Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ed Hervey takes a look at his first year as Lions GM, as well as ahead to dealing with free agency, finding a new HC, and the upcoming year, in the article below.

“It’s been a good year, positive year. I’ve been embraced by not only within the organization by the staff, but here in this community,” he said. “It’s been a typical type of football year where you come in and you learn a few things, you learn (about) the people you’re around, but everyone wants to win. The fans want to win, they want to see success and it seems like there is a high level of energy in Vancouver, in this market and within this building for wanting to continue the success that has been in place for many years under Wally. I’m just excited about taking the opportunity to continue on and as I’ve stated, the first year has been great.” ...

“Every team is faced with a large number of free agents. I think that’s been the case over the last couple of years with the amount of one-year contracts,” Hervey explained. “The players that we want, we will get that are in this roster. Those who want to stay, that we want to be with, they’ll work out. There will be players that will go elsewhere, there will be players that will be moved. That’s just part of the cycle. At the end of the day, we want to get the best football team, the best players that we can put on the field for ourselves to be successful and to contend for a championship.”

He already has locked up two key pieces for next season: defensive end Odell Willis and an integral member of the Canadian contingent, linebacker/special teamer Jordan Herdman, And of course, whoever is strapping on the orange next season will be following the identity of a new sideline boss. Hervey will soon start talking to possible candidates for the 26th head coach in franchise history. ...

"I think the key ingredient is leadership. We want the leadership component and being able to handle adversity. We face adversity all the time. You have to be the kind of leader that can get people to follow you. It’s not just the players. They have to have a vision and a presence about them that gets the organization to follow behind them, as well as the fan base. It’s going to be important as we look to continue on success in this market that we hire a head coach that understands this position is not just being a head coach, but also being a spokesperson, being a pillar of this community, embracing this community and going out with an understanding that our main focus is to go out there and be successful; winning games, winning lots of games and contend for championships, but also embracing the community aspect of this great city as well.” ...

Indeed, the standard set by Wally Buono when it comes to being an ambassador for the club both on and off the field will be a baton the next guy will have to carry as well. Hervey plans to interview over a half-dozen candidates and made it clear in his season wrap up press conference he is seeking a CFL guy through and through; someone who has cut his teeth north of the border and knows what this unique league is all about, just like the GM himself.
    “Obviously we have to be able to find that person; someone that I can work with, someone that we can work together and build, someone that understands the development of the roster and (who is) willing to play young players,” he said. “Those are critical to the success, as I see it, for us moving forward. Especially as you see every year with the high turnover of the roster. We have to be able to develop our own players.”
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/12/01/h...aching-search/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Arash Madani is reporting that multiple sources are saying that DeVone Claybrooks will be named the next Lions HC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Arash Madani is reporting that multiple sources are saying that DeVone Claybrooks will be named the next Lions HC.
    And Farhan Lalji is reporting that Claybrooks and others haven't even been interviewed yet by the Lions.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    And Farhan Lalji is reporting that Claybrooks and others haven't even been interviewed yet by the Lions.
    I don't know what is happening. However, I was once asked to drive 300 miles round trip for a job interview as I finished my university degree. It was a job I didn't get because they had already picked their candidate. How do I know? Because I had driven to school for a year with the guy who got the job without an interview. He told me that they just wanted to make it look fair and followed the rules (at that point he didn't know I had been interviewed). I'm not saying that's happening here, but things are not always what they appear to be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have signed four Internationals: LB Clemente Casseus, WRs Larry Cobb and Travion Tucker, and DE Timmy Hamilton.

Casseus (6’1”, 205) attended the University of Cincinnati for four years appearing in 29 games for the Bearcats tallying 27 solo stops along with four tackles for a loss. He was a practice roster addition of the Montreal Alouettes in 2017.

Cobb (6’3”, 190) attended training camp with Edmonton in 2017. The Tuskegee grad enjoyed a productive college career hauling in 76 receptions for 1,422 yards and 10 touchdowns over 44 games.

Tucker (6’4”, 190) divided his collegiate career between College of the Canyons and Kentucky Wesleyan University. While at Canyons he appeared in 15 games across two seasons, hauling in 47 passes for 739 yards and seven touchdowns. Travion transferred to Kentucky Wesleyan University in 2015 racking-up 82 receptions for 1,137 yards and 11 touchdowns through 21 career games and two seasons with the Panthers.

Hamilton (6’3”, 230) began his college career at Coffeyville where he enjoyed a notable two-year stint before briefly transferring to the University of Arizona. He eventually made his way back to his home state of Kansas and wrapped up his playing days at Friends University where he notched 94 tackles, 27 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks over 20 games.
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/12/06/l...ionals-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is speculation that Claybrooks signing with BC might draw DL coach Corey Mace and DB coach Josh Bell to the Lions from Calgary.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Claybrooks talks about how almost dying this year has impacted him and about how he will shape the Lions team.

In August, Claybrooks was rushed to hospital after he was found unconscious by a neighbour in his Calgary home. He would spend 10 days in hospital in serious condition after suffering from severe side-effects from previously un-diagnosed diabetes. Today, Claybrooks cherishes his latest opportunity even more.

“When you’re about to die, you’re in the ICU for nine days, it just puts it into reflection because you’re really just laying there by yourself,” said Claybrooks in an exclusive sit down with bclions.com. “You really get to reflect on a lot of things and that’s what makes this year even sweeter. To be able to come from that near-death experience to be able to win the Grey Cup and then to be able to become a head coach; I grew up in the south and very religious, my mom would say God had a plan for me, wasn’t done with me yet and it was just the next step in the journey. When something bad happens, it’s because there’s a breakthrough or something is about to manifest. I would really trade that. My health is great now. I lost a little weight, looking a little slim I’ve got three abs instead of two now so we’re working in the right direction.” ...

Calgary had 12 CFL All-Stars on his side of the ball, allowed the fewest number of points in each year and this past season, the unit ranked number one in nine of 20 statistical categories while finishing in the top three in four others. It’s safe to say he wants to bring a similar identity to his entire new roster.
    “Everything starts with getting after the quarterback,” said Claybrooks. “We’re going to play together as a unit and that’s going to be on both sides of the ball. We’re not going to self implode.We’re going to have a ball control offence, we want to be able to have a vertical passing game, we want to get after people, we want to be able to set tempo of what we want to do in all three phases. If we’re able to do that, we’ll be able to keep it a high level and play good football.” ...

“This is one of those full circles where Ed and I have talked ball and talked shop,” said Claybrooks of his new boss. “It’s one of those things where you have one beer and look up and it’s four hours later and you feel a connection and it’s just like I’m talking to my friend. That’s probably the best thing, we have that relationship and it’s actually fairly new and in the infancy stages of it, but for us you can just tell (we have) that connection. It just felt like I have known him forever when I’ve just really gotten to know him.”
    In a lot of ways this mirrors Hervey’s only previous head coaching hire as a GM. Chris Jones arrived in Edmonton prior to 2014 with many of the same credentials. At the end of his second season with Hervey, they were Grey Cup champions. Now the Lions are trying to not only build a similar model for success, but also trying to make sure they sustain it long-term.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/12/11/d...ille-bc-lions/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have released quite a few of their coaches, including ST coordinator Jeff Reinebold, Defensive coordinator Mark Washington, OL coach Dan Dorazio, LB coach Chris Tormey, DL coach Ray Melvin, RB coach Mike Lionello, and assistant DB coach Stanley Franks, as the coaching staff is rebuilt under Claybrooks. However, OC Jarius Jackson and receivers coach Markus Howell have signed 2019 contracts. The new coaches will be announced in a few days.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a look at the Lions situation in terms of its management, coaching, signed players, free agents, and key Canadian players early in the offseason.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/16/off-se...look-bc-lions/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions announced that they have finalized their coaching staff under HC Devone Claybrooks. After announcing his retirement on the weekend, Drew Tate, who joined the Rough Riders in November for the playoffs, has signed on as the Lions QB coach.

Rich Stubler will be the team’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach while Jarious Jackson has been retained as the offensive coordinator.

Former CFL players Ryan Phillips, Nik Lewis, Drew Tate and Keith Stokes will also get their first professional coaching jobs under Claybrooks.

The staff is listed below:

Rich Stubler – Defensive Coordinator & Linebackers Coach
    Ryan Phillips – Defensive Backs Coach
    Chris Ellis – Defensive Line Coach
    Bryan Chiu – Offensive Line Coach
    Nik Lewis – Running Backs Coach
    Drew Tate – Quarterbacks Coach
    Taylor Altilio – Special Teams Coordinator
    Keith Stokes – Special Teams and Offensive Assistant
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/18/lions-...wis-drew-tate/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC has extended International OT Joel Figueroa through 2020.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following article examines Devone Claybrooks life as he starts his career as the Lions HC.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/12/11/d...ille-bc-lions/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jonathon Jennings has worked out with the Indianapolis Colts. Considering his performance in the last two years I think it's unlikely he will earn a spot, unless it's as TC fodder and even that is doubtful.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have released kicker/punter Ty Long so that he can sign a NFL contract.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canada has lost one of its best sports writers and a huge supporter of the CFL, Jim Taylor.

Sports columnist Jim Taylor was so dedicated that he once covered the 1963 Grey Cup at Empire Stadium in Vancouver, featuring his beloved B.C. Lions, in the afternoon and made it back to Victoria in time to cover a local hockey game that night at the old Memorial Arena on Blanshard Street.
    Taylor, who died Monday at his Shawnigan Lake home at the age of 82, began his career at the Daily Colonist when he was still in high school. ...

Taylor also authored 16 books, including ones on Wayne Gretzky, CFL players Matt Dunigan and Jim Young, World Cup soccer player Bob Lenarduzzi, Olympic high-jumper Debbie Brill, auto racer Greg Moore and Rick Hansen’s Man in Motion Tour. “I loved his delivery — it was so well crafted, and Jim handled the English language extremely well,” said University of Victoria and national basketball coaching legend Ken Shields. “He was very knowledgeable about sports. We are blessed to have read him.”

Taylor wrote an estimated 7,500 columns in his career on a five-times-a-week basis, covering events ranging from the Olympics and Grey Cup to Muhammad Ali fights and the 1972 Canada-Russia hockey series.

Even people who didn’t like sports loved reading him,” said Lee, who first met Taylor at the Colonist. “That’s because Jim didn’t write about sports — he wrote about people, and in such a unique manner that nobody came close to him in Canada as a sports humourist.”

Taylor was inducted into the B.C. and Victoria Sports Halls of Fame and into the Canadian Football League Hall of Fame.
    https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...-82-1.23583104

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    According to Ted Wyman, BC is unlikely to pursue former Lion Adam Bighill who won the Most Outstanding Defensive Player with the Bombers in 2018, because of the money probably needed to sign him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    New Lions HC DeVone Claybrooks talks about winning the Grey Cup, taking over from the winningest coach in CFL history, and building his own team below.

"It (replacing Buono) has got to be in my head considering I get asked about it every five minutes," Claybrooks said with a chuckle from Mont. Tremblant, Que., where CFL GMs, presidents and coaches are meeting this week. "The funny thing is everyone asks me, 'How are you going to fill Wally's shoes?' I'm like, 'I'm not. Wally wears a 10 1/2 or 11 and I wear a 14.' At the end of the day he had his journey and steered his car the way he wanted to. I'm driving this car now. I just got an oil change and tuneup and he gave me the keys. I'm going to drive it in the direction I see fit."

That's not to say Claybrooks won't have Buono's number on speed dial.

"The best part about it is I do have him to lean on if I have questions," Claybrooks said. "He's a great man, a great counsellor, a great mentor. He's been very helpful and open. I can't ask for more." ...

Claybrooks, 41, didn't really celebrate Calgary's 27-16 Grey Cup win over Ottawa on Nov. 25 in Edmonton. Shortly afterwards, the Stampeders' defensive co-ordinator interviewed with both Toronto and B.C. before being named Lions head coach Dec. 11. "My mom was like, 'Baby, you've got to enjoy this for a day or two,'" Claybrooks said. "We had a few drinks and went out for a nice dinner but I think if you get caught looking at the last one you're not going to win the next one." ...

"I've always believed you start with building a defence," Lions GM Ed Hervey said. "When you look at teams in the West Division, you have explosive offences in Edmonton and Calgary and you've got to be able to stop them before you have an opportunity to play with them. It starts there."
    https://www.tsn.ca/claybrooks-poised...oach-1.1239246
    Last edited by jerrym; 01-13-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Torey Hunter, BC's director of player personnel, has been suspended for 90 days for using a social media account to attack the Edmonton Eskimos.

Torey Hunter, a one-time scout with the Alberta team, according to the B.C. Lions media guide, had directed criticism toward his former club through an anonymous Twitter account. The Esks grew suspicious last spring when Hunter’s anonymous account began tweeting information that contradicted formal Eskimos statements and that revealed insider information, according to TSN. The CFL investigated at the Eskimos’ behest, and as the 2018 regular season wound down, the league informed the Lions that the Twitter account belonged to Hunter.

“We can confirm that Torey Hunter was suspended by the B.C. Lions football club for violation of both the Lions’ and the CFL’s social media policy,” Rick LeLacheur, who as president of the Lions suspended Hunter in November, said in a statement. “While we encourage the use of social media channels by all members of our organization, we also strive to make very clear that the use of these channels must be done in a positive manner, respectful of our member clubs and the league as a whole. We will have no further comment on the matter.”

The suspension ends Jan. 31.

Hunter, a one-time defensive back in the CFL with Edmonton and Montreal, had been a regional scout for the Esks for four years and moved to the Lions when ex-Eskimos general manager Ed Hervey took the GM job with the Leos in 2017.
    https://vancouversun.com/sports/foot...8-88f388aaafb1

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Lions have completed their coaching staff.

Claybrooks and general manager Ed Hervey were able to get everyone signed and sealed early this week. Joining holdovers Jarious Jackson (offensive coordinator) and Markus Howell (receivers) on the offensive side of things are three of CFL mainstays in quarterbacks coach Drew Tate, offensive line coach and Vancouver native Bryan Chiu along with running backs coach Nik Lewis. ...

Defence and special teams both provide a complete makeover. Veteran coaching strategist Rich Stubler is back for a third stint as defensive coordinator of the Lions and will also handle the linebackers. Ryan Phillips, a fixture in the club’s secondary for 12 seasons as a player, is back in orange as defensive backs coach while Chris Ellis, a former member of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills handles the defensive line.

In Stubler, Claybrooks not only gets a solid coaching resume and someone familiar with this organization, but he gets perhaps a bit of a safety net as he learns all of those extra nuances that come with running your own ship. Stubler held the same position for Calgary’s 2014 Grey Cup championship squad with Claybrooks as his defensive line coach. “Stubes has forgotten more football than I can remember,” stated the new sideline boss. “With that said and being able to have a guy with that knowledge and that experience, over 40-plus years in the league, I’m able to lean on him and understand him in certain situations and certain circumstances. He’s a mentor and a great friend of mine. He’ll be an asset to us. I think we’ll just evolve and grow defensively and it should be fun.” ...

The infusion of young coaching blood doesn’t stop there. Special teams coordinator Taylor Altilio spent three years with Claybrooks on the Stampeders staff while former CFL speedster Keith Stokes, a teammate and roommate of Claybrooks at East Carolina, comes on board as special teams and offensive assistant. It’s safe to say the new head coach has big things planned for his return game and cover teams.

“He’s a young energetic coach,” said Claybrooks of Altillio. “He’s been a coordinator at the CIS level, he was the assistant under Mark Killam in Calgary, I think he’s a young, innovative guy that will bring some new life into the special teams. Overall, he’s done a great job filling in, he’s very detailed and knows how to put guys in spots to be successful.”

His old friend Stokes was a two-time CFL All-Star and won the league’s Most Outstanding Special Teams Player Award in 2002. They grew up together as players and now look to do the same in the coaching ranks.

“It’s funny how paths keep continuing to cross, but you also want to get guys that you trust and believe in. As you look at the staff, you can see that. We have a good mix in super old in Stubes (laughs) and a good mix of young guys that are innovative, that are hungry and waiting for their shot. I was fortunate enough to be able to give them their shot and understand what they want, what I want and how do we want to get it done?”
    https://www.bclions.com/2018/12/18/k...aff-locked-in/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ryan Phillips talks about what he learned in Calgary and his return to the Lions below:

“When I got to Calgary, I saw right away how they operate. You see why they win and I was definitely impressed with how they did it,” said Phillips from his Seattle home on Wednesday.
    “I respect Dave (Dickenson), Huf (John Hufnagel) and how they held you accountable and expected to be in the Grey Cup every single year. That was the message across the board. Just to see how they did it their own way, everybody’s structure is different, I think was a great experience for me and it helped me build myself as a player, but also as a coach. This is something I did want to pursue and now I’m able to take a bit of everything and apply it for myself to pass along to my new players.” ...

Although returning to the Pacific Northwest seemed like a no-brainer, the 36-year old would have had a hard time not hitching his wagon to the Lions’ new head coach; wherever the highly sought-after Claybrooks ended up after leading the Stampeders to Grey Cup appearances in each of his three seasons as defensive coordinator.
    “He is somebody I’ve known for a while, as well as Ed Hervey,” said Phillips. “Those are guys I played against for a long time. For them to entrust that I can transition well from a player to a coach, and Claybrooks saw first-hand last year when we were in Calgary, speaks volumes about the faith they have in me and what I can bring to the table. The thing that’s great about DeVone is he is a personable guy. He lets you run your ship and that’s the thing I respect about him the most. Don’t get me wrong, he still has the last say and all of that, but he entrusts his assistants to be their own guys and bring something valuable to the table. It’s great to be with him and part of what he wants to build in Vancouver.”

Claybrooks spoke glowingly of Phillips on the day he finalized his staff in mid-December. “It’s good because RP is a pro. I was fortunate to have him in Calgary with me as a guest coach and then he helped us out at a game against you guys this year,” said the head coach. “He filled in admirable for (Josh) Bell when he had personal reasons and his mother passed away. RP is a great players’ coach, he understands the system, he’s played in our system, he’s worked with Stubes before, he understands the standard of what we want to come in and what we want to bring and I’m excited to have him.”
    https://www.bclions.com/2019/01/16/b...d-new-chapter/