Thread: Wayne Smith

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level

Wayne Smith

Argos have signed Wayne Smith who is a native of Toronto.

Wayne_Smith_2010_11713.jpg
    Last edited by Argonauter; 03-31-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Source of the rumors?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    Here's an article on Smith from when the Ticats signed him that focuses on his career up to that point and abilities.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cats-bolst...dd-wayne-smith

HAMILTON -- The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the team has signed free agent Canadian offensive lineman Wayne Smith.

Smith, a 6-2, 305-pound native of Toronto, Ontario was originally selected by the Ticats with the first overall pick in the 2004 CFL Canadian Draft. He played three seasons in Hamilton, earning the team's Most Outstanding Rookie nomination in 2004 and Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman nomination in 2005, before being dealt to the Saskatchewan Roughriders prior to the 2007 season. Smith earned a Grey Cup ring with the Riders in 2007.

"We're excited to bring Wayne back to Hamilton, as he's very athletic and can play multiple positions along the offensive line. He's also an outstanding character guy that will make a positive contribution off of the field as well," said General Manager Bob O'Billovich.

The Appalachian State product has suited up in 80 regular season games, four playoff games and one Grey Cup final.
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Source of the rumors?
    Drew Edwards.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/20...ith-argos.html

That didn't take long.
    Have heard from a very reliable source that former Ticats offensive lineman Wayne Smith has agreed to terms with the Toronto Argonauts.
    The Argos offensive is undergoing a major overhaul - 2011 starters Rob Murphy Taylor Robertson and Dominic Picard are no longer with the club - so Smith should get his wish: a chance at a starting job.
    And he gets to stay in the area, which is nice. He lives in Southern Ontario year-round.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Very good move. Wayne Smith is excellent and he was in great shape last season. Very happy about this.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Nice to hear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    From the scratching posts and other twitters, sounds like Wayne Smith was not too happy being the 6th man on the line. Sounds like he will push for a starter spot.
    Good for competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Good move. The Argo offensive line definitely needed strengthening. I would also like to see the interior defensive line strengthened as teams were running up the middle on us constantly, although if Huntley recovers his old form from two years ago that would partly solve this problem. The question is are his injuries catching up with him. As for Wroten, as far as I am concerned, the team should drop him because he is too undisciplined both on and off the field and not a team player.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I think unless Wroten has a stellar camp he will be history anyway. I remember reading he was making big money !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos have now added a couple of vet O-Linemen - in Parenteau & Smith - to a position group that needed help/depth; good move IMO - and they could both possibly claim starting jobs probably, or at the very least, being good depth - at either OG or OT.

New Fan
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:

Level
    I am wondering... with this move, are the Argonauts thinking of going to an all Canadian offensive line?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    We must start at least four.Drurie/Johnson makes five, Pottinger and Black makes seven and Foley rotating in and out on the edge. Also clear by the roster that focus will be on drafting the following: Running Back/Full Back
    D linesman, O linesman . As we currently have no backup for Black,Foley or Johnson. Or we could also see a trade if we can acquire one of those that would allow drafting a receiver early as there are quite a few good ones.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRoYoBoat View Post
    We must start at least four.Drurie/Johnson makes five, Pottinger and Black makes seven and Foley rotating in and out on the edge. Also clear by the roster that focus will be on drafting the following: Running Back/Full Back
    D linesman, O linesman . As we currently have no backup for Black,Foley or Johnson. Or we could also see a trade if we can acquire one of those that would allow drafting a receiver early as there are quite a few good ones.

??? - Foley will be, IMO, the only sure bet for a full-time gig by a NI on the D; the roating a NI in and out at various spots on the D to get the required 7th NI "starter" (used by Jones and the Stamps defence) could occur at several positions - LB w/ Pottinger, at DT with Alexandre; maybe at DB w/ Black for some packages; that's if they have to go to this trick if there are only 5 NIs starting on offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Argonut View Post
    I am wondering... with this move, are the Argonauts thinking of going to an all Canadian offensive line?

That could be quite feasable, as the only projected import starter is Coughman - and it's not like he is some established star OT in the league; and if Tyler Holmes shows up for TC, they could have him, Eppelle and Parenteau (former DI all-star as an OT and i think has at least played there some in the CFL) all compete for that OT spot; are there any other import O-Linemen even signed for TC at this point?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That could be quite feasable, as the only projected import starter is Coughman - and it's not like he is some established star OT in the league; and if Tyler Holmes shows up for TC, they could have him, Eppelle and Parenteau (former DI all-star as an OT and i think has at least played there some in the CFL) all compete for that OT spot; are there any other import O-Linemen even signed for TC at this point?
    There are already strong rumours that Tyler Holmes is not likely to be drafted or signed by an NFL team as a free agent and will be up here for training camp which is more good news. I don't know what's going to happen with Reinders other than I'm sure he'll be cut at some point by the Giants but maybe he thinks he's too good for the CFL.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    There is ZERO chance that a rookie out of College will be covering Ricky Ray's blind side.

??? - Foley will be, IMO, the only sure bet for a full-time gig by a NI on the D; the roating a NI in and out at various spots on the D to get the required 7th NI "starter" (used by Jones and the Stamps defence) could occur at several positions - LB w/ Pottinger, at DT with Alexandre; maybe at DB w/ Black for some packages; that's if they have to go to this trick if there are only 5 NIs starting on offence.
    Sure bet my a...

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    Do you actually think Ricky Foley might not be a starter? That's about as nonsensical as saying Ricky Ray might not be the starting QB this year.

Seriously? Foley was by far the Argos best DLineman last year, and I'd also say their best defensive player overall. And you think he might not be a starter this year? Do you really think Matt Black, who's never started before, or Pottinger who's coming off a torn knee are closer to being a "sure bet" than Foley is?

I'd really like to hear your rationale as to why Foley might not be a starter this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There is ZERO chance that a rookie out of College will be covering Ricky Ray's blind side.
    So - it's OK then that Coughman - played a few games last year for a grand total of half a year or so of CFL experience - would be "covering" Ray's "blind side" ??? Holmes has experience in Canadian football having grown-up playing it, and i think it can be argued that he has a quite a bit better US college ball resume than Coughman too. IF the Argos were that worried about having some great, or ultra experienced OT to help protect Ray, they should have maybe kept Rob Murphy; or they could try Parenteau or Wayne Smith at OT - they have plenty of CFL O-Line experience and instincts bulit up; or, the Argos could be trading for an experienced CFL OT; to say Holmes is out of the question but you're OK with the status quo starters at the end of last year, makes very little sense to me.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I think he will rotate just like Pottinger,Black,Johnson and Drurie.

So - it's OK then that Coughman - played a few games last year for a grand total of half a year or so of CFL experience - would be "covering" Ray's "blind side" ??? Holmes has experience in Canadian football having grown-up playing it, and i think it can be argued that he has a quite a bit better US college ball resume than Coughman too. IF the Argos were that worried about having some great, or ultra experienced OT to help protect Ray, they should have maybe kept Rob Murphy; or they could try Parenteau or Wayne Smith at OT - they have plenty of CFL O-Line experience and instincts bulit up; or, the Argos could be trading for an experienced CFL OT; to say Holmes is out of the question but you're OK with the status quo starters at the end of last year, makes very little sense to me.
    I don`t think the decision has been made. Oline is a work in progress. We have at least two NI with experience who can play tackle in VZ and Smith. I doubt we can trade for one. These guys just are not available on the trade market.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think he will rotate just like Pottinger,Black,Johnson and Drurie.
    It could well be that the Argos will find some new DE who is a good pass rusher; and Jones did like to rotate a lot of guys in and out on the Stamps D (a good idea / strategy for a D IMO); and, the Stamps D rarely played any NI full-time; however - Foley is arguably the best player on the Argos D - if there is a new DE to rotate in, it would probably be on the other side - it would make little sense IMO, to leave Flemons or some other import DE, who are nowhere near as good as Foley, in to play full-time while Foley gets pulled some of the time ??? - why - because he's a Canadian? Foley - as the best play-maker on the Argos D - should be on the field as much as possible.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Foley not a full-time player??.......don't see that happening. Not only is he your best defensive player, he's probably the highest paid player not named Ray. Too much money and too much talent for him to not be on the field. Could he be subbed out in certain packages?......maybe, but I don't see that either. Could he get spelled out for a breather?......possibly, but I don't recall that happening either.

To be honest, I see Tristan being the Black that gets more playing time on defense. While I like Matt Black, and hope that he can succeed, I don't see it happening. Love his ST hustle, but I don't know that he's a full-time starter.

But then again, I'm just a fan on a website forum. Who knows what the coaching staff is thinking.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Foley had six sacks all of last year. That ranked him 12th in the league and some of the guys ahead of him like Mainor and Vega didn't even play a full season. Even Anwar Stewart who is 37 had more sacks than Ricky Foley.

When I say rotate, it does not have to be with a NI at the same position.