Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Apparently the Alouettes are dressing 8 Quarterbacks tonight!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    And three Canadian QBs played for them including two CIS ones.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    And three Canadian QBs played for them including two CIS ones.
    I think OVA just did a keg stand.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Yeah, that was a stupid decision. They need to get Bridge, Cato and Adams as many reps as possible.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Yeah, that was a stupid decision. They need to get Bridge, Cato and Adams as many reps as possible.
    I was surprised that Glenn played more than a quarter. I would not have brought him along at all or used him for a maximum of two series if it was determined that he needed to play. The one QB who didn't play last night was another promising youngster in Tajh Boyd. Bridge only played two or three series as well.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL Philippe Gagnon has had a steep learning curve in TC.

Last week marked the beginning of the first professional training camp for offensive lineman Philippe Gagnon. With his sights set on a spot in the line-up, the Alouettes’ first choice in the 2016 CFL draft has an opportunity to show off his skills to the coaching staff during camp as well as the two upcoming pre-season games.
    He feels privileged to be attending his first CFL training camp. “I am very happy to be here. I have always had a very competitive nature, and I would like to have a spot on the team, even though the calibre of play is better when compared to the university level. As well, the playbook and the techniques are not the same, so there is a lot of learning that I have to do in a short period of time. It’s really a terrific challenge!” said Gagnon.
    The 311 pound player immediately saw the big differences between the university level and the professional level. “Everything is very fast. The speed of the game and the players are not the same as in university. It is all much quicker! We also have to learn the playbook and adjust to any corrections that the coaching staff give us. Fortunately, I have been able to get help from the veterans who have the best interests of the team at heart. And the other linemen like Kristian Matte and Phillip Blake have been able to answer my questions,” said Gagnon, a former guard at the Université Laval.
    http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2016...fic-challenge/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    No doubt. Maybe Popp is losing his mind?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    No doubt. Maybe Popp is losing his mind?
    I don't have any other explanation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Despite the loss to Winnipeg, the Als feel they had some positives in terms of performance and the future.

Since it was an exhibition game, does it really matter the Alouettes squandered a 13-3 lead, Winnipeg scoring 33 unanswered points in a 36-13 victory Wednesday night at Investors Group Field?
    All it means is the Blue Bombers rookies — for now at least — are better than Montreal’s. Play the game at Molson Stadium, and perhaps the outcome is reversed.
    Since it was an exhibition game, does it really matter the Als were penalized 17 times for 144 yards or turned the ball over four times — albeit twice on downs? Defensive-back Raymon Taylor, who struggled mightily, was called for pass interference. Greg Henderson, another rookie in the secondary, had the daily double, pass interference and illegal contact. Linebacker Nick Temple took a pass interference call but also was active, recording five tackles.
    Will any of them even still be with the team when the regular-season begins in two weeks?
    On the other hand, starting quarterback Kevin Glenn completed 14 of 19 passes for 140 yards and a touchdown. That matters, even though it was an exhibition game. He was replaced by Rakeem Cato, who completed all but one of his six attempts, for 46 yards and a touchdown on his opening drive. That matters, too. Cato had what’s expected to be the Als’ starting offensive line blocking for him, but his receivers were the second-stringers.
    “We’re in a much better place than we were last year — starting with Kevin Glenn,” said slotback Nik Lewis, on the receiving end of Glenn’s four-yard touchdown pass. “I think he missed one throw, to S.J. (Green) when he ran a great route. Other than that, I think he did well. I think we’ll be okay, and we’ll keep our defence off the field more.
    “To have him as a veteran … to lead this offence … he garners the respect. There’s not going to be a lot of people yelling at him for the ball,” Lewis added. “If we run the amount of plays we did in the first quarter, everybody’s going to be happy.”
    The Als controlled the ball for nearly 10 minutes in the opening quarter and ran 24 plays. By the time Glenn and the starters departed, the team had run 39 plays. He took them on a 10-play drive in the first quarter to the Winnipeg 31 before Brandon Rutley was stopped on a third-down gamble. Undaunted, Glenn then engineered a 15-play, 88-yard touchdown drive — although it took Montreal four tries from the Bombers’ eight-yard line before scoring.
    Of the starting receivers, only Kenny Stafford failed to catch a pass — and he would have scored the touchdown that ultimately went to Lewis had he run the correct route. Green caught five passes for 43 yards, while Duron Carter had three receptions for 25 yards. Lewis had a pair and even Samuel Giguère, often overlooked in 2015, had two catches.
    “The biggest thing was to come out and try to get some rhythm as an offence in a game-type atmosphere. I think we accomplished that,” said Glenn, who turns 37 on Sunday. “We wanted to see how we did against another defence. I think we did a good job.
    “I think we did move the ball well. We moved the ball around to different receivers and kind of got everyone involved. It’s just building. We have a lot of guys who understand.”
    General manager and head coach Jim Popp certainly saw what was required before he started to substitute players.
    “We moved the ball. We had 30-some plays. We ran a lot of plays — whether we got the ball in the end zone or not. That was good,” he said. “We turned the ball over and gave them some touchdowns … kept drives alive with penalties and let them back in the game when we were up 13-3.
    “But Glenn executed the offence. We completed a number of passes.”
    It was a surprise to everyone but Popp and his offensive coaches when Cato — and not second-year Canadian Brandon Bridge — replaced Glenn. But Popp continued to maintain the Als don’t have a depth chart at training camp when it comes to quarterbacks or any players.
    Still, Cato had said — up until Tuesday — he wasn’t scheduled to play. Instead, it was Tajh Boyd who drew the short straw among the pivots, making the trip to stand on the sideline, in uniform.
    Cato denied he sent any profound message to management. “Just understand that I can really play football,” he said. “I want to be here and play for them for a long time.”
    The game also marked the first time what’s expected to be the Als’ starting offensive line faced another team — and the results were lukewarm, at best. Glenn was sacked twice, Cato once, with the starters on the field. Early in the game, Jamaal Westerman breezed untouched past Jacob Ruby, attempting to replace Josh Bourke at the all-important left-tackle position.
    “I think we did pretty well,” said Ruby, a first-round (eighth overall) draft pick in 2015 who started the final game last season. “For this group, that was the first real game we’ve played together. It’s only going to get better. We’re all comfortable playing beside each other.”
    Ruby believes he’s going to start the season at left tackle. “I definitely do. I think these guys feel comfortable with me there. I feel comfortable working with them.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...loss-wednesday

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The CFL continues its tradition of weird decisions and scheduling.

The Canadian Football League, historically, has been known for making some decisions that, from a distance, appear bizarre to say the least.
    Welcome to the league’s exhibition schedule, which begins Wednesday night with the Alouettes meeting the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Investors Group Field (8 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio-690).
    Not only are the Als – and Bombers, for that matter – forced to play three days before other teams, and only after nine training-camp practice days, Montreal players and management are being forced to fly halfway across the country.
    Of course, such anomalies in the schedule are hardly unique. This Monday, on five days’ rest, the Bombers conclude their exhibition schedule at Ottawa. It’s the Redblacks’ first exhibition encounter. After that game, Winnipeg has a long break before it begins the regular season at home – again against the Als – on June 24.
    Montreal general manager and head coach Jim Popp said Wednesday’s game comes with an expenditure of approximately $100,000. That’s a lot of money for a meaningless game that serves as an audition for the rookies.
    “One team from the East Division has to do it every year. It would be much simpler if we kept things in our own division,” Popp said. “Let the round-robin be out west. It would cut a lot of costs. This is an expensive deal for our team that nobody else in the league has to go through. Financially, it would be much easier if we played Ottawa back-to-back. At some point these things need to be discussed.
    “It’s strange you’re going on the road to play a team. Two weeks later, you open your season and go on the road there again. I don’t think that was thought out very well.”
    Ya think?
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...es-notebook-24

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Boris Bede makes a 57 yd FG in TC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Gagnon, Koster and Carter comment on the first preseason game and how it impacts the rest of their TC.

Philippe Gagnon’s first professional game
    Philippe Gagnon was quite pleased with his performance against the Blue Bombers. “I was very happy! I know that I did some very good things. Obviously, there are aspects of my game that need work. However, after studying the game film, I believe they are things that are easy to correct,” said the offensive lineman.
    Philippe felt like he was on cloud nine when he put on his Alouettes uniform for the first time in Winnipeg. “I still can’t believe it! That being said, I had to keep both feet on the ground and get ready as I normally would, not feeling too much pressure, even though I knew the Winnipeg defensive line was strong. It was really only after the game that I realized I was a member of the Montreal Alouettes,” said the team’s newest recruit.
    For the rest of training camp, Philippe wants to continue along the same lines as he did for the first part of camp. “I am approaching the second half of camp just as I did the first half, meaning to be ready each day, to give it my all and to improve as best I can. I also want to learn as much as possible from the coaching staff and to have a spot in the line-up by the end of camp,” Gagnon said.
    The Alouettes rookie is also looking forward to play at McGill’s stadium. “I am really excited to get on the field. I’m trying hard not to think too much about it and to concentrate on the task at hand. That being said, as we get closer and closer to the home opener, I’m thinking more and more about it. I know that members of my family as well as a lot of my friends will be there,” said the L’Ancienne-Lorette native.
    Jared Koster’s first CFL game
    The linebacker’s first CFL game ended with five tackles and a quarterback sack. As the game went on, Koster became more comfortable: “During the game, I knew I was playing well and that really helped me with my confidence on the field,” Koster said.
    Jared will devote the second half of training camp to preparing for the second pre-season game. “For the second half of camp, we’ll continue to work on improving upon what we did during the first game. For the second pre-season game at home against Toronto, our fans will see a team that really has the bit between their teeth!” said the linebacker.
    The June 17 pre-season game in Montreal is one that Koster circled on his calendar. “I am really looking forward to the game. I feel honoured to be part of the Alouettes. Montreal is a beautiful city and our fans are incredible. It’s a great situation!” said Koster.
    Duron Carter’s return to the Alouettes
    The game against Winnipeg was Duron’s first since returning to the Alouettes and after the game, he confirmed that pre-season games are a way to get ready for the regular season. “We’re always learning and working to get better during pre-season games so that we are ready for the regular season.”
    Duron is looking forward to his return to McGill’s stadium. “I’m really excited to play again in Montreal before my friends and fans on June 17. And I am also happy to put on an Alouettes jersey with my old number!” said the Alouettes’ wide receiver.
    Carter sees only positives for 2016: “It’s going to be a very good season for us. We have a great team, the best in the CFL. We want to win the Grey Cup this year.”
    http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2016...&utm_campaign=

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Chandler Jones continues to fight for a WR job in TC.

We know Chandler Jones has no shortage of patience and persistence. The wide receiver spent all of last season on the Alouettes’ practice roster and might have been the only one in that capacity not to dress for a game.
    And we know the Als think enough of Jones to invite him back to training camp this year. And we learned during last Wednesday’s exhibition game in Winnipeg that Jones can make plays. Despite having three Blue Bombers defenders in the vicinity, he caught a 12-yard touchdown reception from Rakeem Cato in the second quarter.
    What remains to be determined is whether the 24-year-old Jones, only 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, is ready to take the next step in his pro career and dress for a game? Or even whether he’ll still be around when the Als declare their roster this weekend?
    “I’m confident in myself and my abilities,” Jones said following Montreal’s practice at Bishop’s University, knowing the team must release up to 10 players by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, pairing its roster to 65. “I’ll be ready for tomorrow and, if it happens today, it happens.
    “As a player you’re always nervous about things like that — especially in my career. I’ve been cut three times now. When cuts come around it’s something I don’t look forward to. I know it happens and it’s part of the process.”
    Jones has enjoyed a solid camp and clearly is more at ease and somewhat more comfortable during his second act with the Als. Although Montreal scored only two touchdowns against Winnipeg and was held without a point in the second half Jones caught three passes for 25 yards. Only S.J. Green had more receptions for the team.
    “I think he has a tremendous amount of upside,” Als receivers coach Jacques Chapdelaine said. “He did some good things in the Winnipeg game. We’re hoping to manufacture opportunities for him again in this game.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...with-alouettes

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Chip Cox, despite being 33, is still a major cog in the Als defence.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...ity-on-defence

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Als TC on Day 17:

Clash of the Titans
    Alouettes fans who have attended practices since the beginning of training camp have had the privilege to witness something that won’t happen during the regular season: wide receiver Duron Carter and cornerback Mitchell White battling each other for every inch of space and every ball thrown their way. Both players excel at their respective positions, and they face each other day in and day out in both one-on-one drills and simulated play. The Alouettes are the beneficiaries of these battles, as both players push themselves to become better every day.

“It brings out great competition, said Carter. “Having us go up against each other brings out the best in one another.” The good news for Alouettes fans is that the players will be teaming up on game days in 2016.
    Stepping up
    With the minor injury suffered by Kenny Stafford during Monday’s practice, first-year Alouettes receiver Mike Davis stepped in as his replacement. The former Texas Longhorn standout is looking to make the best of his opportunity. “You never know what can happen. You’ve got to be ready, and my mindset is to come out here every day, compete and make sure I get my assignments done.”

Davis is also doing his best to soak in as much information as he can from veteran S.J. Green and roommate Nik Lewis. “I talk to them all the time, always trying to find ways to make myself better every time I come out on the field. You’re never perfect, so I’m always asking questions to see what I can do better.” Time will tell if Davis is ready to make the leap, but early signs are pointing in the right direction, as he made a number of plays at practice on Tuesday morning.
    Rapid Fire
    With the regular season inching closer, situational play calls and short yardage plays have been heavily emphasized during these last few practices. Tyrell Sutton took advantage of his numerous reps, finding holes in the defense and running with power and conviction… S.J. Green, Nik Lewis and Duron Carter were their usual selves on Tuesday, as Kevin Glenn found each of them several times throughout the day, especially during two-minute drills… The catch of the day belonged to Duron Carter once again, as he leaped over his defender and attacked the ball at its highest point before coming down with it on the near sideline… On the defensive side of things, C.J. Moore had an impressive day, batting down balls and intercepting Rakeem Cato during simulated play.
    http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2016...&utm_campaign=

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Not surprised at all by the Boyd release - his accuracy issues weren't getting any better. A little surprised to see Ellis released - he's a good player IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Bridge did not play and Cato did - and apparently is impressing in TC. Doubt they are going to cut Adams who they just traded a 1st round draft choice for. Bridge cut or stashed on IR?

Als would be wise to give the reins to Cato and get rid of old, mediocre Glenn - they aren't going anywhere except last in the East if he is their starter all year, IMO. They should live with 3 young QBs with great potential - give all of Cato, Bridge and Adams some chances and whoever wins out with most production, roll with - until next up happens.

Their D is good in places - except in the D-backfield, which has lots of question marks = not a good thing in a mostly pass league. Wayyyy over-rated there IMO. I get a kick out of CFL TV commentators constantly lauding the Als D - the one that looked like a joke in being shredded by Burris' record passing performance last year - sorry, very good Ds just do not go to sleep like that. Call them decent to average or with potential - "good" or "great" = ummm, no and not even close.

Bede is an excellent young dual kicker though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

Their D is good in places - except in the D-backfield, which has lots of question marks = not a good thing in a mostly pass league. Wayyyy over-rated there IMO. I get a kick out of CFL TV commentators constantly lauding the Als D - the one that looked like a joke in being shredded by Burris' record passing performance last year - sorry, very good Ds just do not go to sleep like that. Call them decent to average or with potential - "good" or "great" = ummm, no and not even close.

Bede is an excellent young dual kicker though.
    Didn't they play that game on 3 days rest coming off a road game? If that was the case, the 1985 Bears would have gotten shredded as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Didn't they play that game on 3 days rest coming off a road game? If that was the case, the 1985 Bears would have gotten shredded as well.
    They had played the Sunday in Regina and then the Thursday night in Ottawa so that was a very tough schedule. They also had several injuries for that Ottawa game as well. That game truly was an aberration for the Als.