knowing we were going to have him back. All indications are that his knee is good and he will be ready for camp.” ...
    It’s one thing to be able to have a great group of receivers. The challenge now will be the idea of having everybody buy in and not have any of them disappointed in not getting their fair slice of the pie. Jones insists the “team first” culture will be established from day one of training camp. ...
    Jones pointed to Arceneaux as a prime example of putting the team first last year. Despite totalling 1,566 receiving yards and leading all CFL players with 13 touchdowns there were also some games where he didn’t get as many touches and made a difference with his blocking abilities. Proving to be a good asset when you are not making highlight reel catches is exactly what Jones is referring to. ...

You can’t mention the work done on offence without bringing up the re-signing of Hunter Steward. That move ensured the starting offensive line for most of 2016 is intact to start training camp on the final weekend of May.
    “It’s very big. That was probably one of the top priorities in my mind, making sure those guys can be together for another year,” said Jones.
    “I have some much respect for both Hunter and Kirby Fabien for coming back into the starting lineup and how they performed for the last half of the season. It was outstanding. They know what it takes to be not only a professional in this league but a high-performing offensive lineman.”

http://www.bclions.com/2017/02/20/embarrassment-of-riches/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The identical twin of NFL star Malik Jackson discusses what it is like to be overshadowed by one's own twin.

Defensive lineman Marquis Jackson, one of the latest free-agent signings by the Lions, offers another different twist in a brother act. He is the identical twin of Malik Jackson, a Super Bowl 50 champion defensive tackle with the Denver Broncos who signed a six-year $85.5 million deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars last year. ...
    After being signed by the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted free agent from Portland State by way of Texas Southern, Marquis Jackson has bounced around the fringes of the NFL, getting a prolonged look last year from the Chicago Bears after two seasons honing his pass rushing skills with Arena League’s Portland Thunder.
    Lions’ director of U.S. Scouting Ryan Rigmaiden said Marquis Jackson has been targeted for some time by the CFL club, in the hope that similarities with his more celebrated twin hold true.
    “Marquis Jackson is a neat story, because of who he is, but it has nothing to do with our evaluation of him,” Rigmaiden said. “Whether Malik is his brother or not, we still would have signed him. Marquis is versatile, quick off the edge, but big enough to play inside and be successful. We’ve been tracking him for a long, long time. I’m sure, for him, being the brother of Malik Jackson is both a blessing and a curse. He’s a heck of player in his own right.” ...

Come walk in Malik Jackson’s shadow. Last season, it seemed his image couldn’t loom any larger. Signing one of the richest contracts in football, he turned down a five-year $53 million deal from the Broncos, the club which drafted him, to join Jacksonville.
    Ask Marquis Jackson about it. He knows all about being eclipsed.
    “It does bother me,” Marquis admits. “Any time a team brings me in, it makes for a good story. That’s about it. I’d rather keep stories about me be about me, and not have Marquis Jackson always mentioned as Malik Jackson’s brother.” ...

“I want to show I can do it, not just my brother who can do it,” Jackson said. “I’m very anxious to see what goes on at a CFL camp, weight room and locker-room, and really anxious to show that I belong. I do categorize myself as an all-around defensive lineman, who can play all the spots on the defensive line. I pride myself on that.”
    As a Doppelganger, Marquis was constantly called “Twin” in high school (Northridge, Calif.) because people couldn’t tell the difference between him and Malik, who actually is an inch taller. It’s not hard to see why he savours any chance to make a name for himself, starting at B.C’s mini-camp in April.
    http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...erstar-sibling

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Although the Lions have lost some big names on defence Defensive Coordinator Mark Washington feels that he has talented potential replacements to combine with the holdovers.

On the surface, it may appear he has some adjusting to do. He lost arguably his top linebacker, that player’s potential replacement, the stoutest defensive lineman and one of the surprise young guns in the secondary; all recipients of NFL “futures’ contracts. Despite those losses, Mark Washington has a definitive view of his 2017 defence: It’s not re-building it’s reloading. Losing players like Adam Bighill, Bo Lokombo, Alex Bazzie and Anthony Gaitor just comes with the territory of finding great talent. And thanks to a flurry of activity in the first couple days of free agency, Washington’s depth chart looks full again; with loads of potential to offset the losses of this past winter. Linebacker Tony Burnett, defensive backs Buddy Jackson and Matt Bucknor, as well as defensive linemen Dylan Ainsorth andDeQuin Evans make up the five key pieces added in free agent frenzy. ...
    Burnett could be the biggest piece of the puzzle. He attended Lions camp in 2014 but there was no way he was cracking the roster. Not with Bighill and Solomon Elimimian entering the most dominant portion of the “Team 100” era. The former USC Trojan found his way to Winnipeg where he suited up in 25 games and was a big part of a defence that led the CFL in turnover ratio in 2016. Now he could very well be counted upon to replace Bighill’s production.“I love the way that Tony performed (in 2014) but we just couldn’t keep him in the roster,” said Washington. “He worked harder than probably anybody out there in that camp. I saw him get better as a football player in Winnipeg so I am glad he’s back. I think he is going to help our defence and make us better.” ...

Another area they knew they needed to address was a starter at cornerback. That is where the edition of Jackson comes in. His NFL experience combined with being a key piece on Calgary’s Grey Cup-winning team in 2014 ensures he ticks all of the boxes. What Washington hopes he has in Jackson is a game breaker. ...

Washington is also high on Bucknor who suited up in Calgary’s Grey Cup loss to Ottawa following stints in Hamilton and Winnipeg from 2012-2015. The Lions may want to start two Canadians in the secondary, along with either Keynan Parker or Anthony Thompson, and that also makes his edition a key one. But it’s not the only reason they coveted him.
    “He’s been successful in this league and that’s what you want,” said Washington of Bucknor. “Whether he’s an international or not really doesn’t matter. You want guys with experience in this league and those that can make plays. That’s what Matt can bring.” ...
    Non-import tackle Ainsworth was also locked up before February 14th, having previously been granted his release by Saskatchewan. Along with the ability to be a ratio changer, the native of South Delta is also known for his dominance on special teams. That isn’t lost on Washington and the coaching staff. ...
    The defensive line is in good hands after Brooks agreed to terms. Washington points to him and Bryan Turner Jr. as leaders of a unit that helped the defence tie Calgary for the lead in quarterback sacks last season. Replacing Bazzie’s production (31 defensive tackles, 11 sacks in 2016) will be one of the big challenges once players report for OTA’s on April 25th and main camp in Kamloops one month after that.

http://www.bclions.com/2017/02/22/the-defensive-puzzle/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have signed three new DBs: Tevin McDonald, Cleveland Wallace and Robert Brown.

McDonald (5’11”, 195) was an undrafted free agent signing of the Oakland Raiders in 2015 after splitting his college playing days between UCLA and Eastern Washington. The California native is the son of longtime NFL defensive back Tim McDonald and brother of current Los Angeles Rams defensive back T.J. McDonald.
    Wallace (5’11”, 190) joins the Leos after stints with the NFL’s Houston Texans and San Francisco 49’ers in 2016. The former Washington Huskie (’12-’13) and San Jose State Spartan was a Second Team All-Mountain West selection in 2014 and earned an honourable mention in 2015.
    Brown (6’3”, 205) gets his first taste of pro football after graduating from Seton Hill (Pennsylvania) in 2015. The athletic and aggressive New York native appeared in 19 games over two seasons of eligibility tallying 61 solo tackles, three of which were for a loss along with three interceptions and a pair of sacks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Mike Beamish's article below describes new DeQuin Evans relationship with his Olympic athlete wife and his preparation for the upcoming season in detail.

Married to Canadian Olympic 400-metre runner Jenna Martin-Evans — a candidate for the 2018 Winter Games’ women’s bobsleigh team — theirs is no ordinary relationship.
    A 29-year-old Californian of Samoan extraction, DeQuin is training in preparation for his first season with the Leos, who signed the former Montreal Alouettes defensive end to a two-year contract during CFL free agency this month.
    His wife, the former Jenna Martin, competed for Canada in the 2012 Summer Olympics before ditching her track shoes last year to take up bobsleigh. Now, the native of Bridgewater, N.S., is focusing on qualifying for Pyeongchang, South Korea, site of next year’s Winter Games. When two-time Olympic gold-medallist Kallie Humphries wants to recruit you as her brakeman, you listen. ...

Undrafted in 2011, Evans caught on with the Cincinnati Bengals for three seasons before coming to Calgary in 2014.
    Playing behind John Bowman and Gabriel Knapton last year with the Als, he appeared in just five games. His signing with the Lions — who lost sack-leader Alex Bazzie to the Indianapolis Colts in free agency — might be just the career break he needs. “In Montreal, he’s got to compete against John Bowman,” says Lions head coach and general manager Wally Buono. “In Calgary, he’s got to compete against Charleston Hughes. No matter how good you are, sometimes you’re not going to get your chance. We like him. And he’s excited about coming. It gives us an experienced veteran who can start for us.”
    With his ailing mom three hours’ drive south, and his wife a short-hop flight away in Calgary, Evans sees Vancouver ideally situated at the nexus of his personal and professional life. Above all, there’s a good chance to start and win in B.C.
    “Playing for one of the greatest coaches, if not the greatest in CFL history, is hands down a blessing,” he says. “As far as leadership, I’m here to help bring the young rooks along. What else do I bring? I can definitely get to the quarterback and make it hell for offensive linemen, complete hell. I’m going to make opponents pay on every down, you can count on that.”
    http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...g-mom-training

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level