Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Matt Walter released

http://www.stampeders.com/2016/02/26/walter-released/

Very good player IMO; shocked that Hufnagel would release him and I'm sure Walters will have quite a few offers shortly (if he hasn't already). Winnipeg is reportedly interested.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos should jump all over this.

You can never have toomany H-Back types in the eyes of the GOB's.

Seriously though, he is capable of being a good starting RB in the league for sure. I like his all around game better than Messam's.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    If I were the Argos' GM, I'd make an offer to Matt Walter for sure. I doubt he will though. This is exactly the kind of back the Argos need to complement their smaller RBs. As has been discussed, Barker and Milanovich favour smaller, import RBs. I bet that Walter could/would be a better blocker than the smaller RBs currently on the roster, and he is also an effective ball carrier and can catch passes as well. Walter is similar in size to Anthony Woodson and Brendan Gillanders, and the Argos had little to no use for those two as ball carriers. Unless they want to give Walter a decent role on offence, I doubt the Argos will want to pay him what he'll end up getting, even though the Argos have cap space. Walter was underutilized in Calgary, but still at least had enough playing time and carries on offence to show he can play very well. It would therefore be harder for the Argos coaching staff to leave Walters on the bench while on offence and keep him mostly on special teams. There is also no reason to sign him if that's all they'd use him for.

Brendan Gillanders may have wanted to go home to Ottawa regardless. That said, he also probably wanted a larger role on offence. He may or may not get that in Ottawa. That said, Matt Walter would be a great pickup as his replacement and could do some serious damage on offence for the Argos. He'll be 27 in 2016, and has had a modest workload. He probably has a lot of football left in him. Running the ball may also be more important on the grass field at BMO. We'll see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Walter is a capable tailback for sure (CFL career 5.3 yds/carry average i believe).

Would be viewed as just good "depth" though by the typical GOB; maybe Huff cut him to clear some cap room? - not that Walter was making big CFL buck$, but had probably moved up quite a bit from CFL minimum in his few years with the Stamps? Huff might try to draft Timmis - quality RB from the Dinos; or maybe he hopes Tyler Varga shakes loose from the NFL (doubtful)?

Might make sense for the Bombers to pick him up - could work in tandem with Andrew Harris if they are thinking of going all NI at RB ?

Mookie - I doubt Gillanders gets a bigger role on offence with Ottawa - probably H-back or fullback = quite limited role; they had NI draft pick Lafrance on their roster last year (thought he looked pretty good in some ex, game action), but Lafrance was given no real work at tailback as they went thru Chev Walker (great speed but way too timid between the tackles - horrible career yds/carry average), then Jeremiah Johnson (OK but nothing special for sure) and then they found that new import back Powell who was impressive IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    maybe Huff cut him to clear some cap room? - not that Walter was making big CFL buck$, but had probably moved up quite a bit from CFL minimum in his few years with the Stamps? Huff might try to draft Timmis - quality RB from the Dinos;
    From what I've been reading, this is the thought process. Walter was believed to be making 100k, and had a decent sized roster bonus coming up on Tuesday.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd be grabbing him. Great at U of C and solid with the Stamps when called on. This guy has tons of ball left in him for the right price. Always willing to just work hard and no complaining. Just like a Duane Ford type of guy.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Look for Winnipeg to ask him to take a pay cut so he can back up Andrew Harris.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Walter is a capable tailback for sure (CFL career 5.3 yds/carry average i believe).

Would be viewed as just good "depth" though by the typical GOB; maybe Huff cut him to clear some cap room? - not that Walter was making big CFL buck$, but had probably moved up quite a bit from CFL minimum in his few years with the Stamps? Huff might try to draft Timmis - quality RB from the Dinos; or maybe he hopes Tyler Varga shakes loose from the NFL (doubtful)?

Might make sense for the Bombers to pick him up - could work in tandem with Andrew Harris if they are thinking of going all NI at RB ?

Mookie - I doubt Gillanders gets a bigger role on offence with Ottawa - probably H-back or fullback = quite limited role; they had NI draft pick Lafrance on their roster last year (thought he looked pretty good in some ex, game action), but Lafrance was given no real work at tailback as they went thru Chev Walker (great speed but way too timid between the tackles - horrible career yds/carry average), then Jeremiah Johnson (OK but nothing special for sure) and then they found that new import back Powell who was impressive IMO.
    I agree with everything you said. I think Gillanders will have a tough time getting more than a limited role in Ottawa. That said, I hope we're both wrong.

As for Powell, I also think he was quite impressive. Personally I think if Ottawa had given him the ball more in the Grey Cup Game (especially in the second half), Ottawa may have won that game. The running game was working well for Ottawa but they went away from it. Who knows, it could have gotten even better as Edmonton's defence started to tire.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by eiben35 View Post
    Look for Winnipeg to ask him to take a pay cut so he can back up Andrew Harris.
    Perfect fit in Winnipeg for the depth behind Harris. I'm not sure who else is going Canadian at running back this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Perfect fit in Winnipeg for the depth behind Harris. I'm not sure who else is going Canadian at running back this year.

Stamps will probably play Messam some.

I'd guess that's about it.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Not sure I would pick up Walter now, I would wait and see how Dillon Campbell looks in camp. Much more upside with .campbell. And a lot cheaper.