Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Arizona Coyotes may be on the move

To the East Valley that is.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...lanc/81391544/

Personally I'd rather see the Coyotes, Suns and ASU come together, because if they occurs - along with the Suns potentially getting a new arena; the Phoenix metro area could have up to 4 NHL sized arenas.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sounds like we could get confirmation in Apirl.
    http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-b...le-most-likely

If I were the Coyotes and ASU; I'd build it in Scottsdale, between E Mckellips Rd, N McClintock Dr, Pima and Red Mountain Freeways (101 and 202). Not far off from campus and lots of land to develop mixed use buildings. https://www.google.ca/maps/@33.44260.../data=!3m1!1e3

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Call me skeptical, I find it ironic that 3 years ago the suvival of the team was 100% on the back of Glendale.

Two years later, council finds a legal way to break the lease, the team with no leverage accepting a 2 year deal with the right for the city to choose a new arena manager after 1. Now all of tglhe the sudden, there are 2-3 possible locations for a new arena?

The team says they will have something to announce by the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if one is made....to Vegas

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    April has come and gone and no arena announcement to date. Only real news if you want to call it that, is more of the Coyotes ad Glendale taking shots at each other through the media.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...glendale-2017/

During the presser with the new GM, the team now says, they will be shocked if there is no major announcement before the draft on June 24. Clock is ticking!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    ^ Yup and Glendale ain't to happy with the City of Phoenix either.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...tion/84190574/

The Mayor of Phoenix wants a new joint arena in Downtown Phoenix. If there's enough public money involved (which I'm not crazy about) and the Suns Owner can be content with sharing the arena - I think it'll happen. IMO it's the way to go - having three pro arenas in one region (if Coyotes build there own wit ASU) is not something I'm overly fond of. One arena with 82 guaranteed dates + plus concerts/events makes the most sense; as opposed to multiple arena fighting for events and everyone losing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The biggest issue with downtown is the Suns don't seem to be willing to partner with the Coyotes 50/50

http://arizonasports.com/story/63744...clude-coyotes/

Their lease runs for another 6 years before there's an opt out for a new building (they can kick-start the discussion in 2019). The Suns control the revenue streams from their current building. Not much of an incentive to end that contract early just to start sharing the revenues with the competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    The biggest issue with downtown is the Suns don't seem to be willing to partner with the Coyotes 50/50

http://arizonasports.com/story/63744...clude-coyotes/

Their lease runs for another 6 years before there's an opt out for a new building (they can kick-start the discussion in 2019). The Suns control the revenue streams from their current building. Not much of an incentive to end that contract early just to start sharing the revenues with the competition.
    Unless the Suns plan on building a new arena with their own money - I think they may have to learn to play nice eventually, but it all depends on what the City is willing to do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed, the Suns need be given an incentive to share the new digs. But yes it comes down to what the city wants (or can) do. Does the mayor have the support of the majority of council. Plus, I understand, any public funds towards a new arena needs to go to a public vote. Having 2 teams is the only way I see to sell it.

Then again, it depends on how much each team contributes and can the Coyotes match the Suns funding dollar for dollar? Yes, I'm still skeptical that it can be pulled off, but these Yotes have may lives!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Agreed, the Suns need be given an incentive to share the new digs. But yes it comes down to what the city wants (or can) do. Does the mayor have the support of the majority of council. Plus, I understand, any public funds towards a new arena needs to go to a public vote. Having 2 teams is the only way I see to sell it.

Then again, it depends on how much each team contributes and can the Coyotes match the Suns funding dollar for dollar? Yes, I'm still skeptical that it can be pulled off, but these Yotes have may lives!
    Too many if's for sure, but I agree having two (technically 3 with the Mercury) share a facility should be a much easier sell. I also recall reading that ASU may be interested in playing out of the Downtown arena as well - if true could be another big selling point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A new non-update as the Team was supposed to announce the arena plans before today's draft.

http://arizonasports.com/story/70972...for-new-arena/

LeBlanc claims, they have chosen an arena site but won't say who. Says 50/50 private/public partnership with at least 50% coming from the Coyotes. If public dollars are involved, that rules out the Salt River Tribe's site as rumoured.

Now says an announcement will come by the end of the summer.

Seems like Coyotes fans are getting strung along further.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Pretty sure it's going to be the old drive-in location.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/place/810...4d-111.9070816

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The thing with that location it's on a property owned by the Salt River Tribe. If they're saying a public private partnership, it would rule out that location since it's not on public lands. Plus who would put up public dollars (or private for that matter) to build a third major indoor arena in the region when there isn't enough acts to go around for 2?

I just don't get why the team is making announcements to make an announcement. Just get it done and over with.

Yes, I've been very skeptical about this new arena but we'll see what the next several weeks have in store.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The latest

John Shannon
    Verified account
    @JSportsnet
    2h2 hours ago

Hearing the Coyotes are close to announcing site for their proposed new arena. Could happen as early as this week.

Announcing a site is one thing. Having the funding in place.....a different kettle of fish....at least it's less than two weeks...lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The latest

Announcing a site is one thing. Having the funding in place.....a different kettle of fish....at least it's less than two weeks...lol
    I hope for the Coyotes sake that it's not the land near the Scottsdale Pavillions I read about a couple weeks ago. Best situation for the Coyotes to stay in Arizona IMO is to either try and get the City to push the Suns to share a new downtown location, or the old drive-in location in Scottsdale (not far off from ASU).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I hope for the Coyotes sake that it's not the land near the Scottsdale Pavillions I read about a couple weeks ago. Best situation for the Coyotes to stay in Arizona IMO is to either try and get the City to push the Suns to share a new downtown location, or the old drive-in location in Scottsdale (not far off from ASU).
    The Scottsdale Pavillion site is out. At least per my contact. The issue is negotiating the revenue split from the arena and having the Coyotes making enough $$$ off it to remain viable. Really the same problem they have in Glendale.

I have a feeling the site they're eyeing is ASU but that has a host of problems right off the back.

We'll see in 'two weeks' lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Location is good. 16K is ideal for this franchise.

The devil is always in the other detail$

The agreement provides for a period ending no later than June 30, 2017 to create the overall budget, design and operational plan for the development. The Coyotes will now focus on finalizing a partnership with other public sector constituents including the State and the City of Tempe
    We'll see if this is the end of the saga or are they punting the ball for 6-7 more months. The state was not receptive of a taxing district last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Good luck to them in either case. I wish the Suns owner would play nice and build a joint facility Downtown, then team up with ASU for practice facilities - beneficial to everyone IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So what will become of the Glendale arena? Is it just going to become a white elephant? Does Arizona seriously not have better things to spend its money on?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The arena in Glendale is still being managed by AEG. Though they will have the rights to renegotiate or drop the contract completely once the Coyotes leave. After that it will be a concert venue only.

Too so many in the media are taking parting shots at Glendale, as the city has saved the team from relocation 4 times.

As for this long awaited announcement. All it was, was announcing their excusive negotiations.

http://arizonasports.com/story/902840/coyotes/

Sources stressed the agreement that was announced on Monday is not to build an arena on the site, but instead it is basically an announcement that the two sides will now begin to talk about the process. But doesn’t this mean they have already been talking?

“What we needed to do was formalize an agreement that would allow us both to go talk to public scepter partners,” president and CEO of the Coyotes Anthony LeBlanc told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. “Obviously Arizona State University answers into the Arizona Board of Regents and they don’t like doing things that they haven’t fully briefed the Board of Regents and memorialized it in some fashion. Quite candidly, we’re a hockey team that has a group of owners, like Mr. Barroway; we like to do the same thing. So we really felt more comfortable having some parameters of what the final deal would look like if we got everything put together, and we have done that.”
    In other words, no new arena deal and the legislative session begins in less than 2 months.