Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM sees Tyrell Sutton adding physicality to the team's running attack.

The five-foot-eight, 213-pounder has been known for his physical running style, an attribute in which BC Lions General Manager Ed Hervey thinks will help Sutton fit right in with the rest of the running backs on his team’s roster, including Jeremiah Johnson, Chris Rainey and Travon Van.
    “He just gives you that option that you can hand him the ball and if he has a hole, he’s going to hit it,” said Hervey. “He’s going to be physical and guys don’t want to tackle him. Guys do not like to tackle him even though it’s part of the responsibility. He’s one of those guys, when you watch him, the first guy never brings him down. We talk about being physical here and he brings that. He’s a tone setter and that’s what we want.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/09/26/sutton...ons-backfield/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Both BC and International DT Davon Coleman are happy with the trade that brought him to Vancouver in May. The Tiger Cats traded him to BC along with a sixth round pick for a surprisingly small return of a fourth round pick, after a rookie year in which he had 41 DT and 5 sacks in 17 games. This year he has upped his performance with 45 DT and 7 sacks in 12 games so far.
    Last edited by jerrym; 09-28-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ty Long is having an outstanding season. He leads the league in punting with a 50.2 yard average, just below Jon Ryan's 50.6 CFL record average; he is 30 for 33 in FG; 21 for 21 in converts, and leads the CFL with a 39.7 net punting average. If he can maintain a 50 yard punting average, he would become just the third punter to do so in CFL history (the other being Lui Passaglia, who had a 50.2 average in 1983). The NFL is already paying attention to his performance, but free agent punters, even with high averages, don't always make it. In 2016, former BC Lion Richie Leone's 49.3 yard average did not earn him a spot on the roster of Arizona after signing with the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Questions are starting to be raised in Vancouver after Jennings latest poor game against Hamilton about whether he will ever regain the performance level he showed in his rookie season or will he become an one season wonder who doesn't make the necessary adjustments as teams adapt to his skills set.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have signed International KR Shakeir Ryan one day after Hamilton released him. In one game with the Tiger Cats he had a 103 yard TD return but also had a fumble on another return.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Solomon Elimimian and Travis Lulay are expected back next week from their injuries to help the BC Lions playoff drive. This is good news for the Argos, who play BC this week, and need all the help they can get in facing BC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The signing of KR Shakeir Ryan comes after Buono singled out Chris Rainey publicly on TSN radio for criticism following the Hamilton game, suggesting that Wally is challenging Rainey to produce or else, even though Rainey is leading the league in kickoff return and in combined yardage. JJ Adams Buono wants more out of Rainey against the Argos this week because he knows that Jennings has not been producing at QB.

On first blush, the comments and transaction seem like a car owner being concerned about a leaking tire after his engine threw a rod. Other issues, particularly the offence’s dismal showing in the 40-10 loss to the host Ticats last Saturday, would seem to be of higher priority. ...

But the Lions lack real options at quarterback, so squeezing more out of Rainey and Co. is a more achievable goal, and one that would pay immediate dividends. Giving quarterback Jonathon Jennings a short field to work with, you relieve the pressure on a quarterback struggling to find his rhythm and confidence. They could use a boost at B.C. Place Saturday afternoon against the Argos. ...

“What we haven’t done is finish the play,” said special-teams coordinator Jeff Reinebold. “I think that’s where we’re at in terms of our punt return game. We’re leaving yards on the field. If we work a little harder, a little smarter, with a little more attention to detail — all 12 of us — then we’re going to make some game-changing plays. And what we have to understand is … our football team is one that’s reliant on field position. When Chris can create field position for us, that is a huge advantage, because it takes so much pressure off of the offence. You have to realize net punting is what matters. What we look at is how many times we can give the offence back the ball across the midfield marker. Last week against Hamilton, we did it once when we ran a punt pressure and (Lirim Hajrullahu) shanked the kick.”

The 5-8, 180-pound Rainey took the latest criticism in stride. The Florida native was benched for the Sept. 7 game against the Ottawa Redblacks — the first healthy scratch in the impending free agent’s four seasons with the Lions — and has averaged just 8.8 yards per punt return since then, and 25.6 yards per kickoff return. Rainey has admitted to a little paralysis by analysis, over-thinking the process of the returns instead of reacting instinctively. "You can put it all in perspective. I know where he’s coming from,” Rainey said of Buono’s comments. “I could play way better. It’s just go out there and run — that’s it. Somebody’s coming towards me? Just out-run them. Turn on the jets. Just hit (the hole). That’s it. Don’t hesitate, don’t pause. Just hit it, like I used to do.”
    https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...t-to-the-house

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Good news for the Lions after Jennings so-so performance against the Argos: Travis Lulay and Tyrell Sutton will be back for this week's game against Calgary. They will need them as the Stampeders were far from happy with their performance in Montreal and will likely be looking to show why they are still the class of the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM Ed Hervey has questioned the work ethic of Jonathon Jennings, thereby increasing the speculation that he won't be in BC next year. When questioned about his comment, Hervey said it was a honest answer to a reporter's question, "that I wasn't taking a nock on the young man ... But what I see is what I see".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Offensive co-ordinator Jarius Jackson has had his laptop containing "thousands of plays" from his football career stolen along with his passport, credit and debit cards, when is car was broken into. He is offering a reward for their return.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...heft-1.4856384

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    RB Travon Van, who is now an Argo, is the most prominent name on the following BC transaction list announcing his release from their roster. He appeared in only three games this year, picking up 43 yards on 10 carries. With the trade for Tyrell Sutton and the presence of Jeremiah Johnson, the team has two more productive RBs.

Last edited by jerrym; 10-11-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The trade for Tyrell Sutton has paid off in the Lions push for a playoff spot as he gained 106 yards against Calgary and was a major factor in the team's win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Shawn Lemon talks about the importance of getting hot at the right time, which he and the Argos did last year, going 5-2 to end the regular season after starting 4-7, and then going on win the Grey Cup. He feels that both the Lions and himself are in the same position this year.

“It’s definitely huge to get hot at the right time in the CFL because it’s such a long season,” the Lemonator said. “Some teams peak too early and start to burn out. I feel we’re catching fire at the right time and if we get that win this week that will be a huge piece to this puzzle.” “I see a whole lot of similarities as far as guys coming together throughout the season. You’ve just got to come in, keep the momentum going, take care of what you need to take care of and you’ll be able to control your own destiny.” ...

Since his arrival in a July trade from the Big Smoke, Lemon has come as advertised, his ten sacks good for third overall in the CFL.
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/10/16/w...ready-deja-vu/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    When Jordan Herdman was not drafted until the seventh round after setting a record for most tackles in a career in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and twice winning the Defensive Player of the Year, many dismissed his chances of success in the CFL. However in 2017 he was fifth in the league with 19 ST tackles and when Solomon Elimiminan went down this year he took over at starting LB where he continues to play, having made 42 DT, 2 sacks and 12 ST tackles.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tyrell Sutton comments on what being traded from the forlorn Als to the Lions and a possible playoff run:

He does seem to come inspired. Four weeks ago, he was in the middle of a sixth season with the Alouettes, with no chance at the playoffs. He laughed heartily at first when he was asked about that Thursday.
    “It changes things a little bit,” continued Sutton, 31, who’s from Akron, Ohio, and played his college ball at Northwestern. “Not a part of my game has changed as far as coming out here and representing my brothers and playing for each guy next to me. That hasn’t changed. It’s the bigger picture that’s changed.

“Being able to be in this position that I haven’t been in for the last three or four years is tremendous. I just want to make sure that I have these guys’ back and do what they brought me here to do.
    “Everyone wants to be a champion. Period. This is the first step to being a champion. It’s getting our ticket to the dance. We haven’t done that yet. We need to make sure we come out with the same mentality, or even better, than last week.”
    https://vancouversun.com/sports/foot...a-8c64afb6ff09

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Devier Posey's 113 yards receiving against the Eskimos demonstrates part of what the Argos are missing this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC Lions have won six of their last seven to ensure a playoff spot, after starting 3-6, with another Argo making another major contribution in their latest victory. The Lemonater had a sack, his tenth in eleven games since being traded by the Argos, and a key fumble recovery in the fourth quarter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo Devier Posey won Shaw's Top Perfomer of the Week honours, his performance helping the Lions clinch a playoff spot.
    Last edited by jerrym; 10-23-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wally reflects on the Lions' season below:

“My biggest fear at 3-6 was that these last two or three games weren’t going to mean anything,” he said.
    “That would have been very tough to deal with, very tough to handle and not the way to end what has been an outstanding stay in Vancouver for me and my family. I’m proud of our coaches and players for sucking it up and winning six out of the last seven games. It has put us in the hunt for a lot of things, but obviously making the playoffs was our first goal.” ...

We can’t always determine anything other than we can go out, play physical, play hard and play smart. Other things have to take place, but the thing that I believe is going into Saskatchewan and a very hostile environment against a team that also has plenty at stake is also like a playoff game. That’s exactly what we’re going to be facing on Saturday night. If you wanted a dress rehearsal for a road playoff game you’re going to get it on Saturday.” ...

Another impressive piece to this puzzle has been the fact they have done it without key leaders such as Solomon Elimimian, Manny Arceneaux and Cody Husband. It speaks to the fine job GM Ed Hervey has done at adding key pieces to the roster.
    “It’s a credit to Ed and the way we wanted to build our football team,” added Buono. We wanted to build a team that had depth, whether it was the guys on the injured reserve or the guys on the practice roster. We lost a running back and Rutley was very good, we lost a centre and Godber was really good. We lost Godber and Andrew Peirson has done a great job for us. We lost Manny Arceneaux and DeVier Posey has really stepped up. Solly was a great piece on our defence and both Jordan Herdman has stepped up, Micah Awe came back and it’s been that way across the board. We’re a better football team for it, even though you hate to lose players.” ...

“I’m hoping I can go to Edmonton in November; I would prefer to go for real work,” said Buono. “This was one of the reasons I came back. I felt committed to helping David (Braley) in the transition. Ed was very candid when he said he felt the best opportunity to win was with him and I working together and that it would help in his own transition. Would I like to be part of another championship team? Yes. Am I going to be given a lot more opportunities? No. I felt when I was going to be given one more, it was worth taking.”
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/10/22/b...eature-encore/

New Fan
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%

Level
    Has to be a pretty dramatic pay cut there for Foster.