Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrogorilla 2 View Post
    Sorry to say, as a fan in his early 50's it's clear that the CFL could care less about me and is all in/doubling down on mob rule SJW's, an audience that largely doesn't even watch CFL football or sports in general, for that matter. As the league continues to destroy its' history and ram leftist political ideology down my throat, I'm no longer interested in watching a league that I did support for 40 or so years. You'll probably scoff me off as irrelevant, but that's pretty much what SJW culture does, doesn't it? So goodbye CFL until you show me that you are willing to value tradition and will once again become apolitical in public policy.
    Quitting never solves anything, having the courage to stand up for what you believe means more. The people you are talking about are very adept at social media, trying to cancel other's opinions and putting themselves into positions where they can control the narrative. But ordinary folk are getting smarter and now seemingly less patient and hopefully will stand up before a force that won't be good for anybody comes along.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrogorilla 2 View Post
    Sorry to say, as a fan in his early 50's it's clear that the CFL could care less about me and is all in/doubling down on mob rule SJW's, an audience that largely doesn't even watch CFL football or sports in general, for that matter. As the league continues to destroy its' history and ram leftist political ideology down my throat, I'm no longer interested in watching a league that I did support for 40 or so years. You'll probably scoff me off as irrelevant, but that's pretty much what SJW culture does, doesn't it? So goodbye CFL until you show me that you are willing to value tradition and will once again become apolitical in public policy.
    I think a lot of people can identify with your thinking.
    Last edited by doubleblue; 08-01-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    TSN's all-time Edmonton team is described on the url below. As great as Ricky Ray was at QB, I would have picked five time in six years Grey Cup winner Warren Moon as the team's QB. I also would have picked James Quick Parker for the DL as he defined what a rush DE is.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/tsn-s-a...nton%7E2005765

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    TSN's all-time Edmonton team is described on the url below. As great as Ricky Ray was at QB, I would have picked five time in six years Grey Cup winner Warren Moon as the team's QB. I also would have picked James Quick Parker for the DL as he defined what a rush DE is.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/tsn-s-a...nton%7E2005765
    Parker had a longer, more dominant career with the Lions than the Eskimos, did he not?

I agree re Moon over Ray. Altho TSN selected Moon as a "foundational" player, something they likely could not have justified with Ray.

I note equipment manager Dwayne Mandrusiak was selected as foundational. IMO TSN should bestow the same honour on Danny Webb, perhaps negating the need to name our long snapper to the team solely to meet the "one current player" requirement.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Parker had a longer, more dominant career with the Lions than the Eskimos, did he not?

I agree re Moon over Ray. Altho TSN selected Moon as a "foundational" player, something they likely could not have justified with Ray.

I note equipment manager Dwayne Mandrusiak was selected as foundational. IMO TSN should bestow the same honour on Danny Webb, perhaps negating the need to name our long snapper to the team solely to meet the "one current player" requirement.
    TSN still named Sewell to the Edmonton team so I don't think the Argos will dodge that requirement.

I agree it was a silly requirement, for the Argos it creates the biggest problems.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    An Angus Reid poll of Canadians and CFL fans about the Eskimo name that also questioned the league's fanbase demographics found differences in opinion not only about the team's name but also about the demographics of the fanbase.

A recent poll by the Angus Reid Institute (no relation to former B.C. centre Angus Reid) found that while the majority of Canadians approve of the Edmonton Football Team’s recent decision to change its name from the Edmonton Eskimos, the majority of CFL fans are in opposition.

The online poll was conducted over two days with a representative sample of 1,519 Canadians who are members of the Angus Reid Forum. It showed that while 57% percent of Canadians approved of the change, 55% percent of CFL fans did not. There was a significant regional disparity as well, with Alberta (58%) and Saskatchewan (54%) being the only provinces with majority disapproval. ...

The name change was overwhelmingly favoured by young people, women, those with a university education and those who voted Liberal or NDP. The only demographics in which the majority was opposed to the change were men over the age of 55, those with a high school education or less, and Conservative voters. Coincidentally, those demographics were disproportionately followers of the CFL.

The poll pointed to significant demographic challenges faced by the CFL, with just 5% of respondents identifying themselves as die hard fans and 14% as casual fans. Those numbers were skewed significantly towards older individuals with just 13% of those under 35 identifying as a fan compared to 26% in the 65 and over category. Fandom was particularly clustered in low population provinces like Saskatchewan and Manitoba, with marginal interest in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. ...

The Edmonton name change appeases demographics that the CFL desperately needs to attract, but it remains to be seen if it will move the needle in a positive direction or alienate the league’s core base.

When it comes to a new name, 26% of those polled thought Eagles would be the best nickname while those in Alberta preferred the Edmonton Energy. The Edmonton Elks, a name once used by the club before Eskimos, was the second most popular choice among both groups.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/08/07/m...n-name-change/

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    "Edmonton Energy" is new (to me), but I like it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    "Edmonton Energy" is new (to me), but I like it!
    Rooted in the evils of fossil fuel production and consumption, I suspect environmentalists will find this highly offensive.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Chance of a lifetime for Edmonton. Everyone is thinking of how to keep the EE. I would go for Alberta over Edmonton in an effort to broaden appeal and tick off Calgary.

"Alberta Proud". Team would be known as Alberta, the Proud, or the Alberta Proud. Might heat up the already hot Labour Day rivalry.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Edmonton El Chapo. Because drug lords are people too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    C J Gable who first said he was considering retiring in February is still considering. He says that some days he feels like retiring, some days not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    WR Ricky Collins who opted out of his CFL contract in August has opted back in for 2021. He had 78 receptions for 1,103 yards in 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Edmonton is working with an outside agency to communicate with its many stakeholders on a new name, logo, merchandise and stadium signage. It expects to have both by the early spring.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Edmonton has restructured former Argo Trevor Harris' contract and announced 13 re-signings.

“Trevor approached me about restructuring his contract for the better of the team,” Edmonton GM and VP of football operations Brock Sunderland said in the team’s statement. He is the consummate team player and has done this throughout his career, as he is always looking for ways to help the organization and his teammates out. Knowing what dollar amount he’d be at allows us to start planning accordingly for the rest of the team. ...

There was an immediate trickle down from Harris’ news. With more money available for the rest of the team, there were 13 signings announced on the same day. That includes star d-lineman Kwaku Boateng, who will stay in Edmonton through 2021. ...

Among the 12 signings the team announced after Harris and Boateng are o-linemen David Beard and Jacob Ruby, receivers Rodney Smith, Shakeir Ryan, Jimmy Ralph, Josh Stangby and Danny Vandervoort. In his pay cut comes targets that he’ll connect with and big, hulking bodies that will continue to protect him. On the defensive side of the ball, DB Jonathan Mincy, safety Jermaine Gabriel, d-lineman Mike Moore and linebackers Brandon Pittman and Maxime Rouyer will all get a chance to impact the game and cause that chaos that QBs like Harris hate to deal with.

When the league’s list of pending free agents was released, Edmonton was slated to be one of the busiest teams in the league, with 49 players to make decisions on. As of Monday, Dec. 28, that list is now down to 39, with six weeks left before the free agency market opens.
    There’s still work to be done and decisions to be made on some big name players — Greg Ellingson, Matt O’Donnell, SirVincent Rogers, Almondo Sewell, Sean Whyte and Terry Williams to name a few — but Sunderland was able to put a dent in that list before this miserable year closed out. That may not have been possible without his star QB making a play in a year where we didn’t have Canadian football.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2020/12/28/oleary...eam-help-2021/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Eskimos have been busy signing many of their free agents and adding new players. Some of the better known names include former Argo WR Derel Walker, who previously spent 4 years with Edmonton before gaining 1040 yards with the Argos in 2019, as well as 2016 Outstanding Outstanding OL Derek Dennis, DB Jonathan Rose, who played four years in Ottawa where he had 9 turnovers in 2018, and WR Mike Jones, a four year National with Hamilton who had 841 receiving yards in 2018, his best year. They have also added a number of other players.

Tommie Draheim is a four-year CFL veteran having spent the prior two seasons in Edmonton. The Kennewick, Washington product has started 14 games for the EE Football Team, split between both the left and right tackle position.

Eric Lofton
    spent parts of three seasons in the CFL, appearing in six games split between the EE Football Team and Ottawa RedBlacks. Prior to his time in the CFL, Lofton played at the University of Temple where he was named a First-Team All-Conference, American Athletic Conference player in 2015.

Robert Priester
    spent the 2018 season on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers practice roster and the 2019 season on the EE football Team practice roster. In 2020, Priester started five games for the Tampa Bay Vipers of the XFL, recording seven tackles, one sack, and one interception.

Jean-Simon Roy
    was a second round (14th overall) pick in the 2017 CFL Draft by the EE Football Team. Roy spent the 2019 season with the BC Lions, but was reacquired as a free-agent by the EE Football Team in February 2020.

Trumaine Washington
    was originally signed by the EE Football Team during 2020 free-agency and has yet to appear in a game for the club. In two seasons with the Toronto Argonauts the 25-year-old has played in 25 games, accumulating 56 tackles, five interceptions, one forced fumble.

Terry Williams
    spent his first three seasons in the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders prior to being signed as a free-agent by the EE football Team in February 2020. In his three seasons, Williams has scored eight touchdowns (five rushing and three on punt returns). Williams set a Grey Cup record at the Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium with a 97-yard punt return touchdown in the 2018 game against the Ottawa RedBlacks.

Vontae Diggs
    will be entering his second full season with the EE Football Team after being named the club’s Rookie of the Year in 2019. During his first season with the Green and Gold, Diggs recorded 84 total tackles, along with two sacks, one interception, and one forced fumble.

Tanner Green
    was a fourth-round-pick (32nd overall) in the 2018 CFL draft by the EE Football Team. The Lacombe, AB product has since become an important special teams player in his first two seasons, recording 19 special teams tackles in 20 games.

Scott Hutter
    was a sixth-round-pick (50th overall) in the 2019 CFL draft by the EE Football Team. In eight career CFL games, the Wilfred Laurier product has recorded 11 special teams tackles.

Tevaun Smith
    was the EE Football Team’s first pick (8th overall) in the 2016 CFL draft. Smith spent three seasons in the NFL split between the Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders, and Jacksonville Jaguars before arriving in Edmonton in 2019. In his first season with the Green and Gold, Smith caught 55 passes for 632 yards and six touchdowns.

Sean Whyte
    will be entering his sixth season with the EE football Team. The White Rock, BC native has never had a field goal percentage below 87% as a member of the Green and Gold. In his 11-year CFL career, Whyte has accumulated 1415 points and holds the EE Football Team record for consecutive field goals made (25).

Walter Fletcher
    Running back (American) Born: December 17, 1996 – Columbia, MD College: Ball State Height: 5.9 Weight: 191

Robert PriesterAmerican defensive back (Wyoming)

Tevaughn Grant
    Defensive end (American) Born: September 26, 1997 – Paterson, NJ College: Wagner Height: 6.2 Weight: 250
    https://www.esks.com/2020/12/30/ee-f...ve-sign-three/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Scott Milanovich leaves Edmonton before coaching a game.
    Don’t blame him one bit, a lot of uncertainty heading into the 2021 CFL season.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...juwsHQLv-eCvWV
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Scott Milanovich leaves Edmonton before coaching a game.
    Don’t blame him one bit, a lot of uncertainty heading into the 2021 CFL season.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...juwsHQLv-eCvWV
    I still hate to see him leave the CFL. I have been a big fan, and there will be a lot of people taking shots at him for this.

I guess this is an opportunity for Jamie Elizondo (do you remember Fungi used to refer to him as the tennis player?) to get a head coaching gig he has wanted for some time. He has ties to Sunderland and had good success with Trevor Harris in Ottawa.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I still hate to see him leave the CFL. I have been a big fan, and there will be a lot of people taking shots at him for this.

I guess this is an opportunity for Jamie Elizondo (do you remember Fungi used to refer to him as the tennis player?) to get a head coaching gig he has wanted for some time. He has ties to Sunderland and had good success with Trevor Harris in Ottawa.
    Overall I am also a Milanovich fan, put up with a lot of BS during his time in Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Overall I am also a Milanovich fan, put up with a lot of BS during his time in Toronto.
    Scott's staff he had in Toronto has to be one of the best ever assembled in the CFL. Because many of them have gone on to HC's or better positions. Trying to remember everyone. Jones was the DC, Mike O'Shea had ST's, Marcus Brady Off Coord, Jason Maas QB's, Jamie Elizondo RB's, Orlando Steinauer DB's and I believe Stephen McAdoo was the OLine Coach. 5 Head Coaches and maybe more before they're done. Can't remember who the DL Coach was. Jim Barker the GM

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Scott's staff he had in Toronto has to be one of the best ever assembled in the CFL. Because many of them have gone on to HC's or better positions. Trying to remember everyone. Jones was the DC, Mike O'Shea had ST's, Marcus Brady Off Coord, Jason Maas QB's, Jamie Elizondo RB's, Orlando Steinauer DB's and I believe Stephen McAdoo was the OLine Coach. 5 Head Coaches and maybe more before they're done. Can't remember who the DL Coach was. Jim Barker the GM
    Correct, doesn’t get much better than that group.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions