Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Why Eric Lapointe?

CFL currently negotiating sale of Alouettes with Eric Lapointe involved
    3Down Staff June 5, 2019

Lapointe played the last six seasons of his CFL career for the Alouettes and believes the franchise can thrive in La Belle Province.

“It’s a smaller business obviously than the Montreal Canadiens, it’s even a smaller business than what we have right now for most of the people that are in the group. Yes, there’s different aspects to it. There’s obviously football ops, there’s administration and then the coaching and the actual game, which is three different things,” Lapointe said on TSN radio in Montreal in March.

I know exactly where to start. It’s an interesting business, but don’t get me wrong it’s not a passion investment for me: I believe there’s potential. I’ve seen numbers in the past and I’ve talked to many teams in the league also. It’s probably not a team that you could make 10 millions of profit every year… but as a group if we bring different type of people, different type of expertise, we can do great things for a small organization.”

Be real nice to see some veteran, sharp Quebec football people get in charge of the Als and try and turn things around there; maybe Lapointe with some fairly rich Quebec businessmen, with maybe Maciocia, maybe somebody from the powerhouse Laval program (Matt Bertrand ?) and I'm sure there are lots of others.

As opposed to some same old Americans first GOBs; the Wet&alls had their time - they're a joke now; so is Mavis Reed as a GM, IMO.

Dare to dream - some Canadian football people running a CFL team - so radical.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Dare to dream - some Canadian football people running a CFL team - so radical.
    Winnipeg?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Winnipeg?

Pretty well I guess; and they have been doing OK; at least easily better than Montreal with the Wet&alls and Mavis Reed (& an American HC with zero experience in or clue about Canadian football - last season; Hawkins before that) running things.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Winnipeg?
    President, GM and HC. Doesn't get any more Canadian than that. But they are part of the conspiracy that only starts 7 Nationals. Imagine that. People that came up through Usports still starting only the minimum amount of Canadian players. In fact, I'll take it one further and say they really only start 6, because Wolitarsky is Canadian in status only.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    President, GM and HC. Doesn't get any more Canadian than that. But they are part of the conspiracy that only starts 7 Nationals. Imagine that. People that came up through Usports still starting only the minimum amount of Canadian players. In fact, I'll take it one further and say they really only start 6, because Wolitarsky is Canadian in status only.
    The infamous (according to the profane tongue slip by Dave Dickenson) Canadian Mafia in Winnipeg. They are actually called that.

Now, I should say that I am, to a point, often in agreement with OV Argo, but I think we may question his approach sometimes more than his oft stated message. Frankly the backup QBs in the league aren't that great and I for one think Franklin and Jennings were overrated (subject to the coming season) I remember posting one time that Buckley's stats were better than Franklin's but that perception still exists about Canadian players. But like Andrew Harris, if O'Connor can make the breakthrough, unlike the past, I think we could see a change in thinking.

I am pretty sure (just to ensure the survival of the business) you are going to see a more prominent presence of the Quebec CIS player in Montreal as you did local Saskatchewan boys during the Rider's heydays. In the French market, it's obviously good for business.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    This blows my predictions out of the water, sort of...

CFL hoping to sell Alouettes to California-based Lenkov brothers
    Dave Naylor June 10 2019

The Canadian Football League is hoping to sell the Montreal Alouettes to two former Montreal natives: Hollywood producer Peter Lenkov and his brother, Jeff, a California-based attorney.

Peter Lenkov, 55, studied film at Montreal’s Concordia University in the 1980 and is a highly successful TV writer and producer. His recent credits including CSI: New York and the reboots of Hawaii Five-O and MacGyver.

Jeffrey Lenkov, 53, has a bachelor’s degree from McGill and studied law at Northern Illinois University before moving to Los Angeles. He is a certified player agent with the NHLPA and an adjunct professor of sports law at Southwestern Law School.

A week ago, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said the league had narrowed its search for new owners for the Alouettes to one group, now believed to be the Lenkov brothers. It’s not known whether there are others involved.

Despite speculation that former Alouettes running back Eric Lapointe would be associated with the group, Lapointe denied any involvement when contacted Monday.

The CFL officially took over ownership of the Alouettes on May 31, several weeks after the league’s other eight franchises committed to financing the team until a new owner could be found to replace Bob and Andrew Wetenhall who bought it in 1997.

Peter Lenkov described his entry into the television business in a 2017 interview published on the Concordia University website.

“In 1987 I literally bought a one-way ticket from Montreal to Los Angeles,” he said. “When I arrived I didn’t know anybody and started peddling the stuff that I was writing.”

A cover story in Attorney at Law Magazine from January of this year describes Jeffrey Lenkov as having “boldly gone where many attorneys don’t dare to venture; multiple seemingly unrelated disciplines inside the courtroom and out – practically on a daily basis.”

A partner at Manning & Kass, the firm’s website describes him as having “spent more than two decades litigating on behalf of prominent domestic and international companies including major airlines, as well as business owners, professional sports franchises, world class athletes, celebrities and international sports agencies.”

The Alouettes, who have missed the playoffs four straight seasons while compiling a 21-51 record over that span, fired head coach Mike Sherman on Saturday, promoting offensive co-ordinator Khari Jones to head coach less than a week before Friday's regular season opener at Edmonton.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Despite speculation that former Alouettes running back Eric Lapointe would be associated with the group, Lapointe denied any involvement when contacted Monday.
    Lord, please, please get Lapointe involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The infamous (according to the profane tongue slip by Dave Dickenson) Canadian Mafia in Winnipeg. They are actually called that.

Now, I should say that I am, to a point, often in agreement with OV Argo, but I think we may question his approach sometimes more than his oft stated message. Frankly the backup QBs in the league aren't that great and I for one think Franklin and Jennings were overrated (subject to the coming season) I remember posting one time that Buckley's stats were better than Franklin's but that perception still exists about Canadian players. But like Andrew Harris, if O'Connor can make the breakthrough, unlike the past, I think we could see a change in thinking.

I am pretty sure (just to ensure the survival of the business) you are going to see a more prominent presence of the Quebec CIS player in Montreal as you did local Saskatchewan boys during the Rider's heydays. In the French market, it's obviously good for business.

IF, its just another clueless American ownership group, you can forget about more Quebec players being a strong part of the Als; Lapointe + the likes of Maciocia and some other Quebec football people (from strong teams like Laval or the Carabins) being involved = then way more likely. There is a lot of top notch football talent being produced in Quebec and the Als mining that pool AND marketing it, could pay big dividends IMO.

The Bombers may have a lot of Canadian decision making presence now, but that doesn't mean they are automatically going to do anything radically different than all other CFL teams roster thinking wise and in regards to respect for Canadian talent; Walters, O'Shea and co, are still showing standard GOB operating procedure there - 7 only NIs need apply for staring jobs and always maximum # of imports on the roster - follow establishment ways or be cast out ? ;o) We shall see where they go (# 1990 ;o) ) with standard procedure. Kinda amusing how Ottawa winning a GC a few years back in starting 10 to 12 NIs in that run, is pretty well never mentioned or swept under the rug by standard CFL "commentators" ? But hearing Mr. Ed and Claybrooks in BC may be starting 10 or more NIs this year? - believe it when i see it - that would be just rad, and they may have to give up their GOB cards. ;o)

Andrew Harris (following the success of Cornish & Messam) has really changed things for Canadian RBs now ? - which teams outside of the Bombers (and maybe the Ticats with Erlington) are giving Canadian RB talent a real chance to compete for playing time in TCs? Ottawa is probably going to start average at best Madu at RB with impressive new import Crockett in the wings - recent comments i heard from HC Campbell made ZERO mention of vet Gillanders (out-played Madu by a country mile 2 seasons back) in their RB mix ? = position pencilled for imports only.

We'll see if O'Connor fares any better than a one year PR "development" run like Brannagan got - i believe O'Connor may have way more pro QB potential and skills, but we shall see; just like Hugo Richard behind the likes of a stiff like Shiltz - maybe if the Als had a Quebec coach who had some say and who had watched Richard playing 5 years at Laval - things might be different.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Andrew Harris (following the success of Cornish & Messam) has really changed things for Canadian RBs now
    Personally my crusade is for CIS players not NCAA Canadians. I'm not trying to "deCanadian" them for lack of a better word, I am sure they are as patriotic as the next guy. But the CIS stigma (at all positions) has to change and get better. I just wonder why a guy like Mercer Timmis who has performed every time he had the opportunity seems to get passed over, you would think that a Canadian who could do the job at that position would be a real asset.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Lord, please, please get Lapointe involved.
    Agreed. I think the league is making a huge mistake in not looking at Lapointe's group as the #1 option. For this to work, they need a real Montreal presence from the ownership group. Selling to former Montreal residents to me doesn't cut it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Anyone else think it's possible the Als go 2-16 or worse this year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Their D looks okay on paper. They'll need some decent QB play, otherwise your prediction is very possible.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Depends a lot on the coaching smarts of Khari Jones and the rest of the staff.

The Als have way more talent on their roster, IMO, - over Ottawa on both sides of the ball, and over the Argos on defence. QB is a big question mark for the Als, but so it is for Ottawa too. I\ll bet the Als finish with more wins than the RedBlacks. Both in the 4 or 5 win category.

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Depends a lot on the coaching smarts of Khari Jones and the rest of the staff.

The Als have way more talent on their roster, IMO, - over Ottawa on both sides of the ball, and over the Argos on defence. QB is a big question mark for the Als, but so it is for Ottawa too. I\ll bet the Als finish with more wins than the RedBlacks. Both in the 4 or 5 win category.
    They do? Ottawa is back with virtually the same D as last season and with the addition of Randle. They shut down the Stamps high potent O.
    The Als don't have a player in the same category as a clutch receiver like Sinopoli. Ottawa has an all-Canadian O line that looked pretty good on Thursday.
    The Als have some good receivers but the QB is still the question mark.
    I would say the Als will get more wins than last year but no more that the RedBlacks. Ottawa off to a good start to the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    They do? Ottawa is back with virtually the same D as last season and with the addition of Randle. They shut down the Stamps high potent O.
    The Als don't have a player in the same category as a clutch receiver like Sinopoli. Ottawa has an all-Canadian O line that looked pretty good on Thursday.
    The Als have some good receivers but the QB is still the question mark.
    I would say the Als will get more wins than last year but no more that the RedBlacks. Ottawa off to a good start to the season.
    I was surprised by Ottawa's win the other night. Calgary not taking advantage of 4 picks is almost inexcusable.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Eric Lapointe joins Clifford Starke group in bid to purchase the Alouettes
    3Down Staff 3downnation June 20, 2019

Eric Lapointe has joined Clifford Starke’s group trying to purchase the Montreal Alouettes, according to Herb Zurkowsky.

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame running back played the last six seasons of his CFL career for the Alouettes and believes the franchise can thrive in La Belle Province.

Former CFL commissioner and Als president Larry Smith backs Starke as a potential new owner of the franchise. Starke is close with Larry’s son Brad, who played receiver in the CFL for two seasons, and brought him on as a consultant. Lapointe joins the crew.

The 35-year-old Starke is the chairman of Hampstead Private Captital and appears to be making a strong push to buy the Als from the CFL.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Is the end game now for Ambrosie a consortium of Starke, the Lenkovs and Lapointe (to play the Jeff Hunt role)? Weed, Hollywood and a relatively young football guy. Is that not a recipe for success to attract the new fan in the years ahead? If you could get these various guys together it could be great, the amount of ground they could cover, or it could be a recipe for disaster. Even better if Joe Poulin and Patrick Pichette were also involved, you'd have almost every modern expertise in running a business, lots of capital, and finally, Quebec ownership.

Eskimos give fans plenty of excitement in opener against Montreal
    Terry Jones Edmonton Journal June 14, 2019

If nothing else, for the longest time there it looked like the Edmonton Eskimos might be expediting the sale of the Alouettes to Montreal natives Peter and Jeffrey Lenkov Friday night.

Peter, a Hollywood movie producer, and Jeffrey a lawyer practicing in California, sat in an exclusive end zone suite at Commonwealth Stadium with CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Might as well have a section in the stadium where you could light up doobies.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Might as well have a section in the stadium where you could light up doobies.
    Whether we like it or not, it's now become the new normal. When you have someone like Martha Stewart getting involved in the business that changes the perception.

Health Canada regulations governing the new classes of cannabis-infused goods, including topicals put on the skin and vaporizable concentrates will come into force on Oct. 17 – exactly one year since the legalization of recreational pot in Canada.

Riedle said he expects that is when more Canadians will embrace cannabis culture.

“The majority of new customers – the ‘canna-curious’ 1 are looking for new delivery systems for cannabis. Elderly and new cannabis consumers don’t want to put smoke in their lungs. They are looking for edibles, they are looking for vapes, and topicals,” he said.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agreed. I think the league is making a huge mistake in not looking at Lapointe's group as the #1 option. For this to work, they need a real Montreal presence from the ownership group. Selling to former Montreal residents to me doesn't cut it.
    But does this Starke guy have actual money? I am perhaps being ageist but I wonder just how much real money he has at 35 years of age.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force