Lucas McConnell it Hamilton's National Development Program QB and quickly realized how much he has to learn, but being only 19 he has lots of time to develop.

Although McConnell may be limited to the on-field activities that he’s able to participate in, often just helping the other quarterbacks warm up or stepping in on positional drills with the running backs, he’s been taking in as much as he can during practice and has been a full participant in the off-field activities and team meetings. “You can learn so much just from watching these guys; how they interact with each other and how they conduct their business off the field.” ...
It’s something Waterloo Coach Bertoia knows all too well having coached previously with the Western Mustangs who saw Will Finch attend two CFL training camps including one with the Hamilton. “He’s going to learn not only how to be a quarterback, but how to become a leader as well. The quarterback position needs to understand protections, shifts, everything. So I’m excited to see the player that Lucas comes back as,” the Waterloo coach said.
Even as McConnell stands in on practice, having professional quarterbacks at his disposal to bounce questions off of has been a big opportunity. “If I’m wondering about a read or anything [else] that I’m wondering about I can just go and ask them.” His time with the Ticats will also give him the chance to expose himself to coaching that he may not necessarily get the opportunity to receive while at the university level. Realizing the finer details in the ability to call protections are skills he’s learning during his three weeks that he’ll be participating in the entire training camp with the Cats. Any moment you have the opportunity to get coached up by a four-time Grey Cup champion, you’re bound to pay attention.
“In individual periods I’m working with him a little bit fundamentally,” said Tiger-Cats Head Coach, Kent Austin. “Good young man. [He’s] Quiet, very quiet but quiet confidence.” ...
When training camp wraps up following the preseason game against the Ottawa Redblacks at Tim Hortons Field on June 17, McConnell will have to wait to showcase his newfound knowledge and skills until August 28, when the Waterloo Warriors will travel up the 401 to kick their season off against the York Lions.
http://ticats.ca/cis-qb-gets-break-f...s-with-ticats/