Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    City can be hard to watch at times! So we're the Argos in 2016. Haha
    The Argo's did themselves no favours this year in terms of on-field that's for sure. But to me soccer lacks a certain quality I enjoy in sports, it just doesn't have the ability to captivate me in any facet. Rugby League on the other hand is both fun to play and watch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is this actually going to work? Or is it going to be more like that one billion dollar cricket stadium and Canadian super league? https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...d_stadium.html
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Enjoyed watching the WolfPack dominate Keighley Cougars this morning on tv channel Game 274. Final score Keighley 21 - WolfPack 48. We've got 4 tickets for the May 6th season opener and are really looking forward to this season.

The WolfPack is unbeaten in Tier 3, Rugby League and playing inspired football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Is this actually going to work? Or is it going to be more like that one billion dollar cricket stadium and Canadian super league? https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...d_stadium.html
    I saw a feature recently on Global about this team. They are aiming to be the top summer sport in Canada in the near future so they are certainly more competition for the CFL, especially in the already-crowded Toronto market.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    WolfPack are tearing up Tier 3 Rugby League. Last match 10 - London Broncos -100 WolfPack. I am very curious how all the hype translates in Toronto. They get lots of airplay in the U.K. right now. Argos should keep an eye out on any progress in their market.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I saw a feature recently on Global about this team. They are aiming to be the top summer sport in Canada in the near future so they are certainly more competition for the CFL, especially in the already-crowded Toronto market.
    An admirable goal, but is it feasible?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It might be a valuable lesson, or a complete flop. An owner has invested millions in their success. Two training facilities, one here and one in the U.K. Top talent and aggressive media. I wish them all he success. We'll be there opening day May 6th at Lamport Field.

Their goal is the play in the Super League Rugby League. CFL will be watching.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The WolfPack were featured in yesterday's New York Times Sports section. The have impressive media coverage focusing on the first ever trans-Atlantic professional sports team.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/s...tionfront&_r=0

For a Toronto Rugby Team, Some Games Are an Ocean Away

The third level of rugby league in England and Wales is something of a sleepy competition, played in towns like Merthyr Tydfil, Hemel Hempstead and Abingdon-on-Thames.

And Toronto.

This season, there is an incongruous presence in the little league: an expansion team from the largest city in Canada mixing it up with minnows of English rugby. And the logistics of the unconventional arrangement might be a preview of what the N.F.L. will have to deal with if it eventually installs a team in London.

On opening weekend, a league game between Oxford and the Hemel Stags drew 161 souls. But when the Toronto Wolfpack plays its first home game on May 6, Eric Perez, the team’s chief executive, says he expects to see 3,000 or 4,000 fans in the 10,000-seat Lamport Stadium.

Toronto is already showing itself to be more than a match for the division. The Wolfpack opened up with a 76-0 shellacking of the London Skolars and is now 3-0. It also scored a Cup win over the London Broncos, a team in the division above.

The success is not entirely unexpected, as the team has assembled a strong group of players for the division. “We got established league players that we knew could play at that level,” Perez said. “We had tryouts across North America.” The team includes three players who have captained their national teams: Ryan Burroughs of the United States, Rhys Jacks of Canada and Bob Beswick of Ireland.

Perez is not expecting to hang around the third tier very long: “The short term goal is to get promoted, the three-year plan is to get into the Super League, the five-year plan is to win the Super League,” the top level of rugby league in England. “Toronto doesn’t win anything, so I’d like to reverse that.”

A sports team whose rivals are all on another continent poses a series of unconventional problems, but Perez is optimistic that flexible scheduling and modern technology will mitigate any difficulties for the Wolfpack.

Sports
    Get the big sports news, highlights and analysis from Times journalists, delivered to your inbox every week.

Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

SEE SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY
    The team is playing its first five league games in England to cut down on air travel (and give the Canadian weather time to warm up), and this is expected to continue in the seasons to come. The team members who do not live in England already are staying in a rented mansion 15 minutes from the team’s training center in Leeds.

Later in the season, though, the team will have to fly back and forth on multiple occasions.

“It’s only a five-hour time difference and a six-hour flight,” Perez said. He also said he was not too concerned about squeezing big men into coach seats. “There are no fat guys in rugby league. It’s one of the most cardiovascularly difficult sports in the world.”

Nonetheless, the team has enlisted Liverpool John Moores University to devise a program catered to each player’s biological makeup. The players will receive recommendations on what and when to eat and when to go to bed to minimize jet lag and other issues.

The team’s sponsorship deal with an airline will cover its travel costs as well as the costs for the British teams to come to Toronto.

A team from another continent and hemisphere competing in a league is exceedingly rare, though not unheard-of. In the first two seasons of the World League of American Football (later known as N.F.L. Europe), seven North American teams were joined by three from Europe.

Perez views crosscontinental leagues as the future of his sport and of others. He said there might well be rugby league teams in New York or Boston in the near future. And he thinks American football should get on board with a team based in London. “I’ve always wondered why the N.F.L. is hesitating to pull the trigger,” he said. “It’s the logical step.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Toronto Wolfpack crush North Wales to remain undefeated in Kingstone Press League 1

The Toronto Wolfpack continue to roll in their first season in Kingstone Press League 1, scoring a convincing 80-0 win over the North Wales Crusaders on Friday in Wrexham, Wales.

EXPLAINER: Become an instant expert on rugby league
    Captain Craig Hall lead all Wolfpack players with 36 points, including a team-high three tries, and cracked the century mark in the first half of Friday's game.

In all,10 separate players scored tries for the Wolfpack (5-0-0) who kept their grip on top spot in the overall standings.

The team will play their first home game in Kingstone Press League 1 on May 6 when they host Oxford RFLC.

All Kingstone Press League 1 matches throughout the 2017 season will be live streamed and made available on demand at CBCSports.ca, as well as the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices within Canada.

Live stream schedule

Oxford RLFC at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday May 6 (4:30 p.m. ET)
    Toronto Wolf pack at Newcastle Thunder, Friday May 12 (2:30 p.m. ET)
    Barrow Raiders at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday May 20 (4:30 p.m. ET)
    Coventry Bears at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday June 3 (4:30 p.m. ET)
    Toronto Wolfpack at South Wales Ironment, Saturday June 10 (5:00 p.m. ET)
    Toronto Wolfpack at Workington Town, Sunday June 18 (10 a.m. ET)
    Hunslet RLFC at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday June, 24 (7 p.m. ET)
    York City Knights at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday July 1 (7 p.m. ET)
    All Golds at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday July 8 (7 p.m. ET)
    Hemel Stags at Toronto Wolfpack, Saturday July 15 (7 p.m. ET)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    80-0? Things can't possibly get more exciting than that. What awesome competition.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    We'll be interested to attend the inaugural Opening game for the WolfPack next Saturday at Lamport Stadium. They have a comprehensive social media campaign. In this crowded market we're curious to see how another entrant fares.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Toronto WolfPack Home Opener - May 6th vs Oxford FC

I recommend that the Argos attend and have a high profile presence for the new professional sports team. Next, they establish a relationship with the other local teams like Ottawa, Montreal and Calgary have already done. First, get started with the WolfPack.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    MEET THE WOLFPACK PLAYERS BEFORE HOME OPENER

This Saturday, the first transatlantic rugby team, the Toronto Wolfpack, will be playing their first home game at Lamport Stadium against Oxford RLFC. Being the first Canadian team in the RFL, within a single year they’ve taken the league by storm and become local and international superstars. Meet some of the impressive Toronto Wolfpack players on the team.

Craig Hill, Toronto Wolfpack Captain

Craig Hall, aged 29, is from Hull, England, and plays the Centre, Wing, and Fullback positions. He is the newly appointed team captain and Toronto Wolfpack coach Paul Rowley had only fond things to say about his appointment.

“We all agreed that Craig was the right man for the job. Craig’s role is very important to the dynamics of the team and captain is a huge responsibility. The ability to communicate effectively with myself and the team is a solid attribute that I felt Craig had when coming to my decision,” says Rowley, “He obviously has a wealth of experience within the game and is very level headed.”

Bob Beswick, the Vice-Captain, will offer great support for Hill, explains Rowley.

“Both of whom along with Craig are fantastic leaders and big characters within the group giving us solid leadership throughout.”

Fuifui Moimoi, Toronto Wolfpack fan-favourite

37 year old, Fuifui Moimoi is 6 ft. tall and 232 pounds. Born in Nuku’alofa, Tonga, he is known by fans as the ‘Steam Train’ and plays the prop position. The position requires immense strength and preferably some intimidation and Moimoi does not fall short.

Rowley points out that Moimoi is “an iconic brand and will add an additional physical presence to an already impressive line-up. His wealth of international and club experience will be a great benefit both on and off the pitch. I also think that our club fans […] will love his free flowing and aggressive style of play, as we all know, he has left dents all over Australia, New Zealand & the UK.”

Rhys Jacks, Canadian representative for the Toronto WolfpackRhys Jacks is, in fact, one of the only Canadian representative on the team along with Tom Dempsey and Quinn Ngawati. Born in Brisbane, Australia, he qualifies for Canadian representation through his Canadian grandfather. He’s 27 years old and plays the scrum-half and hooker positions. He started playing rugby back in Brisbane with the East Suburb Tigers and has since been captain for the Canadian team for the World Cup Qualifiers in Florida.

“Rhys was important to us not only for his talent but for the passion and pride in his Canadian roots.” says Rowley.

Rhys offered, “The opportunity to be a part of Canada’s first professional team is very exciting. I look forward to working with both the coaching staff and new teammates and I know it will drive me to continue developing as a player.”

Adam Sidlow, veteran rugby player for Toronto WolfpackWith over 150 Super-League appearances, Adam Sidlow may be one of the most experienced players on the team. The 29-year-old Brit plays the prop and second-row positions and is 251 pounds of well-attuned muscle-memory.

Kurt Haggerty, the Wolfpack assistant coach has had experience playing with Sidlow, having played together last year with the Bradford Bulls. Haggerty feels that “Adam is a great signing for the club going forward. He’s athletic and gets around the field very well. He also has the X-factor.”

Upon joining the Pack, Sidlow said “I’m thrilled to be a part of such an exciting new concept, and jumped at the opportunity when it arrived. I’d heard a lot of positive things about Canada from anyone that I’ve spoken to, and also about the lads training up at Brighouse, so it was a no-brainer for me. I’m excited for the next chapter in my career, for me and my family, and can’t wait to put on the Wolfpack jersey at the Den.”

Ryan Brierley, the newest addition to the Toronto Wolfpack Players

Ryan Brierley is the newest addition to the Toronto Wolfpack. Having transferred from the Huddersfield Giants, the young 25-year-old is said to stand out amongst other players his age.

Coach Rowley mentions that “He’s still a young player and whilst he will provide more attacking threat for our team right now, he will also play a big part in the Wolfpacks future.” At only 25, he’s “represented his country, played Super League, and scored a record breaking amount of tries, this is another big adventure for him to enjoy, and add to a career that most lads of his age could only ever dream of.”

Having played just one game with the Toronto Wolfpack, this game on Saturday will show more clearly what great potential Brierley can offer to the Wolfpack.

For a taste of what you might see on Saturday, watch the Wolfpack’s last game against the Salford Red Devils from Manchester, England.

To buy tickets for the game visit their website or tune into a live stream on Saturday, May 6 at 4:30 p.m.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not great weather for WolfPack today. WolfPack fans will meet at Brazenhead Pub and march to Lamport Field.
    The game will be live streamed on Gametv.

Team has opened a merchandise store with an array of team kit. Details:

139 Jefferson Ave., Liberty Village
    12-7pm tues-sat and match days
     Official TWP/Kappa replicas/merch avail.
    落 Support 's 1st pro  team

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I am pretty sure the WolfPack couldn't have arranged worse weather for their game yesterday. But having said that it was real English conditions.

Lots of growing pains at the inaugural WolfPack game in Toronto. Confusion at the gate. Long queues at the WolfPack store. Limited merchandise available. Sound system inadequate for the venue. No real game day management to speak of.

On the plus side, 6,200 fans took in a local team playing English rugby on Canadian soil. English Rugby League sent over a commentator to broadcast live back to the U.K. He seemed to be having a ball. A big hit was the craft beer tents selling beer all across the north end zone. We liked the hot dog gun that fired hot dogs to fans at halftime.

Afterwards, the team showed up at the home of the WolfPack, the Brazenhead Pub in Liberty Village.

I am sure they'll figure out how to manage to non game day event. We'll see if Toronto has room for more than the Blue Jays, Leafs, Raptors and TFC. Other world class cities can accommodate a number of teams and I don't see why Toronto can't. Though, it does make it difficult with the local team is suffering from an identity crisis.

Rugby League’s Wolfpack win game, fights, fans

Home opener draws a large crowd despite ugly weather, a positive sign for a sport hoping to expand internationally.

Morgan Campbell
    The Star

The Toronto Wolfpack throttled Oxford 62-12 at Lamport Stadium Saturday afternoon, but the final score hardly mattered to the folks running North America’s first pro rugby league franchise.
    A team of full-time pros is supposed to put up a lopsided score against a squad full of hobbyists like the one Oxford fielded.
    Winning over sports fans in a crowded Toronto market remains the stiffest challenge the Wolfpack will face competing in English Rugby League’s third division. In attracting 6,281 loud and passionate fans to Lamport Stadium on a chilly, drizzly day, the Wolfpack can confidently claim to have claimed an early lead in a never-ending competition for sports fans’ attention.
    “I just knew (Torontonians) would take to something that was genuine, had passion behind it,” said Wolfpack CEO Eric Perez. “They like a Toronto team that can put wins on the board, and we seem to be that.”
    Toronto’s first home game represented the first real test in Rugby League’s transatlantic experiment. In its 2014 strategic plan, the Super League identified international expansion as a goal and the Wolfpack mark the league’s boldest attempt to grow its overseas profile.
    The club spent the off-season signing players well-known to rugby league aficionados. Marquee signing Fui Fui Moi Moi starred in Australia’s National Rugby League, and has played prop for New Zealand’s national team.
    Toronto’s road games have drawn larger-than normal crowds at third-division clubs, with hometown fans eager to see recognizable names, even as they trounced the locals. Through six weeks of league competition, the Wolfpack has outscored opponents 372-49.
    Toronto’s home opener quickly fell into that pattern, with the Wolfpack scoring a third-minute try and putting up 34 points before Oxford managed its first try.
    By the 69th minute, frustration bubbled over. The teams may disagree on who started the fight but Toronto’s Jake Emmitt finished it, grabbing an Oxford player by the collar, taking several swings, then giving cheering fans a thumbs-up as he left the pitch with a red card.
    “Quite a few of the fans enjoyed the punching up,” Wolfpack captain Craig Hall said. “But that’s not what we’re about.”
    Toronto’s preferred style of play — fast-paced with intricate passing — highlighted the skill disparity that often defines the third division.
    In two weeks Toronto hosts the Barrow Raiders, a fully professional squad that has also run off a series of one-sided wins. But Oxford fielded a team on Saturday that included two construction workers, a teacher, and a PhD student in entomology.
    Many spectators recognized Toronto and Oxford were as evenly matched as the Blue Jays and the Intercounty Maple Leafs, and that Saturday’s game didn’t promise much competitive drama. But they also accept blowout wins as a necessary step toward promotion.
    “They’ve demonstrated throughout the season that they have that calibre of play and I look forward to them moving up through the leagues,” said Port Hope resident Galen Flaherty, who attended the game with a group of friends. “There’s an appetite for rugby here. Just like Toronto FC succeeded, I think you can see a similar thing for the Wolfpack.”
    TFC opened at home 10 years ago after a string of road games and drew a surprisingly large crowd on a cold, wet, grey day. That home opener drew three times as many spectators as the Wolfpack’s did, highlighting the pent-up local demand for the sport. While rugby league lacks soccer’s latent fan base, the Wolfpack’s win streak could help grow crowds at the 9,600-seat Lamport Stadium.
    “We’re Canadians (and) and we support our teams,” said Amanda Andres, who travelled to the game from St. Catharines. “We’ll support our teams regardless of the score. We’re winning, so we can’t really complain.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    apparently we just launched a rugby team:

http://www.torontowolfpack.com/

wouldn't mind watching rugby lol
    its good stuff. I went to the canada day game at Lamport and had a blast, with the team now in the second half of the season, with only one loss of the season so far, they are kicking butt.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is the spread for the next game 60 points?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

New Fan
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    We are going to the August 19 playoff game at Lamport. It is a great event in Liberty village. Our Argos tickets for that day go unused. The football game was easy to forgo. Two mediocre Eastern teams. The fry pit purgatory of the Ex. Dead zone atmosphere. Retirement village attendance. Over at Lamport, it's 5000 to 7000 young fans socializing in an inexpensive, convenient two hour event.