Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    At the end of 1976 I went across Canada by train and ended up sitting beside a girl whose boyfriend had worked on the Olympic Stadium. She described how cement trucks would enter the construction area from one side and leave through the other without dropping their load and be counted three times, before finally dropping their cement on the fourth pass. Workers were paid double to keep their mouths shut. Other costs were similarly inflated. Now you know why it cost $1.5 billion and 30 years to pay the bill off for such a cold concrete fishbowl.
    I’ve heard the same stories in regards to Expo67 as well Jerry.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    With Lapo signing an extension to stay in Winnipeg (signed early in 2017, why are we only hearing about this now ?), you can scratch one name off of Kavis' list for Head Coaching candidates.

Als are a mess, I didn't see Lapo going there, nor Benevides, Claybrooks, etc. So really, unless the team gets rid of Kavis, I suspect an outside the box type of hire.
    It wouldn't surprise me if he he went hard after Stephen McAdoo. Former o-line coach with the Argos, moving on with Chris Jones both to Edmonton and Saskatchewan as Assistant HC and OC.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if he he went hard after Stephen McAdoo. Former o-line coach with the Argos, moving on with Chris Jones both to Edmonton and Saskatchewan as Assistant HC and OC.
    I could see Jonathan Himebauch being looked at. TBH, I don't think much of McAdoo, but I've always felt that Himebauch has Head Coach written all over him, and Himebauch never seems to stick anywhere for long, so............

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Not surprised.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als are also considering Laval Rouge et Or HC Glen Constantin for the job.

The man who could potentially become the Alouettes’ next field general lives just down Highway 20 in Quebec City. And Glen Constantin, the most successful football coach in Canadian university sports history, said he’ll listen when the expected call comes in.
    But the conversation might be short. “You’d be crazy not to listen. You don’t know what you’re passing up,” the 52-year-old head coach at Université Laval said during a recent interview with the Montreal Gazette. “But it would be very hard for me to move from here.
    “I’m not going to be there for two years and lose my job. I’m well taken care of here.”
    There’s no doubt the Canadian Football League team, coming off a 3-15 season and its third successive non-playoff year, needs Constantin far more than he needs the pay increase and the challenge of coaching a pro program that appears in disarray.
    Completing his 17th season Constantin, with financial assistance from Quebec businessman and team president Jacques Tanguay, has moulded the Rouge et Or into the envy of many collegiate programs.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...louettes-radar

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The list of potential Montreal HC keeps getting longer.

Favourites

With Paul LaPolice signing a contract extension with Winnipeg that includes a financially hefty escape clause, that leaves Devone Claybrooks, Corey Chamblin, Marcel Bellefeuille, Jamie Elizondo and Mark Washington.

Claybrooks, the defensive coordinator at Calgary, appears to be at the top of the list of those ready to become a head coach for the first time in the Canadian Football League. He played for the Als, works for the most successful and sound organization and, if hired, could probably convince Rich Stubler to join him as DC.
    Chamblin, Toronto’s DC, was a former head coach at Saskatchewan and won a Grey Cup in that role. But he comes with a bit of an ego, it has been suggested, and might have rubbed some people the wrong way while there. However, he undoubtedly has improved the Argonauts’ defence.
    Bellefeuille, B.C.’s receivers coach, would provide the Als with a francophone presence along with an offensive base. Bellefeuille was Hamilton’s head coach for three full seasons, going 26-28 overall. He also spent two seasons with the Als and was the offensive coordinator in 2007.
    Elizondo is Ottawa’s OC and a former Als assistant. When the Redblacks played at Molson Stadium in September, four days after Chapdelaine’s firing, both Reed and president Patrick Boivin spoke at length with Elizondo before the game.
    Washington played for the Als and has been the Lions’ DC since 2014. He launched his coaching career six seasons earlier with the same team.
    Worth Remembering

This could be a considerable list, including the likes of Tracy Ham, Tom Clements and a number of other CFL coordinators, such as Mike Benevides, Marcus Brady, Khari Jones, Richie Hall and Mark Nelson. And don’t forget Laval head coach Glen Constantin who, yet again, has the Rouge et Or playing for a Vanier Cup this Saturday.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...ach-candidates

Boatman
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I wouldn't call a guy who still catches pretty well everything thrown his way (plus makes some very tough catches) and who can still run over small defenders, "useless"; you could argue that Lewis being replaced by a much faster young receiver as an everydown slotback might make sense, but they would still have to find one of those and they can't seem to find any real good receivers for their offence (Earnest Jackson bombing there is a head scratcher; and they still deploy the mediocre Giguere). Declan Cross doesn't scare any defenders with his speed and route running, but he can still be a force or good factor on the Argo offence when they get him the ball some out of H-back, plus he can flatten LBs or DBs with his blocking - diversity is huge & under-rated in football/offence IMO. I'll take one big body, bruising, strong hands slotback in my CFL offence, rather than 3 smaller, faster guys who have iffy hands or are afraid of traffic.
    Cross has been one of the most productive H-Backs in the league this year and only a 2nd year player, granted we may not have known the extent of some of his skills had Coombs not got injured. So not sure if he has a role anymore now that Coombs is back. Will the Argos bring Cross back next year!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Stampeders DC DeVone Claybrooks interviews for Alouettes head coaching job
    http://3downnation.com/2017/11/21/al...ead-coach-job/

However,

I trust Herb a lot more than 3down nation, and I hope for Claybrooks sake that if/when the Als request to speak with him, he says no. Montreal is a tire fire, and with Kavis leading the way, IMO a smart person would avoid them like the plague.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    Cross has been one of the most productive H-Backs in the league this year and only a 2nd year player, granted we may not have known the extent of some of his skills had Coombs not got injured. So not sure if he has a role anymore now that Coombs is back. Will the Argos bring Cross back next year!!
    This is probably not the proper thread, but since it's here ... assuming he is headed into free agency (which seems very likely), there's no doubt in my mind the Argos will want Cross back. Obviously price is always a factor, though. He's an extremely useful guy, but not an every-down player in an offence that plays either five receivers or double tights. I would guess Cross wants to be here and will re-sign, but I have been surprised in the past when guys like Gillanders, Dupuis and Robinson departed. I think sometimes H-backs get wooed with promises of a bigger role on offence. It didn't work out that way for those three (if they were in fact given such a promise).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This is probably not the proper thread, but since it's here ... assuming he is headed into free agency (which seems very likely), there's no doubt in my mind the Argos will want Cross back. Obviously price is always a factor, though. He's an extremely useful guy, but not an every-down player in an offence that plays either five receivers or double tights. I would guess Cross wants to be here and will re-sign, but I have been surprised in the past when guys like Gillanders, Dupuis and Robinson departed. I think sometimes H-backs get wooed with promises of a bigger role on offence. It didn't work out that way for those three (if they were in fact given such a promise).
    Hope Cross stays; he's been a bit of a revelation as the season progressed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I also would hate to lose Cross. I also hope they give him a few more running plays next year as he has already shown he is so good at gaining YAC yards.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Kavis Reed denies having spoken to Calgary DC DeVone Claybrooks about Montreal's HC job. Sounds like he's trying to avoid a tampering charge and penalty. He always seems to be creating problems rather than solutions.

“I did not speak to DeVone Claybrooks,” Reed said. “I have not spoken to the Calgary Stampeders for permission to speak with him.”
    Reed was in Calgary, however. He says he was in Edmonton with his family – Reed is a former head coach with the Eskimos – and took the red-eye to Toronto via a connection in Calgary.
    “I was in Edmonton and I flew through Calgary to take the red eye to Toronto,” Reed said. “That’s the extent of me going to Calgary.” ...
    Reed acknowledged that if he had spoken to Claybrooks without permission from both the team and league, it would constitute tampering.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/11/21/ka...ne-claybrooks/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Kyries Hebert has decided to donate his brain for CTE research. Considering how many hard hits he has dished out, he may well be risk of CTE. I also wonder if it is wise for him to keep playing next year, considering his concussion history and the fact that he will be 38 by the end of the year.

Kyries Hebert believes it has been two seasons since he last suffered a concussion. And the veteran Alouettes linebacker, remembering the symptoms he has experienced, hopes there’s no more head trauma in his future.
    “I remember lying in bed and looking one way — and the room spinning. Looking the other way and the room’s shaking. Closing my eyes and seeing thunder and lightning bolts. That was crazy and nerve-racking,” Hebert told the Montreal Gazette. “I do a lot of social media on my phone, but I couldn’t look at it without getting extreme headaches. I was placed in a dark room and wasn’t allowed to look at television or computer screens. I couldn’t do physical activity without being dizzy.
    “It affects your life.”
    The 37-year-old Hebert, the East Division’s outstanding defensive player nominee this season, has suffered two documented concussions — both with the Als in 2015 — in 12 Canadian Football League seasons. But Hebert, who began playing professional football in 2002, believes he suffered two more, at least, in the NFL that weren’t properly diagnosed.
    “Based on what we know now, seeing stars or blurred vision … it’s probably happened 50 times in the last 15 years,” said Hebert, who earlier this week pledged to donate his brain through the Canadian branch of the Concussion Legacy Foundation (CLFC) to support research on Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) and concussions.
    Hebert, who remains under contract to Montreal in 2018 and has vowed he’ll continue playing, suffered a concussion at training camp two years ago when he was blindsided by former teammate Steven Lumbala. Later that season, in an October game against Hamilton, he was concussed again.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...r-cte-research

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Luc Brodeur-Jourdain went from being the last player selected in the 2008 draft and TC cut that year to a winner of the Jake Gaudar Veteran's Trophy, given to the player best demonstrating strength, perseverance, courage, comradeship and community contributions, this year.

Brodeur-Jourdain twice has accompanied fellow CFL players to Afghanistan in support of Canadian troops. He has been active in the community and is a pillar of the team’s Together at School program, encouraging youths to pursue their education. He’s involved with the MIRA Foundation, which pairs disabled individuals with guide dogs, and has participated in Défi-Vision, guiding a visually-impaired race car driver on a track. Brodeur-Jourdain regularly assists local charities and minor football organizations as well.
    He made 97 consecutive starts at centre before suffering a debilitating knee injury at Edmonton late in the 2015 season. But with the Als still in playoff contention, he remarkably played through the injury.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...veterans-award

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Nik Lewis talks on this podcast about brain injuries, the Argos' Grey Cup victory, his future after football, and his decision that if he plays next year it will only be for the Alouettes.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-69...uette-1.927089

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Nik Lewis talks on this podcast about brain injuries, the Argos' Grey Cup victory, his future after football, and his decision that if he plays next year it will only be for the Alouettes.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-69...uette-1.927089
    Would anyone other than the Alouettes want Nik Lewis at this point?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I would not be surprised if the Alouettes let him go. He's had a great career but he was used less and less as the season wore on. In addition, the Als have 21 players 30 or older, nine more than any other team. A major rebuild with youth is in the offing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Do the Alouettes even want him back ?
    Aside from being able to catch a ball, what can Lewis really do out there anymore ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/al...ext-head-coach
    http://3downnation.com/2017/11/29/al...ge-new-regime/

John Muphy as GM and Devone Claybrooks as Head Coach sound good, but Kavis to VP................ isn't that technically a promotion ?
    Seriously how does the guy keep getting promoted ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Fired Ottawa receivers coachTravis Moore and OL Bryan Chiu, who have been contacted by Kavis Reed are likely to be hired by the Als if Devone Claybrooks gets the HC job.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...ettes-sideline