Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Eskimos turn a healthy profit in 2015

http://www.630ched.com/2016/05/03/es...rofit-in-2015/

The Eskimos reported a net profit of $1.567-million. That number is down from the over $3.5-million from the 2014 season but a Grey Cup win plus various improvements to Commonwealth Stadium, and lower overall gate receipt revenue contributed to a lower profit.

The Eskimos enjoyed record revenue of $24.8-million in 2015 fueled by record season seat revenue, corporate sponsorships, and merchandise sales.

Hosting the Western Division Final resulted in additional revenue of $1.7 million.
    Full report for anyone interested.
    http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net...areholders.pdf

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So their stabilization or reserve fund is now almost $12 million. Very impressive!

An interesting column from Terry Jones about the Esks and how their attendance has dropped by around 10k per game since they last won the Grey Cup in 2005: http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/.../22629656.html.

I wonder how much the poor Alberta economy is affecting both the Esks and Stamps. When their economy struggled back in the 1980s, both teams felt the pinch then.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 05-04-2016 at 03:30 AM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    This shows how razor-thin the margins are in the CFL. If Edmonton hadn't hosted the West final, it would have lost roughly $150K last season instead of making $1.5 million.

The Eskimos had record revenue, but also record expenses (what were those, the salary cap isn't exploding?).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Despite what it cost to win the Grey Cup, the Eskimos still made money. The revenue for the season was $24,818,793 and the expenses totaled $22,835,579.
    Profit: $1,567,534.

Ummmmm, math anyone? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be closer to $2 million for a profit?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Despite what it cost to win the Grey Cup, the Eskimos still made money. The revenue for the season was $24,818,793 and the expenses totaled $22,835,579.
    Profit: $1,567,534.

Ummmmm, math anyone? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be closer to $2 million for a profit?
    Net operating income was $1,984,196 - Net Income from Non-Operating Activities was a loss of $416,662 = $1,567,534 profit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    So their stabilization or reserve fund is now almost $12 million. Very impressive!

An interesting column from Terry Jones about the Esks and how their attendance has dropped by around 10k per game since they last won the Grey Cup in 2005: http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/.../22629656.html.

I wonder how much the poor Alberta economy is affecting both the Esks and Stamps. When their economy struggled back in the 1980s, both teams felt the pinch then.
    Interesting that Jones brings up Katz asking about owning the team. I've read elsewhere that Katz has inquired before, but that was quite some time ago now. Even though I'm not a Katz Group fan at all; IMO an NHL team owning a CFL would be a huge help - the synergies, cross promotion and added potential corporate support would be huge.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Interesting that Jones brings up Katz asking about owning the team. I've read elsewhere that Katz has inquired before, but that was quite some time ago now. Even though I'm not a Katz Group fan at all; IMO an NHL team owning a CFL would be a huge help - the synergies, cross promotion and added potential corporate support would be huge.
    Point taken on the opportunity for marketing initiatives. I think most Eskimo fans are quite happy with the community ownership. Katz already has too much of a monopoly on the entertainment dollar in Edmonton - don't want to give him a larger piece of the pie. Things between the Oilers and Eskimos have gotten better since Bob Nicholson became CEO of the Oilers group. Prior to that the Oilers used to purposely hold press conferences and events on the same day as Eskimo scheduled events just to throw a wrench in the works. Nicholson has embraced the idea of sports entities working together in the marketplace.
    Support CFL league & team sponsors by buying their stuff!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hugoagogo View Post
    Point taken on the opportunity for marketing initiatives. I think most Eskimo fans are quite happy with the community ownership. Katz already has too much of a monopoly on the entertainment dollar in Edmonton - don't want to give him a larger piece of the pie. Things between the Oilers and Eskimos have gotten better since Bob Nicholson became CEO of the Oilers group. Prior to that the Oilers used to purposely hold press conferences and events on the same day as Eskimo scheduled events just to throw a wrench in the works. Nicholson has embraced the idea of sports entities working together in the marketplace.
    Good to hear. Community ownership does work and I think there's a different sense of pride with a Community owned team, but you have to have the right people up top - IMO Edmonton and Saskatchewan do - the Bombers not so much (Bomber fans want True North to take over). I'm also an advocate of NLL teams being owned by NHL teams - the NLL has already taken a tour of Rogers Place and their could be an Edmonton expansion franchise as early as next season; going by some of the reports I've read.

The CFL needs a bit of a boost or injection currently and as of pointed out the synergies and marketing opportunities would help....... not to mention the money saved by having multiple teams running within one organization. The Aqullini's (Canucks owners) were previously reported to have interest in the Lions, the Flames own the Stamps, and 2/3's of MLSE own the Argonauts (from what I've read the door has left open for Rogers to one day become involved and have MLSE to run the whole thing). Jeff Hunt pointed out that by OSEG owning the 67's, Fury and Redblacks - they save around 800,000 annually on operations.