Closed Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Jonestown getting close; a bit more time and patience please, and that genius will shine thru !

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    watching the BC at Edmonton snooze-fest...yes I LOVE THE CFL THAT MUCH to watch a stinker like this one. Elks going for a 21st straight home-field loss, breaking a 70 YEAR OLD RECORD. That's right, 70 years, in any pro sport. Even the Washington Generals didn't lose 21 in-a-row to the Harlem Globetrotters (or did they?) AND so at half-time it's a goose-egg on the board for Edmonton. AND to make it worse, Elks take over 130 yards IN PENALTIES in the FIRST HALF ALONE. here it comes...

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Lions-Elks July 29, end of 3rd Qtr. STILL a goose-egg for Elks, which means BC has held the Elks SCORELESS for 7 quarters this year. IN FACT, believe it or not, the Elks have not even crossed mid-field in this game. Seriously, mid-field. Most CFL teams do that with one good punt return in a typical game. Thinking of the Ron Lancaster coached Ticats club, going 1-and-17 a few years ago, with their only win coming in Overtime IIRC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueGuy View Post
    Lions-Elks July 29, end of 3rd Qtr. STILL a goose-egg for Elks, which means BC has held the Elks SCORELESS for 7 quarters this year. IN FACT, believe it or not, the Elks have not even crossed mid-field in this game. Seriously, mid-field. Most CFL teams do that with one good punt return in a typical game. Thinking of the Ron Lancaster coached Ticats club, going 1-and-17 a few years ago, with their only win coming in Overtime IIRC.
    I feel bad for every fan of this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I feel bad for every fan of this team.
    I don’t. In the grand scheme of things, their fan base has probably had the most consistency over the last 50 years of any team in the league. It’s simply their turn.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Oh boy, things getting desperate in Edmonton with Chris Jones demoting his best pal Stephen McAdoo.

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/31/e...inator-report/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    QB change: Edmonton Elks to name Jarret Doege or Tre Ford as new starter
    3Down Staff 3downnation.com July 31, 2023

The Edmonton Elks will have a new starting quarterback when they return from their bye week, though it remains unclear which passer will be at the helm.

“We’re gonna look at all avenues. Tre (Ford)’s gonna get a solid look. (Jarret) Doege, he’s gonna get a solid look,” head coach and general manager Chris Jones told the media. “We’re not gonna throw Taylor (Cornelius) out the door. He comes from a very good family, he’s got high character, he’ll do our third-down stuff and he will stay prepared. He’s not going to not go into the game. He’s a solid kid.”

The quarterback swap came after Jarious Jackson was promoted to the role of offensive coordinator, while Stephen McAdoo was demoted to an advisory role. Edmonton ranks last in a number of offensive categories and has scored an average of 13.1 per game amid an 0-8 start. The club was shut out for a second time this season in a 27-0 loss to the B.C. Lions on Saturday, prompting the coaching change.

Cornelius has started seven games for the Elks this season, completing 58.4 percent of his passes for 1,250 yards, four touchdowns, and nine interceptions. Doege replaced him as the starter in Week 4 but had a poor outing in his first career start, throwing for 223 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions in a 26-7 loss to the Ottawa Redblacks.

Ford has yet to see the field this season and was recently challenged by Jones to play better in practice. The six-foot-one, 185-pound passer was a first-round pick in the 2022 CFL Draft out of the University of Waterloo and made his first career start in Week 4 last season. He threw for 159 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in a win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats before suffering a shoulder injury early in the next game.

Jackson didn’t confirm who will start for the Elks in their next outing but appeared to give Ford a vote of confidence, at least when it came to his athleticism.

“He’s young, I know he won’t be perfect, he’ll make mistakes as well. But the one attribute that he does have and that he does do well is run with the football,” said the new offensive coordinator. “When things aren’t there or if the pocket’s breaking down, that kid has world class speed in my opinion. From that standpoint, I know he’ll be more apt to use his legs when he can.”

Jackson has previously served as the offensive coordinator for the B.C. Lions (2018-19) and Toronto Argonauts (2020-21). He played quarterback in the CFL for nine seasons and is hopeful that his experience will translate into improved performance for the Elks at the game’s most important position.

“From having a quarterback background, I think I can definitely get through to the quarterbacks with my play call and help them with execution on the field,” said Jackson.

“We have to definitely call things that suit to the quarterback as well as potentially pushing the ball down the field a little bit more, giving our guys that can stretch the field opportunities. It’s hard to go 12 to 18-play drives in this league. We don’t have Ricky Ray here, we don’t have Mike Reilly here. We have the guys that we have, so we have to do things that suit their strong points and bring out their capabilities as quarterbacks.”

The Elks are currently on their first bye week of the season but will return to host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Thursday, Aug. 10 with kickoff slated for 9:00 p.m. EDT.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    “We’re gonna look at all avenues. Tre (Ford)’s gonna get a solid look. (Jarret) Doege, he’s gonna get a solid look,” head coach and general manager Chris Jones told the media.
    Hmm, can't remember where I heard this (long ago) but they used to say American players were called by their first name by coaches and Canadian players were contemptuously called by their last name. Don't know where to go with this one, does he think Tre's American because he's black or Doege is Canadian because he's white? Jk

Boatman
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Think it makes sense to change up what quarterback starts. It's clear that Cornelius has lost his confidence and hasn't been able to effectively lead the offense in recent games. I can't remember how much has Tre Ford played this season? Maybe Jackson can shake things up abit and help Edmonton get a win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don’t. In the grand scheme of things, their fan base has probably had the most consistency over the last 50 years of any team in the league. It’s simply their turn.
    Their turn to be so bad they break records? That doesn't make any sense.

They are so bad, it's making the league look bad.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Their turn to be so bad they break records? That doesn't make any sense.

They are so bad, it's making the league look bad.
    Totally agree, not just that post but when some hate on a team and the plight of that team is detrimental to the league, I don't get it.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Edmonton Elks name Canadian QB Tre Ford starter for Week 10 matchup vs. Bombers
    3Down Staff 3downnation.com August 4, 2023

The Edmonton Elks have named Canadian quarterback Tre Ford as their starter for Week 10, according to reports by 630 CHED’s Morley Scott and Reid Wilkins.

Head coach and general manager Chris Jones made the announcement following practice on Friday, as the team made their return to action after a bye week. The organization revealed on Monday that their previous starter, Taylor Cornelius, would be demoted to short-yardage duties going forward but had not yet named a replacement between Ford and American rookie Jarret Doege.

Ford has yet to see the field this season and was recently challenged by Jones to play better in practice. The six-foot-one, 185-pound passer was a first-round pick in the 2022 CFL Draft out of the University of Waterloo and made his first career start in Week 4 last season. He threw for 159 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in a win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats — the first by a USports quarterback since 1985. He started again the next week against the Calgary Stampeders but exited early after suffering a shoulder injury.

The Niagara Falls, Ont. native made one final start against the B.C. Lions in mid-October after Edmonton had already been eliminated from postseason contention. He completed 22-of-36 pass attempts for 242 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions while running the ball eight times for 72 yards.

Ford won the Hec Crighton Trophy as the best player in U Sports football in 2021, completing 63 percent of his passes for 1,770 yards, 12 touchdowns, and six interceptions while rushing 66 times for 667 yards and three touchdowns in seven games. In 33 career games for the Warriors, he completed 69 percent of his passes for 8,003 yards, 64 touchdowns, and 22 interceptions while rushing for 2,816 yards and 19 majors.

The Waterloo product caught the attention of scouts on both sides of the border due to his freakish athleticism, recording a 4.45-second forty-yard dash, 36-inch vertical jump, ten-foot, five-inch broad jump, 6.85-second three-cone drill, and 4.27-second shuttle in the pre-draft process. He attended rookie mini-camp with the Baltimore Ravens in 2022 and logged tryouts with the New England Patriots and Las Vegas Raiders this offseason.

The quarterback swap for the Elks comes after Jarious Jackson was promoted to the role of offensive coordinator, while Stephen McAdoo was demoted to an advisory role. Edmonton ranks last in a number of offensive categories and has scored an average of 13.1 per game amid an 0-8 start. The club was shut out for a second time this season in a 27-0 loss to the B.C. Lions on Saturday, prompting the coaching change.

The Elks (0-8) are scheduled to host the West Division-leading Winnipeg Blue Bombers (6-2) on Thursday, August 10. Last week, the team set a North American pro sports record with their 21st consecutive home loss.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    3DownNation CFL picks: can Tre Ford lead Edmonton Elks to first win of season?
    3Down Staff August 10, 2023

Thursday, Aug. 10: Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Edmonton Elks — 9:00 p.m. EDT

The Edmonton Elks have finally made a quarterback change following the demotion of offensive coordinator Stephen McAdoo, naming Tre Ford as their starting quarterback. The second-year Canadian passer went 1-2 as a starter last season, though he suffered an injury early in one of those losses. He’s faced with a tough task this week as the Blue Bombers are coming off a huge win over the B.C. Lions, though Winnipeg has struggled to defend against mobile quarterbacks at times this season.

DUNK: Tre Ford creates energy for Edmonton and problems for Winnipeg.
    Straight-up: BOMBERS. Against the spread: ELKS.

HODGE: Unless Tre Ford runs for 200 yards, Edmonton has no chance.
    Straight-up: BOMBERS. Against the spread: BOMBERS.

ABBOTT: Tre Ford’s 4.4 speed ain’t enough to win, but it is enough to cover.

BALLANTINE: People I’ve spoken to who watch the Elks regularly aren’t expecting much more from Ford, which is a bad sign for Edmonton.

FILOSO: Tre Ford instantly makes the Elks better, but Winnipeg is still Winnipeg.

GASSON: Edmonton will get a coaching change bump but is it enough against one of the best teams in the league?

GRANT: The Elks are coming off a bye with their most dangerous quarterback now at the helm and Winnipeg just crushed their only competition in the West. I smell an upset.
    Straight-up: ELKS. Against the spread: ELKS.

HOSKINS: Edmonton’s changes give them a bump but they’re still playing one of the most dangerous teams in the league. I’ll say they keep it closer than expected.

KLEIN: This could be a letdown spot for Winnipeg after last week’s big win, but they could suffer a massive letdown and still be better than Edmonton.

MCGUIRE: How is the betting line only 12.5 points? Chris Jones is setting Tre Ford up to fail.

SMITH: Tre Ford, Dee Ford, Ford Bronco. Winnipeg by a million.

TOTALS STRAIGHT-UP: Winnipeg 10, Edmonton 1
    TOTALS AGAINST THE SPREAD: Edmonton 6, Winnipeg 5

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I knew a 22-0 Elks lead was too good to be true.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I knew a 22-0 Elks lead was too good to be true.
    In a warped way if Collaros doesn't get injured I don't think the Bombers come back. He wasn't on.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    In a warped way if Collaros doesn't get injured I don't think the Bombers come back. He wasn't on.
    I agree, he seemed rattled.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gotta love Chris Jones….I guess?

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/11/w...-play-calling/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Ford was right, it was very conservative play calling. If their intention was to keep it simple for him because he hadn't played in a while, I get it but they were at a point where confidence was running high and they could have been more daring.

If you follow behavioural psychology, you could tell there was not a lot of like for Ford in Jones' words. I am not supporting Ford just because he's Canadian (and even better from USports), if he can't do the job I am not going to blindly support him but Jones' comments are BS.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Ford was right, it was very conservative play calling. If their intention was to keep it simple for him because he hadn't played in a while, I get it but they were at a point where confidence was running high and they could have been more daring.

If you follow behavioural psychology, you could tell there was not a lot of like for Ford in Jones' words. I am not supporting Ford just because he's Canadian (and even better from USports), if he can't do the job I am not going to blindly support him but Jones' comments are BS.
    100% correct, Jones pissed because he knows Ford is correct.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    100% correct, Jones pissed because he knows Ford is correct.
    Maybe he was, maybe not. Ford last season had trouble throwing the intermediate routes into the hole. He had 1 such pass last night, and it was picked (Suitor tried to partially blame the receiver, but it was a bad throw behind him). Ford threw a beautiful deep ball, but as a QB, a 1 on 1 coverage deep post, is one of your easier throws. Throwing into windows against a zone is what sets passers apart. Not saying Ford will not get really good at it, but like I said, it's where he struggled passing last year too. I just hope he gets the ball the rest of the year and an opportunity to develop. He is an amazing athlete who with more experience will turn into a really good QB.