Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The line brawl on Good Friday 1984 was one for the ages. The referee Bruce Hood is believed to have been "encouraged" to retire as a result of what happened in that game.
    BTW, Clint Malarchuk was involved in that game as Quebec's goalie. I watched a great documentary about his life last night. He has managed to cheat death a few times including on the ice in Buffalo in March of 1989 when his jugular vein was cut by an opponent's skate.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Moving 2 New York Area teams would never happen, maybe the Devils as Newark has not really enticed fans to come out, nor improved the Devils attendance. It's a nice arena and it was built in Newark to revitalize the area, but if any New York area team moves, it would be the New Jersey Devils. The Islanders I think will eventually be a main tenant in an arena that will be built in Queens, or Queens County which is part of New York City. The team will never go back to Nassau County as the area has changed and there was, and is, no impetus politically to build an arena to keep the Islanders playing home games in Nassau County. This is why the team moved into the city of Brooklyn from Long Island, even though they're playing in a virtual basketball only arena.

PS - Geographically, Brooklyn (also historically known as Kings' County) and Queens' are on Long Island and connected by land to Nassau County and Suffolk County which make up the Island, although politically they've been annexed as part of New York City, with City Hall obviously located on Manhattan Island (referred as just Manhattan). Therefore, Long Island, as used for Geo-political conversation always refers to just Nassau and Suffolk counties, the 2 counties that are not part of New York City on the island.
    I never said that it would - I'd just like to see it. If I had to choose between the two; I think the Islanders should move. The Devils have new and very wealthy owners; who are not known for losing money (76er's being the exception). I also don't think the New York area needs yet another arena (MSG, Barclays, Prudential and the 13,000 seat Nassau). Move the Islanders to Vegas or Seattle to even out the divisions again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://www.tsn.ca/report-isles-may-l...ueens-1.530708

While I'm still not crazy about the idea of having 4 arenas with 13,000 minimum seating; I can understand why the owners feel the move might have to be made.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

While I'm still not crazy about the idea of having 4 arenas with 13,000 minimum seating; I can understand why the owners feel the move might have to be made.
    No surprise, as the Islanders playing in Queens, (Flushing near Arthur Ashe Stadium and City Field) puts the Islanders much closer to their long-time fan base that remembers supporting the team in Uniondale where they were winning Stanley Cups and rocking the house down in the early 80's. The trek to Brooklyn was way out of the way for long-time season ticket holders and many didn't renew their tickets at the Barclay's Center.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

NYC is a humongous city, would be nice if the GTA had 2 major pro arenas for another NHL team. Toronto is the largest city in North America that does not have a second pro size arena...note I said GTA, not GTHA, which would include Hamilton as they have First Ontario Centre (Copps Coliseum). The distance from Copps Coliseum to downtown Toronto is 20 km farther than the distance between the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn to the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale so that's why I would not consider it GTA, despite the real estate folks who want to bloat those Hamilton property values by using the term GTHA.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Straight out of Humber in 85 a buddy and I were flown down to check out Long Island by a company called Long Island Tree service. We checked the area out for the day and were both offered jobs but I just wanted the trip. Having been there you realize that the Islanders belong on Long Island or near so Queens would be a good fit. My NYC experience never involved the actual big city but Long Island was killer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    NYC is a humongous city, would be nice if the GTA had 2 major pro arenas for another NHL team. Toronto is the largest city in North America that does not have a second pro size arena...note I said GTA, not GTHA, which would include Hamilton as they have First Ontario Centre (Copps Coliseum). The distance from Copps Coliseum to downtown Toronto is 20 km farther than the distance between the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn to the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale so that's why I would not consider it GTA, despite the real estate folks who want to bloat those Hamilton property values by using the term GTHA.
    The Barclays Center, Prudential Center and Nassau Colisuem all lose money or were losing in the case of Nassau, but yeah building yet another arena in a saturated market is just the ticket.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Barclays Center, Prudential Center and Nassau Colisuem all lose money or were losing in the case of Nassau, but yeah building yet another arena in a saturated market is just the ticket.
    Nassau Coliseum is practically closed. It will not be a major arena any longer as it is outdated. The neighbourhood around the arena has also turned to crap. The Prudential Center is in Newark, New Jersey and that's been a depressed area for a long time. The Barclays Center was built in a gentrified area of Brooklyn, but it's a basketball only arena with horrid sight lines for hockey.

An arena that could be controlled by the islanders would be more economically viable and its location near LaGuardia would attract more events than the Barclays Center which is too close to MSG in Manhattan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Nassau is a dump. Lucky the Isles got out of there. There was noise a few years ago about a move to Queens but the local population generally hate hockey. Local politicians even said as much. Hockey is a tough sell in NYC, i always say the Rangers coverage in NY pales to the Argos coverage in TO which is why i never complain about the Argos situation in the marketplace. The only difference is the Argos get bad press from some whereas the Rangers get little to no press.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    Nassau is a dump. Lucky the Isles got out of there. There was noise a few years ago about a move to Queens but the local population generally hate hockey. Local politicians even said as much. Hockey is a tough sell in NYC,
    The Rangers get 18,000 a game, every game for many years. It's solid in the marketplace. They don't get the press that the Yankees get, but so don't the NY Knicks in the NBA or even the Giants, Jets and the Mets when they are not playing well. (Actually the Giants as the older NFL team get plenty of coverage, but New York City is known as a baseball town because of its history and is also home to two minor league baseball teams, along with their MLB teams)

At one time the Rangers and the Islanders used to sellout every game. The Devils never, but it's across the Hudson River in Jersey, so they should be trying to entice a different market. As for Queens, it was only one ignorant politician, who happens to be African American who said, "Keep that white sport out of Queens," in referring to hockey. Could you imagine if the shoe was reversed, (not that it should be) and someone who wasn't black defined basketball in the same way this clown defined hockey...it would be on the front pages and leading the national newscasts of all the networks for a week. Maybe that politician should ask how terrible a sport hockey has been to Dustin Byfuglien, Grant Fuhr, Charlie Huddy or Tony McKegney and many other black people who've played pro hockey to find out what they think about his opinion.

Queens' is a very multicultural, pluralistic community. I'm sure there are people who can't relate to hockey or downright hate it, but conversely there are many who I'm sure like the sport. There has been an influx of Eastern Europeans from hockey playing countries who've immigrated to Queens and Brooklyn in the last 20 years, which is a reason cited for why the Islanders moved into the Barclays Center, as the Brooklyn Nets and the arena is owned by a Russian billionaire. The market is there, probably closer to Queens and closer to the long-time Islander fan base, but it's there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Rangers get 18,000 a game, every game for many years. It's solid in the marketplace. They don't get the press that the Yankees get, but so don't the NY Knicks in the NBA or even the Giants, Jets and the Mets when they are not playing well. (Actually the Giants as the older NFL team get plenty of coverage, but New York City is known as a baseball town because of its history and is also home to two minor league baseball teams, along with their MLB teams)

At one time the Rangers and the Islanders used to sellout every game. The Devils never, but it's across the Hudson River in Jersey, so they should be trying to entice a different market. As for Queens, it was only one ignorant politician, who happens to be African American who said, "Keep that white sport out of Queens," in referring to hockey. Could you imagine if the shoe was reversed, (not that it should be) and someone who wasn't black defined basketball in the same way this clown defined hockey...it would be on the front pages and leading the national newscasts of all the networks for a week. Maybe that politician should ask how terrible a sport hockey has been to Dustin Byfuglien, Grant Fuhr, Charlie Huddy or Tony McKegney and many other black people who've played pro hockey to find out what they think about his opinion.

Queens' is a very multicultural, pluralistic community. I'm sure there are people who can't relate to hockey or downright hate it, but conversely there are many who I'm sure like the sport. There has been an influx of Eastern Europeans from hockey playing countries who've immigrated to Queens and Brooklyn in the last 20 years, which is a reason cited for why the Islanders moved into the Barclays Center, as the Brooklyn Nets and the arena is owned by a Russian billionaire. The market is there, probably closer to Queens and closer to the long-time Islander fan base, but it's there.
    Seeing as how LLB997 lives (or has lived in NewYork), I would personally defer to him on knowledge of that market.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Seeing as how LLB997 lives (or has lived in NewYork), I would personally defer to him on knowledge of that market.
    Alot of it is a New York thing. Nothing is bigger than the city. Everything gets lost in the New Yorkness. The Rangers are America's biggest NHL market but Bettman still has to sell the sport in the media. Actually Bettman talking hockey in New York reminds me alot of Cohon talking CFL in Toronto. Even Goodell has to sell the NFL in New York. He admitted a few yrs back that the Superbowl couldn't compete with New York City.
    Yes, Its all about the Yankees, reminds me of the Leafs in TO in so many ways.
    The Knicks are far more visable than any NHL team and they suck and have sucked forever. If the Knicks put together a serious run, the media and celebrities would go hog wild. Remember Jeremy Lin?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Alot of it is a New York thing. Nothing is bigger than the city. Everything gets lost in the New Yorkness. The Rangers are America's biggest NHL market but Bettman still has to sell the sport in the media. Actually Bettman talking hockey in New York reminds me alot of Cohon talking CFL in Toronto. Even Goodell has to sell the NFL in New York. He admitted a few yrs back that the Superbowl couldn't compete with New York City.
    The Knicks are far more visable than any NHL team and they suck and have sucked forever. If the Knicks put together a serious run, the media and celebrities would go hog wild. Remember Jeremy Lin?
    Yes, the reason I deferred to you was because when I speak to my work contacts in New York, they tell me the Rangers aren't exactly front page sports news there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes, the reason I deferred to you was because when I speak to my work contacts in New York, they tell me the Rangers aren't exactly front page sports news there.
    I also remember when the Rangers and the Knicks were in the finals at the same time in 1994 and the Rangers were every bit as popular, even more so than Knicks. You could argue that College Basketball from the Big East days was more popular than the NBA in New York City. The NBA needs to use shoes, hip hop and Spike Lee sitting in the front row at MSG to market its league or they're not much better off than the NHL really. Both the Rangers and the Knicks depend on corporate tickets to suits that hang around Manhattan during weekdays. As a matter of fact, I'll say the attendance at Ranger games was probably better for most of their history when you consider that the Blues section, known for working class die hards were continually packed for decades to watch the Rangers. The NBA was known for papering attendance and not having filled buildings even to this day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    How do you know where I've lived and who my contacts are or are not in NYC?I personally do not care who you defer about knowledge of the New York City market, but I found it odd that in your deference you really did not comment about my post yet felt the need to quote it...this is a message board and if the requirement is living in a place to comment about it, then nobody would comment about most cities in the league we're talking about it, or have an opinion on anything that can be substantiated.

According to your logic, if you haven't lived in a place as you've assumed, then it's all Greek to you and you shouldn't heed it...carry on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    How do you know where I've lived and who my contacts are or are not in NYC?I personally do not care who you defer about knowledge of the New York City market, but I found it odd that in your deference you really did not comment about my post yet felt the need to quote it...this is a message board and if the requirement is living in a place to comment about it, then nobody would comment about most cities in the league we're talking about it, or have an opinion on anything that can be substantiated.

According to your logic, if you haven't lived in a place as you've assumed, then it's all Greek to you and you shouldn't heed it...carry on.
    OK, I take it all back. You are absolutely brilliant.