Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Tiger-Cats to take interim tag off Jones
    http://www.tsn.ca/tiger-cats-to-take...jones-1.923347

Not surprising, and it'll be interesting to see how he builds the Ticats (with Tillman finding him players).
    I wonder how long Austin stays in the Hammer though, what exactly does he do now ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I agree that June Jones was the key to Hamilton's turnaround, as Andy Fantuz discusses in the podcast below. Fantod also discusses how the Argos stopped their drive for the playoffs.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-115...round-1.922055

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Johnny Manziel, who is still on the Hamilton negotiation list, is one step closer to meeting the conditions set by Ambrosie before he can sign a CFL contract.

From the Dallas News:
    Manziel was accused of kidnapping, beating and threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend in January 2016. The ex said the alleged abuse, during a fight over another woman, left her deaf in one ear.
    The maximum punishment for a conviction on the misdemeanor charge would have been a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
    But Manziel reached an agreement last year with the Dallas County district attorney’s office to get his misdemeanor assault charge dismissed if he agreed to a set of conditions that included rehab and anger management help.
    It appears he’s completed those requirements. The charge was dismissed this month, records show.
    The league required Manziel be assessed by an expert in domestic violence prevention before signing a contract with any club after Manziel activated the 10-day window that required Hamilton offer him a contract earlier this year. The league subsequently extended the timeline so it could complete its review.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/11/29/manziels-assault-charge-dismissed/

Last edited by jerrym; 12-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Tiger Cats have announced that June Jones has signed for the 2018 season.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...jones-is-back/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It looks as though June signed a 3 year deal, and it sounds as though Ambrosie has signed off on the potential Manziel signing. Things are moving forward in the Hammer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    It looks as though June signed a 3 year deal, and it sounds as though Ambrosie has signed off on the potential Manziel signing. Things are moving forward in the Hammer.
    Looks like Masoli and Manziel at QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Looks like Masoli and Manziel at QB.
    Good they can have Manziel!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I'm not so sure Manziel will fit in and I'm glad the Argos are not taking the risk, but the important thing for him now is what June Jones and Ambrosie thinks.

If Jones were to have Manziel at his disposal he believes the former Cleveland Brown could fit well into his offence.
    “I could plug him in very, very easily. I think he’s I worked him out twice and his arm strength is much better than I thought it was,” Jones continued. “I really think if he makes a commitment to come up here for three or four years that he’ll write his own ticket if he wants to go play in the NFL again. It’ll be a Warren Moon situation, to be quite honest. I think he has the potential to be a great football player.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/04/jones-...ffence-easily/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My 2 cents.
    Jones said he wants to settle the QB situation. I really think he wants Masoli and Manziel. But that only works if they get Masoli on an incentive based contract.(then the same for Manziel)
    Assuming they'll start now on resigning Masoli, and if they do, then Collaros is trade bait or released.
    If Masoli wants 400K or more gaurenteed and is willing to try free agency it puts the Cats in a bind.

As for Collaros, I don't know why anyone would trade for a 500K QB. Wait for his release and sign a more cap friendly contract.
    With so many FA QB's, there's a lot of options.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Good they can have Manziel!
    Hilarious - can't wait for this guy to be handed the starter job over Masoli and then re-write CFL passing records on way to an easy Pussycats GC win.

The good ole CFL = some things never change. Poor June will be really hampered trying to find just 7 only NIs to start to help surround Johnny Football though; maybe go with mostly imports on offence, and then hope his defence with some inferior NIs could hang around in shoot-out games with the Johnny led offence putting up 50+ points a game ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tiger Cat CEO Scott Mitchell outlines what the plans for Austin, Jones, Corollas, Masoli and Manziel below.

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/05/ti...i-and-manziel/

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    West coast shocker: Stefan Ptaszek accepts job at UBC
    Justin Dunk 3downnation December 9, 2017

Stefan Ptaszek is taking his talents to Kits Beach.

The former McMaster Mauraders head coach has spent the last two seasons as the offensive coordinator of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats but will return to the Canadian university ranks as the OC of the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds.

In doing so, the 46-year-old is turning down at least one head coaching opportunity – sources say the University of Toronto coveted the 46-year-old for their top job – in order to take a coordinator position. But after two years with the Ticats and having already won a Vanier Cup at Mac, Ptaszek is ready for a different challenge.

“For my personal health, the UBC offer is the one,” Ptaszek said. “A year to catch my breath, not that it’s going to be easy, but it’s right in front of you: get first downs and touchdowns. It’s not head coaching where you’re fundraising, recruiting and all that other stuff. I’ll help recruit and get ready for the season, but I get some time with my family.”

While Vancouver – and Kitsilano Beach – are a long way from his home in Dundas, Ptaszek has worked out a family-friendly arrangement with head coach Blake Nill that will see him stay in Ontario until just before the start of the 2018 USports season.

“I get six months right now to be the best dad and husband I can be and head out to Vancouver in the summer and start supporting Coach Nill and the Thunderbird program,” Ptaszek said. “I sat down with my family and picked the option that was going to be the best for my three children and my talented wife. That’s always going to be the trump card.”

UBC and Ptaszek agreed to a one-year deal but both sides are open to making it a long-term relationship.

While Ptaszek has spent the majority of his coaching career in Ontario, he actually got his start with the Thunderbirds while doing his MBA in 2001 when then-head coach Jay Prepchuk hired him to be special teams coordinator and receivers coach. After finishing grad school and coming back to Ontario, Ptaszek was hired as the offensive coordinator at Wilfrid Laurier University for three seasons (2003-2005), winning two Yates Cups and a national crown in 2005.

That success earned him the head coach job at McMaster University where he spent 10 years (2006-2015), winning three Ontario University Athletics championships and one Vanier Cup title in 2011. During that time the Marauders set a Canadian University football record for the longest win streak at 21 games. And he was the CIS Coach of the Year in 2012.

Then an opportunity with the hometown CFL team came about and Ptaszek took the offensive coordinator position with Hamilton. He learned under two former CFL quarterbacks and offensive minds in Kent Austin and June Jones.

“Two brilliant guys that I got to work with and they were so different,” Ptaszek. “Kent’s offences and ways to break down defences were as layered and as cool as you’d ever see and there was a brilliance to it all. With June, there was a simple brilliance to it and the rules, it’s not complicated even a little bit. There are pieces that all football players can execute, the rules actually aren’t that hard and once they’re implemented right it’s really tough to defend.”

Ptaszek will leverage the new teachings in his offensive philosophy and scheme.

“June was such a huge protection guy and I learned a ton from and I never thought this before, but as an offensive coordinator your first job is to protect your quarterback and then you go from there. When you start to build a game plan, that’s where you start and I absolutely believe that having watched June go to work,” Ptaszek said.

The 18 game CFL season is a marathon compared to the eight-game USports regular schedule and that should make things easier on family life.

“You get a little beat up, especially in Ticat land it was not always the smoothest ride,” Ptaszek said. “A USports season will be an exciting, pleasant change.”

UBC has an elite passer in place to run Ptaszek’s scheme that has produced some gaudy quarterback numbers. Michael O’Connor enters his fourth year as a Thunderbird since transferring from Penn State University. From his CFL experience and being around some special quarterbacks, Ptaszek feels O’Connor could be a Canadian who possesses pro calibre traits.

“He is the real deal,” Ptaszek said. “He can make all the throws, I’ll tell you that.”

For Ptaszek, coaching O’Connor at UBC while still being able to spend time with his family is the ideal combination at the perfect time. Not quite a day at the beach but close enough.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ptaszek is a quality person and good football coach who unfortunately left a good job at Mac in hopes of advancing his career, the big problem was working for a control freak (Kent Austin) who seemed willing to make Ptaszek the scapegoat when things went south in Hamilton.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Interestin' - UBC with both Nill & Ptaszek running things should be a powerful CIS team - both proven winners and they have that very good QB to work with. Ptaszek has shown to be a very smart and diverse offensive coach in CIS ball and has at least gained some experience working on a CFL staff now (even if it was more a coffee fetch role for Kenty).

They might be just CIS guys who never get a CFL shot to run a team there; but have to wonder about the pieces being in place in BC. Mr. Ed and good ole Wally will be running the Lions now, and maybe they will do OK, but I'm not so sure. Braley going to sell the team eventually; and if a new owner wants to make changes if Mr. Ed & Wally lose lots and the fan base continues to be iffy or disinterested ?

Love to see a new Lions owner down the road give Nill & Ptaszek the shot to turn things around there as opposed to same old GOBs getting the call. There is also former long-time. CFL player Doug Hocking who has been a successful coach in BC Junior ball for some time. Those 3 = the makings of a maybe very good CFL staff (not sure if Nill would coach or be more a GM type); or at least a change from same old recycled GOBs, and a chance for some very qualified and experienced Canadian football people - who are in place in BC now - to get to run a CFL team. Wether any of those guys would have any interest if called - i really don't know - but the challenge and some buck$ might speak loudly.

Possible scenario - the Lions bomb badly next season, Nill & Ptaszek win the Vanier, and a new owner who isn't a GOB dupe turns to them to run the Lions (and they recruit Hocking as well). Maybe i'm having a BC hydro pipe dream though. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Would have been nice to see him take the U of T job. May have created a more competitive OUA rather than have the same teams dominate year after year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have no idea what Ptaszek joining Nill and the Thunderbirds has to do with the BC Lions, but okay.

Ptaszek wasn't being used much in Hamilton, even when Jones took over, I think all Ptaszek did was take the play that Jones called and put it into Ticats verbiage. Would have been nice to see him go to UofT to rebuild their terrible program, but best of luck to him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I have no idea what Ptaszek joining Nill and the Thunderbirds has to do with the BC Lions, but okay.

Ptaszek wasn't being used much in Hamilton, even when Jones took over, I think all Ptaszek did was take the play that Jones called and put it into Ticats verbiage. Would have been nice to see him go to UofT to rebuild their terrible program, but best of luck to him.
    Ptaszek said the other day that he had learned a lot from both Austin and June Jones in Hamilton so UBC's offence might bear much similarity to the Ticats'.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Ptaszek said the other day that he had learned a lot from both Austin and June Jones in Hamilton so UBC's offence might bear much similarity to the Ticats'.
    But which version - the Kenty one (same old CFL offence with less run game than all other teams) or the June Jones run & shoot style ?

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    But which version - the Kenty one (same old CFL offence with less run game than all other teams) or the June Jones run & shoot style ?
    Ptaszek will leverage the new teachings in his offensive philosophy and scheme.

“June was such a huge protection guy and I learned a ton from and I never thought this before, but as an offensive coordinator your first job is to protect your quarterback and then you go from there. When you start to build a game plan, that’s where you start and I absolutely believe that having watched June go to work,” Ptaszek said.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Tiger Cats have added another QB to their negotiation list with connections to June Jones: University of Alamaba's Tua Tagovailoa.

The Hawaii native came off the bench in the second half of Monday night’s College Football Championship game to lead the Crimson Tide to a 26-23 overtime win over the University of Georgia. Tagovailoa completed 14-of-24 passes for 166 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, including the game-winning 41-yard touchdown strike in OT.
    Current Ticats head coach June Jones coached Tagovailoa during his senior year in high school when he threw for 3,932 yards and 43 touchdowns, leading St. Louis to the 2016 District 1 State Championship. He chose Alabama over LSU, Oregon, UCLA and USC.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/01/10/ti...a-qb-neg-list/