Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Leave it to Argo fans to go bonkers over a half sentence statement by Steve Simmons.

Tickets have only been sold for 12 days to the rest of the public. They have not sold any flex packs, and may not depending on the season ticket base. I think 11,900 is a great improvement when you consider they were working with way below a season ticket base of 10k because the supply for tickets was so much greater than demand at Skydome.

I don't think the Argos will end up selling flex packs that allowed fans to choose their games using vouchers like at the cavernous dome. I would not recommend that as you risk shutting out fans if they all show up to the same game, like say Aug 20, when a ticket to a football game also gets you into the CNE fair.That would be a PR nightmare, but I could see them selling 4 or 5 game packs related to getting a ticket for the season opener, maybe an Eastern pack for Eastern teams or a western pack for transplanted CFL fans who've moved to TO over the years. These would be assigned seats like half-season tickets as opposed to vouchers which would have to be redeemed at the box office.

I also think it's time the Argos start selling the product, and not just the stadium. The outdoor experience will make it a more authentic CFL experience but we are dealing with a good portion of the population, possibly most under 40 who've never seen a CFL game in Toronto played outdoors, let alone a CFL game. It's time to sell Ricky Ray, and some of his receivers, or the skill of a national player like Anthony Coombs, who may eventually takeover the role that Andre Durie has had for years on the team and in the community. There's also nothing wrong with selling a popular defensive player, especially a locally developed player like Ricky Foley...time to get them out and hyping the Argos for the upcoming season, and not just the stadium. Get people to emotionally invest in following the team and that it's worth it and means something.

PS - I can't believe I'm the only person that feels this way, and hopefully someone in Argo marketing understands what I'm saying. If they don't, then yikes, you'd have to wonder what are they learning at marketing school considering I didn't attend one? (school yes, sports marketing not so much, athough being a fan and following sports and the environment that stirs up fan interest over the years has given some insight I believe)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Why do you think this given that tickets are now on sale to the general public (the unconverted)?
    Because people aren't thinking about football yet. They should be doing some marketing now but I wouldn't start the big marketing push until late April / early May.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Lots of phone ringing and chatter in the background.
    Kind of reminds me of those TV infomercials where they are trying to sell junk that is to crappy to be sold in stores with the never ending telephones going off in the background trying to make it look like its a hot item. I'm not saying the Argos are doing that but I am one of the ones who are a bit skeptical about the 15K number. In time yes, but just the lure of a semi new stadium that a lot of people look down on as substandard (including me) is not going to do it on its own.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    Kind of reminds me of those TV infomercials where they are trying to sell junk that is to crappy to be sold in stores with the never ending telephones going off in the background trying to make it look like its a hot item. I'm not saying the Argos are doing that but I am one of the ones who are a bit skeptical about the 15K number. In time yes, but just the lure of a semi new stadium that a lot of people look down on as substandard (including me) is not going to do it on its own.
    I don't think that it's going to be substandard anymore. (Once the $120 Million renovation project is completed in May)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I do not believe in anything Simmons writes.
    He is no better than Bob McClown.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I do not believe in anything Simmons writes.
    He is no better than Bob McClown.
    What part of Simmons statement offends you?
    I think his statement (observation) rings true in this case, years of neglect have fostered an apathetic attitude towards the Argos in Toronto, sometimes the truth hurts.
    The new ownership group and change of venue is only the first step in rehabilitating this franchise and will not happen overnight.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    What part of Simmons statement offends you?
    I think his statement (observation) rings true in this case, years of neglect have fostered an apathetic attitude towards the Argos in Toronto, sometimes the truth hurts.
    The new ownership group and change of venue is only the first step in rehabilitating this franchise and will not happen overnight.
    What proof did he provide. None.
    Such as how many are sold, existing ST holders versus new?
    I am not offended, those are you words.
    All I know, like Damian Cox who is another example, Simmons has been anti CFL and Argos for years going back to his days in Calgary.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Because people aren't thinking about football yet. They should be doing some marketing now but I wouldn't start the big marketing push until late April / early May.
    Well they're sure not going to think about it, if you don't start marketing or do any marketing.

You could find any excuse to prolong doing something you should, like market your product. It's still winter and people are not thinking about football is one, or it's spring training and people have baseball on their mind, or it's the NHL playoffs or the NBA playoffs and you won't get prime coverage...there's always an excuse if you look for one and god knows the Argos have used them all over the years to explain their lack of marketing. The CFL in this city is not a turnkey operation, not much is in this day and age of 500 channels, 60 inch TV screens, and massive entertainment options all within a few strokes of a keyboard on the internet.

I think they better get started in terms of marketing and advertising because other than the stadium venue, there's been little difference between this season with the new owners, and last season with Braley. The schedule didn't even come out earlier.

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Well they're sure not going to think about it, if you don't start marketing or do any marketing.

You could find any excuse to prolong doing something you should, like market your product. It's still winter and people are not thinking about football is one, or it's spring training and people have baseball on their mind, or it's the NHL playoffs or the NBA playoffs and you won't get prime coverage...there's always an excuse if you look for one and god knows the Argos have used them all over the years to explain their lack of marketing. The CFL in this city is not a turnkey operation, not much is in this day and age of 500 channels, 60 inch TV screens, and massive entertainment options all within a few strokes of a keyboard on the internet.

I think they better get started in terms of marketing and advertising because other than the stadium venue, there's been little difference between this season with the new owners, and last season with Braley. The schedule didn't even come out earlier.
    They have started marketing, just not in the traditional advertising platforms. Besides the twitter ad I mentioned earlier, I saw my first ad this morning on the website of an on-line computer magazine. This is an effective low cost approach to reaching Gen Xers and millennials. Will there be print ads when the weather warms? Probably. But they have a marketing plan in place and it has already begun. Give this new regime a chance to see if their strategy works or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    They have started marketing, just not in the traditional advertising platforms. Besides the twitter ad I mentioned earlier, I saw my first ad this morning on the website of an on-line computer magazine. This is an effective low cost approach to reaching Gen Xers and millennials. Will there be print ads when the weather warms? Probably. But they have a marketing plan in place and it has already begun. Give this new regime a chance to see if their strategy works or not.
    Agreed. The panic level is a little high for mid March.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Agreed, it's long term rebuild. Someone asked on the CFL boards about the 20K goal originally

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...ate-magic.html

What’s your goal for season-ticket sales?

We would like to be close to 20,000, and we think that’s achievable.

In year one?

We’ll see. I’m not going to limit how far we set our sights. If not in year one, then very shortly after that. We expect next year to sell out every game. We’re aiming high.

By reading that, it tells me 20K isn't a year one goal though they'll still aim for it. He also states that moving to BMO alone will not turn things around.

So are ticket sales are going slower than they expected? Probably, but it's still early and they have allot of resources which they are yet to use.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post

First off I didn't say that they shouldn't be doing any marketing now. I said that they should start the big marketing push in late April or Early May.

Secondly they took out Full Page Newspaper Ads on March 1st to promote Season Tickets going on sale to the general public that day.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd bet that the new ownership group thought that BMO would be enough to bring fans flocking back. I think everyone who's been going to games for years or following this team very closely knew better. It will be a struggle at this point to get the Argonauts in the mind of average GTA folks. I still don't think they are trying as hard as they can.
    Looks like Rocket and myself where on the right page when we were going on and on about a lack of marketing. I guess the new owners don't feel the need to push hard. I don't get it. You can have excuses and wait for this or that but TO fans will always have something else on their minds. Soon they'll be getting excited about the Jays season, Raptors playoffs, TFC improving, and the Leafs hopefully getting last place. The time is now to flood the GTA with Argos marketing. Looks right now like typical Argonaut organizational settling. Just doing enough to fill some seats and having a wait and see approach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    If you go on the TSN website without an adblocker; you'll see Argonauts ads.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I'd bet that the new ownership group thought that BMO would be enough to bring fans flocking back. I think everyone who's been going to games for years or following this team very closely knew better. It will be a struggle at this point to get the Argonauts in the mind of average GTA folks. I still don't think they are trying as hard as they can.
    Looks like Rocket and myself where on the right page when we were going on and on about a lack of marketing. I guess the new owners don't feel the need to push hard. I don't get it. You can have excuses and wait for this or that but TO fans will always have something else on their minds. Soon they'll be getting excited about the Jays season, Raptors playoffs, TFC improving, and the Leafs hopefully getting last place. The time is now to flood the GTA with Argos marketing. Looks right now like typical Argonaut organizational settling. Just doing enough to fill some seats and having a wait and see approach.
    they are at 12,000 already, probably 1000-1500 a month to opening day and they will be upper half of all season ticket bases in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    they are at 12,000 already, probably 1000-1500 a month to opening day and they will be upper half of all season ticket bases in the league.
    I doubt that. Sask has over 25k, Winnipeg 20k, Calgary and Edmonton over 20k. Toronto will probably be ahead of BC and Montreal, but even Ottawa and Hamilton (15-16k) might be hard to catch at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I will ask you again, what Specifically you want them to be doing?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I will ask you again, what Specifically you want them to be doing?
    TV ads on every prime time show - Buses in the GTA covered in Argonauts double blue - Argonauts bill boards - transit stop ads - radio ads - print ads - website ads - ads during MLSE team owned games - every Toronto radio station pumping up and talking Argonauts.

I may have missed some things. I wonder if the nay sayers have any idea as to what this would all cost ? Not to mention it's still early, and in the month of May the jerseys should be unveiled, which is when I personally expect the marketing push to start.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    TV ads on every prime time show - Buses in the GTA covered in Argonauts double blue - Argonauts bill boards - transit stop ads - radio ads - print ads - website ads - ads during MLSE team owned games - every Toronto radio station pumping up and talking Argonauts.

I may have missed some things. I wonder if the nay sayers have any idea as to what this would all cost ? Not to mention it's still early, and in the month of May the jerseys should be unveiled, which is when I personally expect the marketing push to start.

I agree with you.
    The last few weeks, we have seen ads in the newspapers to promote ticket sales to the general public.
    Now it's time before the BJ bandwagon fans start buying their tickets, to promote like heck.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

Lol, is that all?

It's always easier to spend someone else's money.

I know that you're kidding but as someone who graduated with a marketing diploma, TV ads are over rated and over priced. You can spend your money much more effectively elsewhere.