Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Cool A bit worried by new leadership

Just wondering if anyone is worried about the lack of direction from Michael Copeland and company. He has been on the job for at least 7 months now. We still don't know where training camp is going to be, seasons ticket sales are doubled but not over 10,000 which I thought they would be. The team doesn't have a reliable back-up qb nor a full coaching staff.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by eiben35 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is worried about the lack of direction from Michael Copeland and company. He has been on the job for at least 7 months now. We still don't know where training camp is going to be, seasons ticket sales are doubled but not over 10,000 which I thought they would be. The team doesn't have a reliable back-up qb nor a full coaching staff.
    I am not worried about Michael and his team. They are all highly qualified people with a ton of football experience at the CFL under Mark Cohon. What I worry about is the ownership commitment level to see the Argos regain their rightful place in Toronto's sporting landscape. I "hope" the commitment is there to pin their ears back and go after the marketplace to make the team relevant again and continue to own the team for many, many years with equal attention spent both onfield and offield - something that hasn't happened since 1991, and that only lasted for 2 years. For example Bell/TSN can choose to help make the Argos relevant again by improving how they cover the team and league in Toronto on all of their platforms. So far they have not chosen to do this yet, and that concerns me but I hold out "hope" they have a plan for this in time for the season. To me this only makes sense because it protects their investment in the team and league. The only reason IMO that they would choose not to do this is because there may be a hidden agenda not to have the Argos become too popular again so that leaves the door open for the NFL down the road. I really worry about that, and to me that would limit our new owners true passion and commitment to the team.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I am not worried about Michael and his team. They are all highly qualified people with a ton of football experience at the CFL under Mark Cohon. What I worry about is the ownership commitment level to see the Argos regain their rightful place in Toronto's sporting landscape. I "hope" the commitment is there to pin their ears back and go after the marketplace to make the team relevant again and continue to own the team for many, many years with equal attention spent both onfield and offield - something that hasn't happened since 1991, and that only lasted for 2 years. For example Bell/TSN can choose to help make the Argos relevant again by improving how they cover the team and league in Toronto on all of their platforms. So far they have not chosen to do this yet, and that concerns me but I hold out "hope" they have a plan for this in time for the season. To me this only makes sense because it protects their investment in the team and league. The only reason IMO that they would choose not to do this is because there may be a hidden agenda not to have the Argos become too popular again so that leaves the door open for the NFL down the road. I really worry about that, and to me that would limit our new owners true passion and commitment to the team.

I worry about the same scenario - hopefully it's worry for nothing though.

Anyhow: getting closer to the CFL draft, TC time = time for the CFL and the Argos to start marketing, hyping, etc. - and especially with ALL Canadian teams out of the NHL play-offs now. Time to get crackin' - what are they waiting for ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I also have the concern in the back of my mind. However, considering the position the Argos were in before Braley sold them, I have decided to focus on the now, especially since I cannot change whatever is coming down the line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have no doubt team does have a full coaching staff in place. Why can't they introduce them is baffling.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    yeah we're in an amazing spot compared to last year. regardless of how they achieve it, if we consistently have 24-25k paying customers game in game out at an outdoor field? you'd think it was a pie in the sky fantasy a year or two ago. it's not anymore, enjoy for what it is and hopefully will be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    yeah we're in an amazing spot compared to last year. regardless of how they achieve it, if we consistently have 24-25k paying customers game in game out at an outdoor field? you'd think it was a pie in the sky fantasy a year or two ago. it's not anymore, enjoy for what it is and hopefully will be.
    I have no comfort level yet on this being the case. I will believe it when I see it. We may have half that number in season tickets sold "maybe". Right now that requires another 10-15K in flex packs and single game purchases to get there. I do expect some sellouts, but I hope you are right about getting 25,000 per game. I will celebrate that when it happens game in and game out.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    sure but what would make you comfortable? some sort of announcement as such? my opinion solely but i don't see the value in announcing anything until closer to the start of training camp / the season. the diehards are buying (whatever is left) and excitement can be generated again once the stadium is ready to go and the roof is in place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't want a ticket sales announcement unless it is to say we have reached our goal of 20,000 season seats sold. My discussion on this thread was on the leadership/management and the ownership. I believe the management team is strong, and I have worries/insecurities about ownership regarding their full, 100% commitment to making the Argos what they should be in Toronto. Nothing has happened to justify my concerns yet, it is just a worry, and my hope everything will work out like everyone else at Argofans.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    No concerns at all. Zero. Nada. Zip.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    "not to have the Argos become too popular again so that leaves the door open for the NFL down the road."

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa Bwahahaha Haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa hahhaa
    haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaa haaaa haaa haa ha ok, i'm better now

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    "not to have the Argos become too popular again so that leaves the door open for the NFL down the road."

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa Bwahahaha Haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa hahhaa
    haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaa haaaa haaa haa ha ok, i'm better now

Another conspiracy theory ?- those are fun.

NEVER underestimate the desire and fondness of confirmed NFL wannabes in their quest to have a "world class" NFL team for Toronnawannabe land. ;o)

Not that anybody in the new Argo owner/ management team ever had those kind of thoughts; nah - out of the question. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Another conspiracy theory ?- those are fun.

NEVER underestimate the desire and fondness of confirmed NFL wannabes in their quest to have a "world class" NFL team for Toronnawannabe land. ;o)

Not that anybody in the new Argo owner/ management team ever had those kind of thoughts; nah - out of the question. ;o)
    I don't underestimate the desire and wannabes for the quest for an NFL team. But what I don't understand is this conspiracy theory that somehow requires an entity to buy the Argos and drive them into the ground to get the NFL here. Its an unnecessary step to obtaining an NFL team. First the Argos have already been driven into the ground. Why buy them, to finish the job? I'm pretty sure if Tannenbell didn't buy them the job would have been finished on its own. Second, if the NFL wants a team in Toronto, the NFL will get a team in Toronto. The multi-multi billion dollar NFL will get what it wants, and there IS enough will in Toronto to get the NFL what it wants, and the Argos don't factor into this equation. Sure there will be gnawing and gashing that the NFL pushed the Argos out of town, but after a couple of years, it will be business as usual, and Toronto fans will be fawning over the new NFL team, like they do the Jays, Leafs and Raptors. Argos? "Sure, the Argos were quaint, but now we are big time!" No, the Argos and the CFL don't stand in the way of the NFL in Toronto. The NFL stands in the way of the NFL in Canada. There's no financial reason for it, so it doesn't happen. Therefore, Tannenbell didn't buy the Argos to drive them in the ground. They bought them to support their television property rights to the 2nd most popular property in Canada. Are they doing it right so far? I think we'll unfortunately have to wait and see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I chalk up Tannenbaum`s change of heart towards the Argos to one thing. With Dick Peddie no longer making recommendations on behalf of MLSE, he was no longer being told over and over again that you can`t have success owning a CFL team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    No, the Argos and the CFL don't stand in the way of the NFL in Toronto. The NFL stands in the way of the NFL in Canada. There's no financial reason for it, so it doesn't happen.
    I don't think it's quite so simple. The NFL very much wants the CFL to survive. The CFL is the NFL's longest-lasting and best protection against U.S. anti-trust legislation. It also likes the player development aspects. They also know that an NFL team in Toronto would kill the CFL. Goodell usually speaks positively about the CFL whenever he ever graces it with a mention.

The survival of the CFL is not the main issue keeping the NFL away, but it is definitely a consideration for them.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't think it's quite so simple. The NFL very much wants the CFL to survive. The CFL is the NFL's longest-lasting and best protection against U.S. anti-trust legislation. It also likes the player development aspects. They also know that an NFL team in Toronto would kill the CFL. Goodell usually speaks positively about the CFL whenever he ever graces it with a mention.

The survival of the CFL is not the main issue keeping the NFL away, but it is definitely a consideration for them.
    Excellent point. And remember the NFL lent the CFL millions in the 90s when the league was in its darkest hour. Why do that if you are planning a Toronto team down the road? The nfl wants a strong cfl for all the points you mentioned above.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Even if someday the NFL did come to Toronto. The Argos and TFC would still be sharing BMO field for their games. The Argos are set no matter what.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Even if someday the NFL did come to Toronto. The Argos and TFC would still be sharing BMO field for their games. The Argos are set no matter what.
    They still need committed ownership and decent crowds to be considered set.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I chalk up Tannenbaum`s change of heart towards the Argos to one thing. With Dick Peddie no longer making recommendations on behalf of MLSE, he was no longer being told over and over again that you can`t have success owning a CFL team.
    Yes go figure, this two faced Peddie was an Argo president what in the 90's.