Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Good that you put "stories" in quotes. Fan posts on forums are not even remotely comparable to what I believe most people consider stories: reporting produced by journalists. I don't believe a single journalist ever wrote Marshall "just wasn't ready for the oh so sophisticated CFL - being a Canadian and all." Which is a much different statement than he "deserved to be fired."

IMO - you get a much wider range of opinion, plus will find a lot more CFL knowledgeable posters (once you wade thru a lot of iffy posts) on CFL fan forums than you will ever get from "football reporters" in Canada = IMO basically a polite group of sheep who will bleat what CFL officials or team shills tell them, and who are either unable to form their own individual opinions about football (don't know enough about the game/league) or else afraid to give them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    IMO - you get a much wider range of opinion, plus will find a lot more CFL knowledgeable posters (once you wade thru a lot of iffy posts) on CFL fan forums than you will ever get from "football reporters" in Canada = IMO basically a polite group of sheep who will bleat what CFL officials or team shills tell them, and who are either unable to form their own individual opinions about football (don't know enough about the game/league) or else afraid to give them.
    How does being a sheep differ from repeating the same "contrary" opinions over and over?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    How does being a sheep differ from repeating the same "contrary" opinions over and over?

Not sure.

Why don't you name for me all the fine CFL "journalists" who regularly report on the CFL with individual opinions of their own and who show in depth football knowledge - I would like to check some of these guys out, but I do not know of any. Meanwhile - I'm OK with reading various CFL fan forums where I can find commentators whose football knowledge and own opinions I respect or find interesting = lots of guys here (like Rich or doubleblue or 57 or Ravi or AV to name just a few), plus many others on some of the other CFL forums I check out. The standard party line, cliched CFL speak I hear from most media commentators I can do without - boring !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure.

Meanwhile - I'm OK with reading various CFL fan forums where I can find commentators whose football knowledge and own opinions I respect or find interesting = lots of guys here (like Rich or doubleblue or 57 or Ravi or AV to name just a few), plus many others on some of the other CFL forums I check out.
    I'm offended I was not on this list

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The standard party line
    You object to journalists' "party line," yet never veer from your own world view, and repeat it ad infinitum. How does that differ from what you complain about?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You object to journalists' "party line," yet never veer from your own world view, and repeat it ad infinitum. How does that differ from what you complain about?

"world view" - WTF?

More like, you don't like to hear anything but CFL standard party line and cliched wisdom, and will object to different views ad infinitum. Why don't you stick to reading big truth tellers like "journalists" ?

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    It isnt Ptazsek's role to design or install a new offense. One is in place. His job will to make it coachable and coherent and make sure the the plays are understandable and get communicated on time from the booth.

Not an offensive guru but Kent's assistant in every sense of the word. Not so much for his football knowledge but his ability to lead players and make them believe in the system.
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    It isnt Ptazsek's role to design or install a new offense. One is in place. His job will to make it coachable and coherent and make sure the the plays are understandable and get communicated on time from the booth.

Not an offensive guru but Kent's assistant in every sense of the word. Not so much for his football knowledge but his ability to lead players and make them believe in the system.
    Yes - and an experienced coach for those offensive duties; also a guy with local roots or history. Might turn out to be a great hire.

Some have commented re veteran Canadian/CIS coaches that they would be too comfortable & secure in their CIS gigs to want to go to the CFL, and that was why we didn't see too many of them in the CFL. Not in this case I guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes - and an experienced coach for those offensive duties; also a guy with local roots or history. Might turn out to be a great hire.

Some have commented re veteran Canadian/CIS coaches that they would be too comfortable & secure in their CIS gigs to want to go to the CFL, and that was why we didn't see too many of them in the CFL. Not in this case I guess.
    Great hire for the Ticats, makes sense for Ptaszek as well, moving from Mac to the Ticats no family upheaval coupled with the lure of being a pro coach.
    My understanding is Ptaszek will basically run Austin's offence but will eventually incorporate some of his schemes as well.
    Difficult thing for Ptaszek may be the transition from man in charge to Doing as Austin says, he (Austin) seems like an arrogant control freak which may make the adjustment difficult.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Great hire for the Ticats, makes sense for Ptaszek as well, moving from Mac to the Ticats no family upheaval coupled with the lure of being a pro coach.
    My understanding is Ptaszek will basically run Austin's offence but will eventually incorporate some of his schemes as well.
    Difficult thing for Ptaszek may be the transition from man in charge to Doing as Austin says, he (Austin) seems like an arrogant control freak which may make the adjustment difficult.
    Dont you want your head coach to be a "control freak" ? Isnt that his job ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post

We shall see i guess - maybe Kenty doesn't need any assistant coaches, he could run the whole show himself, especially on offfence. ;o)

And Ptaszek seemed like a fiery kind of guy who gets worked up at times, from seeing his CIS sideline demeanour; staying up in the booth and just being a quiet Kenty aid might be better to avoid some sideline clashes ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    "world view" - WTF?

More like, you don't like to hear anything but CFL standard party line and cliched wisdom, and will object to different views ad infinitum. Why don't you stick to reading big truth tellers like "journalists" ?
    As I was saying ...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Dont you want your head coach to be a "control freak" ? Isnt that his job ?
    No different than any company, the HC paints the overall picture, hires good people to carry out the plan and let's them do their jobs.
    Most good managers at any company make their people accountable but don't micro manage, don't get that vibe from Austin.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    We shall see i guess - maybe Kenty doesn't need any assistant coaches, he could run the whole show himself, especially on offfence. ;o)

And Ptaszek seemed like a fiery kind of guy who gets worked up at times, from seeing his CIS sideline demeanour; staying up in the booth and just being a quiet Kenty aid might be better to avoid some sideline clashes ?
    Probably the best thing Ptaszek could do is walk into Kent's office bow in front of Austin and say "enlighten me with your vast knowledge o great one".
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I'm offended I was not on this list

But you would be if I had taken the time to name all the posters' whose comments I enjoy reading here; so would Paul for that matter. ;o)

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    All I know is HAM has no problem in attracting talent with Austin at the helm. They respond to him and play for him and his assistants seem just fine working under him.
    It seems the only people who dont "get" Austin are the least knowledgeable and farthest removed from what actually goes on there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    All I know is HAM has no problem in attracting talent with Austin at the helm. They respond to him and play for him and his assistants seem just fine working under him.
    It seems the only people who dont "get" Austin are the least knowledgeable and farthest removed from what actually goes on there.

Hard to argue with 2 straight GC appearances and almost a 3rd (Gascon-Nadon hangs onto to that Blank gift pick offering, and when they had to go with back-up QB that game); also won a GC as HC with the Riders = guess Kenty must be doing something right - even if he comes across as a smug little **** a lot of the time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That whole organization has done a good job rebuilding since the Cortez regime, I had season tickets in Hamilton last season and saw it first hand.
    However I stand by my assessment, he often conducts himself during the game like a spoiled petulant jackass.
    Also a well known fact he wasn't a very popular teammate during his playing days but I guess those teammates were the "least knowledgeable and far removed" from that situation as well.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thought we were talking about austin as a coach.
    As a fan I couldnt care less what is attitude is or how big his ego is as long as he delivers and players continue to buy in. How he acts or how many people dont like him is completely irrelevent to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thought we were talking about austin as a coach.
    As a fan I couldnt care less what is attitude is or how big his ego is as long as he delivers and players continue to buy in. How he acts or how many people dont like him is completely irrelevent to me.
    Fair points Zontar as a Hamilton fan one would expect your perspective, I much preferred Cortez personally!!
    Like anything winning and success cures all.
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-08-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions