Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Herb Zurkowsky rports that the Als continue to pursue Colin Kaepernick and have contacted him about their interest. However, in addition to the fact that he has already earned $24 million and hardly needs what Montreal could pay, some now speculate that the widespread national anthem protests in the NFL over Trump's comments now occurring that were originally initiated by him may result in some NFL team finally signing him. I doubt therefore that he would agree to anything with the Alouettes this year, if ever.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It looks like Drew Willy will be starting against the Stampeders on Friday as Durant has a hamstring injury and been very ineffective recently.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tyrell Sutton comments on last week's lost to the Argo and the game this week against Calgary in the video below.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/201...the-argonauts/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Despite going 13 for 19 for only 137 yards, in the Als 59-11 drubbing by Calgary, former Argo Drew Willy will likely start against Edmonton on Thanksgiving Day according to GM Kavis Reed, as Durant is still suffering from a hamstring injury.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Montreal is unforgiving when it comes to bad teams. I'm afraid for what the already shrinking Als' attendance will be next year and the overall situation in the CFL's three largest cities in this regard.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the following article about the Als new WR TJ Graham, who played his first game last week, there is a highly ironic quote from Kavis Reed that reflects on the general situation on the team:

“One of the things I’ve learned, it’s very easy to jettison someone after they make a mistake,” said Reed, the Als’ general manager and interim head coach. “A part of having the right culture is coaching, making certain when guys do make mistakes we correct them. I’ve always said (unless) a coach had a perfect game he can’t criticize his players."
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...ms-elite-speed

Considering who he has let go and the record of the team, I guess that there are some things he hasn't learned and that he hasn't quite established the right culture in Montreal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The President of the Alouettes, Patrick Boivin, admits there are no quick fixes to the team's problems. When you have 21 players 30 or older and no other team has more than 12, I would agree.

Ten months into his first year as Alouettes president, Patrick Boivin could be excused if he believed the football world was imploding around him.
    The team has a 3-12 record, is on an eight-game losing streak, will miss the Canadian Football League playoffs for a third straight season, has fired its head coach, who doubled as the offensive coordinator, fired the defensive coordinator and is averaging 19,439 spectators, or nearly 4,000 below capacity.
    Other than that, things are great. “The initial challenge we all saw … certainly hasn’t changed. Some would argue it has grown. I’d argue we just took a little longer to get started. Semantics? Maybe,” Boivin said Monday. ...
    If there was one point Boivin attempted to drive home, he insisted there was never going to be any quick fix to what ails the Als. The “landslide” might have started five years ago; even a winning record this year would have only masked some deep-rooted problems. ...

While there will constantly be speculation about potential new ownership or the need to get local interested parties involved, the Wetenhall family never has expressed a desire to sell. And realistically, it wouldn’t make economic sense to unload the franchise at this juncture, when the return would be minimal. “My belief is they’ll fight to keep the franchise, but there needs to be signs,” Boivin said. “Part of that — a big part — is on me … on righting the ship. I don’t know that we necessarily get four years to do this without seeing some real progression.” ...

Firing Chapdelaine and Noel Thorpe last month was less about salvaging the season, Boivin said. It was more about starting to plan for the future. And now that will begin again with the hiring of a new head coach this winter and what should be some new assistants along with, it’s imagined, an overhaul of the roster. This team needs to get younger while changing the culture. It requires a coach who will both teach and lead. ...

The price of season tickets will remain frozen. Indeed, those deciding to renew their subscriptions will take advantage of rebates between 45 and 25 per cent, depending on how early they commit. The price of almost 1,000 seats in Molson Stadium will be reduced, and a $20 ticket for students will now be offered. Rather than concentrating on the approximately 10,000 who have full season-ticket packages, Boivin said equal emphasis must be placed on those who have more specific interests and want to see a more limited number of games. Boivin said the organization must continue to sell the overall experience as opposed to the actual three-hour game.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...president-says

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Is this not the 3rd time in the last 2 or so years he has shown up in Montreal only to never play a game?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Is this not the 3rd time in the last 2 or so years he has shown up in Montreal only to never play a game?
    Jerry Rice Jr. symbolizes one of the Als major problems. They have been far too often interested in recruiting the best name, not the best player.
    Last edited by jerrym; 10-24-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It looks like Darian Durant's season is over while Nik Lewis's career has come to an end as HC Kavis Reed plans to go with younger players, such as Mathew Shiltz and Antonio Pipkin at QB, in the Als' final game. There's a good chance that Durant won't not be brought back next year either.

Durant, who the Als traded for last January, has two years remaining on his contract, one that paid a reported $400,000 this season, including a $225,000 signing bonus. Reed can ask Durant to restructure, but it’s also likely the player’s guaranteed another substantial payment this winter, potentially backing a team with little cash-flow into a corner.
    “We signed him because of his pedigree and because of the things he brings to the table. This season hasn’t gone the way none of us expected or wanted,” Reed said. “The quarterback’s going to shoulder a lot of that. I wouldn’t say we’re going to say Darian is not part of the future. We have to look at the whole picture.
    “He’s not satisfied and we’re not satisfied. We know he’s better than that. We have to put the pieces together and see why his play has gone down.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...-for-alouettes

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als will have QB Matthew Shiltz making his first start against Hamilton.

The six-foot-two,195-pound former Butler Bulldog is to give way to Antonio Pipkin, 22, who played collegiately at Triffin, sometime in the second half.
    Shiltz made appearances in three games this season, completing 28-of-45 passes for 289 yards with a TD an interception. He has also rushed eight times for 65 yards.
    “It’s my first career start and I’m really excited for this opportunity,” Shiltz said. “It’s great to go out there for the last game of the year and show my teammates and the coaching staff all the hard work that we’ve done and hopefully end the season on a good note.
    “In terms of preparation I’ve just been trying to do everything kind of similar to how I’ve been the past few weeks of the season. As a young kid you want to try and do everything you can as if you’re the starter and learn and prepare each day . . . so when you do get that opportunity you’ll be ready to go.”
    Shiltz also played against Hamilton last month, completing 15-of-22 passes for 167 yards and an interception.
    “He moved the team and ran around,” Jones said of Shiltz. “He looked pretty good when he did play on film last week (in 37-12 loss to Saskatchewan).
    “He presents some other issues for us.”
    Shiltz completed 5-of-13 passes for 47 yards against Saskatchewan but did find Sam Giguere on a 10-yard scoring strike for his first-ever CFL TD toss.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/11/02/sh...-start-ticats/
    Last edited by jerrym; 11-03-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    When the GM states that his team "is not a mess" and the future of the franchise is not as bleak as it appears, you know it's a mess. The big question is whether he is the man to the correct the situation. Based on the evidence so far, the answer is an emphatic no.

“The time has come to overhaul this roster,” Reed told the Montreal Gazette, after he and president Patrick Boivin met the media on Saturday, not long after players had emptied their lockers at Olympic Stadium following a disastrous 3-15 season that included 11 consecutive defeats to end the year.
    And yet, Reed said the state of the franchise is not as bleak as it appears. “It’s not a mess,” he emphatically stated. ...

Reed said there will be a minimum 30-per-cent turnover in personnel based on a 69-player team, including those who are injured or on the practice roster. He said the secondary needs to be revamped, while there must be improvement and more explosiveness at defensive tackle. Reed wants taller defensive backs who are capable of making plays.
    Surprisingly, Reed said only minor changes need to be made to an offence that scored a Canadian Football League-low 314 points in 18 games and ended the season being shutout 33-0 at Hamilton. And, while the quarterback situation needs to be addressed, Reed remains high on rookies Matthew Shiltz and Antonio Pipkin, and he didn’t rule out the return of Darian Durant. Whether it’s Durant, Drew Willy or someone else, there will be a veteran quarterback on the roster in 2018. If it’s Durant, he probably will be forced to restructure his $400,000 annual salary. Should he balk, he’ll probably be released. “I’m not embarrassed by the decision (to trade for) Darian. It’s very easy to blame him because he’s the quarterback,” Reed said. “Darian will tell you he’s not happy with his performance. And we expected more. But we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.”
    The receivers dropped too many passes, Durant operated behind an offensive line that endured its share of injuries and there were glaring weakness in the offensive system designed by Chapdelaine. Dropped passes in particular could well mean Ernest Jackson is finished as an Alouette after one season. One of the team’s prized free-agent additions, he didn’t live up to his potential. But Chapdelaine also didn’t play him close enough to the ball.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...-is-not-a-mess

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great discussion going on here. over 77% of the posts are by one person. Not exactly what I'd call a discussion (on a forum board I might add).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Great discussion going on here. over 77% of the posts are by one person. Not exactly what I'd call a discussion (on a forum board I might add).
    But you read it all anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    But you read it all anyway.
    LOL, yes I did, but not from here. I have CFL News bookmarked, very easy tool to use on any browser. I have the "Internet Newbie" (seems to think only he has the invention called the internet or maybe just learned how to use it in the last year) on my ignore list (first person I've ever used it on). Zero point in reading his useless posts and thread, which is all just copy and pasted, stats, blogs and articles.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    LOL, yes I did, but not from here. I have CFL News bookmarked, very easy tool to use on any browser. I have the "Internet Newbie" (seems to think only he has the invention called the internet or maybe just learned how to use it in the last year) on my ignore list (first person I've ever used it on). Zero point in reading his useless posts and thread, which is all just copy and pasted, stats, blogs and articles.

As I believe others have said here - I don't mind Jerry providing links to CFL news - cause I can't be bothered to seek out any of those groovy and oh so authoritative sources myself. I rely on the CFL site, this site (and one or two other CFL fan forums), for 90 some per cent of my CFL info. Sorry bout that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    As I believe others have said here - I don't mind Jerry providing links to CFL news - cause I can't be bothered to seek out any of those groovy and oh so authoritative sources myself. I rely on the CFL site, this site (and one or two other CFL fan forums), for 90 some per cent of my CFL info. Sorry bout that.
    Boggles the mind that you and others have time to read and post on here and other forums, yet don't have time to bookmark one or two pages lol.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Boggles the mind that you and others have time to read and post on here and other forums, yet don't have time to bookmark one or two pages lol.
    Seeing as how you are in the minority, I suggest you give it a rest. Jerry provides those of us that don’ have time to surf the net all day with news we might not find if not for him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Seeing as how you are in the minority, I suggest you give it a rest. Jerry provides those of us that don’ have time to surf the net all day with news we might not find if not for him.
    Right, cause I'm just "Mr. Know It All", right Angelo ?
    Bookmarking one or two pages = surfing the net ? Wow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Right, cause I'm just "Mr. Know It All", right Angelo ?
    Bookmarking one or two pages = surfing the net ? Wow.
    Pretty much so, yes. Why you following me on twitter? That’s borderline stalking.
    It's us vs the rest of the country