Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Canadian Football Players in Overseas Leagues

Thought I'd start a new thread in this room.

I was just checking on this weekend's schedule for the Swedish league to watch Brett Hunchak play QB for Stockholm, and it turns out the game is on today, at 1 pm EST.

https://saff.afi.tv/watch/812-saff

However, it also appears Hunchak was injured in the last game and is not listed as the starter.

EDIT: The stream was not working, so I've no idea if Hunchak got any reps, but Stockholm won 41-0. Playoffs are next I believe. Not sure how they'll seed the teams since 3 out of 4 are at 2-1 and the fourth is 0-3.
    Last edited by Mocha; 06-24-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I came across an interesting article abotu Ian Marouf, who played in Mexico before Covid hit. Apparently, he's stayed there (sounds like he met a girl...).

https://lfa.mx/de-la-hoja-de-maple-al-aguila-devorando-una-serpiente-la-historia-de-ian-marouf/?fbclid=IwAR3TFMMJ9OqHHUJbPqU8z0HZlKh6MFialwpPtJZA aqK9W0tLcSuGlw7FexQ

Here's the article after Google translate:

A little more than a year ago that COVID-19 arrived in Mexico bringing thousands of problems along with the virus, far from what we all already know, the closing of the borders presented a special challenge for the Defensive Lineman of Osos Toluca Ian Marouf, who could not return to his native Canada for that reason and his passage through Mexico goes beyond the grid only.Marouf's arrival in Mexico was pleasant, he arrived with his feet fixed on the ground and ready for one more season of American football, but this time on Aztec soil."My expectations were to come and play and show that I can continue to do well, I don't like setting high goals because if you don't meet them you can disappoint yourself."Facing the 2020 season the preparation of the "Big Bear" was complicated, factors such as height and the overweight he was facing at the time were factors that complicated the Canadian, however, with the help of his coaches and his players he did what was necessary to be ready the day of the debut in front of Fundidores.I was nervous, especially about the altitude, but I was ready to train and the cold weather to train I loved it, I know a lot of people don't like it but I loved it. The people treated me very well, both the coaches and some bilingual players helped me understand the game system and as for the city, the people are very friendly ”.After a difficult start, Osos reached Mexica territory without a single victory and Marouf's numbers weren't very good either without being able to get a sack up to that point. Game that changed the course for the team and for Ian, who would come out of that playing field tying the league record for sacks in a single game with 4.5.

" Every game for me is to play to win, my training and my diet prepared me, I felt that it was going to be a good game and it was, by that time my legs were already used to the height and I to the game system, everything clicked ”.Nobody was prepared for what would happen next, we met a new disease that would originate from China and soon things changed all over the world."I just thought, shit, I was improving every game and I was showing that I could play, the team told us that it was only going to be 2 or 3 weeks, I hadn't played for a few years and I couldn't finish the season."The arrival of the coronavirus in Mexico led Marouf to consider a long stay in Mexico, in addition to the fact that when the heart asks for it, the stay was worth it for another reason ...“At that time I had two things on my mind; One was my girlfriend at the time and I wanted to show her and her family that I was engaged, that was a reason for me to stay, the other was that I really wanted to learn how to live here. It is a new culture and another language to which I continue to adapt to this day ”.It seemed like a story painted pink for Ian Marouf and his stay in Mexico, but there was still a very annoying stone missing in the shoe and that is that the virus does not spare anyone, in mid-2020 Ian Marouf was infected with COVID-19.“Fortunately I had no serious symptoms, just a fever, I lost my appetite and had no taste; I just dedicated myself to investigating what I should eat, to rest well and with the help of medications, the disease gradually disappeared, I was lucky because obviously that does not happen with everyone ”.To this day, Ian Marouf continues to adapt to the lifestyle of Toluca (and Mexico) a long and difficult process, but not impossible. Whoever came to play for a few months plans to have a long stay in our countryThe process has been difficult because it is a country where you must have a strong mentality to get ahead, coming from Canada you are not used to that. In general the people have been good and it is something that I like here. I hope to learn more and would definitely like to stay here longer.I have planned to do a sports academy for Mexican players, it is something I always wanted to do, and there are also very passionate young athletes here. Besides that I cook because my friends tell me that I do it well and I have had the opportunity to do business with food ”.

Looking ahead to 2022, Marouf's future is uncertain, although he continues to live in Toluca, the Canadian does not have a current contract with Osos so he is considered a free agent and commented that some teams have already contacted him to seek his services as headhunter and expect 2022 to be an electric season.“I have lost 30 kilos since I arrived and now I am focused on gaining muscle to get to 2022 as best as possible. I just hope that the season starts on time and that we can play without stopping, both rookies and veterans have two years without stepping on a field, the wait has been long and that is why I think it will be one of the best seasons in the history of the LFA ”.Finally Marouf gave some words for the young people. “Control what you can control, you don't know what might happen in the future, but you can know what you eat, how you exercise and how you study. Life is more than just football, of course, you can prepare and be passionate about what you do every day, but you must also take your studies and work into account ”.