Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

CFL Combine time; prospect position groups - receiver

Wether this is considered a deep draft class? Not sure, but maybe a lot deeper than first thought?

Receivers:

A few receivers in the CFL's Prospects list top 20, including #1 Tevaun Smith (Iowa); this number may be bolstered quite a bit by the main E-Camp invitee list and maybe some additions from the Regional Camps.

The main E-Camp list already includes a couple of before unmentioned types who played Div I US college ball: Josh Stanford (Kansas) - heard somebody mocking this guy's limited production last year at Kansas (only a few catches in a couple of games played), but previously he played at Virginia Tech where his best season production was a few yards better than #1 overall prospect Smith's best season at Iowa ! ? Also - Mike Jones (Southern) - decent but modest production there but he was playing in a Div I program and apparently has great speed.

In addition to those US college ball receivers, I count at least 7 CIS star receivers who have either been CIS all-stars or else in the top 10 in a CIS season in # of receptions or yardage: Brian Jones (Acadia), Levi Noel (U of T), George Johnson (Western), Doug Corby (Queens), Brett Blazko (Calgary) Daniel Skube (Concordia), Alex Vitt (Manitoba - just put up a very good set of test #s at the Edmonton regional); there are also some other interesting CIS receiver prospects like Matt Uren and Jamal Kett (huge target former TE at SFU), both from Western, and Felix Faubert-Lussier (Laval).

SO - maybe a pretty deep receiver class this draft.

Hope the Argos can land at least one of them in the draft, and could probably wait till the mid to even late rounds ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I live 30 minutes from KU and have never heard of Stanford. That doesn't mean anything, but I'm not sure why he transferred to one of the worst college programs in the country. His lack of production is not surprising as KU's starter the first 4-5 games was more of a runner who was awful passing, then they started a true freshman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Add receiver Shaquille Johnson to the list: former CIS rookie of the year with McGill; transferred to Western and didn't do much there; but ran a pretty blazing sub 4.4 forty at the Toronto regional to get added to the Main Combine

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Add receiver Shaquille Johnson to the list: former CIS rookie of the year with McGill; transferred to Western and didn't do much there; but ran a pretty blazing sub 4.4 forty at the Toronto regional to get added to the Main Combine
    I see the combine results on CFL.ca, but they don't list how big the players are.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I see the combine results on CFL.ca, but they don't list how big the players are.
    This is the size listed for the WR's. One can always figure the heights are rounded off to next highest number. (eg 6'1 1/2 becomes 6'2) But there is a lot of size to this group. Smith and Brescacin aren't coming to the Combine.

Tevaun Smith 6'2 200 Iowa
    Llevi Noel 6'3 210 Toronto
    Juwan Brescacin 6'4 220 N. Illinois
    Brian Jones 6'4 230 Acadia
    Doug Corby 6'2 190 Queens
    Brett Blaszko 6'4 220 Calgary
    Felix Faubert 6'0 215 Laval
    George Johnson 6'3 190 Western
    MiKe Jones 6'1 190 Southern
    Joshua Stanford 6'1 200 Kansas
    Shaq Johnson 6'0 185 Western
    James Kett 6'5 215 Western
    Last edited by doubleblue; 03-11-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Brescacin is hoping to get a look as a potential NFL TE. Not sure how that'll work out.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Brescacin is hoping to get a look as a potential NFL TE. Not sure how that'll work out.

Is he listed as a TE prospect on some NFL draft sites? - he's nowhere to be found anywhere near the top for NFL receiver rankings; neither is CFL #1 prospect Tevaun Smith for that matter. None of the Canadian NCAA guys up this CFL draft are highly rated NFL draft prospects it seems - which is good for the CFL. A couple of CIS players - Onyemata and Vaillancourt - have moved up into some NFL draft rankings for their positions; seen Vaillancourt in the top 20 for guards on one site.

As far as players measurements/size - the CFL used to publish a master list of all their Combine test results, with height & weight (reach, hand size too) included; they have not done so the past few years? The listings of size for prospects might be off a little to a lot. Combine measurements would verify that data down to exact numbers; the CIS East-West game has a Combine and they publish all those results, including exact weights and heights - so a number of CFL Combine guys were on that list from last spring.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Only six RB/FB's at the combine and they are all a good size as well, with Mercer Timmis being one of the smaller ones at a listed 6'1 220.

Nathan O'Halloran 6'1 225 Windsor
    Don Tabor 6'0 230 St. Francis
    Devon Stewart 5'11 245 McGill
    Declan Cross 5'11 230 McMaster
    Wayne Moore 6'0 220 McMaster

I can see Barker picking one of these guys in the mid rounds to back up Dupuis, after losing Robinson and Gillanders.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have noticed there are no QB's invited to the combine this year. Could it be the Argos will supply their two young guys in Kilgore and Fajardo to throw for the one on ones. I believe that happened a few years ago when Harris and Collaros had the honours. I think it would add to the interest if the CFL would bring in a few of the top CFL QB's to do the throwing.
    Ricky Ray or Henry Burris might not want to crank up the arm this early, but some of the younger guys like Mitchell, Reilly, Collaros and Harris might agree to help out, for a small fee.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Only six RB/FB's at the combine and they are all a good size as well, with Mercer Timmis being one of the smaller ones at a listed 6'1 220.

Nathan O'Halloran 6'1 225 Windsor
    Don Tabor 6'0 230 St. Francis
    Devon Stewart 5'11 245 McGill
    Declan Cross 5'11 230 McMaster
    Wayne Moore 6'0 220 McMaster

I can see Barker picking one of these guys in the mid rounds to back up Dupuis, after losing Robinson and Gillanders.

Timmis is the only real tailback there (and weighed in at 205 at the CIS East-West Combine last spring), though Cross & Moore were regular backs who carried the ball for Mac, but they will be viewed as CFL fullback/H-back types only; Stewart was a DE for McGill; Tabor was a regular receiver for StFX. O'Hallorhan played as more of a true fullback for Windsor it seems - listed at fullback and very few carries, but caught a decent number of passes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have noticed there are no QB's invited to the combine this year. Could it be the Argos will supply their two young guys in Kilgore and Fajardo to throw for the one on ones. I believe that happened a few years ago when Harris and Collaros had the honours. I think it would add to the interest if the CFL would bring in a few of the top CFL QB's to do the throwing.
    Ricky Ray or Henry Burris might not want to crank up the arm this early, but some of the younger guys like Mitchell, Reilly, Collaros and Harris might agree to help out, for a small fee.
    NO QB prospects? - gee, what a gob shocker there; just stunning. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I doubt the teams would want their starter going through multiple throws in March and possibly risking injury, no matter how small the chance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I doubt the teams would want their starter going through multiple throws in March and possibly risking injury, no matter how small the chance.
    Any Argofans going to the drills at the Combine? - be nice to hear some reports. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Kilgore and Fajardo chucking the passes in the receiver drills. At least they could throw the ball 10+ yards down the field without serving up some wobbly, off-target ducks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Interesting comment regarding Joshua Stanford as per 3downnation:

Many scouts aren’t sure why receiver Josh Stanford even bothered to show up to the combine. He’s been a “train wreck” as one personnel man said since his arrival. A promising talent, Stanford’s gone from really intriguing to possibly off some teams’ draft boards because of his behavior so far.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Interesting comment regarding Joshua Stanford as per 3downnation:

Many scouts aren’t sure why receiver Josh Stanford even bothered to show up to the combine. He’s been a “train wreck” as one personnel man said since his arrival. A promising talent, Stanford’s gone from really intriguing to possibly off some teams’ draft boards because of his behavior so far.
    He only did 8 reps on the bench, but most WR's have low numbers there. His 34" on the vertical jump is in the higher end. So we should see his 40 time and one on ones first before writing him off. Maybe his interviews didn't go well, but guys with his potential don't grow on trees. Jerome Messam was thought to be a head case coming out of Graceland and wasn't drafted, but he has had a decent career in the League even if he has bounced around from team to team. Somebody will give him a shot if he shows something here.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Yeah, but Messam was physically impressive, which is hard to ignore. Why take a chance on an average-looking average-performing receiver like Stanford if there's a whiff of "train wreck" about him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The magic of the Geoffrey Orridge run website.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    The magic of the Geoffrey Orridge run website.

Actually - if you go to the CFL site and click on Combine Roster - it has a spread sheet type list of all the participants, with the results AND measurements - and I'm pretty sure these are actual heights & weights taken there and not just the size off whatever roster they were on in college ball. Some players are often a bit lighter than advertised (like DT Quinn Horton - listed at 315 on the SFU roster, but well under 300 on this CFL Combine list).

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Yeah, the CFL.ca combine data pages are all fully populated now. My only complaint is that it didn't happen as quickly as I would have liked (i.e. close to real-time).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe Mac qb Asher Hastings and a kid from York (Munchak)? tossed the balls today.