Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That report made no sense. Said Als lost $12m based on $6m less revenue and $6m more expense. Which if true would mean they broke even the previous year. Find that rather hard to believe.
    I agree Paul. Als ticket prices aren't cheap. Let's say at an average of $50 per ticket, they would have generated 7.7M in ticket sales based on their average attendance of 17.3k. TV revenue gives them another 4M. I'm sure they had some sponsorship money, let's conservatively say 500k. That's 12.2M in revenue not including concessions. I highly doubt their costs ran up near 25M to run the team last year, which would give you the loss of 12M. At most, I say the Als lost 5M. Still not good, but that 12M figure is very exaggerated IMO.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree Paul. Als ticket prices aren't cheap. Let's say at an average of $50 per ticket, they would have generated 7.7M in ticket sales based on their average attendance of 17.3k. TV revenue gives them another 4M. I'm sure they had some sponsorship money, let's conservatively say 500k. That's 12.2M in revenue not including concessions. I highly doubt their costs ran up near 25M to run the team last year, which would give you the loss of 12M. At most, I say the Als lost 5M. Still not good, but that 12M figure is very exaggerated IMO.
    It's not so much that I think it's exaggerated (altho it does seem hard to imagine expenses increasing by $6M from one year to the next) as that I think the reporter has confused net change with profit and loss. The only way a net change of $12M results in a year-over-year loss of $12M is if the previous year was break even. I don't believe the Als broke even in 2017, so the entire basis for the report seems questionable.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The Argos played 6 QBs in their ex, game today, Just FYI; and maybe they are dumb.
    I think it's dumb, but I've done many and said many a dumb things in my life as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I think it's dumb, but I've done many and said many a dumb things in my life as well.
    All things considered, the coaching staff handled it pretty well. The two rookies each played only one series, and Franklin and MBT saw limited action. The real QB competition is for the the #3 spot, which is why Bridge and Prukop saw the most action.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Alouettes have been bought by the league. Is the team in danger of folding after the year?

As I mentioned above, horrendous coaching/management personnel decisions have led this franchise into the gutter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    The Alouettes have been bought by the league. Is the team in danger of folding after the year?

As I mentioned above, horrendous coaching/management personnel decisions have led this franchise into the gutter.
    Although the Montreal organization has fallen on hard times, I don't think there is any danger of the team folding. CFL football in Montreal has been a huge success in the past and can be again with solid ownership and hard work.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Although the Montreal organization has fallen on hard times, I don't think there is any danger of the team folding. CFL football in Montreal has been a huge success in the past and can be again with solid ownership and hard work.
    I agree, but all that doesn't matter. You have to find an owner who can initially absorb millions in losses. Who owns the Canadiens?

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The Als don't have the "Club Seats" that they have in Hamilton and Ottawa - average $300 a seat X $1,000
    They don't have the Private Suite - at roughly $30,000 a suite.
    They don't have the field level seats or the end zone patio which are all money makers. They don't have any income from naming rights.

If you look at the balance sheets of the public teams, the Bombers Operating costs were over $30 Million and the Riders and Esks around $26 Million.
    The Bombers and Esks made a profit of around $2.5 MILLION last year. The Riders made $750,000 in 2017, the first year in their new stadium.
    The Bombers averaged around 28k attendance and the Esks around 32k and Riders 34k - average ticket price around $80
    All 3 teams made a small profit and that's with crowds of over 28k and ticket prices over $80 !!!

The Als had seat sales last year and we don't know how many of the 17k average were cheaper seat sale tickets.
    So yes the Als could easily have lost $12 MILLION a year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    The Als don't have the "Club Seats" that they have in Hamilton and Ottawa - average $300 a seat X $1,000
    They don't have the field level seats or the end zone patio which are all money makers. They don't have any income from naming rights.

If you look at the balance sheets of the public teams, the Bombers Operating costs were over $30 Million and the Riders and Esks around $26 Million.
    The Bombers and Esks made a profit of around $2.5 MILLION last year. The Riders made $750,000 in 2017, the first year in their new stadium.
    The Bombers averaged around 28k attendance and the Esks around 32k and Riders 34k - average ticket price around $80
    All 3 teams made a small profit and that's with crowds of over 28k and ticket prices over $80 !!!

The Als had seat sales last year and we don't know how many of the 17k average were cheaper seat sale tickets.
    Combine player and football ops salary’s at $8M, I’d like to know what additional expenses could swallow up another $20M or so?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    ???

The Alouettes do have Suites - https://en.montrealalouettes.com/corporate-loges/
    The Alouettes do have club seats - https://en.montrealalouettes.com/2019-business-club/
    The Alouettes also have a smaller scale lounge area - https://en.montrealalouettes.com/douglas-hall/
    The Alouettes also have a smaller size patio type of set-up (Budweiser Bier Garden) - https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.ne...ade2019_EN.svg

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    https://3downnation.com/2019/06/02/e...uettes-report/

Not surprising considering this is the group that was thought to not have enough money, but the media loved him anyways. Still sad though, because now it means pretty much everyone said to be interested is out - minus Bronfman group who denied interest in the first place, but a couple of media members feel strongly that they're still in the background.

I still feel that long term, the Alouettes and Impact are best served under one umbrella and playing in a shared venue. I've always hoped the Molson's/Canadiens would get involved, but with Bell owning !8% of the Habs, I'm a little concerned that we'd see another CFL/TSN exclusive extension, which to put it mildly, I'm against.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/sta...13868819652608

I can't embed tweets for some reason, but I wonder who the new supposed mystery group is ?

I'll also add that I hope Maciocia isn't pushed onto any ownership group the way Ambrosie supposedly tried to with Guzzo - let the new owners hire whomever they want. I shouldn't be surprised though, because Ambrosie is easily the worst Commissioner's I've ever seen - will probably end being the Commish that pushes me away from the CFL. Never thought I'd dislike a Commish more than Orridge or Goodell, but Ambrosie takes the cake for me.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I have to agree with the Gazette reporter, here we are a week before the season starts and they are trying to find a buyer, the worst possible time.
    They couldn't find a buyer at all in the off-season and now they are scrambling at the last minute.

Maybe the new group is Saputo, they are the only potential owners that have their own stadium.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...-possible-time

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Where have I seen this before?

Hmmmmm?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Not surprising considering this is the group that was thought to not have enough money, but the media loved him anyways. Still sad though, because now it means pretty much everyone said to be interested is out - minus Bronfman group who denied interest in the first place, but a couple of media members feel strongly that they're still in the background.

I still feel that long term, the Alouettes and Impact are best served under one umbrella and playing in a shared venue. I've always hoped the Molson's/Canadiens would get involved, but with Bell owning !8% of the Habs, I'm a little concerned that we'd see another CFL/TSN exclusive extension, which to put it mildly, I'm against.
    Why? Although I agree with you, who else is there? CBC, Rogers, CTV? TSN is all the CFL has and they'll be lucky if they can get another contract the same size unless they can get a Game of the Week on Rogers. Which begs the question why did Rogers/MLSE buy into the Argos? The CBC is out of the pro sports game (sports where they essentially have to put some money into) and CTV has bought into the NFL hype. Even if they offered big money DAZN would be a death knell for the league.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I can't embed tweets for some reason, but I wonder who the new supposed mystery group is ?

I'll also add that I hope Maciocia isn't pushed onto any ownership group the way Ambrosie supposedly tried to with Guzzo - let the new owners hire whomever they want. I shouldn't be surprised though, because Ambrosie is easily the worst Commissioner's I've ever seen - will probably end being the Commish that pushes me away from the CFL. Never thought I'd dislike a Commish more than Orridge or Goodell, but Ambrosie takes the cake for me.
    Not sure how reliable Marinaro is.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Guzzo sheds light on why he didn't buy the Als and the circus going on.

“But, for example, if this was a team in another country, let’s say, I wouldn’t even look at it twice. If it wasn’t for the fact that I’m a Montrealer, I wouldn’t even look at this deal after I saw what I saw.”

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...es-sale-circus

Banned
    Achievements:

Level

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Combine player and football ops salary’s at $8M, I’d like to know what additional expenses could swallow up another $20M or so?
    Don't know where you came up with only $8 M......…….try doubling that.
    Why don't you check out the Bombers balance sheet and you can see how much it costs to run a football team. You can check the Esks and the Riders too - all similar.
    Then you can understand why the Als could lose so much money.

Bombers - "Operating expenses totaled $30.8 million, an increase of $3.4 million over 2017"

Football operations at $12 MILLION, Plus Marketing & administration another $11.8 MILLION, Plus stadium operations $5.6 MILLION

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/04/2018-Winnipeg-Blue-Bombers-Annual-Report.pdf
    Last edited by CFLfan; 06-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Guzzo sheds light on why he didn't buy the Als and the circus going on.

“But, for example, if this was a team in another country, let’s say, I wouldn’t even look at it twice. If it wasn’t for the fact that I’m a Montrealer, I wouldn’t even look at this deal after I saw what I saw.”

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...es-sale-circus
    The only circus is Guzzo himself. He would have been a disaster as owner.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force