Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    Was a great day! They have the potential to make this huge! Took a off duty police office to the game and he said his only concern was the beer being so cheep that ppl would get to drunk. But outside of that everyone was awesome and was the closest thing to being at a proper tailgate. The genlemen I brought had already made plans to bring a car and fill it for the home opener! Awesome job!
    People getting too drunk tailgating? Surely not!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    People getting too drunk tailgating? Surely not!
    I'm not for getting drunk, but was TC1's buddy an off-duty cop or were they masquarading as Kathleen Wynne or John Tory...pretending to be the only people who can make responsible decisions for full grown adults.

With all do respect, he must really avoid the beer store because of all the drunks hanging around according to his analogy. A case of 2-4, a 12 and even a 6 pack is sold for much less than $4 a beer. This guy must be horrified when he goes to a grocery store in Montreal, where you can buy a 2-4 for $25. I'm sure he's a great guy TC1, but you don't make him sound like a fun guy to tailgate with when you quote him talking like he's still at work on his off day.

Not saying one should not be moral or advocate that police officers call each other to warn each other of where all the ride spot checks are, as has been known to happen. Heck, there's even been some who've run clubs that served booze to underagers in the past. I'm glad he cares, (as do I, and I'm not a cop) but I think the best run societies are societies that don't overegulate their citizens removing all personal responsibility. I respect police officers and have friends and close relatives that are/were cops. I hope everyone including TC1 and his off-duty buddy chilled out and had a good time at the tailgate. I just wish they had the personal responsibility of bringing their own beer and choosing what brand they wanted to drink, that's all.
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 06-12-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Not sure what anyone was expecting in terms of Beer selections ? It usually always comes down to sponsorship and pouring rights deals.
    The Ontario Place Parking Lot has sponsorship and pouring rights?

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    As expected, I wasn't allowed into the tailgate since I took the Go Train to the game. However, 2 of my friends who took the subway got in just by showing their game ticket.
    The method of transportation you took to the game should not have mattered. I personally took the TTC, and when I attempted to enter the tailgate lot the attendant seemed confused about the rule. She asked if we had a pass, which we didn't and she then proceeded to tell us that we could not enter the lot. They were supposed to let you in if you knew someone who had parked there, and they didn't check a list or anything. I think by the end that many of the people inside were not associated with a vehicle.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The Ontario Place Parking Lot has sponsorship and pouring rights?
    No, but MLSE and BMO Field do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No, but MLSE and BMO Field do.
    Well the Argonauts aren't owned by MLSE and the Tailgate wasn't at BMO Field so I don't see why the Argonauts can't serve whatever beer they choose. I don't think Steam Whistle is even sold inside BMO Field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    what was the tipping situation with the beer? Did they even expect/accept tips? are they just handing you cold cans or are they pouring them into solo cups for you?.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well the Argonauts aren't owned by MLSE and the Tailgate wasn't at BMO Field so I don't see why the Argonauts can't serve whatever beer they choose. I don't think Steam Whistle is even sold inside BMO Field.
    No they are not, but they are owned by Bell and Tanenbaum who own 2/3's of MLSE. MLSE along with BMO field have relationships and deals in place, so odds are some of those will become involved with the Argonauts as well. Yes, they could of chose whomever they wanted, but they obviously didn't and there's probably a financial reason behind it. Copeland stated during his OVERDRIVE interview that odds were the tailgating would most likely involve the bigger brand name beers and that's what ended up happening. I don't see the issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    what was the tipping situation with the beer? Did they even expect/accept tips? are they just handing you cold cans or are they pouring them into solo cups for you?.
    They open the can and hand it to you. Tipping is optional, they don't seem to be expecting it. You can go to one of the stations or wait until one of the beer bikes comes by.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No they are not, but they are owned by Bell and Tanenbaum who own 2/3's of MLSE. MLSE along with BMO field have relationships and deals in place, so odds are some of those will become involved with the Argonauts as well. Yes, they could of chose whomever they wanted, but they obviously didn't and there's probably a financial reason behind it. Copeland stated during his OVERDRIVE interview that odds were the tailgating would most likely involve the bigger brand name beers and that's what ended up happening. I don't see the issue.
    So how do you explain them selling Steam Whistle then?

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    They open the can and hand it to you. Tipping is optional, they don't seem to be expecting it. You can go to one of the stations or wait until one of the beer bikes comes by.
    I didn't tip them, but thought to myself that I probably ought to have.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    My main question heading into this tailgate thing was if you could buy the beer and take it to your car, or do they make you drink it in a certain spot? What would be the point of cooking up your food and then not having a drink to go with it? Were you allowed beer at your car? One other question for anyone that was there.... how extensively did they search the vehicles coming in?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I didn't tip them, but thought to myself that I probably ought to have.
    The problem with tipping in this situation is that the tip would most likely just be pocketed in some cases (beer bike). People who unloaded the coolers and stocked them and are generally doing the grunt work will get nothing and the person handing over the beer will get everything which isn't fair. Maybe they will sort that out to make sure any tips are distributed equal. Until then, i would not feel too bad.

New Fan
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    At 15%, we are talking about tipping 50 cents on a $4 beer. Tipping or not tipping a kid who is probably doing this as a summer job to pay for university is even a question? How many beers are you going to drink? Four or five? That means you will have to part with a whole $2 after 3 hours of drinking and eating your own food.

A. you don't know how much the grunt guys make
    B. you don't know if the tips are being shared
    C. not everyone in this world makes the same money
    B. if the grunt guys were riding the bikes and selling you the beers, you would be complaining that the Argos were too cheap to hire pretty girls to sell the beers

Tip the girl! I always hated the guys my daughter delivered the news advertiser to, who wouldn't pay, but demanded some 12 year old bring him the paper 3x a week.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    My main question heading into this tailgate thing was if you could buy the beer and take it to your car, or do they make you drink it in a certain spot? What would be the point of cooking up your food and then not having a drink to go with it? Were you allowed beer at your car? One other question for anyone that was there.... how extensively did they search the vehicles coming in?
    You could take the beer wherever you wanted within the confines of the fenced off tailgate lot.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    They looked through my cooler and asked to see the trunk. But i had my scooter in it so they didn't even bother with it. The pay duty officer came by and asked my husband if he had snuck in any booze. My husband said no. He asked why. My husband told the cop he needed to know what they were serving here first. Cop laughed said he thought it was silly that we couldn't bring our own booze and walked away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes you can bring the beer back to your car. You can drink it anywhere inside the fenced off licensed tailgating area.

They did a quick search of our car and cooler. I'm not a fan of the beer choices but I'm not going to ruin this (or take money away from the Argonauts) by trying to sneak in alcohol, if that's what you're getting at?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    So how do you explain them selling Steam Whistle then?
    steam whistle has had dealings with the Argonauts before; maybe the new regime wanted a local Pilsner and/or maybe there are financial reasons behind it. I don't know, but instead of complaining; maybe ask the team why they chose the brands they did.
    I really hope you're not thinking about what you're subtly implying here. Very quick way to ruin the whole thing for a lot of other people.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    steam whistle has had dealings with the Argonauts before; maybe the new regime wanted a local Pilsner and/or maybe there are financial reasons behind it. I don't know, but instead of complaining; maybe ask the team why they chose the brands they did.

I really hope you're not thinking about what you're subtly implying here. Very quick way to ruin the whole thing for a lot of other people.
    Okay but then that totally refutes your point about Pouring Rights / MLSE and BMO Field deals as Steam Whistle isn't served inside BMO Field.

I have asked the Argonauts (more than once) and they haven't responded.