Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    It starts from the top.
    If available as GM/VP of F Ops, I would hire Tillman yesterday.
    Tillman is under contract with Hamilton. I'm about 99.9 percent sure he can't just get up and leave his job for another position in the league during the season while under contract.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Wow. Two bad games put the team at 4-4. Not 0-8. Now old Chad Owens threads are being resurrected.
    Wake up, it has nothing to do with 2 bad games!
    I resurrected the thread to show what a bad marketing decision was made when Owens was not kept. No wonder The Argos aren't pulling in young fans/the kids/new fans because of the bone-headed decision in the case of not keeping Owens. He was a face, an inspirational leader, the heart of the Argos. As someone stated, he was like a new Clemons. The new owners have ZERO marketing skills. You can't put a price on these qualities. Not to mention, that Owens is playing good football for a rival team, and now inspiring them!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    I resurrected the thread to show what a bad marketing decision was made when Owens was not kept. No wonder The Argos aren't pulling in young fans/the kids/new fans because of the bone-headed decision in the case of not keeping Owens. He was a face, an inspirational leader, the heart of the Argos. As someone stated, he was like a new Clemons. The new owners have ZERO marketing skills. You can't put a price on these qualities. Not to mention, that Owens is playing good football for a rival team, and now inspiring them!
    I think it's safe say the new owners let the GM & coach make that decision. There seems to be a few decisions made that are proving to be wrong!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well, we have posters crying that the Argonauts are afraid of change (keeping Ray for example) and others claiming we should have held on to Owens (essentially taking Spencer's spot). It essentially amounts to that if they are winning, everything is ok, but lose and the second guessers and expert hindsighters start yapping their beaks.

I was upset at losing Owens too. I believe his numbers would be the same this year with the Argos as they were last. I also think that his departure woke him up a bit and made him work harder than ever to ensure success. Moving on was probably the best thing personally for Owens. We see this all the time at our own jobs. People get complacent and replaceable. They then catch on with a different employer and look the best they ever have.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 08-22-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Every team have decisions to make. Some work, some don't. I too didn't agree with the move but I understood why it was made. The Riders should've kept John Chick but they didn't. Others didn't like the release of Cory Boyd but it worked out in the end. We can sit here and talk about every move the franchise made or didn't make and we'll be here all day. It won't change anything, we as fans just have to live with whatever we have and that's Spencer/Wylie.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Tillman is under contract with Hamilton. I'm about 99.9 percent sure he can't just get up and leave his job for another position in the league during the season while under contract.
    GM changes are rarely made during the season because the moving GM would know too much about the team they are leaving...as far as negotiation lists, which are supposed to be secret and contracts. The only GM move I remember during the season was the Ralph Sazio move from Hamilton to Toronto in the early 80's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    So how did using Owens in the marketing work for all of the years that he was with Toronto?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I have been pretty quiet about Chads moving on since the beginning of the Season. It is nice to see this post brought back to life.

I always believed that a player can contribute in other ways besides being on the field and Chad was that player. Everyone was over the moon about the Big Three and Spencer, while I was sitting here thinking, nope, they won't be the same as last year. I'm not saying I was right however I was not wrong.

We can sit here and be upset that the Argos didn't offer him anything, I know I was. Fact is we will never know the answer. Would Chad have taken less money? Would he have taken a salary based on his production, Would he have been happy in a reduced role? These questions will probably never be answered so we just have to move on, I guess. Just like everyone else I have my beliefs

Do we miss his, yes, do we want him back, sure, I think many would agree but he is now in Hamilton doing what he has done for the Argos for the past 6 seasons. Being a playmaker, an inspiration and becoming a fan favourite. Something I think this Argo team is lacking Big Time right now. Giving Chad up was not just giving up the player on the field but everything he did off the field and on the sidelines.

Mind you just like many fans out there if the Big Three and Spencer come back to have monster games Chad will be forgotten just like this thread was.

If you can't tell I am still bitter about the whole thing.............

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzee19 View Post
    I have been pretty quiet about Chads moving on since the beginning of the Season. It is nice to see this post brought back to life.

I always believed that a player can contribute in other ways besides being on the field and Chad was that player. Everyone was over the moon about the Big Three and Spencer, while I was sitting here thinking, nope, they won't be the same as last year. I'm not saying I was right however I was not wrong.

We can sit here and be upset that the Argos didn't offer him anything, I know I was. Fact is we will never know the answer. Would Chad have taken less money? Would he have taken a salary based on his production, Would he have been happy in a reduced role? These questions will probably never be answered so we just have to move on, I guess. Just like everyone else I have my beliefs

Do we miss his, yes, do we want him back, sure, I think many would agree but he is now in Hamilton doing what he has done for the Argos for the past 6 seasons. Being a playmaker, an inspiration and becoming a fan favourite. Something I think this Argo team is lacking Big Time right now. Giving Chad up was not just giving up the player on the field but everything he did off the field and on the sidelines.

Mind you just like many fans out there if the Big Three and Spencer come back to have monster games Chad will be forgotten just like this thread was.

If you can't tell I am still bitter about the whole thing.............
    Finally someone gets it ... thanks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Owens has led Hamilton to a 4-4 record which is so much better than the Argos' record! Oh wait ...
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Owens has led Hamilton to a 4-4 record which is so much better than the Argos' record! Oh wait ...
    But their starting quarterback was injured... oh wait.
    :-)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not going to lie, I was one that really wanted Owens to return, but it is what it is. Argos have a very tough schedule going forward. Hopefully the return of Ray can calm things down.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Unfortunately these two teams maybe heading in different directions in the next few weeks.
    Collaros returning has made the whole team better.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Unfortunately these two teams maybe heading in different directions in the next few weeks.
    Collaros returning has made the whole team better.
    I think the return of Ray will make the Argos better as well.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    You don't get it, it is NOT all about on field performance, duh.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    You don't get it, it is NOT all about on field performance, duh.
    Unfortunately many don't.

Thing is when you have a leader surrounding other players, everyone else not only looks good but as play at a higher level.

I have seen minimal leadership from anyone on the receiving corps this year. In previous years there was a comradery with the receivers on the field. Owens and Durie you could see it on every down. This is a big thing I miss. It looks more like well here is the play, line up and go. Rinse and repeat.

Now my opinion is bias though.......

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    A previous poster put it very well: the change has done Owens a lot of good, i.e., he seems to be playing better for Hamilton than he did in his last couple of seasons in Toronto.

As far as marketing the team goes, sad to say I don't think any particular Argonaut player does, or would have, made a significant difference. It's just that tough.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I think the return of Ray will make the Argos better as well.
    Sure he does, hopefully the Argos prove they can beat Hamilton.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure we'll beat Hamilton but Ray does make us better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    So many great Owens moments and I can still remember hearing his interview before his first game in Calgary and then that punt return TD that was all heart. He's been my favourite from that moment on. I remember that in 2010, I had that feeling of "well this is a brand new Argos team of which I wonder if there's anyone to really get behind"...Chad Owens, I don't know if you will ever read this, but thanks so much for all that you've given the Argonauts and the CFL.
    I was wishing that at some point he'd retire an Argo and there would be a full stadium to cheer him on one more time but, according to his instagram, he has decided to quietly move back home to Hawaii. Some of it is explained in this interview with Nik Lewis:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swvP0WGiim8