Thread: CIS Roundup

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Pretty amazing that Waterloo can turn their program around as quickly as they have. When you see that, there is no excuse for York and UofT to do so. York has a great QB in Hunchak, but for some reason they can never put enough around him to be competitive.
    Despite my earlier rant....looking at the schedule I intend on going to see Mac play at Waterloo on the 13th of October....this Ternowski kid that OV mentioned has me interested....good to see Waterloo get competitive again after years of futility .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Despite my earlier rant....looking at the schedule I intend on going to see Mac play at Waterloo on the 13th of October....this Ternowski kid that OV mentioned has me interested....good to see Waterloo get competitive again after years of futility .
    IF you do manage to get to that game - love to hear a report on Waterloo overall- Ternowksi for one, but also this Tre Ford kid at QB - averaging close to 400 passing yards per game this season, but also around 80 rushing yards game too = Chris Flynn type stuff it seems for a CIS QB (if anyone recalls that Canadian college ball legend of a QB - dual threat passer & elusive scrambler/runner). Waterloo getting to win the OUA over defending champs Western would be awesome - not that I'd be even close to betting on it - and this QB Ford would become a Canadian football superstar maybe ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    IF you do manage to get to that game - love to hear a report on Waterloo overall- Ternowksi for one, but also this Tre Ford kid at QB - averaging close to 400 passing yards per game this season, but also around 80 rushing yards game too = Chris Flynn type stuff it seems for a CIS QB (if anyone recalls that Canadian college ball legend of a QB - dual threat passer & elusive scrambler/runner). Waterloo getting to win the OUA over defending champs Western would be awesome - not that I'd be even close to betting on it - and this QB Ford would become a Canadian football superstar maybe ?
    Sure thing OV....look to make it a football weekend with the Argo/ Cats game the night before. I notice Ford's stats too and look forward to seeing this team (I usually go to Laurier) compete for a playoff spot.

I hate Western with a passion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post

I hate Western with a passion.
    Me too, but cheer for them if they win Ontario. I will always root for Ontario over the other conferences.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Also impressed by Tre Ford and Ternowski. Also, think that if Tre Ford continues to develop he could play in the CFL one day as a QB. Understand, he was in Alouettes camp this year in the QB development program. Hope he gets more invites to CFL camps in the next 2 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    Also impressed by Tre Ford and Ternowski. Also, think that if Tre Ford continues to develop he could play in the CFL one day as a QB. Understand, he was in Alouettes camp this year in the QB development program. Hope he gets more invites to CFL camps in the next 2 years.

We'll see if either O'Connor or Chris Merchant get a REAL shot to compete at QB with CFL teams at need at the position next year; THEN i could MAYBE see Ford as a possibility down the road = that would mean some sort of HUGE change in standard CFL GOB "thinking"; you'd have to explain to me though how Hugo Richard rated ZERO real CFL look. Any bets there on O'Connor or Merchant ? ;o)

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    We'll see if either O'Connor or Chris Merchant get a REAL shot to compete at QB with CFL teams at need at the position next year; THEN i could MAYBE see Ford as a possibility down the road = that would mean some sort of HUGE change in standard CFL GOB "thinking"; you'd have to explain to me though how Hugo Richard rated ZERO real CFL look. Any bets there on O'Connor or Merchant ? ;o)
    I wonder who will be invited to the CFL combine to throw passes? I think O'Connor will be there, but I wonder if the second quarterback will be Merchant or the Dino's Adam Sinagra. Justin Dunk is playing up Sinagra in the latest 3rd down podcast. I think if the CFL starts counting quarterbacks towards the ratio in the next contract, 5th year quarterbacks Hugo Richard and Noah Picton might also be in a CFL camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder who will be invited to the CFL combine to throw passes? I think O'Connor will be there, but I wonder if the second quarterback will be Merchant or the Dino's Adam Sinagra. Justin Dunk is playing up Sinagra in the latest 3rd down podcast. I think if the CFL starts counting quarterbacks towards the ratio in the next contract, 5th year quarterbacks Hugo Richard and Noah Picton might also be in a CFL camp.
    The Argos are keen on bringing back Picton for another look after his final season with the Rams; he will be right up there in the TC competition at QB with the likes of MacBeth and Skip Prukop for the future of Argo QBing - lots of TC reps and plenty of ex. game playing time to show what he can do; book it ! LOL ;o)

O'Connor, Merchant and Sinagra will be in high demand by next CFL TC time too - drafted or signed as FAs - and be getting real serious CFL looks for teams in need at QB. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The top four teams in USports rankings remain unchanged while Carleton moved up to fifth from sixth with a 38-26 win over Toronto. Fifth place Laurier dropped to eighth after a 21-20 loss to McMaster. Saskatchewan's 33-20 win over Regina helped it jump from 9th to 6th and dropped Regina from 8th to 10th. Ottawa jumped into the top 10 at 9th with a 42-16 thumping of York.

results of the media panel balloting (each weighted 50%) to produce the final top 10.
    RANK SCHOOL SEASON MEDIA ELO TOTAL PREVIOUS
    1 Western 4-0 165 (13) 170 335 1
    2 Laval 4-0 151 (3) 153 304 2
    3 Calgary 4-0 141 (1) 136 277 3
    4 Montreal 3-1 121 119 240 4
    5 Carleton 4-1 93 68 161 6
    6 Saskatchewan 3-1 86 51 137 9
    7 Saint Mary’s 4-0 32 85 117 7
    8 Laurier 2-2 13 102 115 5
    9 Ottawa 3-1 47 34 81 NR
    10 Regina 2-2 31 0 31 8
    Honourable mention: Guelph (17), McMaster (17), UBC (13), Waterloo (12),
    Queen’s (6), Manitoba (4), Concordia (2), StFX (1)
    http://3downnation.com/2018/09/25/us...n-on-the-rise/

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos are keen on bringing back Picton for another look after his final season with the Rams; he will be right up there in the TC competition at QB with the likes of MacBeth and Skip Prukop for the future of Argo QBing - lots of TC reps and plenty of ex. game playing time to show what he can do; book it ! LOL ;o)

O'Connor, Merchant and Sinagra will be in high demand by next CFL TC time too - drafted or signed as FAs - and be getting real serious CFL looks for teams in need at QB. ;o)
    Dunk on Sinagra:

http://3downnation.com/2018/09/26/ca...g-canadian-qb/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Ottawa Gee Gees defeated the Carleton Ravens 38-27 in the Panda Game last weekend before a crowd of 24,470 fans. The win was their first in the Panda Game since 2013 and gave the 4-1 Gee Gees sole possession of second place in the OUA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is confusion within Ontario University Athletics over whether Greg Knox has beens suspended one game for charging down the sidelines and getting into an altercation with a member of the sideline crew, according to Global News.

Mid-morning, reporters began calling the school's acting director of athletics, Mark Alfano, to ask about rumblings they'd heard about head football coach Greg Knox being in trouble for something that happened in the Marauders' win over Laurier on Sept. 22. ...

Nonetheless, a little over an hour later, Alfano sent out a sparse-on-details press release. It read: "McMaster's head football coach Greg Knox has been suspended for one game by Ontario University Athletics. The suspension follows an incident involving a game official that took place during the last Marauder game against Laurier." ...

While Mac says its coach has been suspended, the CEO of the OUA says that's not the case. Knox hasn't been suspended. Not by his organization, anyway.
    A suspension would only be announced once all the steps in the hearing process have been done, Gord Grace explains. That includes an appeal which Knox says is in the works. A suspension would be announced … "Only if the process is exhausted," Grace says. "But that hasn't been finalized yet."
    In other words, there is not a "final final outcome." So, no suspension. Not yet, anyway. Maybe not ever, depending on the appeal.
    https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...spension-news/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa's win over Carleton in the Panda Game resulted in their switching positions in the USports Football Top Ten with Ottawa climbing to fifth and Carleton falling to ninth. Undefeated St. Marys moved up one notch to sixth. Saskatchewan's 33-13 loss to Calgary caused it to fall from sixth to seventh while Guelph's 27-24 win over St Francis Xavier placed it in tenth place.

http://3downnation.com/2018/10/02/us...-game-victory/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Regina Rams have been stripped of all three of their wins because they used an unnamed ineligible player against the universities of Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba. Regina discovered the mistake in eligibility and reported it to Canada West yesterday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    CIS rushing leader Cedric Joseph (Western) goes off for a monster 355 yard (!!! - wonder what the single game record is?) rushing game with a 90 yarder included and 3 TDs - as Western kills Windsor. I get that Western are a powerhouse team with a strong O-line and ground game, and that can produce some inflated stats against weak defences ... but 355 with a 90 yarder = you have to have some serious talent there. Joseph really impressed me during Western's dominant run last season - one of those backs with excellent vision & balance who produces without having serious RB speed. Up next CFL draft and i believe a slowish 40 time will see him not highly rated at all; but love to see the Argos take a chance on this guy with a mid to late round pick; could be an excellent inside runner /change of pace CFL back - take a CFL offence with diversity to use him = not sure that's the Argos then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa has continued its climb in the standings after an opening season loss, with a 53-21win over Toronto for its fifth win in a row, thereby helping it jump from ninth to fifth in the standings. McMaster jumped into ninth spot from unranked with a 27-24 win over Queens.

RANK SCHOOL SEASON MEDIA ELO TOTAL PREVIOUS
    1 Western 6-0 111 (7) 120 231 1
    2 Laval 6-0 111 (4) 108 272 2
    3 Calgary 5-0 100 (1) 96 219 3
    4 Montreal 4-2 84 84 196 4
    5 Ottawa 5-1 71 48 168 9
    6 Saint Mary’s 6-0 30 60 119 7
    7 Laurier 3-3 18 72 90 8
    8 Saskatchewan 3-2 50 12 62 7
    9 McMaster 4-2 34 24 58 NR
    10 Guelph 3-3 3 36 39 10
    Honourable mention*: Carleton (21), Regina (14), Manitoba (10), St. FX (3)

http://3downnation.com/2018/10/09/us...an-appearance/

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    CIS rushing leader Cedric Joseph (Western) goes off for a monster 355 yard (!!! - wonder what the single game record is?) rushing game with a 90 yarder included and 3 TDs - as Western kills Windsor. I get that Western are a powerhouse team with a strong O-line and ground game, and that can produce some inflated stats against weak defences ... but 355 with a 90 yarder = you have to have some serious talent there. Joseph really impressed me during Western's dominant run last season - one of those backs with excellent vision & balance who produces without having serious RB speed. Up next CFL draft and i believe a slowish 40 time will see him not highly rated at all; but love to see the Argos take a chance on this guy with a mid to late round pick; could be an excellent inside runner /change of pace CFL back - take a CFL offence with diversity to use him = not sure that's the Argos then.
    I'm looking forward to the 2019 CFL combine. Could be a great year for Canadian running backs. From U Sports

Jamel Lyles, Manitoba
    Levondre Gordon, Laurier
    Jeshrun Antwi, Calgary
    Cedric Joseph, Western
    Jordan Lyons, McMaster
    Kayden Johnson, York

From The NCAA

Brady Oliveira, North Dakota
    Maleek Irons, Ohio

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm looking forward to the 2019 CFL combine. Could be a great year for Canadian running backs. From U Sports

Jamel Lyles, Manitoba
    Levondre Gordon, Laurier
    Jeshrun Antwi, Calgary
    Cedric Joseph, Western
    Jordan Lyons, McMaster
    Kayden Johnson, York

From The NCAA

Brady Oliveira, North Dakota
    Maleek Irons, Ohio

We shall see there; Oliviera & Irons may go by 2nd or 3rd round just by their NCAA resumes; the CIS RBs are likely to be low rated and more like mid to late round picks. Ilnicki was cut by Ottawa and not given another CFL look = telling there; and same old, same old CFL thinking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The situation involving McMaster HC Greg Knox has been handled very poorly.

Monday will mark one month since McMaster’s head football coach allegedly said or did something to an official during a game that got him in trouble. Something believed to be serious enough that the university put him on administrative leave pending an investigation.
    A month later, he’s still not back at work.
    Today, as the team prepares for its final regular-season game in Windsor on Saturday, nobody will say how far along the investigation is, what’s happening or offer any details about what he apparently did. Heck, they won’t even tell the interim head coach what’s going on.

“I know nothing,” Tom Flaxman says. “I’ve been told nothing.” ...

The background is this: During a game against Wilfrid Laurier on Sept. 22, Greg Knox allegedly had some kind of incident with an official. He wasn’t kicked out of the game. Still, Ontario University Athletics had a hearing on the matter, heard Knox’s appeal of its initial decision and ultimately gave him a one-game suspension that he served last week.
    McMaster, on the other hand, put him on leave and that’s where he remains. His school-mandated suspension will reach three games this weekend with no end in sight.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/10/20/gr...arauders-mess/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    McMaster HC Greg Knox has been fired after a third person independent report following an incident during a game against Laurier in September. Ontario University Athletics had suspended him for one game. No reason was given for the difference in the severity of the penalties and no specific details of the incident were revealed.