Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

What's Happening on 2016 CFL Draft Day

With less than three weeks to go until Draft Day on Tuesday May 10th, its time to discuss this year's Draft Day.

Should the Riders trade their number one overall draft choice? Should the Argos go after it? Do you risk losing out with a Shomari Williams repeat? Do you try for it hoping you get a Pierre Lavertu gem? Are you willing to take a risk on player who goes to a NFL mini camp and makes it whether it seemed likely or even unlikely, as happened with Cory Greenwood?

When the clock starts ticking for the first overall pick in the CFL Draft, don’t be surprised if it’s someone other than the Saskatchewan Roughriders selecting that pick.The Riders are looking for two things: a player who could contribute right away and more depth for their national talent.
    I think they’re more likely to find those things by trading the first overall pick than holding on to it.
    But Assistant Vice President of Player Personnel John Murphy told me this past week on ‘The Green Zone’ there are many factors that will weigh in on whether the Riders pick first overall or trade away that pick for a stock load of picks later or maybe a player who can contribute right away.

For the Riders to know for sure what they will do will depend on the players they would be interested in at the top of the list. The Riders would like to have that number one pick in Regina, ready to sign a contract and slap on a Rider hat the instant his name is called out as the first overall. The threat of the NFL mini-camps are real, solely due to college players in Canada getting better and better and getting more interest from the four-down league. ...

Vice President/GM/Head Coach Chris Jones, Murphy and the conglomerate of scouts working for the team will have to work their sources to gauge the NFL interest of those top players in this draft who don’t get drafted later this week in the NFL. They’ll also have to speak to the players and their agents to see where their head is at ahead of the May 10 CFL Draft. At the end of all this work, if they don’t have one of their top players ready to commit to the CFL or he’s been drafted or added to an NFL mini-camp roster, the three or four teams that have already been trying to work out a deal with the Riders are likely to get a deal done.

In recent history, the Ottawa REDBLACKS were able to stabilize their offensive line instantly by trading the first overall pick for Jon Gott. The eventual number one, Pierre Lavertu, however, has turned into a CFL Divisional All-Star in just his second season.

In 2010, it was the Riders who were looking for a difference maker at number one and traded two first round picks (second and fourth overall) to Toronto for the first and eighth overall picks.

Shomari Williams became a Rider and never discovered the potential in the pros he showed out of Queen’s University.
    That history will also weigh on the mind of the Riders brain trust.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/20/nye-why...first-overall/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following article discusses why drafting in the CFL is so problematic and also discusses each team's draft needs.

Here’s a broader explanation of the unique elements that make the CFL Draft so tricky to navigate.
    1. Teams rarely draft for positional need. Very few players eligible in the CFL Draft are ready to step in and have a dramatic impact as rookies. Far more likely is that they will earn their stripes on the practice roster or special teams, hopefully working their way into becoming starters within one to three seasons. That’s why drafting the best available players is the guiding principle for most selections - especially those beyond the first round. In the NFL, teams use the draft to address specific needs. In the CFL, it’s more of a long-range development project for teams to build the depth of their Canadian talent for down the road.
    2. Teams have to figure out which players are likely to wind up getting opportunities in the NFL. The fact that the NFL Draft takes place the week before the CFL make its selections critical to providing Canadian teams with some a sense of a player’s value south of the border. A player taken in the opening few rounds of the NFL Draft is usually going to be off limits for CFL teams, unless they want to take a flyer with a late-round pick as a kind of lottery ticket. The tricky part comes when a player is a late-round NFL pick or free-agent signing. In that instance, a CFL team could pick a very good player and have him as early as July or August. Or it might never see him. A long time ago, the Ottawa Renegades (remember them?) drafted a defensive lineman from the University of Manitoba named Israel Idonije, who had inked a free-agent contract with Cleveland. The Browns cut him, but the Chicago Bears picked him up and Idonije went on to a have a 10-year NFL career, never playing a down in Canada after leaving Manitoba.
    3. Evaluating players requires the ability to compare apples and oranges. There’s no disputing the significant disparity in level of competition between the upper reaches of NCAA football in the U.S. and the collegiate game in Canada. As such, a player who might dominate at the Canadian university level may look ordinary facing NCAA competition. Or he could be a diamond in the rough, a player whose potential won’t be unlocked until he faces better competition as a pro. Good scouting in the CFL requires the ability to judge what you see against one level of competition and measure it against what is seen by players at a different level.
    4. Not every player available wants to have a career in professional football. In most pro sports, where players are being offered multi-million dollar signing bonuses, there’s little concern about wasting a draft pick on a player who chose to forego professional sports for a traditional career. But in the CFL, where the minimum salary is just $52,000, players will occasionally opt to go down other career paths and leave their football days behind at graduation. There have been plenty of prospects selected over the years who couldn’t be convinced to pursue a future in professional football when other career opportunities were available to them.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-draft-primer-w...-need-1.450557

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following article discusses the prime need of each team. However, teams often don't draft for their greatest need because depending on a National rookie to perform at a high level is unlikely and because teams are likely to plug big holes with Internationals while waiting for Nationals to develop, if the Nationals are even allowed to try for that position on a particular team. I agree with the assessment that the Argos' greatest need is tightening their pass defence, but I expect them to focus on Internationals rather than draftees to improve that. They have already improved by hiring Rich Stubler whose bend but don't break defence has been so good at preventing scoring

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/19/room-im...key-team-2016/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    4. Not every player available wants to have a career in professional football.
    Must be a difficult thing for CFL execs in evaluating many prospects since, unlike down south, CIS players are usually more student than athlete.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm pretty sure players are getting drafted on CFL Draft Day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I'm pretty sure players are getting drafted on CFL Draft Day.
    Yes, & in addition there will be players who live with the disappointment of not being drafted as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former CFLer Mike Abou-Mechrek discusses what goes into selections for the upcoming draft.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...l-league-draft

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    "but if you watch a CIS game it will be hard not to notice the calibre and speed of the play — or lack thereof.
    As a player who excelled and was drafted out of the Canadian college ranks, when I arrived at my first CFL training camp I thought I was in the wrong place."

Hopefully this guy never walks by OVA on the street or he might get slapped upside the head.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    "but if you watch a CIS game it will be hard not to notice the calibre and speed of the play — or lack thereof.
    As a player who excelled and was drafted out of the Canadian college ranks, when I arrived at my first CFL training camp I thought I was in the wrong place."

Hopefully this guy never walks by OVA on the street or he might get slapped upside the head.
    LOL. He's been converted into a GOB.

This has been my biggest argument on the subject. That is why you can't just look at a players stats and automatically assume he's got pro potential.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    To see the draft order on any of the seven rounds click below then click the Round number at the top of the screen.

http://www.tsn.ca/2016-cfl-draft-order-1.449779

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    LOL. He's been converted into a GOB.

This has been my biggest argument on the subject. That is why you can't just look at a players stats and automatically assume he's got pro potential.
    So, let me guess - that only applies to lowly CIS/Canadian players, but it never gets mentioned for young American players coming into the pros - who are all superstar gob approved talent who have been playing at NFL level in their college ball - and are just ready to be handed starting CFL jobs? The condescending attitude towards Canadian talent IS, IMO, an ingrained part of the CFL gob system - sorry bout that AV; and CFL approved "commentators" like Dustin Junk are like trained seals in their zeal to bark out this wisdom. Gee, who will the Argos 7 only NI starters be, and woe the ratio problem to find them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    To see the draft order on any of the seven rounds click below then click the Round number at the top of the screen.

http://www.tsn.ca/2016-cfl-draft-order-1.449779

Thanks for that link jerry - there will probably be some draft time deals that change some of that order ?

But - who really cares about the CFL draft; we're talking woefully unprepared for the CFL players here - poorly trained and lacking "arm strength" or enough football skills. CFL gobs are forced by that nuisance ratio thingy to pick some of these guys to fill-out their rosters with "depth" players, back-ups, long-range "projects" and special teamers; maybe the Argos can pick another decent long-snapper project this draft. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    So, let me guess - that only applies to lowly CIS/Canadian players, but it never gets mentioned for young American players coming into the pros - who are all superstar gob approved talent who have been playing at NFL level in their college ball - and are just ready to be handed starting CFL jobs? The condescending attitude towards Canadian talent IS, IMO, an ingrained part of the CFL gob system - sorry bout that AV; and CFL approved "commentators" like Dustin Junk are like trained seals in their zeal to bark out this wisdom. Gee, who will the Argos 7 only NI starters be, and woe the ratio problem to find them.

No OV. But we've mentioned on here many times that it's difficult to judge a player's true abilities when almost half the league games are decided by 30 or more points. You're the one that always puts the patriotic slant on things. Same goes for US div II and III players. They are behind Div I players when it comes to competing for
    jobs in camp.

Canadian coaches, personnel guys and players say this, but I guess you know better.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    No OV. But we've mentioned on here many times that it's difficult to judge a player's true abilities when almost half the league games are decided by 30 or more points. You're the one that always puts the patriotic slant on things. Same goes for US div II and III players. They are behind Div I players when it comes to competing for
    jobs in camp.

Canadian coaches, personnel guys and players say this, but I guess you know better.
    Guilty as charged for sticking up for Canadian football talent; if that makes me "patriotic", then whatever. If you think that also means I "know better",then good for you too.

I believe pretty well everybody gets the idea that it's a big step up to the pros from amateur ranks, and that some top college ball talent is not going to necessarily be good enough for or pan out in pro ball (LOTS of examples of top Div I ball talent not making the NFL either - Heisman or Outland Trophy winners for example). Lots of top CIS talent does not make the CFL and in some cases do not even get a try-out look. Pro rosters are limited in size and in the CFL there are only so many spots for Canadian players (GOBs always maximize the number of imports on the roster and go with the minimum number of NIs).

Just not sure I get the need for some CFL commentators to constantly trot out condescending or dismissive sermons about Canadian football talent (usually framed in how inferior CIS ball is); the same types who are usually crying or whining about CFL "ratio problems" and the lack of Canadian talent for the CFL. GOBs want no part of Canadians playing QB or D-Half in their league, and are usually stuck in their pre-determined mind-set about Canadian players on their rosters - seeing only 7 NIs as starters (as they have to per the ratio - that CFL gobs have managed to change to allow for more American players and less Canadians playing). NI players take years to "develop" and aren't ready to play. Canadian players do not get to compete at certain positions (that varies somewhat depending on the CFL team) because those positions are set aside for import players.

If you're good with the above mind-set and attitude towards Canadian talent and it's application in the big pro league in Canada, AND the constant negative spin by some towards Canadian players, that's just swell AV - to each his own. And as I said before - it's part & parcel IMO of the CFL and it's decision makers' thinking, AND this biased attitude gets perpetuated by frequent repetition in the media or by other CFL "commentators.

I don't agree with that standard party-line schtick / think there's LOTS of good Canadian talent, a lot of it quite under-rated, who can play in the C(ANADIAN)FL. Dig ? You do appreciate varying viewpoints on these type forums, or no ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Thanks for that link jerry - there will probably be some draft time deals that change some of that order ?
    I suspect they will change the listed order as trades occur.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still don't understand what a GOB is. At first I just thought it was certain American coaches. Now it seems like anyone currently employed by a CFL team is a Gob. Heck, even some CIS coaches are Gob's.
    Could someone please explain to me what it is ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I still don't understand what a GOB is. At first I just thought it was certain American coaches. Now it seems like anyone currently employed by a CFL team is a Gob. Heck, even some CIS coaches are Gob's.
    Could someone please explain to me what it is ?
    Somebody on this site had nicely summed up in a short sentence, my idea of what a G(ood)O(le)B(oy) is (no, not the Good Ole Boys from the Blues Brothers, but the CFL version); can't recall who it was and the exact wording of that summation. Nothing to do with birth certificate and everything to do with standard party line CFL groupthinking and practice. And IMO pretty well anyone employed by a CFL team or those with jobs covering/reporting on the CFL had better adopt GOB ways if they want to keep their job - though I believe there could be some room for some heretics or rebels there (might have to start close to the top of a CFL team - owner or GM say ?).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The complexity of what goes into deciding whether or not to draft a player in a particular round is illustrated by the Taylor Loftier situation. As the following article notes, Wally Buono really likes what Loffler brings to the game. However, Buono already has a couple of safeties, including National free agent signee Mike Edem. How much will that influence whether or when drafts Taylor. Loffler, on the other hand, has been invited to the Giants a three day rookie camp, quite possibly reducing his CFL draft position and thus potentially his CFL salary. The fact that Loftier has both played US college ball for Boise State and CIS football for UBC also impacts his situation.

“He’s a very good athlete. And he’s got NFL size — 6-3, 215,” Buono said of Loffler. ...
    In the aftermath of Saturday’s NFL draft, Loffler received a phone call from the New York Giants, inviting the free agent to a three-day rookie camp which starts Thursday at their training facility in New Jersey. ...
    “I can’t get too excited,” Loffler admitted. “I have to prove myself, to show that I’m good enough to be at that level. It definitely complicates my situation (in the CFL draft). But I understand it’s a business. Whatever happens happens. They’ve given me a chance, so I’ll just go with it.”
    Having replaced serviceable Chris Rwabukamba with Eric Fraser at safety last year, Buono cast a wide net in CFL free agency, snagging nine players, including Mike Edem, yet another safety. The possibility of drafting Loffler, who has hovered around the top 10 prospects list for the May 10 CFL draft, would seem to be an exercise in redundancy. But Buono thinks differently. “You could have two good safeties,” he said. “He’s also a guy you could move around to play different positions.”
    With the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, Buono is more likely now to consider an offensive lineman, such as Philippe Gagnon, who won the strongest man competition at the CFL combine, or Laval teammate Charles Vaillancourt, yet another CIS prospect headed to Giants rookie camp.
    Loffler excelled at the CFL combine in March, showing impressive one-on-one cover skills, despite being the biggest defensive back among the group. Inexplicably, he dropped from No. 9 to No. 11 in the final rankings of the CFL Scouting Bureau a month later. “It is what it is,” he admitted. “I had a good combine and I know the (B.C.) Lions really did like me. In one mock draft, it had them taking me. It really just depends.”
    http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...offler-to-camp

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The CFL draft has been expanded to eight rounds thanks to the increasing level of Canadian talent.

The CFL has expanded its draft from seven rounds to eight, starting with this year's event.
    The 2016 CFL draft will be held Tuesday evening.
    "With the emerging Canadian football talent across all levels, general managers across the CFL agreed that expanding the draft would be beneficial to the league," Glen Johnson, senior vice-president, football, said in a statement.
    The CFL draft has consisted of seven rounds since 2013.
    TSN will broadcast at least the first round live Tuesday night from 7-8 p.m. ET. The remainder will be streamed live on TSN GO.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/04...ection-process

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level