Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Apparently none of all those CFL draft prospect / CIS players invited to the Giants mini-camp was offered a contract = good news for the CFL.
    Moving the CFL draft day further away from the NFL draft and the mini-camps has allowed this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Luc Mullinder discusses the Riders in the draft below.

As we countdown the hours to the 2016 CFL Draft, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, with the first overall pick, are on the clock. Riderville.com’s Luc Mullinder will break down what is available at the top end of the draft. Today is his intro and insight with Monday breaking down the defence and on Tuesday morning, he will break down the offence. The last two pieces will have game film and photos of all of the prospects mentioned. Lets hand it off to Luc now ....
    http://www.riderville.com/2016/05/08/66166/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's looking more like McEwen will be in camp here. If he was going to sign with an NFL team, I think it would have happened by now. Priority free-agent signing season is pretty well over. I suppose some teams might have kept him on the back-burner while they saw what they had at mini-camp, but if he hasn't signed by now with someone, I'm choosing to see it as a pleasant surprise, with cautious optimism we'll get him after all.
    Odd that no NFL team brought McEwen in for even a mini-camp look. I wonder why not.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Odd that no NFL team brought McEwen in for even a mini-camp look. I wonder why not.

I think he went to an NFL mini-camp last year? - but he did get the extra look via the Shrine game this year; maybe he didn't do enough for further NFL attention?

Anyways - potential good news for the Argos; and I hope they have a good idea if he will sign/report before the draft this Tuesday; IMO - would greatly mitigate the need for going O-line with the top pick; McEwen, Watman, plus Sewell maybe still developing to go with vets Holmes, Van Zeyl, Smith, plus Bourke now - not sure where a new draft pick O-linemen might fit in there? - unless the guy is viewed as a potential starter right - and IMO Vaillancourt at guard is probably the only O-lineman this draft with maybe that capability. I guess if the plan was to go all NI with the O-line - 8 NIs with one on the PR would be the depth plan = then maybe draft 2 or 3 even. I doubt that is the thinking, and won't be surprised to see 2 import O-linemen (Van Roten at C, plus the fine prospect TBD at an OT spot?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I think he went to an NFL mini-camp last year? - but he did get the extra look via the Shrine game this year; maybe he didn't do enough for further NFL attention?

Anyways - potential good news for the Argos; and I hope they have a good idea if he will sign/report before the draft this Tuesday; IMO - would greatly mitigate the need for going O-line with the top pick; McEwen, Watman, plus Sewell maybe still developing to go with vets Holmes, Van Zeyl, Smith, plus Bourke now - not sure where a new draft pick O-linemen might fit in there? - unless the guy is viewed as a potential starter right - and IMO Vaillancourt at guard is probably the only O-lineman this draft with maybe that capability. I guess if the plan was to go all NI with the O-line - 8 NIs with one on the PR would be the depth plan = then maybe draft 2 or 3 even. I doubt that is the thinking, and won't be surprised to see 2 import O-linemen (Van Roten at C, plus the fine prospect TBD at an OT spot?)
    Don't you think Barker will still try and stock the Offensive Line store with one of the top rated guys available at #4. I do. Now that the Argos may have a bit more money at their disposal I can see a player or two be 6 gamed all season while they learn the Pro game. Montreal generally has about 5 Canadian Linemen as back ups to the starters, with two or three of them on the 6 game injured list. That is money out of pocket that Braley probably wouldn't allow. Bourke, Smith and Van Zeyl aren't getting any younger.
    I can see Ottawa taking Corney after they loss Cappetelli (sp)? to the Riders. Kind of a local kid, from Brockville.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Yup TSN2 and only one hour - the rest of the draft will be on tsn.ca.
    I saw an ad on TSN4 last night that showed the CFL draft being on TSN1 and TSN3. I just looked at the TSN website and it shows the draft being on all the TSN channels except TSN2. TSN was to show the Cavaliers game that night so perhaps that's the reason the changes were made.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    I saw an ad on TSN4 last night that showed the CFL draft being on TSN1 and TSN3. I just looked at the TSN website and it shows the draft being on all the TSN channels except TSN2. TSN was to show the Cavaliers game that night so perhaps that's the reason the changes were made.
    Makes sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Now that Cle-Atl is over, might TSN show more than one hour of the draft? The listings for Fibe still show Cle-Atl in the 8p time slot on four of the five channels. Have to assume they could get a bigger audience for CFL draft than for some "substitute" sports event.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It's looking more like McEwen will be in camp here. If he was going to sign with an NFL team, I think it would have happened by now. Priority free-agent signing season is pretty well over. I suppose some teams might have kept him on the back-burner while they saw what they had at mini-camp, but if he hasn't signed by now with someone, I'm choosing to see it as a pleasant surprise, with cautious optimism we'll get him after all.
    We might have to pay him a lot, though:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It's tough to negotiate when players set their sights way above "scale." Not saying McEwen has done that, but it's certainly possible -- players often try to push the scales up, and he's a uniquely talented guy who likely expects to start right away (and would be justified in expecting that, given that our veteran centre is gone). I'd pay him like a No. 1 overall pick, but his definition of that and mine might be far apart. Sask overpaid for Shomari Williams six years ago, which has no doubt made teams cautious about throwing big money at draft picks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

So I guess I'll be listening to TSN 1150 tomorrow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's tough to negotiate when players set their sights way above "scale." Not saying McEwen has done that, but it's certainly possible -- players often try to push the scales up, and he's a uniquely talented guy who likely expects to start right away (and would be justified in expecting that, given that our veteran centre is gone). I'd pay him like a No. 1 overall pick, but his definition of that and mine might be far apart. Sask overpaid for Shomari Williams six years ago, which has no doubt made teams cautious about throwing big money at draft picks.
    Could be trying to force the Argos to consider trading him closer to home. These situations can really be tough. Sign him to play somewhere he doesn't want to be, and in 2 years he's gone. Essentially developing a player for another team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Could be trying to force the Argos to consider trading him closer to home. These situations can really be tough. Sign him to play somewhere he doesn't want to be, and in 2 years he's gone. Essentially developing a player for another team.
    Weren't there grumblings that he didn't want to play in the east or something?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I always felt he wanted to play with the Stampeders all along. Probably would have turned pro last year if Calgary had his rights and could still go to classes at Calgary U. Like you say, if he finally does sign it will be a 1+1 and he will head home in 2018. Barker is probably trying to sign him to a 3+1.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I always felt he wanted to play with the Stampeders all along. Probably would have turned pro last year if Calgary had his rights and could still go to classes at Calgary U. Like you say, if he finally does sign it will be a 1+1 and he will head home in 2018. Barker is probably trying to sign him to a 3+1.
    And if so, Barker should stick to his guns. We can't be held hostage by draftees wanting to choose their teams. And calgary would not dream of giving us comparable value to a potential 10-year starter.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I posted this on the main site earlier , if interested , ticats.ca is live streaming 2 hours of the draft in association with TSN 1150.

http://ticats.ca/live-draft-party/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    And if so, Barker should stick to his guns. We can't be held hostage by draftees wanting to choose their teams. And calgary would not dream of giving us comparable value to a potential 10-year starter.
    IF McEwen does not want to play in TO / is really keen on playing in Calgary - I believe it is possible to leverage good trade value out of Huff for such a highly rated prospect. Play it tough in negotiations and you never know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This article discusses Jim Barker's preview of the draft the draft order and trades that have afftected the draft order in addition to the questions in red below.

Plenty of intrigue surrounds the 2016 CFL Draft, which kicks off Tuesday, May 10 at 7 p.m. ET. From Laval’s chance to make history to the trades that have affected the order, here’s what you need to know going into Tuesday night: ...
    2. WHY ARE THERE ONLY EIGHT FIRST ROUND PICKS?

The Bombers used their 2016 first round selection to win the rights to Garrett Waggoner in last year’s supplemental draft. Waggoner became available only after the 2015 CFL Draft after obtaining national status late.
    In the supplemental draft, every team is allowed a shot at each player involved. Teams bid on one player at a time, and the team willing to bid the highest original draft pick of the following year is awarded the player.
    The last team to forfeit a first round pick in supplemental draft was also Winnipeg in 2012 for the rights to receiver Kito Poblah, and before that Hamilton in 2010 for offensive lineman Zac Carlson.

3. KEEP AN EYE ON…

Josiah St. John — If the 6-foot-6, 300-pound tackle goes first overall he’ll be the first Oklahoma player to do so in CFL Draft history. It was also mark the first time since 1998 that an NCAA player is taken first overall two year in a row after Connecticut’s Alex Mateas went first last year. Since the start of the modern era in 1985, 14 of 31 players (45 per cent) of first overall picks came from NCAA schools.
    Mateas going first last year ended a run of eight straight seasons with a CIS player going first overall.
    Laval O-linemen — If one of the three highly-touted offensive linemen from Laval go first overall, Laval would move into a fourth place tie with Toronto for the most first overall picks all-time with four. Previous Laval players to go first overall: Pierre Lavertu (Calgary, 2014), Miguel Robede (Calgary, 2005) and Alexandre Gauthier (Ottawa, 2002).
    Laval O-linemen Part II — If all of Jason Lauzon-Seguin, Charles Vaillancourt and Philippe Gagnon go in the first round as projected, Laval would tie the University of Calgary for the record of most players taken in round one in a single draft with three. Calgary achieved the feat in 2013 with Linden Gaydosh (1, HAM), Mike Edem (3, MTL) and Steven Lumbala (5, MTL).
    It would also mark the first time in history a school has had multiple players go in the first round of back to back years, potentially bringing Laval’s total to five first round picks between 2015 and 2016. In all, Laval ranks second since 2001 with eight first round picks, but Calgary with 11 is reachable.
    Offensive Linemen — If an offensive lineman goes first this year as is expected, it would mark the third straight year that has occurred. Only three times in history has that happened including once in the modern era. The last time it happened was 2002 to 2004 (Alexandre Gauthier, Steven Morley and Wayne Smith). Never has an OL been the first overall pick four years in a row.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/09/t...the-cfl-draft/