Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Alouettes to retire Cahoon's number on July 29th.
    http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-to-retir...er-86-1.483593

The Als have way too many retired jerseys IMO. I recall the last couple of pre season games a bunch of players with the same number due to the team running out of non retired numbers. Now I'm not saying that Cahoon and others don't deserved to be honoured by their franchises, but I like the way the Leafs honour their greats as opposed to retiring numbers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

The Als have way too many retired jerseys IMO. I recall the last couple of pre season games a bunch of players with the same number due to the team running out of non retired numbers. Now I'm not saying that Cahoon and others don't deserved to be honoured by their franchises, but I like the way the Leafs honour their greats as opposed to retiring numbers.
    X2

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Never been a fan of retiring numbers. Honour them, and make them all time members of your team, but retiring is not necessary. I can't stand watching the Montreal Canadians (well I could have just stopped there) with so many players wearing numbers in the 60's and 70's.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...-jim-popp-says

Though not an Als fan; I would love to see this happen. I recall reading quite a few stories where it was pointed on how involved Cahoon was with the younger guys on the roster. I believe he's coaching down South at his alma mater - receivers IIRC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Yes he was receivers coach at BYU until 2013 and had some success there. Cahoon was just rehired this year.

Coaching career[edit]

On February 1, 2011, Brigham Young University head football coach, Bronco Mendenhall, announced Ben Cahoon would join the BYU coaching staff as the wide receivers coach.[8] He served in that role through the end of the 2012 season, after which the school re-hired its former offensive coordinator Robert Anae, leading to Cahoon being released on January 15, 2013.[9] Cahoon returned to the coaching staff for the 2016 season under new head coach Kalani Sitake and offensive coordinator Ty Detmer. [10]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Cahoon

Coaching Highlights

• Coached BYU all-time leading receiver Cody Hoffman to his best collegiate season with 100 receptions, 1,248 yards in 2012
    • Hoffman finished career with 260 receptions, 3,612 yards and 33 receiving touchdowns
    • Had five receivers in 2011 with at least 25 receptions and four receivers with at least 200 yards receiving in 2012
    http://byucougars.com/staff/m-football/ben-cahoon

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

The Als have way too many retired jerseys IMO.
    The Als may have too many retired jerseys, but Cahoon's jersey is one that deserves retirement IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    A discussion and videos of Alouettes second overall pick, University of Laval OL Philippe Gagnon.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2016...ir-first-pick/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...n-quarterbacks
    The Montreal Alouettes signed five of their draft picks on Thursday, inking A-Dre Fraser and Matthew Toppan to four-year deals and George Johnson, Emmett Tims and Maiko Zepeda to two-year contracts.

The Alouettes also signed Canadian quarterbacks Drew Burko of the Saskatchewan Huskies and Jimmy Underdahl of the Calgary Dinos to two-year contracts.

The 6-foot-4 Burko played four seasons at Saskatchewan, completing 572 of 951 passes for 7,549 yards and 50 touchdowns. Underdahl, 5-foot-11, played 28 games for Calgary Dinos over four seasons, amassing 872 passing yards and six touchdowns. He also rushed for 413 yards on 76 carries.

Defensive-back Dominique Termansen, who helped British Columbia to a Vanier Cup last season and who Montreal protected after the draft, signed a two-year deal.

Fraser, a receiver, was drafted in the sixth round, while offensive-lineman Toppan was an eighth-rounder.

The Alouettes also got permission for St. Francis Xavier University quarterback Dante Djan to practise with the team in training camp until the team’s first pre-season game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Alouettes are certainly focusing on the Canadian QBs.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Alouettes are certainly focusing on the Canadian QBs.

Is this bad news for Bridge? How many of those guys actually make it out of camp? 1?

I mean, what are the Als going to do with 7 QBs in training camp?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Duron discusses what happened to him in the NFL.

Duron Carter is back in the CFL for a simple reason: To play football.
    The son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Cris Carter spent last season on the practice roster of the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts. Carter says while he enjoyed his time in Indianapolis — and the challenge of facing Pro Bowl cornerback Vontae Davis daily — he rejoined the Montreal Alouettes to be more than a practice player.
    “I loved Indy, they gave me a great opportunity and I learned a lot,” said Carter, in town recently to participate in a CFL promotional photo shoot. “They just had a different plan for me than I wanted.
    “There was a lot of politics and everything that I didn’t realize existed. I just wanted to play football and Montreal allows me to do that.”
    The six-foot-five, 220-pound Carter began his pro career in Montreal in 2013, amassing 124 catches for 1,939 yards and 12 TDs over two seasons. He had 75 receptions for 1,030 yards and seven TDs his final season before signing a three-year, US$1.575-million deal with Indianapolis, although just $25,000 was guaranteed and there was no signing bonus.
    Carter finished the pre-season with nine catches for 126 yards but landed on the practice roster. He became a free agent in January when Indianapolis didn’t offer him a future contract.
    “In practice, I was taking a lot of the earlier reps, the first-team reps, and then when we got to pre-season it seemed like I was being sort of held back,” Carter said. “The Colts didn’t have anything against me or anything, they just felt I was a future plan.
    “It wasn’t my time, I guess.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...lping-team-win

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I'm not a big Kevin Glenn fan, but he is so often dumped on, I believe that he is underrated and will improve last year's woeful offence. He will also help develop the backups with his experience.

When a team loses 12 of 18 games and misses the playoffs — the Alouettes’ 2015 epitaph — it’s clear the ship has taken on water at various levels. While there might be numerous holes to fill, Montreal’s immediate mandate is finding a way to score more points.
    How simple that onerous task becomes remains to be determined, but general manager and head coach Jim Popp believes his team will take on new life now that it finally has a veteran quarterback — Kevin Glenn — heading into the season. Glenn was acquired from Saskatchewan at last year’s trade deadline and dressed for three games.
    “A lot of things go hand in hand. We’ve had several coaching changes, four offensive coordinators … a rotation of quarterbacks. That surely affects the capability of scoring points,” Popp said Tuesday, during a Canadian Football League-mandated conference call. “The tools are there. The consistency of putting points up has not been. We didn’t get the ball in the end zone, but when you’re playing eight different games with (various) quarterbacks, it’s difficult to do.
    The Als were limited to 388 points last season. Only Winnipeg, another non-playoff team, scored fewer. Even Saskatchewan, which went 3-15 without Darian Durant, produced 430 points.
    Offensively, the Als averaged 19.7 points in a league where Popp said a team requires 30 per game to win consistently. Montreal was last in passing yards in a league where a team must be successful in that category. The Als passed for only 24 touchdowns, adding 10 more rushing. To put that into perspective, Toronto passed for 37 touchdowns alone.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...e-more-offence

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    From the same article.
    In off-field news, Als president Mark Weightman said the team has sold slightly more than 11,000 season tickets. While that’s a decrease of about 1,000, he said he doesn’t expect overall attendance to suffer a significant drop. He said sponsorship has increased by 13 per cent, with the organization anticipating a 25-per-cent improvement on its 2015 total.
    Montreal has to be a concern for the League - 8 years ago they had over 18,000 STH and lead the league in corporate sponsorship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    From the same article.

Montreal has to be a concern for the League - 8 years ago they had over 18,000 STH and lead the league in corporate sponsorship.
    Did they really have 18k STH? I don't recall ever hearing exactly what they had in terms of season ticket holders until they released yesterday's numbers. I do recall that their corporate sponsorship dropped off substantially at one time and at least that seems to be trending upwards again.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Did they really have 18k STH? I don't recall ever hearing exactly what they had in terms of season ticket holders until they released yesterday's numbers. I do recall that their corporate sponsorship dropped off substantially at one time and at least that seems to be trending upwards again.
    The old url doesn't work, but i found this.
    http://www.riderfans.com/forum/archi...t-107299.html?
    Corporate sponsorship, which totalled more than $6 million as recently as the 2007 season, now hovers at about $2.5 million. Major sponsors, including Subway, Nissan and Discount, have deserted the team. Companies were paying $150,000 each to have their logos painted on the field at Molson Stadium, but Lalonde decided those markings cluttered the field unnecessarily.

Season-ticket sales once were in the 18,000 range, higher when including corporate tickets. Today, they’re slightly over 14,000.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    From the same article.

I've been saying this for a few years, and some laughed at it. Including Calvillo's last year, IMO the Als have trended down since. Montreal and Vancouver are now the trouble spots for the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I've been saying this for a few years, and some laughed at it. Including Calvillo's last year, IMO the Als have trended down since. Montreal and Vancouver are now the trouble spots for the CFL.
    I agree that Montreal and BC are currently the big trouble spots, but a watchful eye still has to overlook Toronto.