Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Interesting. The ad in today's Sun reflects what's on the website. The ad in Saturday's Sun had it as Home Opener AND "choose any two (other) games." I don't know if it's just two different ways of advertising the same thing, or the strategy changed. Probably the former.

Yes it did, the full page ads offered two different possibilities over the two days in my Sun.
    You would think these are good values for the bandwagon casual fan or even those that cannot commit to the entire season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I thought similarly to you at first. Now I see the Vikings are playing their stadium opener against the Packers. Perhaps there's more to be gained for leagues when the event of the first game is heightened by playing a major rival and divisional threat.
    My and others (pw13, I think) was that the home opener will be an event, so why waste the Hamilton bullet. Use it against BC or some team that won't draw.

I think the NFL is making a mistake as well there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I think the bigger question is what will attendance be like July 13? I still think the league made a mistake having Hamilton as the home opener.
    I dunno, i think if there is a legit concern that the Argos are using their ticat trump card for the season opener, then the franchise should probably just close up shop. Strategic dates are important, but at some point the team needs to stand on it's own merits as a decent drawing club. Test the waters early.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    My and others (pw13, I think) was that the home opener will be an event, so why waste the Hamilton bullet. Use it against BC or some team that won't draw.

I think the NFL is making a mistake as well there.
    I was undecided on this too. I can see both sides of it. It is a Thursday night game so maybe that played into the decision to play the Ti-Cats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I was always on board with the Ti-cats opening the building. If they can get a big crowd with great atmosphere, there is no better advertisement to bring any first time patrons back.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think the Cats invading BMO for the home opener is great....local media will be all over the return of Chad Owens.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I think the Cats invading BMO for the home opener is great....local media will be all over the return of Chad Owens.
    Does our local media even know who Chad Owens is ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Wouldn't we rather they were all over the new stadium and new game experience? That has longer-lasting impact on the marketplace than the return of a player who left, in a league where players leave teams all the time. Chad returning is, in a way, "business as usual." A new stadium with a grass field and maybe (hopefully) tailgating, etc., is far from business as usual. We'll probably get coverage of both stories, which is a good thing, but I'm hoping the fan experience takes precedence over everything else at first.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Does our local media even know who Chad Owens is ?
    I swear to you, once when I was still listening to crappy sports radio, Dave Feschuk actually said "I don't really know much about the CFL." This was during the Grey Cup. I think: it was either an unbelievable unintended admission of ignorance (hey Toronto sports "journalist," meet the largest annual sporting event in Canada), or what is more likely-- another example of the anti-CFL "badge of honour" that sports people in TO wear in regards to the CFL. I am in the midst of doing a content analysis of some of the leading Toronto/national "columnists"-- they ignore the biggest annual sporting events in Canada (CFL-Grey Cup, CHL-Memorial Cup, curling); the only sports that matter to these guys are the NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA. Now, one might argue that this is where the interest lies, but is that really the case? Does the NBA/Raptors interest in Toronto (let alone Canada) really garner the amount of media coverage they get? Or is it yet another example of branch-plant wannabeeism by crappy sports "journalists" who would really love to be (but aren't good enough) working for ESPN?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Wouldn't we rather they were all over the new stadium and new game experience? That has longer-lasting impact on the marketplace than the return of a player who left, in a league where players leave teams all the time. Chad returning is, in a way, "business as usual." A new stadium with a grass field and maybe (hopefully) tailgating, etc., is far from business as usual. We'll probably get coverage of both stories, which is a good thing, but I'm hoping the fan experience takes precedence over everything else at first.
    Sorry Paul, I should clarify. The return of CO2 will only add to the new stadium and game experience.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    I swear to you, once when I was still listening to crappy sports radio, Dave Feschuk actually said "I don't really know much about the CFL." This was during the Grey Cup. I think: it was either an unbelievable unintended admission of ignorance (hey Toronto sports "journalist," meet the largest annual sporting event in Canada), or what is more likely-- another example of the anti-CFL "badge of honour" that sports people in TO wear in regards to the CFL.
    This is all you need to know about Feschuck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdo7MnVtL50
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    I am in the midst of doing a content analysis of some of the leading Toronto/national "columnists"-- they ignore the biggest annual sporting events in Canada (CFL-Grey Cup, CHL-Memorial Cup, curling); the only sports that matter to these guys are the NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA. Now, one might argue that this is where the interest lies, but is that really the case? Does the NBA/Raptors interest in Toronto (let alone Canada) really garner the amount of media coverage they get? Or is it yet another example of branch-plant wannabeeism by crappy sports "journalists" who would really love to be (but aren't good enough) working for ESPN?
    I've been saying for the longest time - I would love for anyone in the media to actually explain to me as to why MLB and the NBA get the coverage they do. Take out the Blue Jays and MLB ratings are pathetic - Raps and NBA's ratings are also pretty bad. It honestly makes zero sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You can't take the home team out of the equation and draw meaningful conclusions about a sport's popularity. Sports is all about following the home team (when there is one, that is). Take out the Tigers and MLB ratings are probably bad in Detroit, too. Blue Jays ratings are the opposite of pathetic -- how many viewers a game between St. Louis and San Francisco draws in mid-season in this market is irrelevant to that reality, other than to underscore the importance of the home team to viewing habits.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Boy do I hate bringing the TFC into this discussion especially since there are many others who regularly troll for them, but I read in the Sun today they have 1200 seats from the capacity of 30,000 left for the opening game on May 7.
    Surely to goodness with over 15K season tickets and all of the hype and excitement going into the new stadium, with still a few months away we can sellout the first game maybe even the preseason all at 27k?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Surely to goodness with over 15K season tickets and all of the hype and excitement going into the new stadium, with still a few months away we can sellout the first game maybe even the preseason all at 27k?
    You really should do a manual check of the available season tickets on the virtual site. Once you have done that, you might just realize that the team has not sold 15,000 season tickets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You can't take the home team out of the equation and draw meaningful conclusions about a sport's popularity. Sports is all about following the home team (when there is one, that is). Take out the Tigers and MLB ratings are probably bad in Detroit, too. Blue Jays ratings are the opposite of pathetic -- how many viewers a game between St. Louis and San Francisco draws in mid-season in this market is irrelevant to that reality, other than to underscore the importance of the home team to viewing habits.
    The home of the Blue Jays is Toronto - not all of Canada, but the ratings are about 50-50 in terms of the GTA extended market and the rest of Canada. The rest of Major League baseball averages under 100k in all of Canada. My point is still valid despite what you may think - I have no issue with the media bringing up the Jays because they are very relevant, so it makes sense, but the rest of Baseball ? Do we really need to hear about A. Rod as often as we do ? Seems like our media types just like talking about what's going on in sports down south, more so than whats actually cared about up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Boy do I hate bringing the TFC into this discussion especially since there are many others who regularly troll for them, but I read in the Sun today they have 1200 seats from the capacity of 30,000 left for the opening game on May 7.
    Did I miss something ?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any confirmation or even mention of the teams true season ticket numbers. So where is this over 15k coming from ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The home of the Blue Jays is Toronto - not all of Canada, but the ratings are about 50-50 in terms of the GTA extended market and the rest of Canada. The rest of Major League baseball averages under 100k in all of Canada. My point is still valid despite what you may think - I have no issue with the media bringing up the Jays because they are very relevant, so it makes sense, but the rest of Baseball ? Do we really need to hear about A. Rod as often as we do ? Seems like our media types just like talking about what's going on in sports down south, more so than whats actually cared about up here.
    So by extension the Toronto media should report only on the Argos when it comes to CFL? I don't accept that. It's possible to care about a sport but only closely follow -- ie go out of your way to watch on TV -- one team. I root for the home CFL team, but I also care about the league and follow it in a broader sense than just through the narrow prism of what's happening with the Argos. Most of us here are the same, it would seem.

I believe Toronto baseball fans (except for the minority who cheer for other teams) care most deeply about the Blue Jays but are also interested in other doings around the majors. They may not watch many non-BJ games (which I suspect is the case in other MLB markets as well) but they are interested in other news around the sports. And I'm not seeing gobs of A-Rod coverage (or any other MLB coverage) in Toronto media. Sure, the national sports nets show highlights of every team and discuss big doings in each sport, but local media focus pretty narrowly on local (where applicable). Since there's no local NFL team the coverage of that league tends to be a bit broader, albeit with more on the Bills than any other team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Did I miss something ?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any confirmation or even mention of the teams true season ticket numbers. So where is this over 15k coming from ?
    Saying it often enough makes it true, don't ya know?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Saying it often enough makes it true, don't ya know?
    Saying it or waiting long enough will make it true, to which the "see I told you so posts" will commence.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Saying it or waiting long enough will make it true, to which the "see I told you so posts" will commence.
    As Seinfeld taught us....If you believe it, then it is not a lie.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I would tend to agree with Paul. I don't watch much baseball beyond the Blue Jays, but I still prefer to be informed about going-ons in the league as a whole.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022