Closed Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Looks like the Esks have hired Sunderland.
    A name many wanted the Argonauts to consider earlier this off season.

http://www.tsn.ca/sunderland-to-be-n...os-gm-1.731371
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Edmonton is now holding its first mini-camp under new GM Brock Sunderland, based on the previous GM's decisions, as Sunderland has not had the time to make changes in the team's approach yet.

With so much effort over this past month spent on getting their own house in order during a change in general managers, the Edmonton Eskimos have now switched their focus onto the road.
    Coaches and quarterbacks are at the University of Nevada – Las Vegas for mini-camp from Sunday to Tuesday, along with a host of hopefuls aiming to join the roster for the 2017 CFL season.
    “It’s an exciting time of year when these camps start going,” said head coach Jason Maas. “Montreal kicked off all the CFL mini-camps (in early April) and any time you hear teams are already getting better, it’s an anxious time of year and you just want to follow suit.
    “It’s been a long off-season, bottom line. The last game we played was in November. We’ve made some changes with our players and in the organization and you kind of want to go out and see.”

The interruption made by Ed Hervey’s sudden dismissal on April 7, followed by the hiring of new GM and vice-president of football operations Brock Sunderland did nothing to halt the organization’s day-to-day duties of analyzing up-and-coming talent over the off-season.
    “The scouting department’s done a great job going out and locating the players we feel are going to give us the best opportunity to win and now it’s time for the coaching staff to get the eyes on them,” Maas said. “So when you go out and watch guys that are on the field in green and gold that are part of what we do, it’s always going to be an exciting time of year.”
    Eskimos scouts and coaches have been hot on the talent trail on the open tryout circuit throughout the U.S. since March 11, and mini-camp offers the first chance to see it all start to come together alongside a few players already under contract.
    “It will be the quarterbacks and a small group of guys, whether they were on the practice roster last year or guys that we just feel like we want to see a little bit more of,” Maas said. “We think it’s important at times to get them down there.”
    As for the potential new recruits, a final number was still being compiled in the days leading up to mini-camp, but last year’s outing at Historic Dodgertown in Vero Beach, Fla., saw 54 invitees.
    “Right now, it’s a fluid number,” Maas said. “More than anything, we’re looking for the best players that we can find, get them all on the field, judge them and, from there, some of them move on.
    “The guys we deem can make our team or give our guys a run for the money in (training camp at the end of May) are the guys that move on.”
    The spotlight is on a number of positions that lost American starters from last year. Wide receiver Derel Walker (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and linebacker Deon Lacey (Miami Dolphins) went to the NFL in free agency this off-season, while other vacated spots include: D’Anthony Batiste at right tackle, cornerbacks Patrick Watkins and Cord Parks, as well as another American defensive tackle to start alongside all-star Almondo Sewell in a role previously held by Canadians.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...t-time-in-2017

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Eskies just released an great inspirational video on Twitter. http://www.esks.com/2017/05/02/one-empire/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    EDMONTON ESKIMOS WOMEN'S DINNER PROCEEDS ESCEED $500,000

When Hugh Campbell was the Edmonton Eskimos’ President and CEO, Pam Monastyrskyj was the heartbeat of the CFL team’s front office.

Monastyrskyj spent more than 21 years with the Eskimos’ organization, including 18 years as Campbell’s executive assistant, until she lost a four-year battle with ovarian cancer at the age of 45 in 2005.

The Edmonton Eskimos Women’s Dinner was created by co-workers, friends and fans to honour the woman who was very passionate about the Esks, loved to laugh and represented courage, strength and grace. More than $450,000 has been raised through the annual dinner, which began in 2009 to provide long-term sustainable funding for ovarian cancer research for physicians and researchers at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women. That number will surpass the $500,000 mark this year.

“Ovarian cancer, unfortunately, is often caught too late once the cancer has spread so the prognosis tends to be bad,” said Dr. Lynne-Marie Postovit, who leads a team of investigators doing ovarian cancer research in the University of Alberta’s Department of Oncology. “Like any cancer, if we can catch it earlier, we have a better chance of curing the cancer.”

Dr. Postovit is hopeful the recent discovery of “about 10 proteins that we think might be able to identify ovarian cancers” could help detect the disease earlier than usual within the next year or so.

“It’s always hard to be working so diligently on something and not be able to do something right now for that person,” she continued. “These ladies are all so incredibly inspirational so they’re fighting, not just for themselves, but often for their daughters, for their friends, for the ladies who come after them.”

Proceeds from the Edmonton Eskimos Women’s Dinner have been used to dedicate a room in Monastyrskyj’s honour at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women and fund significant room upgrades so the hospital can continue to deliver the compassionate patient care to those in their time of need.

Interest from the Edmonton Eskimos Women’s Ovarian Cancer Research Endowment fund is part of the $1 million in funding the Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation provides every year to the Women and Children’s Health Research Institute for sustained research in women’s health concerns and diseases, including ovarian cancer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Eskimo LG remembers what his 2009 Draft Day was like when he was selected #1 overall by Hamilton.

Edmonton Eskimos offensive lineman Simeon Rottier was so busy in the spring of 2009 that he almost didn’t have time for the CFL Draft.
    “I was trying to finish up school and we got married on April 18,” recalled Rottier. “It was just before the draft, so I had a lot on my mind.
    “It was an exciting year, for sure,” he said. “Once I found out I was getting drafted, that was pretty cool. That was an exciting day, too.” ...
    He became the first member of the University of Alberta Golden Bears to be selected No. 1 in the CFL Draft. ...

“Being a No. 1 pick was cool, don’t get me wrong, but I didn’t look at it as all of a sudden I had extra privileges,” Rottier said. “I didn’t look at myself as any better than anyone else who got drafted. … Being picked No. 1 doesn’t mean anything unless you do something with it.
    “I was a little bit surprised when they had the ratings out and I was No. 1,” he continued. “I was pretty sure I was getting drafted, right, so I was more thinking about getting a chance. I wasn’t too worried about where I went in the draft, just getting the opportunity, I guess.” ...

Rottier spend draft day with both his family and his wife’s family, although he had to have his phone handy and be ready to answer a couple of questions after he was chosen by the Ti-Cats.
    “It was pretty cool to be able to share that with both my families,” he said. “It was a bit of a whirlwind. My goal was always to go as far as I could in football, but when … they said you’re getting drafted, it’s kind of surreal.”
    http://www.esks.com/2017/05/04/no-1-pick-cool/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looks like Eskimos are reporting a $1.4 million profit for 2016 at their AGM today
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-09-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    EDMONTON ESKIMOS WOMEN'S DINNER PROCEEDS ESCEED $500,000

When Hugh Campbell was the Edmonton Eskimos’ President and CEO, Pam Monastyrskyj was the heartbeat of the CFL team’s front office.

Monastyrskyj spent more than 21 years with the Eskimos’ organization, including 18 years as Campbell’s executive assistant, until she lost a four-year battle with ovarian cancer at the age of 45 in 2005.

The Edmonton Eskimos Women’s Dinner was created by co-workers, friends and fans to honour the woman who was very passionate about the Esks, loved to laugh and represented courage, strength and grace. More than $450,000 has been raised through the annual dinner, which began in 2009 to provide long-term sustainable funding for ovarian cancer research for physicians and researchers at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women. That number will surpass the $500,000 mark this year.

“Ovarian cancer, unfortunately, is often caught too late once the cancer has spread so the prognosis tends to be bad,” said Dr. Lynne-Marie Postovit, who leads a team of investigators doing ovarian cancer research in the University of Alberta’s Department of Oncology. “Like any cancer, if we can catch it earlier, we have a better chance of curing the cancer.”

Dr. Postovit is hopeful the recent discovery of “about 10 proteins that we think might be able to identify ovarian cancers” could help detect the disease earlier than usual within the next year or so.

“It’s always hard to be working so diligently on something and not be able to do something right now for that person,” she continued. “These ladies are all so incredibly inspirational so they’re fighting, not just for themselves, but often for their daughters, for their friends, for the ladies who come after them.”

Proceeds from the Edmonton Eskimos Women’s Dinner have been used to dedicate a room in Monastyrskyj’s honour at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women and fund significant room upgrades so the hospital can continue to deliver the compassionate patient care to those in their time of need.

Interest from the Edmonton Eskimos Women’s Ovarian Cancer Research Endowment fund is part of the $1 million in funding the Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation provides every year to the Women and Children’s Health Research Institute for sustained research in women’s health concerns and diseases, including ovarian cancer.
    Great cause!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looks like Eskimos are reporting a $1.6 million profit for 2016 at their AGM today
    Shouldn't profitable clubs have the option to invest more into talent, ie a sliding players salary cap?
    To rise
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-09-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Shouldn't profit able clubs have the option to invest more into talent, ie a sliding players salary cap?
    To rise
    Then it wouldn't be a cap. And I bet the Esks prefer the cost certainty of a hard cap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, I am sure they do. But what can a community based team do with a profit. They are essentially non-profit entities. Not like they can distribute this back to shareholders. Why not reinvest in product?
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-10-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes, I am sure they do. But what can a comminibased team do with a profit. They are essentially non-profit entities. Not like they can distribute this back to shareholders. Why not reinvest in product?
    Well, they will be paying 2 GM's this year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Press done CEO Len Rhodes gets it! At the team, stadium and CFL level he lays out his vision to bring 40,000 fans to the stadium. They say "the proof is in the eating of the pudding." Well, $2.1 million in profit from football operations says it all. Millions reinvested in game experience, plus $600,000 to minor league football annually. Enjoy his interview below:

https://www.esks.com/2017/05/09/pres...ks-at-the-agm/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    VP & GM Brock Sunderland talks about transitioning to the Eskimos, as well as player signings and releases.

http://www.esks.com/2017/05/09/gmvp-...-talks-at-agm/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Press done CEO Len Rhodes gets it! At the team, stadium and CFL level he lays out his vision to bring 40,000 fans to the stadium. They say "the proof is in the eating of the pudding." Well, $2.1 million in profit from football operations says it all. Millions reinvested in game experience, plus $600,000 to minor league football annually. Enjoy his interview below:

https://www.esks.com/2017/05/09/pres...ks-at-the-agm/
    $2.1M in profit is great. But the Esks' attendance actually went DOWN, to just over 30,000, so not sure why we'd salute him for his vision of 40,000.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    $2.1M in profit is great. But the Esks' attendance actually went DOWN, to just over 30,000, so not sure why we'd salute him for his vision of 40,000.
    There attendance declined 2.3%? But revenues up! Oh, to have such problems.

I do get alarmed when I hear STHs down 50%.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Eskimos have signed National RB Johnny Augustine from the University of Guelph.

http://www.esks.com/2017/05/15/eskimos-transaction-17/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    National WR Andrew Johnson has retired.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/27/es...jen-colquhoun/
    Eskimos agree to terms with 2016 second rounder, DB Arjen Colquhoun. Canadian defensive back Arjen Colquhoun has agreed to terms with the Eskimos, he’s traveling to Edmonton today and once there pen will be put to paper on the official contract, per sources.
    Could be a big boost for the Eskies. Very good in college IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    In addition to adding Colquhon, the Esks just drafted (and signed) a bunch of good young Canadian D talent: MLB Chris Mulumba was the steal of the draft in the 3rd round IMO (i guess some teams were scared of some NFL interest or else had no use for a blue chip Canadian linebacker talent?). Safety prospect Jordan Hoover could push for playing time soon maybe - probably much quicker/better athlete than current starter Neil King. And they managed to get a couple of top-rated DEs in Boateng & Mark Makie in the later rounds (again - i guess a bunch of CFL teams have no use for NI DEs ?)

Most likely the Esks go with an all import D-line with the talent they have there now, so Boateng & Mackie can be viewed as just depth or back-up projects; but Mulumba might play soon or some - to spell either Sherritt or Greenwood. Colquhon, along with free agent signing Andrew Lue, might be given a shot to start at corner as part of their 7 NIs only plan? Safety and Greenwood at OLB being 2 other NI D spots? - so then they would need just 4 on offence (3 interior O-linemen, plus just one NI receiver ? - they started 3 NI receivers in their 5 pack some of last season ?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    In addition to adding Colquhon, the Esks just drafted (and signed) a bunch of good young Canadian D talent: MLB Chris Mulumba was the steal of the draft in the 3rd round IMO (i guess some teams were scared of some NFL interest or else had no use for a blue chip Canadian linebacker talent?). Safety prospect Jordan Hoover could push for playing time soon maybe - probably much quicker/better athlete than current starter Neil King. And they managed to get a couple of top-rated DEs in Boateng & Mark Makie in the later rounds (again - i guess a bunch of CFL teams have no use for NI DEs ?)

Most likely the Esks go with an all import D-line with the talent they have there now, so Boateng & Mackie can be viewed as just depth or back-up projects; but Mulumba might play soon or some - to spell either Sherritt or Greenwood. Colquhon, along with free agent signing Andrew Lue, might be given a shot to start at corner as part of their 7 NIs only plan? Safety and Greenwood at OLB being 2 other NI D spots? - so then they would need just 4 on offence (3 interior O-linemen, plus just one NI receiver ? - they started 3 NI receivers in their 5 pack some of last season ?)
    I read a tweet which indicated that Colquhon is "pencilled in" for safety. Greenwood was carted off the field today though so perhaps Colquhon may have to be considered at corner after all.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force