Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tiger Cats coaches think C J Gable is the best all-round back in the CFL. The question has always been whether he can avoid serious injury limiting his contribution. I'm not so keen on his many replacements in the past.

"I'm always thinking that, but I'm not going to think negatively," the fourth-year Ticat said after Wednesday's shorter, but intense, practice at Ron Joyce Stadium. "I've always said, 'This year I'm going to stay injury-free; take care of my body.' But the stuff that's happened I couldn't really prevent from happening."
    This is true. One of the reasons, besides the fact that when he plays he's usually terrific, that Gable hasn't suffered the same we're-moving-in-another-direction fate that befalls just about every other running back in professional football who has missed two-thirds of the regular-season games over two years, is that the injuries which sidelined him have not been chronic.
    After a brilliant rookie season in 2013, Gable played only seven games in 2014 because of first a foot, then almost immediately, a shoulder, injury. Last year, he and Andy Fantuz both incurred serious elbow injuries in the same game and he played only five in total. There has been nothing to suggest that any of those injuries would repeat themselves, and they haven't. But there is unspoken pressure for Gable to remain on the field this season. In the pro game, you only get to roll the dice so many times before you're asked to move away from the table.
    "I put that pressure on myself," Gable says. "I don't want to let the team down. If I'm in there you see a big difference, we can do a lot of stuff. When I'm out, they sometimes have to change stuff around, and I don't want that. I want to keep it going."
    The Ticats have always come up with a capable replacement tailbacks — the likes of Ray Holley, Mossis Madu and Nic Grigsby — when Gable has been hurt, but this year it seems that they've actively sought American backs who are more of the Gable mould: well-sized; hard-running; able to run good routes and catch the ball; and, just as important, strong and intelligent blockers. Recent history has taught them they have to. Michael Ford had two stints with the club last year and is back again, while newcomers Ross Scheuerman out of Lafayette, and Da'Rel Scott, who tore it up at Maryland, have impressive resumes.
    Kent Austin understands the perception that there is a more Gable-esque presence waiting in the wings, while pointing out that Scheuerman does have a somewhat different skill set.
    Two-years ago, Scheuerman had the sixth highest all-purpose yardage total in the entire U.S. college system while Scott won the Pennsylvania state high school 100-metre championship, was with the New York Giants for three years and scored pre-season touchdowns on a 97-yard run and a 65-yard fake punt.
    And Scott, who spent time with Winnipeg, says he can block in this league.
    "I worked on it in college and I was able to protect Eli (Manning)." he says. "I think I've shown that on film, because they trusted me to be a third-down back with the Giants. I think I can gain their confidence here."

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6702206-ticat-running-back-gable-determined-to-stay-on-the-field-and-off-the-injured-list/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Free open house, pick your seats, food and meet players/alumnai happening June 12 at Tim Hortons Field. Another idea for Copeland for next season when they won't be too busy planning tailgating.

https://twitter.com/ticats/status/738368393468858373

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Still haunting the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Trench etiquette in Ticat land:

During the helmet-and-shoulder pads session this morning, the linemen were going at it in a one-on-one drill. The contests are quick and violent, an offensive player squaring off against a defensive counterpart in a simulated pass protection situation. Players rotate through and with so many bodies in camp, a guy might only get two or three opportunities.
    Veteran offensive tackle Brian Simmons did his reps this morning, then prepared to switch out for one of the several rookie Americans in camp. But defensive end John Chick, who was up next, grabbed Simmons’ arm and gestured to his spot. The message was pretty clear: I want to go against you.
    Simmons obliged him.
    “It’s trench etiquette. I locked him down pretty good yesterday and our reps are limited here and he wanted to even things out,” Simmons said afterwards. “He won today. I guess he’ll sleep better tonight.”
    Simmons and Chick have faced each other several times before and became teammates this off-season when both signed in Hamilton as a free agents.
    “I’ve played against him and I’ve respected him but we’ve never really talked,” Simmons said. “When camp started he told me he thought I was good player and that was really nice to hear.”
    Chick chuckled when asked him about it.
    “You always want to go against the best and every time I can, I’m going to do that,” he said. “We’ve been rivals for a long time and it’s now we’re teammates and I see how hard he works.”
    Simmons played four-plus seasons with the Ticats before being dealt to Edmonton last year. He re-signed in Hamilton – he lives here in the off-season as well – and is trying to retake a starting spot he lost last spring. Going up against Chick is a pretty good test.
    “He’s quick, savvy and he’s got a high motor. When you put a good block most ends, they deflate a little bit. Chick goes right to the whistle, no matter what,” Simmons said. “I feel like this is one of my better starts to a training camp. But I came in here with something to prove and we still have such a long way to go.”
    http://3downnation.com/2016/05/31/ve...nch-etiquette/
    Last edited by jerrym; 06-02-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Owens has no hard feelings toward Argos
    http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/owens-ha...d-argos~882875

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo DL Delano Johnson committed the ultimate no-no in pushing a QB at Tiger Cat TC leading to a massive melee.

http://3downnation.com/2016/06/02/qu...training-camp/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Tiger Cats coaches think C J Gable is the best all-round back in the CFL. The question has always been whether he can avoid serious injury limiting his contribution. I'm not so keen on his many replacements in the past.

[/FONT]http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6702206-ticat-running-back-gable-determined-to-stay-on-the-field-and-off-the-injured-list/

[/FONT]
    Austin has been on about that before with Gable; and while he has flashed some talent for sure, IMO he is vastly over-rated by some; not a consistent between the tackles type tailback IMO (but then, the Ticat offence has little use for such a back).

Reports that Anthony Woodson and draft pick Mercer Timmis have looked good in Ticats TC are interesting; my bet = they get next to no real playing time as the position is Kenty pencilled-in for imports only; we shall see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Still haunting the field.

Great to see. We had a cool talk in '95 at a wrestling show I was working and he just loved the fact that I wanted to talk more football than wrestling.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Great to see. We had a cool talk in '95 at a wrestling show I was working and he just loved the fact that I wanted to talk more football than wrestling.
    He still haunts the memories of BC Lions fans for his hit on Willie Fleming in the 1963 Grey Cup that put him out of the game and seemed to leave him never the same as an RB. I'm not commenting on the hit, just on the fact you can still get a rise of old BC Lions fans by just mentioning it (I didn't live here then). The article below is also a comment on how the media can manufacture an image for you, whether you deserve it or not.

Back in 1964, Angelo Mosca was the most hated man in Canadian football.
    Thursday, in Hamilton, he becomes only the second player to have his jersey retired in Tiger-Cat history when the team plays Montreal.
    In 1964, the CBC's acclaimed news-magazine program This Hour Has Seven Days aired a 10-minute documentary about Mosca. It was "a behind the scenes study of the meanest man in the game." Nowhere was Mosca more hated than in B.C.. In the 1963 Grey Cup game, Mosca knocked out star running back Willie Fleming with a hit that many in the province called dirty.
    In the documentary, Mosca says, "I created an image and everyone thinks I'm dirty. There's no such thing as dirty play unless you're kicking people in the face."
    Mosca was accused of kicking Fleming in the head while he lay on the field. You can see the hit in the first few seconds of the video on this page and judge for yourself. Dirty or not, it led to a grudge that continued until 2011 when Mosca and former Lions quarterback Joe Kapp, both well into their '70s at the time, got into a fight at a CFL Alumni Association charity luncheon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...game-1.3205807

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Austin comments on a week of TC on Day 7 including on former Argo Spencer Watt, who is "doing well", as well as preparing for the preseason game.

http://ticats.ca/video/coach-austin-june-4th

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR6i...ature=youtu.be

Matthews moving sideways ? Pretty sure pylons don't move.

Don
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    He still haunts the memories of BC Lions fans for his hit on Willie Fleming in the 1963 Grey Cup that put him out of the game and seemed to leave him never the same as an RB. I'm not commenting on the hit, just on the fact you can still get a rise of old BC Lions fans by just mentioning it (I didn't live here then). The article below is also a comment on how the media can manufacture an image for you, whether you deserve it or not.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...game-1.3205807

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Joe Kapp hasn't forgiven him either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lucas McConnell it Hamilton's National Development Program QB and quickly realized how much he has to learn, but being only 19 he has lots of time to develop.

Although McConnell may be limited to the on-field activities that he’s able to participate in, often just helping the other quarterbacks warm up or stepping in on positional drills with the running backs, he’s been taking in as much as he can during practice and has been a full participant in the off-field activities and team meetings. “You can learn so much just from watching these guys; how they interact with each other and how they conduct their business off the field.” ...
    It’s something Waterloo Coach Bertoia knows all too well having coached previously with the Western Mustangs who saw Will Finch attend two CFL training camps including one with the Hamilton. “He’s going to learn not only how to be a quarterback, but how to become a leader as well. The quarterback position needs to understand protections, shifts, everything. So I’m excited to see the player that Lucas comes back as,” the Waterloo coach said.
    Even as McConnell stands in on practice, having professional quarterbacks at his disposal to bounce questions off of has been a big opportunity. “If I’m wondering about a read or anything [else] that I’m wondering about I can just go and ask them.” His time with the Ticats will also give him the chance to expose himself to coaching that he may not necessarily get the opportunity to receive while at the university level. Realizing the finer details in the ability to call protections are skills he’s learning during his three weeks that he’ll be participating in the entire training camp with the Cats. Any moment you have the opportunity to get coached up by a four-time Grey Cup champion, you’re bound to pay attention.
    “In individual periods I’m working with him a little bit fundamentally,” said Tiger-Cats Head Coach, Kent Austin. “Good young man. [He’s] Quiet, very quiet but quiet confidence.” ...
    When training camp wraps up following the preseason game against the Ottawa Redblacks at Tim Hortons Field on June 17, McConnell will have to wait to showcase his newfound knowledge and skills until August 28, when the Waterloo Warriors will travel up the 401 to kick their season off against the York Lions.
    http://ticats.ca/cis-qb-gets-break-f...s-with-ticats/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With Collaros injured, Mathews and Massoli are in important competition for QB time, but still back each other up.

Jeff Mathews has Jeremiah Masoli's back, even if they're competing for the same job.
    Mathews came to his fellow quarterback's defence Thursday, touching off a melee during the Hamilton Tiger-Cats training camp at Ron Joyce Stadium. While camp scuffles are routine as the competition for jobs intensifies under the hot summer sun, ones involving two quarterbacks are rare. ...
    But Delano Johnson, a six-foot-four, 290-pound defensive lineman, shoved Masoli, prompting the six-foot-four, 221-pound Mathews to come to Masoli's defence. Mathews was thrown to the turf, touching off the skirmish. ...

Masoli and Mathews both have a lot riding on camp. Incumbent Zach Collaros won't be ready to start the 2016 campaign as he continues to recover from knee surgery.
    That means Masoli and Mathews are battling to be Hamilton's No. 1 quarterback when it kicks off the 2016 season June 23 in Toronto. But Mathews said the competition is hardly cutthroat.
    "We're both just focused on getting better," he said. "I just want to be the best player I can be but that doesn't mean I'm not going to help him if I see something or that he won't help me if he sees something.
    "He's a great guy. We're just trying to win football games, and the best way to do that is have everybody compete regardless of where you are on the depth chart." ...

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...training-camp/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Austin discusses how fatigue can help identify which players you want to keep.

Head coach Kent Austin was explaining Friday how training camp can be used as "an indicator of what kind of trajectory you are on and to try to determine how much the guys have absorbed, what they really know and what they really can perform well with the fewest number of mistakes.
    "We're being pretty deliberate in the layering and learning. Conceptually layering it in, then circling back to make sure that the learning has been embedded properly. So if we circle back to something we've installed in previous days and they don't have immediate recall, then we know that the learning process has faltered somewhere.
    "It also ferrets out who are the better learners. All that is getting monitored and measured."
    And is that beginning to take some shape in the staff's collective mind?
    "It starts to flesh out right about now, especially when guys get tired," Austin said. "When you tire physically, you tend to get tired mentally as well. We'll see who can dig in and push through and be a pro.
    "Fatigue creates a lot of cowards. We want tough football players that are mentally tough first and foremost, because typically if you're mentally tough you're going to be physically tough as well."
    http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...ticat-coaches/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Colour Purple: It’s big at Tiger-Cats training camp
    http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...training-camp/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I was listening to Marsh and Milton and they were insisting that his family emergency was real and not a hold out. Considering it's not a new deal but just a restructuring of the existing one, that smells fishy to me.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Austin scrum on June 7th on kicking game, Chick and Owens.

http://ticats.ca/video/kent-austin-scrum-june-7th