Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

New York Islanders want out of Barclays Center

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...145640606.html
    http://thehockeywriters.com/islander...-center-lease/

Not surprised at all - even the Nets struggle in Brooklyn. I'm of the opinion the Islanders should either relocate to somewhere other than in New York or just fold. No need to build yet another arena.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    They should sell to the group that wants a team in Quebec, move there and stop this expansion talk nonsense.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    They should sell to the group that wants a team in Quebec, move there and stop this expansion talk nonsense.
    ^ This!
    Read earlier as well that the Coyotes are looking into building an Arena in Tempe or Scottsdale in association with ASU (very good option IMO); The Phoenix Suns owners also wants a new arena. There's also chatter that Milwaukee wants an NHL team with their new arena. Still chatter about Seattle, Portland and Vegas.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Would love to see NHL hockey back in Quebec City.
    The Islanders have been a mess for many years, what other arena options do they have?
    Relocation may be the only way to save the franchise.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Wouldn't surpirse me if Barclays will want out of the deal as well.

They're paying over 50 million a year for the Isles to play there. How do they get anywhere close to a good ROI?

The 2 big players that brought this deal together are pretty much out of the picture.

Bruce Ratner really pushed to have the Isles in. He sold his shares in the arena to the Nets.

Charles Wang will no longer be majority owner effective July 1.

With both key figures out and such a questionable plan to begin with. No wonder it can be short lived.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quebec may "deserve" a franchise but if one gets there I don't see it being good for the CFL. Another NHL team in Canada means that much more sponsorship and ad revenue to the NHL and that much less to the CFL, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Quebec may "deserve" a franchise but if one gets there I don't see it being good for the CFL. Another NHL team in Canada means that much more sponsorship and ad revenue to the NHL and that much less to the CFL, IMO.
    Better a team in Quebec than a second Toronto team, which, I think, would do far more damage to CFL revenues, and would have a negative effect on all Toronto teams not named Leafs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Doesn't concern me Paul. The NHL in Canada already has all the national sponsorships they are going to get. It really is no issue for added local sponsorships to go in a city where there is no CFL team. You can also never count out the possibility of the ownership group in Quebec using their resources, and contacts to make a CFL team work there if they decide to add to their sports empire. Let's call it Quebec City Sports and Entertainment Ltd.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The CFL would not work in Quebec City, as it is a college football town that loves supporting thier local boys playing in the CIS. I also think the Montreal Alouettes, and their owner Robert Wettenhall, would prefer to have the entire Quebec market for themselves.

I think the CFL should focus on getting that ever-so elusive 10th team in the Maritimes largest city, Halifax. They have no Major Pro sports teams and would be a terrific draw to attract fans from not just the Halifax Metro Area, but also from the rest of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, where people can now drive to the mainland via the Confederation bridge. Of course, they'd welcome fans from NFLD or the Gaspesie, from as far as Quebec City, but they'd have the entire Maritime market.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    The CFL would not work in Quebec City, as it is a college football town that loves supporting thier local boys playing in the CIS. I also think the Montreal Alouettes, and their owner Robert Wettenhall, would prefer to have the entire Quebec market for themselves.

I think the CFL should focus on getting that ever-so elusive 10th team in the Maritimes largest city, Halifax. They have no Major Pro sports teams and would be a terrific draw to attract fans from not just the Halifax Metro Area, but also from the rest of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, where people can now drive to the mainland via the Confederation bridge. Of course, they'd welcome fans from NFLD or the Gaspesie, from as far as Quebec City, but they'd have the entire Maritime market.
    I agree Quebec would not work in the CFL, but that wasn't my point. A Quebec NHL team would mean more ad dollars to the NHL and fewer to the CFL, IMO.

As for Atlantic Canada, who wouldn't want a 10th franchise and especially in Halifax. But I don't believe we will see it any time soon. There isn't enough corporate money out there to build a stadium and fund a team, and no events that I know of that would persuade govt to pay the lion's share of a stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    The indifference to hockey in NYC is off the charts. The Argos get more media play in Toronto than the Rangers do in NY during each respective season and that is no joke. The Devs and Isles are non existent. I remember a few years back they were talking about moving the Islanders to Queens and a council member said Queens doesn't need that white people sport. lol . Move em to Quebec already.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was barely aware the the Islanders had even moved, so just out of curiosity, I search images of the new rink they were in and no wonder they want to move again. I thought a CFL field in BMO was bad but that is a hockey rink in a basketball court. What a joke. How does the Hamilton Islanders sound. Not going to happen, but nice to think about.
    Last edited by Deerkeeper; 02-23-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    I was barely aware the the Islanders had even moved, so just out of curiosity, I search images of the new rink they were in and no wonder they want to move again. I thought a CFL field in BMO was bad but that is a hockey rink in a basketball court. What a joke. How does the Hamilton Islanders sound. Not going to happen, but nice to think about.
    I'm always reminded of the World Championships when I see highlights of an Islanders' home game, but instead of a Skoda car in the corner, it's an SUV. How about those seats that are to the right of that vehicle on your TV screen, I'm certain those basketball style seats as you mention curl toward centre which is great for watching the action by the far net, but could give a fan quite the whiplash during end-to-end action as he/she twists their neck to look behind them for the action on their side of the rink. Kind of reminds me of Candlestick park and the configuration for 49'ers games, or CNE stadium and those bleacher seats that were miles away from right-field, let alone home plate.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Move them back to Long Island where they belong in a revamped arena.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Move them back to Long Island where they belong in a revamped arena.
    I believe two proposals for a new stadium in Long Island have been rejected by voters. Not sure where they go from here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The completion of this Videotron Centre, the new arena in Quebec City to attract an NHL team could not have occurred at a worse time with the plunging loonie. As a hockey fan, I'd love to see it as Quebec City added such a natural organic vibe to the NHL and it's rivalries, especially with Montreal.

Quite frankly, I can't get into the Florida-Nashville rivalry. I also agree about relocation instead of expansion. The NHL already has 6 teams too many imo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't see the NHL folding any teams, so I would at least like to see the Islanders, Devils, Hurricanes, Panthers and Coyotes moved. Unless of course the Coyotes can actually make it work in the East Valley.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I don't see the NHL folding any teams, so I would at least like to see the Islanders, Devils, Hurricanes, Panthers and Coyotes moved. Unless of course the Coyotes can actually make it work in the East Valley.
    Moving 2 New York Area teams would never happen, maybe the Devils as Newark has not really enticed fans to come out, nor improved the Devils attendance. It's a nice arena and it was built in Newark to revitalize the area, but if any New York area team moves, it would be the New Jersey Devils. The Islanders I think will eventually be a main tenant in an arena that will be built in Queens, or Queens County which is part of New York City. The team will never go back to Nassau County as the area has changed and there was, and is, no impetus politically to build an arena to keep the Islanders playing home games in Nassau County. This is why the team moved into the city of Brooklyn from Long Island, even though they're playing in a virtual basketball only arena.

PS - Geographically, Brooklyn (also historically known as Kings' County) and Queens' are on Long Island and connected by land to Nassau County and Suffolk County which make up the Island, although politically they've been annexed as part of New York City, with City Hall obviously located on Manhattan Island (referred as just Manhattan). Therefore, Long Island, as used for Geo-political conversation always refers to just Nassau and Suffolk counties, the 2 counties that are not part of New York City on the island.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Moving 2 New York Area teams would never happen, maybe the Devils as Newark has not really enticed fans to come out, nor improved the Devils attendance. It's a nice arena and it was built in Newark to revitalize the area, but if any New York area team moves, it would be the New Jersey Devils. The Islanders I think will eventually be a main tenant in an arena that will be built in Queens, or Queens County which is part of New York City. The team will never go back to Nassau County as the area has changed and there was, and is, no impetus politically to build an arena to keep the Islanders playing home games in Nassau County. This is why the team moved into the city of Brooklyn from Long Island, even though they're playing in a virtual basketball only arena.

PS - Geographically, Brooklyn (also historically known as Kings' County) and Queens' are on Long Island and connected by land to Nassau County and Suffolk County which make up the Island, although politically they've been annexed as part of New York City, with City Hall obviously located on Manhattan Island (referred as just Manhattan). Therefore, Long Island, as used for Geo-political conversation always refers to just Nassau and Suffolk counties, the 2 counties that are not part of New York City on the island.
    I never said that it would - I'd just like to see it. If I had to choose between the two; I think the Islanders should move. The Devils have new and very wealthy owners; who are not known for losing money (76er's being the exception). I also don't think the New York area needs yet another arena (MSG, Barclays, Prudential and the 13,000 seat Nassau). Move the Islanders to Vegas or Seattle to even out the divisions again.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    How much fun would those Montreal vs Quebec games be to see again. There was always tons of hate. That of in a way tougher era though.