Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Slippery slope. When does this stop? Yes, I know this post will make me a villain.
    When and where it always stops -- sometime and somewhere.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    A lot more people agree with you than are allowed to say. Also interesting to note that the small survey had more people liking the Eskimos name going westward (closer to the team) but of course the non activist voice doesn't matter.
    Feel free to think I’m lying but there are actually current players that I know of who are not happy with everything that’s going on from the team name, to the release of Christion Jones. And with that release plus the online reaction, why would any player share anything online.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 07-18-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Slippery slope. When does this stop? Yes, I know this post will make me a villain.
    Not a villain at all, just an honest question👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I have mixed feelings about the name change but if racial or gender groups are offended by the names, then I lean towards changing the name. As Warren Moon said, he previously saw nothing wrong with the Eskimo name but realizes this is not the same with everyone and so supports the name change. It seems the loss of sponsors by both the Washington and Edmonton helped trigger the name changes, with the sponsors responding to public pressure.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's official

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It's official

[FONT="] [/FONT]
    Good.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    A large part of CFL history has been sanitized today.

Achievements:
    Level
    They should just go soccer style, EFC or EEFC

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    They should just go soccer style, EFC or EEFC

Edmonton Elk - large, powerful animal native to Alberta; can run plenty fast (probably 3.2 forty time range?); not sure how good their hands are though.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Edmonton Ex-oilmen would be topical.

Seriously though, the team has been very cautious about this and I'd be startled if it wasn't Edmonton Empire. That ticks all the boxes and I haven't heard anything I like better.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Edmonton Elk - large, powerful animal native to Alberta; can run plenty fast (probably 3.2 forty time range?); not sure how good their hands are though.
    This is my vote. Elks has a history with the team. I hope it's not Empire. Lame....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Never. Those who fought this hard on social media will forget about this 'victory' in short time. The outrage mob moves quickly to the next act, the next pleasure, the next hit of dopamine. Discontinuing the use of the name is not enough, now the demand for apologies and further reconciliation. The outrage mob moves on.

You can debate on how sincere the Team was in engaging northern communities in this conversation, the polling and the promise of continued engagement but in the end, this wasn't decided by the Team on their own terms, nor was it decided by the Inuit as a community, that is clear.

The conversation, which should have always been focused on how the Inuit as a community feel, went right to stopping racist name at whatever the costs. A "Don't worry Inuit, we got this for you, sit back." Seemly, a perverse type of racism in it's self. It's as if the activists assumed the Inuit were too fragile/hurt to speak up for themselves. I am not discounting individual experiences and feelings by people, this was an social media observation oh who was mostly doing the "fighting", including the Board of Directors of the Corporation that made a public threat, instead of making their concerns in a more private manner. It's very easy for both people and corporations to score "Social Points" off the backs of another's annihilation.

The point here is that is wasn't clear Canadians decided that the "canucks" is a derogatory term, but more like southern US Americans (for which by some of the southern US population "canucks" IS used in a derogatory manner). To use this in an analogy everyone can understand.

As for the name change it's self, for people who call themselves CFL Fans, this should not be considered either a victory or a defeat, but a realization of the times. For some, this will bring sadness and a sense of loss as they have grown up with the name. Those CFL Fans who celebrate the change do so without understanding what other people have lost.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Never. Those who fought this hard on social media will forget about this 'victory' in short time. The outrage mob moves quickly to the next act, the next pleasure, the next hit of dopamine. Discontinuing the use of the name is not enough, now the demand for apologies and further reconciliation. The outrage mob moves on.

You can debate on how sincere the Team was in engaging northern communities in this conversation, the polling and the promise of continued engagement but in the end, this wasn't decided by the Team on their own terms, nor was it decided by the Inuit as a community, that is clear.

The conversation, which should have always been focused on how the Inuit as a community feel, went right to stopping racist name at whatever the costs. A "Don't worry Inuit, we got this for you, sit back." Seemly, a perverse type of racism in it's self. It's as if the activists assumed the Inuit were too fragile/hurt to speak up for themselves. I am not discounting individual experiences and feelings by people, this was an social media observation oh who was mostly doing the "fighting", including the Board of Directors of the Corporation that made a public threat, instead of making their concerns in a more private manner. It's very easy for both people and corporations to score "Social Points" off the backs of another's annihilation.

The point here is that is wasn't clear Canadians decided that the "canucks" is a derogatory term, but more like southern US Americans (for which by some of the southern US population "canucks" IS used in a derogatory manner). To use this in an analogy everyone can understand.

As for the name change it's self, for people who call themselves CFL Fans, this should not be considered either a victory or a defeat, but a realization of the times. For some, this will bring sadness and a sense of loss as they have grown up with the name. Those CFL Fans who celebrate the change do so without understanding what other people have lost.
    Couldn’t agree more, a very sensible and balanced viewpoint IMO👍
    Last edited by Argo57; 07-22-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is my vote. Elks has a history with the team. I hope it's not Empire. Lame....
    Thankfully, "Empire" is out.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/07/22/e...o-be-our-name/

I too hope they go with the Elk or Elks nickname.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Thankfully, "Empire" is out.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/07/22/e...o-be-our-name/

I too hope they go with the Elk or Elks nickname.
    Good.

“We did register some segment of Empire several years ago simply because that was our marketing campaign. But I do think there is too much of a negative connotation around that for that to be our name.”

Empire has a connection to colonialism, which is a practice of domination and involves the subjugation of one group of people to another.
    I found it pretty funny how a large number of fans (on social media) who agreed the Esks name was an issue also then pushed hard for Empire. Colonialism was my first thought. Like what Empire? Counter productive if you want patch things up with the Inuit population.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

I found it pretty funny how a large number of fans (on social media) who agreed the Esks name was an issue also then pushed hard for Empire. Colonialism was my first thought. Like what Empire? Counter productive if you want patch things up with the Inuit population.
    My feelings exactly. If you are going to change the name over sensibilities of people who were/are oppressed, Empire, the very definition of the use of power to control others regardless of what empire was involved, makes no sense at all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Of course, if they were to get creative and change the logo along with the name, they just might make a ton of money in new merch sales. Apparently that's what happened when the Washington Bullets changed to the Wizards.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Sorry to say, as a fan in his early 50's it's clear that the CFL could care less about me and is all in/doubling down on mob rule SJW's, an audience that largely doesn't even watch CFL football or sports in general, for that matter. As the league continues to destroy its' history and ram leftist political ideology down my throat, I'm no longer interested in watching a league that I did support for 40 or so years. You'll probably scoff me off as irrelevant, but that's pretty much what SJW culture does, doesn't it? So goodbye CFL until you show me that you are willing to value tradition and will once again become apolitical in public policy.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Good.
    Right!

I believe that since Italy was part of a fascist/racist military alliance with the German NAZI party - an alliance which wished to rule the world an exterminate countless minorities in the process - it's only fair that we erase all references to Italian culture and people having Italian sounding names should be forced to change them to a more culturally sensitive alternative that won't offend people.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrogorilla 2 View Post
    Right!

I believe that since Italy was part of a fascist/racist military alliance with the German NAZI party - an alliance which wished to rule the world an exterminate countless minorities in the process - it's only fair that we erase all references to Italian culture and people having Italian sounding names should be forced to change them to a more culturally sensitive alternative that won't offend people.
    OK. So you are saying this because you think I'm Italian? You come across as a major idiot.