Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Maciocia, Cecchini ushering in new era for Als
    Chris O'Leary Senior Writer cfl.ca January 13, 2020

In his first day on the job, Danny Maciocia looked like he couldn’t have been any more comfortable.

The freshly-hired GM of the Montreal Alouettes called Monday a day that was 18 years in the making. Maciocia grew up in Montreal, a French-Italian kid that fell in love with the game watching Wally Buono and Peter Dalla Riva play for the Alouettes.

In 1996, Maciocia talked then-Als GM Jim Popp into an unpaid coaching role with the team. With his toes in the door, he went on to become the Als’ offensive coordinator by 2001. In 2002, he made the move west to Edmonton and became their head coach in 2005. The Esks won the Grey Cup that year and Maciocia became the director of football operations in 2007, staying with the team as its GM and head coach until 2010.

After a nine-year run as the head coach of the Montreal Carabins — that included a Vanier Cup win in 2014 — Maciocia got the call he’d dreamed of since he’d left town after the turn of the century.

“I’ve been waiting for this for 18 years. I’d like to think I’m battle-tested, I’ve experienced it at many different levels,” Maciocia told a room full of media on Monday, with the Alouettes’ blue and red backdrop behind him.

“It’s time for a different challenge and I’m up to that challenge.”

It’s been a long, difficult journey for both parties involved, really. From the U de M campus, Maciocia has kept a keen eye on the state of the Alouettes. He watched them struggle through the post-Anthony Calvillo years and watched it come under league ownership last season. He was a voice from the periphery throughout last season, offering whatever help he could to the team that he grew up watching as the league tried to find it a suitable owner.

Through last season, he may have been as surprised as anyone else to see the Alouettes find the success that they did under head coach Khari Jones. He took control of the team six days before the start of the regular season after Mike Sherman was abruptly relieved of his duties. The Als had missed the playoffs the previous four years but under Jones, they went 10-8 and hosted the East Semi-Final at Molson Stadium.

Maciocia took the opportunity on Monday to give a full endorsement of his coach. Jones signed a three-year extension with the team before Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern assumed ownership and in turn, before Maciocia was hired as GM and Mario Cecchini was hired as the team’s president.

“I know what the perception is out there, that clearly you want to be aligned (where) the president hires the general manager and the general manager hires the head coach,” Maciocia said. “But when you take a look at what coach Jones had to deal with last year under tremendously difficult circumstances, I don’t see how you don’t give him a three-year deal. I don’t see how you don’t give him the opportunity to lead this football team moving forward.

“He was dealt a bad hand to be quite honest with you and for him to come out on top, I’m surprised he wasn’t named the coach of the year in the CFL. I think he’s worthy. I think we’re lucky to have him in Montreal.

“I’m extremely privileged to have the opportunity to work with him. I’ve known him since 2006, 2007. He’s come to Carabins games the last two years. We’ve had supper together and this all took place all before the month of May. I’m looking forward to it. If the roles had been reversed I don’t think I’d have done it any differently.”

It’s easy to say in January when so little has happened to shape the coming season (free agency, both the CFL draft and the global draft and training camp are all still in front of us), but there was a feeling of completeness at the press conference. Stern, the new owner, sat with Cecchini and Maciocia. Jones sat in the front row, laughing at Stern’s frequent reminders that he wants to win the Grey Cup this year.

After so many years of seeing the Alouettes suffer and with the team turning the corner on the field in 2019, it feels like the organization is at the start of a new, brighter chapter.

Maciocia didn’t want to join in on Stern’s bold promise of a Grey Cup or put a timestamp on any kind of guarantee. The promise he made on Monday was a simple one.

“I’ll never say we’re looking to get back into the Grey Cup in 2022 or 2023,” Maciocia said. “We want to be there this year. Is there work? Absolutely.

“Do we have some issues with the roster? I’m not going to lie to you, I’m going to be transparent. Yes, we do, but is there the willingness to clean it up and make the changes that we need to make to become a competitive team? Absolutely.

“That’s going to be our No. 1 objective, is to be competitive every single week. Once you’re competitive you give yourself a chance and that’s all you want in life, is a chance.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I’m not going to lie to you, I’m going to be transparent.
    Couldn't sound more like "let me be completely frank" Tillman if he was trying to do so.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Demanding, but fascinating. Meet Gary Stern
    Emilie Desgagné montrealalouettes.com January 9, 2020

No doubt many of us had the same reaction when the league revealed the identity of the new owners of the team, Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern: "Well, who is that? "

You are certainly not alone in having grabbed your phone to search for their names, Crawford Steel or S and S Sportsco on Google. I personally did each of these searches, carefully studied my Twitter news feed, and then read almost all of the articles on the subject of team sales. Hours to spy on everything that was said about our new owners so that, in the end, we didn't learn much about them. Ontarians, steel gurus, a father and son-in-law, but still?

Following the announcement, Mr. Stern devoted two full days to his new employees, meeting each of the organization's departments - corporate partnerships, marketing, ticketing. And take my word for it, Mr. Stern, or Gary for the intimate, even if he does not take pleasure in participating in media interviews, he has all the qualities of a good speaker. He is direct, honest, surprisingly charismatic, he knows how to motivate his troops and certainly has not hesitated to express his expectations with regard to the entire staff. Gary wants a healthy organization; both sportingly and financially. We understand that.

Here are 10 things to know about our new and passionate new owner:

1. He dreamed of becoming an educated teacher

When he was in public school, Gary fell in love with the sport.

" I have never been a very good student," he admits. My siblings brought home perfect report cards, while mine talked more about my potential. In all honesty, all I wanted to do was play sports because that's what I liked. And I was good. Sport is competitive and I am competitive. My heroes were my physical education teachers and my coaches. "

Gary's dream was to become like his heroes. He wanted to be able to teach young people the values ​​of healthy habits and teamwork.

2. Yet he chose to follow in the footsteps of his stepfather

While studying at York University, Gary discovered an interest in politics and finance. These subjects, which made him think like never before, eventually pushed him to question his career choice.

“ I began to question my vocation. I wanted to change things and suddenly I was no longer sure that I had taken the right path. "

Then Gary met the love of his life, his wife Julie. He was 21 at the time and, understandably, had to have multiple discussions with his stepfather, Sid Spiegel.

“ I have always found Sid fascinating. Demanding, but fascinating. He invited me to join the family business and convinced me to move to his hometown of Belleville. It was not physical education, it was not the Toronto metropolis in which I had grown up. It was a terrifying decision, but I never regretted taking the leap. Getting out of my comfort zone was my greatest accomplishment. "

After 42 years of doing business with his stepfather, Gary has learned that the hardest decisions are often the most rewarding.

3. Like his stepfather, he is fascinating. Demanding, but fascinating.

" I just want people to believe in our product and be enthusiastic, " said Gary after spending several hours meeting with the staff.

What you need to know is that Gary's energy is fueled by his passion for hard work and he expects those around him to be the same. His ability to listen and retain information is fascinating. The questions and comments that follow are demanding. It demonstrates the rigor that the organization will undoubtedly need to continue to evolve.

“ I always had to prove that I was up to the task and make sure our businesses were profitable. "

From the moment Sid Spiegel entrusted him with the reins of his steel company, Gary understood that he was going to have to do everything in his power to ensure the success of the successful business of which the tandem is proud owner today . Spiegel has not just passed the torch to his son-in-law. Over the years, the two businessmen have built a real partnership based on their boundless dedication. The Alouettes will probably never become the duo's most lucrative project, but the team is expected to be in a better position within two years.

4. He brings ideas to reality

Our owners' three-year plan is quite simple.

Year 1: Nourish the passion of the organization and transmit to each of its members the conviction that they are part of an incredible team. Ah, and win the Gray Cup.

Year 2: Demonstrate that our organization is one for which employees and players are proud to work and that people, in general, respect. Share the enthusiasm that has spread internally with Quebec as a whole. Win the Gray Cup, of course.

Year 3: Flower. And probably win the Gray Cup again. Why not !?

5. He was sincere when he talked about improving our facilities

“ It would be premature to speak of a new stadium. However, it is essential that we have a training center where our offices would also be located. Everyone must be under the same roof. Ideally, this new establishment would be set up in the next two years. "

The health of the organization depends on the health of the players and our communication processes. Currently, the team does not have its own practice area or a weight room. Players often have to travel to the gym, while employees are split between two offices - the first in downtown , the second at the Olympic Stadium . Let's say it's not ideal from an operational point of view. It would certainly be beneficial, in several ways, to bring the whole organization together, like a beautiful big family.

Note that Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern are also real estate investors. Another important string to our bow, perhaps?

6. He has indeed seen the Percival-Molson stadium

Gary's family attended all of his brother's games as a linebacker for the University of Toronto, including those competing at Percival-Molson Stadium . Even today, he keeps fond memories of his stays with us and maintains a close relationship with his elder.

“My brother was appointed to the all-star team while continuing his medical education. I spoke to him yesterday and he reminded me that we had been captain of all of our respective teams. Even if we weren't the most talented, we knew the recipe for victory. We knew how to fight. "

And that's what it takes in the world of football, knowing how to fight.

7. His hobbies are…

Sports! He just loves sports. He played hockey, basketball, volleyball, baseball ... he did almost everything! Sam Etcheverry is his favorite player in the history of the Alouettes, although he claims to have become particularly fond of a certain Wally Buono who has acted as the team's advisor recently. Last season, like many Montrealers, he fell in love with Vernon Adams Jr.

8. He loves the excitement of Montreal

To the point of having started French lessons. At 65, it's not a little beer. His assistant, Kristyn, encourages him to exercise every morning. He admits to finding the process frustrating most of the time, but hey, who really enjoys studying the compound past anyway?

"I think he is more respectful of Francophones than I continue to speak English, rather than massacring their language. I will start by trying to speak French to the employees of my factory in Longueuil. For now, I know how to order a Diet Coke. "

9. He plans to set up a Board of Directors

The organization has not had a functioning Board of Directors for a while, but Gary plans to rectify the situation by leveraging his established network. The group will include influential people from different industries, including one or more women (this is important to mention in our community), all of whom will bring different business opportunities and perspectives.

10. He found its president and its managing director

Well done for reading so far! We don't know more for the moment, however. Stay tuned dear fans, we keep moving, and fast.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Maciocia: This is what I always wanted do do
    Montreal 690 The Montreal Forum Show

Tony Marinaro chats with Alouettes GM Danny Maciocia in studio about coming to Montreal plus a few family surprises

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Cecchini: Need to make Als successful again
    MONTREAL 690 Melnick in the Afternoon

New Alouettes president Mario Cecchini made an in-studio appearance on Melnick in the Afternoon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Montreal has signed their 2019 fourth round pick, Chris Osei-Kusi, who attended TC and then returned to the University of Windsor Lancers where he caught 34 passes for 560 yards.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo WR/KR Mario Alford, who was released by the Toronto in May, has signed a one year extension with the Als. He played in 3 games for Montreal as a returner gaining 218 yards in punt returns with a 24.2 yard average including a 90 yard return and 2 TDs, as well as 117 yards on kickoff returns for a 19.5 yard average.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als have extended Canadians ST/RB Spencer Moore, who was used primarily on STs and as a blocking back, and OL Landon Rice, who played 9 games for Montreal in his seventh season in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Montreal has hired former Bomber and Rider GM Brendan Taman as senior player personnel executive and former assistant GM Tom Gamble of SF 49ers as assistant GM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With the loss of 1,000+ yard power rusher William Stanback, the Als hope that signing James Wilder Jr. will be a good replacement and return to the form he showed in 2017.

And, knowing James Wilder was available after his early release by the Toronto Argonauts, new Als general manager Danny Maciocia acted quickly, signing the bruising 6-foot-3, 232-pounder to a one-year contract on Thursday, probably for a base salary in the $90,000 range.

“We took a look at what’s out there,” Maciocia said. “We researched it a bit. This is definitely someone of interest to us. That’s why we signed him. He’s a big back. There’s a lot of similarities between him and Stanback. He’s 27. I think he has a lot of football left in his body.”
    https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...acks-departure

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als had busy day trading LB Bo Lokombo, releasing WR Devier Posey, QB Antonio Pipkin and DB Tommy Campbell, as well as re-signing Canadians WR Faubert Laussier and kicker Danny Briere, as well as American DB Najee Murray.

The Montreal Alouettes dealt Canadian linebacker/safety Bo Lokombo to the Toronto Argonauts on Friday for a conditional 2020 eighth-round draft pick. The six-foot-two, 225-pound Lokombo appeared in 15 games last season with Montreal, registering 51 tackles, eight special-teams tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble .
    Lokombo, raised in Abbotsford, B.C., after being born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, was drafted in the third round, No. 21 overall, by the B.C. Lions in the 2013 CFL draft.

Later in the day, the Alouettes signed Canadian receiver Felix Faubert-Lussier to a one-year extension and inked Canadian kicker Felix Briere and American defensive back Najee Murray to two-year extensions. Faubert-Lussier, a Montreal native, joined the Alouettes last season after two years with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He caught nine passes for 102 yards with the Als. Briere, from Sainte-Agathe-Des-Monts, Que., spent time with the Als and Saskatchewan Roughriders last year. Murray played four games with Montreal in 2019.

The Alouettes also released receiver DeVier Posey and defensive back Tommie Campbell.
    https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-alouette...pick-1.1435689

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    WR Eugene Lewis, who led the Als with 1100+ receiving yards, has signed a one year extension. He was a critical part of their improved passing game last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Danny Macocia comments on the Lokombo trade and recent cuts, while Tommy Campbell comments on being cut below.

Campbell, Posey and Lokombo all were due significant bonuses on Saturday. Collectively, they easily could have been in line for $85,000, which would have tied Maciocia’s hands heading into training camp while operating under the Canadian Football League’s $5.3-million salary cap. ...

“These are the moves you have to make,” Maciocia said. “Now you know how we’re going to be structured. I’m looking at this long-term and short-term. Look at the top teams … Calgary, Winnipeg. You’ll see how they invest their money. They don’t have high-priced players all over the place. You just have to figure out where you want to put it.”

Tommie Campbell sent a message to the Montreal Gazette on Friday morning, confirming his release before the team made it official. He also confirmed he was due a bonus. “If they wanted me to take a pay cut, all they had to do was pick up the phone and call me,” Campbell said. “I don’t play for money. I do it for the love of the game.” Later on Twitter he wrote: “All good. Don’t trip over a dollar trying to get to a dime. … It’s only one Tommie Campbell.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als have released WR/KR Shakeir Ryan, who had 691 return yards in seven games last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Alouette coaches answer questions about the upcoming season below including what kind of RB they want to replace Stanback, managing higher expectations after the successful 2019 season and the future of Canadian QB Hugo Richard.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/202...h-the-coaches/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Alouette coaches answer questions about the upcoming season below including what kind of RB they want to replace Stanback, managing higher expectations after the successful 2019 season and the future of Canadian QB Hugo Richard.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/202...h-the-coaches/

Be interestin' to see if Wilder will take the Als RB job and be that big, powerful back they are looking for; i think they can find better, but the Widler of his few big games Argo season would be nice to have.

Also very interesting to see if Hugo Richard will get a real look to compete for the #2 job or even #3 - Pipkin gone and little doubt in my mind that Richard has more QB talent than Shiltz; maybe Maciocia will really be in his corner to push for him, but i'll believe it when i see it.

Why would they just cut Tommy Campbell when they could have reached out to him and kept him at a pay-cut (if Campbell is to be believed there?) - not smart by Maciocia if this indeed the case; Lokombo let go to save buck$ and when they still have Loffler at safety ? - makes some sense i guess.

Als really need to re-build their D-Line IMO and Adrian Tracy at DE was a good start there IMO; they might think of drafting McGill DT Andrew S-Spaulding (Q D player of the year) and give him a shot to add to their D-line, along with FA Quebec guy signings David Menard & Junior Luke from the Lions - good moves IMO. Could easily go with 2 NI starters on the D-line (still have former draft picks Banner & J-S Blanc available at DE) - but i'll believe Maciocia showing a lot faith in Canadian talent overall with playing time when i see it too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The new ownership had decided to eliminate its cheerleading squad for financial reasons, but after being hit by strong criticism from fans the team backed down. Football without cheerleading - not the best way to sell tickets.

“I’m happy and overwhelmed,” said Annie Larouche, who coaches the team and is also the director of the Als’ foundation and community relations. “I’m relieved. At the same time, I’m just happy (the organization) listened to our fans. It means a lot to me.”...

The Als have lost millions of dollars recently. It’s no secret the new owners want to restructure the business office, shed expenses — and probably employees as well — in an attempt to make the organization profitable in the near future. ...

“I knew, if we were to cut the team, there would be a reaction. But I never expected something that big,” said Larouche, an Als front-office employee for 24 years. “It’s a wave of pure love. I was deeply touched by it.”

The cheerleading team consists of 32 members — 16 dancers and 16 who perform acrobatic stunts. Of the 32, 26 are female. Each member receives $100 per game. The Als had 11 home games last season, including exhibition and playoffs. Some cheerleaders also make community appearances, augmenting their income. While Larouche couldn’t confirm the team again will consist of 32 members, she said tryouts for the 2020 season will be held on Feb. 29 following two dance-prep classes, Feb. 17 and Feb. 24.
    https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...e-of-pure-love

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als have signed three American DBs: Kevin Fogg, who played seven games for the Argos last year after three years with Winnipeg; Bryan Blunt, who was previously on the the Washington Redskins roster, and Devron Davis, who had previously been with the BC Lions and the Baltimore Ravens in camps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Als have signed former Argo RB Tyrell Sutton, who played much of his career in Montreal (2013-2018) before playing for BC in 2018 and Hamilton for four games plus the playoffs, where he rushed for 86 yards in the Grey Cup. The Argos cut Sutton in July 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Montreal has released a statement about WR Quan Bray who has been arrested with NFL OL Greg Robinson for allegedly having 157 pounds of marijuana in their possession. His loss after a fine rookie season could hurt the Als offence seriously, especially with all the other financial cutbacks the team faces under new ownership.

We are in the process of gathering as much information as possible as we take this mater very seriously. We plan to make a definitive decision as soon as possible.

National Football League offensive lineman Greg Robinson and Bray were arrested with 157 pounds of marijuana, according to United States authorities. The 26-year-old Bray signed a two-year contract with Montreal in May 2019.

Bray caught 58 passes for 818 yards and six touchdowns in 15 games with the Als last season. The Alouettes are currently scheduled to pay Bray the minimum CFL salary in 2020 — $65,000. That doesn’t include any off-season bonus money.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/02/20/a...n-bray-arrest/