Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I will not get pulled into the vortex. I will not get pulled into the vortex.
    I'll take action on that.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'll take action on that.
    It's getting hard not to. lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    It's getting hard not to. lol
    must resist, stomachs churning, bowels clenching....
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    So, some money grubbing suits have "presumably determined" the GC doesn't rate being on the main network eh? - just a plain & simple objective financial decision is it? OK then.

Yes, that is exactly what it is. If they made a decision that reduced their revenue, they would be in line for termination. That's how business works, accept it or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what it is. If they made a decision that reduced their revenue, they would be in line for termination. That's how business works, accept it or not.

SO - you seem to be totally discounting the notion that media types here have little to no respect for the CFL and that could affect their decision making on the matter. You want me to accept that? - sorry, no can do. Exactly, my ar$e.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    It obviously makes financial sense to them. Aren't you supposed to be a right-wing capitalist guy?

SO - it makes "financial sense" for "them" to have The Masters or the Super Bowl shown on the main network, when it is readily available on other channels anyways, but it makes zero financial sense for them to do the same with the GC - the sporting event that has been close to or the highest rated sports TV event in the country in the past (The Masters is not even close - not remotely) ? OK then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    SO - you seem to be totally discounting the notion that media types here have little to no respect for the CFL and that could affect their decision making on the matter. You want me to accept that? - sorry, no can do. Exactly, my ar$e.
    Precisely. The wannabe media which also includes the ad executives and various sports heads clearly has no affection for our game.

SO - it makes "financial sense" for "them" to have The Masters or the Super Bowl shown on the main network, when it is readily available on other channels anyways, but it makes zero financial sense for them to do the same with the GC? OK then.
    Exactly, let's have the Masters simulcast on 3 channels over the weekend and that's not overkill while hold on the CFL is fine on just the TSN during the playoffs and GC.
    I have some land in the Everglades for those here that espouse such crap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    SO - it makes "financial sense" for "them" to have The Masters or the Super Bowl shown on the main network, when it is readily available on other channels anyways, but it makes zero financial sense for them to do the same with the GC - the sporting event that has been close to or the highest rated sports TV event in the country in the past (The Masters is not even close - not remotely) ? OK then.
    It might be some overkill, but it's practically free programming since, as an afternoon/early evening show, the Masters doesn't cut into CTV Sunday prime time shows, and CTV/TSN pay nothing in production costs. There is also no new programming opposite the Super Bowl, so CTV loses nothing by airing it.

We could always copy England, where legislation requires the FA Cup final to be on over-the-air TV. Or we could appeal to CTV's sense of patriotism, if any can be found.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Or we could appeal to CTV's sense of patriotism, if any can be found.
    Yeah, good luck with that. They have never felt any obligation (for whatever reason) to promote long term, quality Canadian television production.

If you're into media history like I am, this is an interesting read CTV The Network That Means Business

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The problem with these conspiracy theories is that they require all kinds of people to be in on the conspiracy, including shareholders and securities regulators. CTV is a publicly traded company and accordingly its managers are obligated to maximize shareholder value. If they are reducing profits to shareholders because they lack respect for the CFL, then they are running afoul of securities law. Oh well, it's a nice theory that conveniently fits a particular mindset.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe in capitalism. But I don't believe all business decisions made are ideal or the right ones. Otherwise there would be no corruption and more than 7 out of 10 startups would not fail. 20 years or more ago TSN took a risk by creating Friday night football. It rejuvenated the CFL brand. That was a good business decision but at the time it was a financial risk. It paid off. The CFL brand could move to the next level with the right people and decision makers championing it. But I don't see that being done at present.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    The problem with these conspiracy theories is that they require all kinds of people to be in on the conspiracy, including shareholders and securities regulators. CTV is a publicly traded company and accordingly its managers are obligated to maximize shareholder value. If they are reducing profits to shareholders because they lack respect for the CFL, then they are running afoul of securities law. Oh well, it's a nice theory that conveniently fits a particular mindset.
    I don't believe in conspiracy theories per se, I'm a BIG Kennedy Assassination buff (Oswald did it) but that's not to say I don't believe in benign conspiracies, of the CYA type.

I look at how Bell sees Canadian product as a necessary evil, the cost of doing business. I could go all Spiro Agnew here and go on about a small elite, cabal of influential types in a certain geographical area who think there is no value in Canadian product and that it can't be immensely popular. Things like Corner Gas are an anomaly, we'll give the CFL enough to put on a broadcast but will we put out a few more bucks to add a few more cameras and graphic suites to make the quality a little closer to the NFL, naaaah.

As much as some of these American wannabe (living in the 80s) bubble types don't want to believe, but Canadians want to see Canadians. And the very best example of that (aside from the Olympics) are these NHL playoffs. Ratings have died without the Canadian rooting interest.

I can't believe the biggest area for growth, Canadian college sports hasn't been exploited. Take the top five teams in the country in basketball and hockey and start touring American schools. Of course the people whom you want to deliver the point will deny any positive results with the usual excuses "Oh, Michigan didn't play any starters or BU played their B team" but it would still be a very interesting TV property to renew and jumpstart an interest in Canadian college sports whose top teams would be competitive with NCAA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Or we could appeal to CTV's sense of patriotism, if any can be found.
    Certainly! They have always spent a lot of money on fine Canadian shows and never complained about having to do it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I don't believe in conspiracy theories per se, I'm a BIG Kennedy Assassination buff (Oswald did it) but that's not to say I don't believe in benign conspiracies, of the CYA type.

I look at how Bell sees Canadian product as a necessary evil, the cost of doing business. I could go all Spiro Agnew here and go on about a small elite, cabal of influential types in a certain geographical area who think there is no value in Canadian product and that it can't be immensely popular. Things like Corner Gas are an anomaly, we'll give the CFL enough to put on a broadcast but will we put out a few more bucks to add a few more cameras and graphic suites to make the quality a little closer to the NFL, naaaah.

As much as some of these American wannabe (living in the 80s) bubble types don't want to believe, but Canadians want to see Canadians. And the very best example of that (aside from the Olympics) are these NHL playoffs. Ratings have died without the Canadian rooting interest.

I can't believe the biggest area for growth, Canadian college sports hasn't been exploited. Take the top five teams in the country in basketball and hockey and start touring American schools. Of course the people whom you want to deliver the point will deny any positive results with the usual excuses "Oh, Michigan didn't play any starters or BU played their B team" but it would still be a very interesting TV property to renew and jumpstart an interest in Canadian college sports whose top teams would be competitive with NCAA.

Just FYI - the Carelton Ravens (men's CIS basketball powerhouse), have played some exhibition games against some NCAA teams (including some highly ranked ones) in the past few years, and won a bunch of those games, including some convincing wins, and against starters.

I don't think it would take playing against NCAA teams to promote Canadian college sports (though it might help) - just give it more exposure and fans of those sports would be won over. The lack of TV coverage for a lot of CIS football is appalling IMO - a historic Canadian sport that is a good, entertaining product (IMO), but the a$$-hat suits at CTV or CBC or TSN, or SportsNet, etc. have no interest in it I guess. The same wannabe dorks that will fawn all over pretty well anything American when they get the chance.

As far as JFK - I've read quite a bit on that (way back mind you), and if the facts/truth were to be known, I'd place big money on a bet that Oswald did not act alone, and maybe was just a "patsy" as he said - no way IMO he was that kind of marksman with that POS rifle to pull those shots off alone. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Again, I think way too much concern is going into this topic. If the league is satisfied (and judging by the long term renewal, they are), who are we to argue?

ENOUGH OF THE WHINING!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Who said anything about "conspiracy" ??? And what is with you types who feel need to trot out the "what conspiracy" card to try to discredit and opposing view or opinion ???

Did anyone here suggest a bunch of media big-wig suits were holding clandestine meetings to figure out ways to shaft or ignore the CFL ? Sorry- it's nothing so nefarious - it just some money grubbing wannabes who share an ingrained belief that something that is purely or even mostly Canadian is somehow inferior or not worth their attention for the most part, and this thinking can influence their business decisions at times. If you want to believe it's all just simple and objective maximizing of profits that is the only thing at play there, feel free to do so / good for you. - Mr GullLeBull.

"Conspiracy theory" eh - that same Shite gets trotted out almost every single time / like clockwork - when the subject of Canadian QBs not often getting CFL real looks or respect is brought up. The defenders of the gob faith always bleat "what conspiracy" when they are unable to discuss specifics on the matter or want to make a topic they are uncomfortable with go away. No conspiracies involved in that matter either; just deeply ingrained ignorance, bias & myopia. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Things like Corner Gas are an anomaly, we'll give the CFL enough to put on a broadcast but will we put out a few more bucks to add a few more cameras and graphic suites to make the quality a little closer to the NFL, naaaah.
    I actually agree CTV/TSN could and in fact should spend more on the quality of the CFL broadcasts, and could do so as part of the normal cost of doing business. That's way different, though, than forgoing revenue, which is what would happen IMO if they placed the Grey Cup or playoffs on CTV.

As much as some of these American wannabe (living in the 80s) bubble types don't want to believe, but Canadians want to see Canadians. And the very best example of that (aside from the Olympics) are these NHL playoffs. Ratings have died without the Canadian rooting interest.[
    Well, the playoffs haven't actually started so this ratings decline hasn't happened yet. But undoubtedly it will.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Just FYI - the Carelton Ravens (men's CIS basketball powerhouse), have played some exhibition games against some NCAA teams (including some highly ranked ones) in the past few years, and won a bunch of those games, including some convincing wins, and against starters.

I don't think it would take playing against NCAA teams to promote Canadian college sports (though it might help) - just give it more exposure and fans of those sports would be won over. The lack of TV coverage for a lot of CIS football is appalling IMO - a historic Canadian sport that is a good, entertaining product (IMO), but the a$$-hat suits at CTV or CBC or TSN, or SportsNet, etc. have no interest in it I guess. The same wannabe dorks that will fawn all over pretty well anything American when they get the chance.

As far as JFK - I've read quite a bit on that (way back mind you), and if the facts/truth were to be known, I'd place big money on a bet that Oswald did not act alone, and maybe was just a "patsy" as he said - no way IMO he was that kind of marksman with that POS rifle to pull those shots off alone. ;o)
    Carleton went into OT with the number one ranked Syracuse and beat Wisconsin who were one point away from the March Madness final in 2014.

As for the last part, there was nothing wrong with the rifle (slightly misaligned scope, possibly by the rifle being dropped when he fled) or Oswald's shooting ability. He likely would have used the iron sights on his rifle (faster). I'll try and find it but there is a hilarious article about him being the "unluckiest man in America" pointing out all the things that would have had to have happened for him to be a patsy. The easiest way to start being an assassination buff is to read Vincent Bugliosi's book and move on from there. He disproves every assassination conspiracy theory one by one. It took him 20 years to write. After all the ridiculous theories have been removed then one can concentrate on more plausible things that could have happened.

And if you're interested in first hand news, this is the greatest collection of JFK assassination videos out there. I waited years to see the ABC TV coverage

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Who said anything about "conspiracy" ??? And what is with you types who feel need to trot out the "what conspiracy" card to try to discredit and opposing view or opinion ???

Did anyone here suggest a bunch of media big-wig suits were holding clandestine meetings to figure out ways to shaft or ignore the CFL ? Sorry- it's nothing so nefarious - it just some money grubbing wannabes who share an ingrained belief that something that is purely or even mostly Canadian is somehow inferior or not worth their attention for the most part, and this thinking can influence their business decisions at times. If you want to believe it's all just simple and objective maximizing of profits that is the only thing at play there, feel free to do so / good for you. - Mr GullLeBull.

"Conspiracy theory" eh - that same Shite gets trotted out almost every single time / like clockwork - when the subject of Canadian QBs not often getting CFL real looks or respect is brought up. The defenders of the gob faith always bleat "what conspiracy" when they are unable to discuss specifics on the matter or want to make a topic they are uncomfortable with go away. No conspiracies involved in that matter either; just deeply ingrained ignorance, bias & myopia. ;o)

Bang on again OV.
    The same cast and crew here trying to shut down debate when it's not their brand or flavour.
    Who knows, likely the ones that are part of the wannabe mass here in the city who periodically provide lip service in favour of our CFL and our disappearing traditions?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Bang on again OV.
    The same cast and crew here trying to shut down debate when it's not their brand or flavour.
    Who knows, likely the ones that are part of the wannabe mass here in the city who periodically provide lip service in favour of our CFL and our disappearing traditions?

Settle down - we're all big Argo fans here - far as I can tell.