Thread: Ufc/mma

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Ufc/mma

Even if you're morally opposed to MMA or the concept of two half-naked sweaty men/women murdering each other makes you feel confused and uncomfortable, you have to acknowledge the training and dedication top level fighters put into their work. Athleticism at its finest if you ask me.

This Saturday's card should be pretty entertaining. I have Hunt over Mir. Most likely going to miss it, however.

Some good cards coming up between now and July. Great time to watch UFC. Anyone else here into MMA?

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Used to watch ... until It turned Into hokey WWF-type crap.

Frank Mir is STILL fighting? He must be brain dead. Ha, ha.
    Last edited by Double Dare; 03-17-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Never been a fan. I have a problem with an almost unconscious person taking 2 or 3 extra blows before the ref can get in there and stop it. There is also something seriously wrong with a choke being a legal form of "sport".

Just my opinion.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Used to watch but got turned off. There's going to be way to many 30 something Jello Brains after short careers while making Dana White rich.
    Oh I do have to admit I watched the replay of that cocky chick getting her head kicked in. Then the woman that beat her lost in her first title defense.
    Plus this sport has created way too many young fools acting like MMA guys on the street.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Plus this sport has created way too many young fools acting like MMA guys on the street.
    You got that right...but then again, we are cranky old men.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Not really the sports fault. There are also plenty of mid life crisis sufferers in their 40's who up and take MMA. Not an age issue at all.

As for the jello brain issue, I think boxing is far worse for that because all it involves is people wailing on each other's heads and upper bodies exclusively. You can win or lose a MMA match and walk away from it without even so much as a medical suspension. I know that's not always the case but I believe the very nature of MMA leads people to believe that it's far more a danger than it actually is. The long term effects are mostly consistent with football, rugby and some hockey players.

I get that it's not for everybody and I respect that. What grinds my gears is people who push for a ban on MMA, as there are plenty of sports out there that are just as dangerous and arguably more life-threatening.

You have to respect GSP as an athlete though. Gladiator and a class act. Pure Canadian.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Never got into MMA/UFC.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Not really the sports fault. There are also plenty of mid life crisis sufferers in their 40's who up and take MMA. Not an age issue at all.

As for the jello brain issue, I think boxing is far worse for that because all it involves is people wailing on each other's heads and upper bodies exclusively. You can win or lose a MMA match and walk away from it without even so much as a medical suspension. I know that's not always the case but I believe the very nature of MMA leads people to believe that it's far more a danger than it actually is. The long term effects are mostly consistent with football, rugby and some hockey players.

I get that it's not for everybody and I respect that. What grinds my gears is people who push for a ban on MMA, as there are plenty of sports out there that are just as dangerous and arguably more life-threatening.

You have to respect GSP as an athlete though. Gladiator and a class act. Pure Canadian.
    The "jello brain" issue will rear its ugly head when many of these guys get older.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Used to watch but got turned off. There's going to be way to many 30 something Jello Brains after short careers while making Dana White rich.
    Oh I do have to admit I watched the replay of that cocky chick getting her head kicked in. Then the woman that beat her lost in her first title defense.
    Love the pot bellied "bad asses" that walk around wearing the scowl with their black TAPOUT t shirts on.....scary!!!
    Have to admit I just gave up wearing my sequin "Nature Boy" robe in public yelling Wooooooooooo, for some reason no one was intimidated???
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Have to admit I just gave up wearing my sequin "Nature Boy" robe in public yelling Wooooooooooo, for some reason no one was intimidated???
    You must not have had the proper 80's sunglasses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You must not have had the proper 80's sunglasses.
    I sat on them in the 90's.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The "jello brain" issue will rear its ugly head when many of these guys get older.
    You're talking like combat sport has only existed for ten years. Can you elaborate on who "many of these guys" are? Are you aware that a lot of fighters have side careers in teaching, engineering, politics, special forces, business management? Those are only ones I can name off the top of my head but the list goes on.

I also find it funny that if you're pot bellied and wear MMA gear, you're all of the sudden the target of ridicule. It's not like out of shape people wear football or hockey jerseys and if they do, they're probably all upstanding members of society and loving parents. Maybe all us pot-bellied Argo fans should think twice before we put on our gear? Wouldn't want anyone to think we're poser athletes, now would we?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    You're talking like combat sport has only existed for ten years. Can you elaborate on who "many of these guys" are? Are you aware that a lot of fighters have side careers in teaching, engineering, politics, special forces, business management? Those are only ones I can name off the top of my head but the list goes on.

I also find it funny that if you're pot bellied and wear MMA gear, you're all of the sudden the target of ridicule. It's not like out of shape people wear football or hockey jerseys and if they do, they're probably all upstanding members of society and loving parents. Maybe all us pot-bellied Argo fans should think twice before we put on our gear? Wouldn't want anyone to think we're poser athletes, now would we?
    Talking UFC in particular, you made the assumption that MMA poses less of a threat than boxing but time will tell.
    The MMA craze started within the last 15-20 years so many of these fighters aren't old enough to show symptoms as of yet.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I much prefer boxing over mma.....but then again i am a dinosaur
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I prefer boxing as well to seeing guys and gals take round house knockout kicks to the temple. That is jello brain in waiting. With all that we know about concussions now it surprises the hell out of me why anyone would get into the sport. I had one concussion in hockey from being run into the boards from behind as a 15 year old. No one knew squat about it then and I just dealt with the stars and headache while continuing to play and live life. It wasn't fun.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I prefer boxing as well to seeing guys and gals take round house knockout kicks to the temple. That is jello brain in waiting. With all that we know about concussions now it surprises the hell out of me why anyone would get into the sport. I had one concussion in hockey from being run into the boards from behind as a 15 year old. No one knew squat about it then and I just dealt with the stars and headache while continuing to play and live life. It wasn't fun.
    That explains EVERYTHING....hahahaha...just joking.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    hahaha. Hey it could. Don't mock the brain injured there must be a charity for that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Agree 100%, not sure how you could conclude Boxing is more damaging to the brain than MMA, both involve multiple blows to the head not only in the actual fights but also in sparring while getting ready for a fight.
    I also remember getting hit in hockey and seeing stars and playing the rest of the game and life went on.
    Those of us who watched Leaf games (particularly in the 1970's) would remember NHL players sniffing smelling salts on the bench to snap them back into reality, today would be treated with much more caution.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Agree 100%, not sure how you could conclude Boxing is more damaging to the brain than MMA, both involve multiple blows to the head not only in the actual fights but also in sparring while getting ready for a fight.
    I also remember getting hit in hockey and seeing stars and playing the rest of the game and life went on.
    Those of us who watched Leaf games (particularly in the 1970's) would remember NHL players sniffing smelling salts on the bench to snap them back into reality, today would be treated with much more caution.
    Started playing hockey in 1969, i remember my coach had smelling salts, and also a needle/tread and a ronson lighter to sterilize the needle. Got my hand stitched up once on the bench, and the "concusion protocol" was later that night, after the game just make sure your parents wake you up every half hour , no sleeping through the night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I prefer boxing as well to seeing guys and gals take round house knockout kicks to the temple. That is jello brain in waiting. With all that we know about concussions now it surprises the hell out of me why anyone would get into the sport.
    May I remind you that you are a fan of football?!