Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I however expected Michael Copeland to deliver on what he said. I don't think that's unfair at all.

And Michael Copeland was hired in July 2015 so you're being disingenuous when you say it's been 5 months.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2015/07/13/a...presdient-ceo/
    Me being disingenuous is your opinion and you are entitled to it; I obviously don't agree. The release you linked to clearly states Copeland would take over after the deal closed at the end of 2015, and that Rudge would remain president for the remainder of 2015. Copeland no doubt spent a lot of time thinking and planning, but I believe he couldn't actually do any meaningful work because his employers did not own the team. I'm not aware of evidence that the previous owner did a lot to co-operate and smooth the transition.

What, precisely, did Copeland promise to deliver that he hasn't delivered? Did he promise a fan event? A draft party? I don't remember such promises, but I do remember promises to give fans a great game-day experience, possibly including tailgating, and at this point there's no reason to believe those promises won't be met.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Edit: Paulwoods13 post above echos my questions re: Copeland

I'm letting the first non Grey Cup season (2017) to conclude before judging. It's a long process.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I like CFL and Argo football. I have been going to the games since the mid 1970s. I don't need anything else to entice me to watch or attend. But having watched what has become of this team over that span of time, I am aware of what is required for this team to register a pulse in the Toronto sports market and with their media for them to be successful once again. Maybe they are waiting for the Raptor season to be over before they begin any great push. It is not about being self entitled, it is about wanting to see the team be successful and doing the things that will generate interest with a fanbase that has not been interested.
    Everyone wants that - myself included, but I've heard one fan say that because the jerseys/logo aren't what he wanted; he won't attend games. I've heard another fan state that they will never attend a game at BMO because it's not the dome - I can understand maybe not being a season ticket holder if you're concerned about the weather, but to completely avoid BMO ? come on. Some want things their way or in the timetable of their choosing - it rarely works that way.

I've already stated that I was expecting more as well - others have also stated the same, but some are willing to be patient because they realize that this is a marathon not a sprint. A lot of work has to be done; we all know this, but to expect everything to change in year one IMO is unfair to the new regime. I really dislike how the new ownership is already being compared to Braley - even Braley was given 4 years before we starting complaining about him.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    What, precisely, did Copeland promise to deliver that he hasn't delivered? Did he promise a fan event? A draft party? I don't remember such promises, but I do remember promises to give fans a great game-day experience, possibly including tailgating, and at this point there's no reason to believe those promises won't be met.
    Copeland did promise that the team would become more accessible - of which I personally am seeing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I hope Tanenbaum and Bell will hurry up and sell the team to Sherwood Schwarz.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Comparisons to past ownership is unfair. Not buying tickets because of the jersey makes no sense. Not going because there is no roof is ridiculous. I can't wait for summer evening games outdoors. Nothing could be better on warm day or evening than watching a game outside close to the action.

I agree with all of the above. It's time to light this candle and get everything rolling. Once it does start rolling and the team gives us a couple of exciting wins and shows everyone they plan on contending for a championship the momentum will build all the way to November.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Fans from other teams also ask for stuff. Fans from the Argos sit back and expect the team to think of everything ... and then bitch when it's not done.

This new ownership has owned the team for a few months. But they also have only been in the CFL culture for a few months. If you want stuff ... then get off your proverbial internet butt and suggest future ideas to the team. ie: Other teams had a draft day ... then send in questions to the team about hosting a draft day event next season. Don't sit back and assume they will do it or think Argo fans want it in enough numbers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    It makes me so sad, where the argos are failing is with youth 15-30 who actually go to a lot of games.
    Raptors dont have that many fans but their fanbase is so young theyve been selling out every game since the team has been good.
    The same youth think the argos are generally a joke.
    For some reason these sports fans are catching on board with the jays and the tfc too ugh
    Hey everybody! Check out my YouTube page at MARCWAGZ ON YOUTUBE for some Mediocre Martial Arts and Music Videos.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    The baffling part is you have Hamilton down the road who support the heck out of their team. I think BMO is going to help the Argos out tho. Went down to the soccer game on the weekend and the stadium is looking really top notch. I hope that the ground-share can be made to work long-term.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Looks like Josh Bourke will fit in perfectly with the Argos.

Josh Bourke already dislikes the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and he hasn't even put on a Toronto Argonauts uniform yet. ...
    The Argos make their BMO Field debut June 23 against Hamilton and Bourke insists he won't be a shrinking violet against the Ticats.
    "Honestly, I hate Hamilton anyways," Bourke said in a telephone interview. "Even in Montreal, they're the team I couldn't stand the most.
    "I know Toronto-Hamilton is more of a rivalry than Montreal-Hamilton but we had some pretty epic battles with them over the years and I really can't stand them. It's not like I liked them before, I'm all on board with that."
    http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...ilton-rivalry/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Looks like Josh Bourke will fit in perfectly with the Argos.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...ilton-rivalry/
    Already posted.
    http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post84827

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Me being disingenuous is your opinion and you are entitled to it; I obviously don't agree. The release you linked to clearly states Copeland would take over after the deal closed at the end of 2015, and that Rudge would remain president for the remainder of 2015. Copeland no doubt spent a lot of time thinking and planning, but I believe he couldn't actually do any meaningful work because his employers did not own the team. I'm not aware of evidence that the previous owner did a lot to co-operate and smooth the transition.

There's no pleasing some people. Copeland could walk up to some people on this board, hand them a $50 bill and they'd complain it's not a $100.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    As long as they deliver on real tailgating I will be happy and even if it the beer portion of that had to be somewhat regulated in that you have buy it there or something I can live with that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

You make it seem like planning some events and reaching out to Season Ticket holders is some massive undertaking. He's had since July to plan and has had since January to implement.

So far other than 1 Email to Season Ticket holders they've done 0 while other CFL teams have been busy engaging their fanbases.

Here are Some of the things that he's said (in print) he has said more in radio interviews which you can search out yourself. In my opinion he hasn't delivered:

"What’s your vision for next season?

We can’t just rely on the stadium itself. This is about changing what it means to be an Argonauts fan. This isn’t going to be a great experience. This is going to be a spectacular experience."

"But the Argonauts have a regular season to worry about first. Copeland says that they will be focused on season ticket holders, a group that he called “amazingly resilient.” He’s aware of the damage that has been done to the team’s brand, which has been so severe that the 2015 season caused even the most loyal Argo fans to throw up their hands in frustration."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos...ate-magic.html

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/new-boss-co...build-1.397166
    Last edited by Neely2005; 05-14-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Fans from other teams also ask for stuff. Fans from the Argos sit back and expect the team to think of everything ... and then bitch when it's not done.

This new ownership has owned the team for a few months. But they also have only been in the CFL culture for a few months. If you want stuff ... then get off your proverbial internet butt and suggest future ideas to the team. ie: Other teams had a draft day ... then send in questions to the team about hosting a draft day event next season. Don't sit back and assume they will do it or think Argo fans want it in enough numbers.
    1. How do you know that Argonauts fans haven't made suggestions to the team?

2. Now the fans aren't only expected to buy tickets, they're also expected to come up with events and ideas for the team? Do you really think that it's the fans of other CFL teams that are coming up with their events?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think the answer is obvious..Braley needs to sell the team and Chris Rudge needs to be fired.

Sorry, wrong year. Carry on.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I never would have guessed that a free pop and pizza or lukewarm lasagna at a draft party was this important to anyone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I never would have guessed that a free pop and pizza or lukewarm lasagna at a draft party was this important to anyone.
    I think that it's more the chance to interact with some of the players and coaches but I'm not sure why people are choosing only to focus on the Draft Party idea. That's just one example of what other teams have been doing while the Argonauts do absolutely nothing, just the same as they've done the previous few years

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I think that it's more the chance to interact with some of the players and coaches but I'm not sure why people are choosing only to focus on the Draft Party idea. That's just one example of what other teams have been doing while the Argonauts do absolutely nothing, just the same as they've done the previous few years
    The thing is that the only people that usually attend these things are the die hard, long time supporters. Doing things to make a few hundred people happy really isn't, and IMO shouldn't be a top priority. My guess is the Argos are focusing at ways to get other people interested.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think a bigger problem is that when the new uniforms came out if you googled each individual team there were articles that came up immediately for the West teams. Google the east teams especially the Argos you really had to look. There is still a perception problem in the East especially in Toronto. It will take time for this to be fixed and because it is a Canada only league it will always be an issue especially in our USA fixated city. As discussed Raptor / TFC TV rating are poor but MLSE sees future potential with these brands so they have made strategic decisions to lose money on a MLS brand hoping that down the road it will be a big money maker when soccer / MLS grows further in North America.

The turning point for the Argos and the CFL in Toronto was the TV contracts at the end of the 1970's and early 80's. We no longer had Leo the mouth going south with brief cases of money attracting what was perceived as the best football players in the world. We had another taste of that in 1991.... can this ever be repeated again? The CFL has to be seen as a different game that needs different players. The same NFL guys cannot come up here and be successful which has been shown time and time again. The league as a entirety has not been successful at demonstrating this nor have the Argos.

Again, a quick google search on the 12 or 13th of this month should have brought up the new Argo uniforms on the top of the search. This is what disappoints me. Not having a draft party... could care less. I want the Argos to be respected as a top tier team in this city as they should be. The media chooses not to get it and the people do not understand it. Copeland and team have there hands full and early criticism is unwarranted at this time.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The thing is that the only people that usually attend these things are the die hard, long time supporters. Doing things to make a few hundred people happy really isn't, and IMO shouldn't be a top priority. My guess is the Argos are focusing at ways to get other people interested.
    Copeland said that they were going to focus on Season Ticket holders.

What other things are they doing? Perhaps I've missed it but I haven't seen them do anything.