Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    gil, I hold shares?
    Do you want in?
    I must admit AT...I have always wanted to be the guy in the red kool-aid pitcher costume!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    We went to a couple of Rock games as well with the same result Angelo.
    I like the atmosphere at the Ex back in the day, let the action happen and the crowd react naturally and the PA announcers update after each play (Fred Locking was the best).
    Count me in regarding the excessive noise from the music, I would also ditch the in game host babble as well.
    Agreed 100% on Fred Locking. I can still hear it....It'll be FIRST down for the ARgos..short pause and lighter voice...on the 25.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Speaking of dispassionate, we also have Paul Morris for that:

"Toronto goal scored by number ninety nine Wilf Paiement, assist number twenty seven Darryl Sittler and number two Ian Turnbull, the time thirteen thirty eight."

Which was usually followed by Bob Cole screaming out the time of the goal as if we didn't hear Morris the first time.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post

"Toronto goal scored by number ninety nine Wilf Paiement, assist number twenty seven Darryl Sittler and number two Ian Turnbull, the time thirteen thirty eight."

Which was usually followed by Bob Cole screaming out the time of the goal as if we didn't hear Morris the first time.
    Sometimes the simple approach is the best, the days of Paul Morris and Fred Locking are sadly over.
    Today we have beating drums, Strizzy interviews, free pizza contests and prompts telling the fans when to cheer and make noise.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Wow another thing we agree on.
    Loud music during the game, who was responsible for that.
    The NBA started the music thing during games, AT, back in the 1980s and, because that league made enormous gains in popularity during that decade, other leagues decided to imitate it.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The NBA started the music thing during games, AT, back in the 1980s and, because that league made enormous gains in popularity during that decade, other leagues decided to imitate it.
    Exactly.
    "Enormous gains in popularity".
    Take note.

This forum really is composed of a bunch of cranky old men isn't it?
    ("Back in my day...")

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    That might have been Bird and Magic not the music

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Exactly.
    Take note.

("Back in my day...")

Yes, cranky old men (especially AV) who actually were at the Ex when 40,000 to 45,000 regularly showed up to Argo games and I would guess are still the largest demographic at today's games.
    Yes we sometime crow on about the old days but at least we participated and experienced those times, sadly the younger fans haven't as of yet but there is always hope.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sometimes the simple approach is the best, the days of Paul Morris and Fred Locking are sadly over.
    Today we have beating drums, Strizzy interviews, free pizza contests and prompts telling the fans when to cheer and make noise.
    There's no putting the genie back in the bottle as far as team efforts to amp up the game day experience. Of all the things you listed though, the prompts telling fans to cheer and make noise seem the most necessary in this market. In Toronto, a good portion of fans seem to need permission to make noise. In fact, without the prompts it's possible to get dirty looks from surrounding people when you try to make noise. True story, I was once "shushed" at an Argos playoff game when they were trying to make a defensive stand at my end of the field.

Last year at the home opener, I was teaching my son the finer points of when to cheer and when not to and I noticed a mom and her son eavesdropping. They started to join in with us as the game went on and it slowly rippled through our section, but honestly, without the occasional "defence drum" and some scoreboard prompts, I doubt our section would have got as loud as it did. Until we have a fan base that is large enough and passionate enough, those prompts will be necessary. Even when we get there and it becomes more organic, the prompts will never go away. No less than Green Bay had to launch a "Get Loud Lambeau" campaign two seasons ago because the organization felt they weren't getting the full benefit of home field advantage with the crowd noise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Exactly.
    Take note.

("Back in my day...")

Yes, we may prefer things the way they used to be, but it's not like any of us have stopped going to games.

Yes, cranky old men (especially AV)
    I resemble that remark.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    There's no putting the genie back in the bottle as far as team efforts to amp up the game day experience. Of all the things you listed though, the prompts telling fans to cheer and make noise seem the most necessary in this market. In Toronto, a good portion of fans seem to need permission to make noise. In fact, without the prompts it's possible to get dirty looks from surrounding people when you try to make noise. True story, I was once "shushed" at an Argos playoff game when they were trying to make a defensive stand at my end of the field.

Last year at the home opener, I was teaching my son the finer points of when to cheer and when not to and I noticed a mom and her son eavesdropping. They started to join in with us as the game went on and it slowly rippled through our section, but honestly, without the occasional "defence drum" and some scoreboard prompts, I doubt our section would have got as loud as it did. Until we have a fan base that is large enough and passionate enough, those prompts will be necessary. Even when we get there and it becomes more organic, the prompts will never go away. No less than Green Bay had to launch a "Get Loud Lambeau" campaign two seasons ago because the organization felt they weren't getting the full benefit of home field advantage with the crowd noise.
    I agree fans need to make noise, and in our market need encouragement. What we don't need are loud snippets from pop songs after every play. If anything that stifles crowd noise because it becomes difficult to engage with people around you about the last play/the next play etc. When music is blasting, a lot of people just sit there in silence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Exactly.
    Take note.

("Back in my day...")

You kids, get the F off my lawn:

http://youtu.be/VJ6uvviKOgI

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post

I too have been told to be quiet at an Argonauts game during a defensive stand. I promptly told the person that they were at a football game and if they wanted quiet to go to a baseball game.

Honestly Toronto is a terrible sports market. I've been to sporting events in many cities and Toronto is the worst. Very little passion and very little knowledge about anything that isn't directly related to the leafs.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I too have been told to be quiet at an Argonauts game during a defensive stand. I promptly told the person that they were at a football game and if they wanted quiet to go to a baseball game.

Honestly Toronto is a terrible sports market. I've been to sporting events in many cities and Toronto is the worst. Very little passion and very little knowledge about anything that isn't directly related to the leafs.

Boatman
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    It seems like the only time Toronto fans get loud is celebrating a score or a win. Not enough understand that timely noise beforehand can influence the final result.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I know, I was there. I've had essentially season tickets to the Jays since 2005. Point is, this city can be great for sports at times but the fans can be fickle as well.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Maple Leaf regular season crowds are notoriously quiet, and that is something that Conn Smythe influenced back in the 1930's. But, a playoff crowd at Maple Leaf Gardens could get pretty loud as did ACC playoff crowds. I think you could make that argument for any of the Toronto teams that there is a big difference between a regular season crowd and playoff crowd. Several pundits in the States have commented on the crowd noise for Raptors playoff games.

As for Toronto being a good or bad sports market. Well, that is probably true for any team aside from the Leafs. It took the late season Jays run to boost crowds to sellouts although they were never as low in 2015 as they were in the articles that Neely posted. Same with the Raptors as ot wasn't until they came out of nowhere in 2013-2014 that crowds started selling out.

I'll also be blunt and state that we as diehard CFL fans are probably more likely than others in labeling Toronto a bad sports town because of the lack of respect that the Argos get from the Toronto sports establishment. That establishment includes the Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays and, yes, probably TFC.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm with Neely and have mentioned this often on this site that TO is a CRAP sports market. I remember when I still paid and attended Leaf games at the greatest arena of all time, Maple Leaf Gardens. My uncle was a Deputy Chief Of Police in TO and had all kinds of connections. He'd either get me great tickets for free or my cousin and I would pay for primo golds. They were dirty cheap by today's standards. Hockey was wild then with plenty of scraps and I'd jump up and yell only to hear scoffs from suited TOOLS sitting behind us. I remember telling one bag and her dolt husband off and "Saying unlike you I purchased these tickets". I haven't paid to see a Leaf game since the Gardens.
    Try hitting an OHL game in Peterborough. Every friggin game starts with CRAP music during the warm up. A charity of some sort seems to be in your face every game. Crap music between whistles. Mobile devices have been mass marketing creating a massive issue in our society of folks who have zero attention span and need constant stimulation. Some people don't even know how to interact in conversation anymore. Their screwed up brains need BS on their mobile device while the game is on or CRAP music. I hate people all in all!!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post

What a great description, I actually heard that in my head. And I loved the voice of the oft forgotten Bill Hewitt, mystery man of hockey.