Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's more on why Reed was fired

There were a combination of factors but the fact remains any potential new ownership group wanted Kavis Reed dealt with prior to taking over the Alouettes.

It was a planned move whether Montreal won in Ottawa or not — the next day, Sunday, July 14, Reed was going to be removed as general manager. CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie grew tired of Reed’s antics which clinched the decision. The league had to force Reed to release celebrity quarterback Johnny Manziel. Even after the move was made Reed said if it was up to him he would have kept Manziel on the roster. That was the first sign publicly Ambrosie and Reed were at odds. When the league took over operations of the Alouettes franchise, which had been going on well before it was officially announced, the fate of Reed was sealed. Ambrosie and the board of governors wanted a person to keep their head down and run the team the way they saw fit in order to make it more appealing for prospective owners.

As far back as last November, the Als were looking for general manager replacements, which continued into the new year. Multiple candidates were pursued since the calendar turned to 2019. The idea was to bring in a placeholder GM for the year, be it before the season or just to finish the schedule. The league wanted a puppet it could control until the sale went through — no autonomy, no job security.

Prospective owners are doing their due diligence on the Alouettes and checking the financial situation. The one-year sitting duck would have had strict transaction and budget limits when it came to the roster. Ultimately, Montreal — and its current owner, the league — elected to go with a collaboration of assistant general manager Joe Mack, head coach Khari Jones and director of football operations Patrick Donovan. That crew is expected to follow the same budgetary guidelines.

Despite the fact Reed is owed his salary for the rest of the season, the move went ahead due in part to him reportedly costing the team money in other ways. Reed was hired in December 2016 after the Als let Jim Popp go. Montreal compiled a 10-30 win-loss record during the two-plus seasons Reed called the shots, the worst record among any franchise in the league over that span.

Originally, Reed was the main target by the league — Mike Sherman was supposed to be left alone and finish the season. But the plans changed quickly when it became clear the franchise wasn’t as attractive with Sherman as head coach. And according to sources, Reed was not made aware of Sherman’s firing until it was finalized. Indicative of how the Alouettes are currently being run.

“The team is sold and the league is doing what they’re being told,” one source said.
    https://3downnation.com/2019/07/16/t...on-for-months/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    National WR Felix Faubert-Lussier is back with the Als two weeks after he was let go because the coaches did not agree with former GM Kavis Reed's decision to let him go.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Stu Cowan: Lenkov hopes to bring a bit of Hollywood to Alouettes
    Chomedey native Peter Lenkov, known as the producer/writer behind the remake of the Hawaii Five-O TV series, would want to make games more of an event as a Alouettes team owner.
    Stu Cowan, Montreal Gazette July 21, 2019

Two of Peter Lenkov’s favourite memories as a kid growing up in Chomedey, Laval, involved the Hawaii Five-O television series and the Montreal Alouettes.

Both memories also involved his father, Abe.

Lenkov grew up to become a very successful Hollywood producer/writer and is the man behind the remake of the Hawaii Five-O TV series, which started in 2010 and has been renewed by CBS for a 10th season. Lenkov, 55, has also been behind other hit TV series, including 24, CSI: New York, MacGyver and the remake of Magnum P.I.

If things work out the way he hopes, Lenkov and his brother Jeffrey, who is a lawyer based in Los Angeles, could soon become the new owners of the Alouettes. The brothers and their potential ownership group have been negotiating exclusively with the CFL to purchase the Alouettes. The brothers were in attendance for Saturday’s 20-10 win over the Edmonton Eskimos in front of 16,137 fans at sweltering Molson Stadium.

Lenkov said he would like to help turn Alouettes home games into “an event,” offering more to fans than just the game itself. After missing the playoffs in each of the last four seasons, the Alouettes are in the process of writing their own Hollywood comeback story with three straight wins and it appears the sale of the team is close. “I think we will see it get done,” CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said Friday night on TSN.

“We’re not doing this to make money,” Lenkov said. “There’s so many other things to do to make money. We’re doing it as a passion project.”

The Lenkov family had quite a large contingent at the game but Abe, who is now in his late 80s and lives in Florida, remained in the air-conditioned comfort of his Montreal hotel to watch on TV. Lenkov’s mother, Ellen, passed away last October in Florida at age 81. A memorial was held for her earlier Saturday in Montreal.

“When I went to an Alouettes game with my father, I remember eating junk food, watching the game, learning about the game through him,” Lenkov said shortly after Saturday’s kickoff. “Not that he was any expert, by any means, but he taught us the game and I have the same experience now with my sons. My best memory about the Alouettes is going with my dad and learning about the game and learning to love it.

“Everything that I do, everything that I write has a father-son component to it because I had very special memories with my father,” Lenkov added. “When we got to do something like go to a game together, those are moments I try to recreate the father-son experience. On Five-O, it’s all about a son losing his father. Every show I do is always that father-son component.”

The original Hawaii Five-O, which aired from 1968-80, was Abe’s favourite TV show.

“When I was a kid I sat by my dad’s knee watching Hawaii Five-O,” Lenkov recalled. “I remember him loving that show, especially in the dead of winter to escape to go to Hawaii once a week — that was a big deal. So that’s the reason I wanted to do that show. It was because of him. I wanted to do Magnum because that was my favourite show.”

Lenkov now splits his time between Los Angeles and Hawaii.

When his brother first called him about the possibility of purchasing the Alouettes, Lenkov thought he might be joking because it seemed too good to be true, saying: “It was something that couldn’t be real because that would be a dream to be able to own a team we used to follow as kids.”
    Lenkov knew as a kid he wanted to be a writer and said he has been in the entertainment business since he was the class clown at Western Laval High School. He said his passion for writing and storytelling comes from his mother. His father wanted him to become a lawyer, and Lenkov briefly went to McGill University but said he was a lousy student. He later studied film at Concordia before going to Hollywood and becoming a success story. There is now a Peter Lenkov Award for Script Writing at Concordia.

“I miss everything about Montreal,” Lenkov said. “The food, the city, friends, and I have some family left here. The other day I got up early and met a friend for coffee and we walked the whole city. I miss stuff like that. You don’t get to do that in L.A. You don’t walk the city in L.A. … you don’t walk anywhere in L.A. I just miss the diversity, I miss the people, I miss the food. I’ve been eating non-stop since I got here.

“I teach at Concordia sometimes … I do the scholarship there. I come back for certain things. I’ve been trying to get back to Montreal forever, to have a reason to come back. So if this works out, it’s a good reason to come back.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Montreal's trick play against Edmonton in which WR Eugene Lewis passed to QB Vernon Adams for a TD was only added to the playbook this week and had not even worked in practice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als have released KR Marcus Taylor and signed KR Shakeir Ryan.

Ryan (5’8″, 169 lbs.) played two CFL games in 2018 with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the BC Lions. He gained 39 yards on punt returns and gained 308 yards on kickoff returns, adding one touchdown. In 2017, he spent time on the Washington Redskins’ practice roster and with the L.A. Rams’ organization.

The 23-year-old Lafayette, La. native, played for the Northwestern State University Demons. In his last year, he earned 111 yards on punt returns in a single game. In the spring of 2016, he caught four passes for 51 yards in the Delaney Bowl. Ryan finished his college career second all-time at NSU with 140 career receptions. He was also part of the track and field team, participating in the 100 meter dash and 4×100 relay.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/24/alouet...-shakeir-ryan/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is a growing confidence have a growing confidence that they could finish first, although the players are diplomatic in what they say. Quite a change in attitude.

Is it possible a team without an owner, general manager and one that lost its first two games this season suddenly has become the favourite to win the East Division?
    Many media members are now anointing the Alouettes — winners of three consecutive games — as the best team in the division, especially now that Hamilton starting quarterback Jeremiah Masoli will miss the rest of the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. ...

“We beat Hamilton once already. We beat them when they were at their best,” veteran cornerback Tommie Campbell said. “We have to take care of Ottawa first. We’ll worry about all that other stuff later on, down the line. I’m confident in this team,” he added. “They beat us the first game, we beat them the second. We have to figure out who’s going to win the third (Oct. 26). Hamilton’s not our concern right now; Ottawa is.”

Adams is loath to suggest the Als suddenly have assumed control of the division. “We’ll have to find out and keep winning,” he said. “Keep playing our game.”
    https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...unt-in-the-cfl

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als have released former Argo Canadian QB Brandon Bridge and activated Antonio Pipkin.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Lenkov brothers no longer in the running to own the Alouettes: report
    3Down Staff 3downnation August 1, 2019

The Lenkov brothers exclusive negotiating window with the CFL in regards to purchasing the Montreal Alouettes has apparently ended.

Peter is a 55-year-old writer and producer. He studied film at Concordia University in Montreal. Jeffrey, who is 53 years old, is a lawyer based in California. The younger brother went to McGill University.

The CFL officially purchased the Alouettes from the Wetenhall’s in late May. The league and Wetenhall family had been working for several months to identify and assess potential new owners and that process is ongoing with Randy Ambrosie leading the way.

The Lenkov brothers were in Edmonton for the Als’ Week 1 game versus the Eskimos and travelled to Montreal for their Week 6 win. Jeffrey was congratulating players in the locker room after the game.

The Lenkov’s were being courted by Ambrosie, but he’ll have to find new possible owners now.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Another potential twist rears its head in Alouettes' ownership saga
    Negotiations with the Lenkov brothers have stalled and CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie will meet with Éric Lapointe on Friday, sources say.
    Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette August 2, 2019

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie will be in Montreal on Friday. And while he’ll attend that night’s game between the Alouettes and Ottawa Redblacks, he’s also expected to meet Éric Lapointe during the afternoon.

And that puts another potential twist into the ongoing sale of the Als — a saga that now has dragged on for more than two months with numerous interested parties, including Clifford Starke and Vince Guzzo, withdrawing from the exercise.

Brothers Jeffrey and Peter Lenkov, who are originally from Chomedey but now live in Los Angeles, have been the latest suitors, having attending two of the Als’ five games. When they were at Molson Stadium on July 20, they acted as though they owned the team. And Ambrosie has said he believed the deal would get done.

But a source told the Montreal Gazette those negotiations hit a snag. Not only is the brothers’ exclusive negotiating window ending, it’s uncertain whether they’ll be in attendance Friday night. Earlier this week, Jeffrey Lenkov told the Gazette he couldn’t comment on negotiations, but remained “very interested” in the team’s purchase.

Jeffrey Lenkov didn’t respond to phone and text messages from the Gazette, nor did he answer an email.

While it’s possible Ambrosie could be coming to Montreal in an attempt to convince Lapointe to work with the brothers, the former Als’ running-back, now a financial adviser, has no interest in joining forces with them. Indeed, Ambrosie would be wasting his time and valuable resources.

But Lapointe, a Brossard native and former president of the Als’ alumni, has never hidden his desire to own the team for which he played, and is known to have a deep and talented group of investors with whom he’s aligned. But it appears he and the commissioner, whenever they’ve spoken, somehow have crossed their lines, their exchanges misconstrued.

Ambrosie, as is his style, refused to comment on any potential Lapointe meeting. Nor would he discuss anything about the Lenkov brothers.

“I have maintained a relationship with Éric throughout this process and I hope to enjoy the benefits of Éric’s friendship for many years to come,” Ambrosie said in a text.

Should Ambrosie now have to double back and approach Lapointe to save face, the former player undoubtedly will demand an exclusive negotiation window — perhaps as long as one month — to keep other potential suitors at bay.

Lapointe recently told the Gazette the CFL was demanding a minimum $25-million in trust from any potential ownership group. Lapointe indicated there was no financial limit to access money.

The CFL announced on May 31 that Robert and Andrew Wetenhall, who owned the Als for more than 20 years, were divesting — although the family had been seeking a new ownership group for several months. The team lost more than $12 million last season alone.

Despite the lack of ownership and numerous other off-field issues — both head coach Mike Sherman and general manager Kavis Reed were fired — Montreal has won its last three games, after opening the season with two losses, and sits second in the East Division.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Naylor: Lenkovs are not out of the Als' picture
    Montreal 690 Aug 2, 2019

TSN CFL insider Dave Naylor joined Mitch Gallo to talk about the latest rumours surrounding the potential sale of the Alouettes.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Éric Lapointe clinging to his desire to purchase the Alouettes
    Although the Lenkov brothers appear to have the inside track, former tailback wants to meet the commissioner and the CFL's board of governors.
    Herb Zurkowsky Montreal Gazette July 22, 2019

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC Khari Jones says Vernon Adams suffered a "minor concussion" in the Ottawa game. Unfortunately, concussions are not minor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Alouettes have signed Canadian LB Frederic Plesius, who played for the Tiger Cats for four years, before playing six games for the Bombers last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    What an awesome finish to the Als game in Calgary last night. I know it puts the Argos into a deeper hole, but I am happy Montreal won that game. Seeing Dave Dickenson whine was great too. What is it with head coaches in that yellow vest wearing province anyway?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL commissioner Ambrosie feels league is close to resolving Alouettes situation
    Dan Ralph The Canadian Press August 30 2019

TORONTO — It remains the CFL's most contentious issue, but commissioner Randy Ambrosie feels the league is close to resolving the Montreal Alouettes' ownership situation.

The CFL took over the franchise from American businessman Robert Wetenhall on May 31. Wetenhall and the league spent months looking for a new owner before the move and the process has continued since.

Many potential owners have been mentioned.

Former Alouettes player Eric Lapointe stated often he could assemble an ownership group if approached but questions exist whether he was ever contacted. Montreal businessman Clifford Starke publicly stated his intention to buy the club — he even amended his original offer then added Lapointe to his group — but ultimately withdrew the proposal.

Montreal entrepreneur Vince Guzzo was reportedly interested but put that on hold. Then came word the league was negotiating with Montreal natives Peter and Jeff Lenkov, with the California-based brothers even attending two Alouettes games.

Yet a "For Sale" sign remains on the franchise. In a wide-ranging interview, Ambrosie said the league is negotiating with three potential ownership groups — again Ambrosie didn't provide specifics — and remains hopeful a resolution can be reached soon.

"I've tried to stay away from (specific timeline for sale) just because I don't want to end up disappointing people," Ambrosie said. "Look, we're about to start September and you'd kind of hope by the time the month of September is done we'd have this resolved.

"I'm optimistic we can hit that deadline and that's what we're working towards. But what I love about the board of governors is they're encouraging me to get it right, not to get it fast . . . so I feel encouraged that I'm not dealing with an artificial time pressure but only with the pressure to make sure the group I bring to the table to recommend as owner is the right one."

Montreal's ownership situation isn't the only challenge the CFL has faced as it approaches the Labour Day weekend, the unofficial midway point of the regular season. Others include:

— The B.C. Lions also being for sale.

— The CFL's average attendance being under 23,000 per game, with Toronto, B.C., and Montreal all averaging less than 20,000 spectators.

— Seven of the nine opening-day starting quarterbacks missing time with injury.

— Two suspensions following positive drug tests, the latest to Winnipeg star running back Andrew Harris.

— The CFL awarding the Saskatchewan a shortened road win in the third quarter due to weather.

— A dip in CFL ratings in the final season of its TV deal.

These all preceded sometimes contentious bargaining between the CFL and CFL Players' Association. A three-year deal was reached to ensure training camps and the regular season both began on time but Ambrosie said the process was draining.

"Just the draw of energy the CBA negotiations take away from our game and I felt that all winter," he said. "You feel the burden, which I think the players feel as well.

"We all want this to be big, strong and successful but I think we all kind of share in that energy drain that's inherent to the CBA."

A CFL source says a big part of the Alouettes negotiation surrounds Montreal's financial picture. The franchise has reportedly lost $50 million since Wetenhall arrived in '97, including $25 million the past three seasons and a whopping $12.5 million last year.

But Ambrosie said Montreal's on-field improvement has enhanced the situation. After missing the playoffs the last four years with a combined 21-51 record , the Alouettes (5-4) are second in the East Division.

Lions president Rick LeLacheur doesn't have that luxury as he seeks a buyer for owner David Braley. Despite hiring DeVone Claybrooks as head coach and signing quarterback Mike Reilly this off-season, B.C. (1-9) is last in the West Division.

Ambrosie plans to be in B.C. next month and meet with "multiple groups" that are interested in the franchise.

Not surprisingly, B.C.'s attendance is lagging (18,196 through four home dates) and below the league average (22,784). So are the Alouettes (17,222) but they're 2-2 at home and coming off exciting road victories over Calgary and Toronto.

It's hard to determine Toronto's average attendance because it doesn't always provide it. The highest recorded home gathering for the Argos (1-8) was 16,734 for a 64-14 loss to Hamilton on June 22.

Fortunately for the CFL, the Saskatchewan (6-3)-Winnipeg (8-2) game Sunday in Regina and the Toronto-Hamilton (8-2) matchup Monday at Tim Hortons Field are both sellouts.

"It (attendance) is one of the things we talk about the most but not just in the context of our league but what's going on in pro sports," Ambrosie said. "We're facing this challenge in sport and that's how do we attract the casual fan, how do we create a value proposition for them?

"But just look at this coming weekend. We've got sellouts in Hamilton and Regina and I expect a great crowd. if not close to a sellout, in Calgary. We feel very good about where we're going and there are some positive signs on the horizon."

Another concern is the CFL's television numbers. Games are averaging 482,000 viewers, a nine per cent drop, in the final year of the deal with TSN.

But TSN has seen an increase in CFL viewing across its digital platforms. Streaming video starts for games are up 25 per cent while those by TSN Direct subscribers have increased 52 per cent.

The league continues to drive strong engagement on TSN’s social media platforms. There's been over seven million impressions on the broadcaster's CFL content and more than two million views of league videos on its Instagram account.

"It (TV deal) has been under discussion," Ambrosie said. "I think we'll have something very positive to say on that before too long."

Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell returns to Calgary's lineup Monday when the Stampeders (5-4) host arch-rival Edmonton (6-4). Last year's CFL and Grey Cup MVP was on the six-game injured list (torn pectoral muscle) and topped the list of seven opening-day starters who missed time with injury.

Only Reilly and Edmonton's Trevor Harris have started all of their team's games. That's allowed backups like Calgary's Nick Arbuckle, Saskatchewan's Cody Fajardo, Montreal's Vernon Adams Jr. and Toronto's McLeod Bethel-Thompson to shine.

"We're working hard to try to find ways to make the game as safe as we can for all of our players, including quarterbacks," Ambrosie said. "But it also speaks to the issue that injuries always result in giving somebody else a chance to make their mark on the game.

"Sports will never eradicate injuries. But we must do everything we can to make the game as safe possible because our fans want our best players to play."

The CFL irked many Aug. 9 when it awarded Saskatchewan a 17-10 road win in Montreal just an hour after lightening halted third-quarter action. The weather protocol was part of the new CBA and will be revisited at season's end.

"There's no room inside the current CBA for there to be a judgement call," Ambrosie said. "We did a poor job of communicating this and we need to do that better.

"Our partners needed to have a better understanding of how that rule worked. We've got to make sure things negotiated inside of the CBA are better communicated and everyone has a chance to understand how it's all supposed to work."

Ambrosie said the league met recently with Japanese football officials and Japan will be the latest country to join the CFL 2.0 venture. And Ambrosie expects an exciting second-half run leading up to the Grey Cup game in Calgary.

"We have much work to do but I'm more convinced than ever that we're on the way to a CFL unlike any CFL in our history if we stay focused on our plan and work hard," he said. "Hopefully we can put the Montreal ownership issue to rest soon, we've opened up a new and very positive conversation with the CFLPA about how we work with them and we're working with our international partners.

"There are many reasons for me to see the Labour Day weekend as an opportunity to look forward to the second half because many good things will happen."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    John Bowman continues to shine at 37, winning defensive player of the week because of his two sacks and forced fumble against BC. His 130 career sacks put in a sixth place tie for sacks. He is also a class act.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Vernon Adams has continued his breakthrough season although the Als lost a close one 27-25 to the Riders on the weekend. So far he is 6-3 on the season. He has passed for 2,465 yards, fifth in the CFL, with a 96.7% efficiency rating and a 2.6% interception rate. He has also rushed for 294 yards, third in the CFL among QBs, while tying William Powell for the league lead in TDs among all players with 10.

Adams has become one of the league’s biggest stories this season. ...

The result is a football team on track for its best finish since 2012, when Anthony Calvillo led the Als to an 11-7 record and an East Division title. ...

At first glance the numbers seem ordinary, but Vernon Adams Jr. has been effective both as a passer and rusher in his first full-time role as a starter, averaging 8.9 yards per throw while totaling 10 touchdowns on the ground.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/09/rockst...s-new-heights/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als improved performance and winning record has helped them increase attendance from 16,137 on July 20th to 19,070 by yesterday. The Argos attendance problems are deeper and it is probably too late to significantly improve their attendance this year unless they go on an extended winning streak that puts them in playoff contention, which seems extremely unlikely, but rebuilding Argo attendance could start with a major rebuild in the off-season followed by an early winning streak. Also a better early schedule would help.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The Als big comeback vs the Bombers was so satisfying. The Bombers looked full of themselves at halftime and the TV dudes were praising Andrew "The Raging Picogram" Harris as some kind of heroic innocent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Bombers under O`Shea & Walters have built up a pretty solid, winning team now, but IMO their achilles heel has been, and is again this year, a very weak secondary - not near talented enough DBs and poorly coached by good ole Richie Hall; big mistake by O`Shea not to see this and get rid of Hall and insist on some better secondary talent. Inexcusable to let Adams pass his way down the field in the last miniute to open receivers (why was there not one or 2 deep safeties on that winning TD É). You can`t have a very good defence in the CFL - a pass happy league - without a solid group of DBs who have played together and gelled as a unit.

That being said, i still think the Bombers can win the West; AND - love to see a GC match-up of Bombers vs. Als