Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Smith

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRoYoBoat View Post

Foley had six sacks all of last year. That ranked him 12th in the league and some of the guys ahead of him like Mainor and Vega didn't even play a full season. Even Anwar Stewart who is 37 had more sacks than Ricky Foley.
    Foley also had 69 tackles, which is phenomenal for a DE. That ranked him 14th in the league. The closest DE in tackles had almost 40% LESS.

But let`s talk about the sacks. Did you notice that Foley tied for the team lead in sacks last year? The Argos other DE had three - - should that guy even be invited to camp this year?

The low sack totals last year were a direct result of the soft coverage of the secondary. If the QB takes a three step drop and lets it go, do you think it`s realistic to expect ANYONE to get pressure on the QB?

QB takes one step...two steps....three steps...

Foley takes one step...two steps...beats the OT...beats the RB...three steps - - too late, the ball`s already gone.

Sacks happen when the quick read is taken away. Give a cushion of 5 to 10yds and the QB just plays pitch-and-catch with the open receivers. Call a 30yd post route and the pass rush has a chance to get to the QB. On a 5yd dump off? No way.

Given the insanity of personnel decisions last year, you could be absolutely right that they`ll rotate Foley out on passing downs. Maybe Ben Ishola`s ready for a breakout season. Maybe they want to take advantage of Huntley`s speed and use him at rush end. Maybe they`ll also start BJ Hall at QB to run the Wildcat and use Ricky Ray to hold for placekicks.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post
    Foley also had 69 tackles, which is phenomenal for a DE. That ranked him 14th in the league. The closest DE in tackles had almost 40% LESS.

But let`s talk about the sacks. Did you notice that Foley tied for the team lead in sacks last year? The Argos other DE had three - - should that guy even be invited to camp this year?

The low sack totals last year were a direct result of the soft coverage of the secondary. If the QB takes a three step drop and lets it go, do you think it`s realistic to expect ANYONE to get pressure on the QB?

Foley takes one step...two steps...beats the OT...beats the RB...three steps - - too late, the ball`s already gone.

Sacks happen when the quick read is taken away. Give a cushion of 5 to 10yds and the QB just plays pitch-and-catch with the open receivers. Call a 30yd post route and the pass rush has a chance to get to the QB. On a 5yd dump off? No way.

Given the insanity of personnel decisions last year, you could be absolutely right that they`ll rotate Foley out on passing downs. Maybe Ben Ishola`s ready for a breakout season. Maybe they want to take advantage of Huntley`s speed and use him at rush end. Maybe they`ll also start BJ Hall at QB to run the Wildcat and use Ricky Ray to hold for placekicks.

I don't have a problem with Ricky. I just think he will be more effective in a rotation. All defensive ends play against the same quarterbacks. As for the tackle stats it speaks to how much time that defense was on the field more than ability. It is not a good thing when your DE has 70 tackles.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It is not a good thing when your DE has 70 tackles.
    How do you figure that one? Wouldn't a DE's tackles be closer to the line of scrimmage than say, a DB's tackles?

Having said that, Foley also had a lot of tackles when our genius DC decided to drop him back to LB and go wit a 3 man rush in all the Montreal games. Foley is a stud and will not be rotated. May come out every now and again for a breather, but will not be a rotation player.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post

I agree with all of this except the deliberately insane last paragraph. Nonetheless, even though he will start and play the vast majority of downs, I do believe Foley -- and all the d-linemen -- need to be rotated throughout the game. Fresh pass rushers are one of the absolute keys to strong defence in this league. The Argo D of the last two years had a lot of things wrong with it, but one thing I liked was dressing Buzbee and rotating him in fairly regularly to give guys a breather. Speaking of which, has he re-signed? I'd like to see him brought back for a third season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree with all of this except the deliberately insane last paragraph. Nonetheless, even though he will start and play the vast majority of downs, I do believe Foley -- and all the d-linemen -- need to be rotated throughout the game. Fresh pass rushers are one of the absolute keys to strong defence in this league. The Argo D of the last two years had a lot of things wrong with it, but one thing I liked was dressing Buzbee and rotating him in fairly regularly to give guys a breather. Speaking of which, has he re-signed? I'd like to see him brought back for a third season.
    Of course Foley might be taken out for a breather once in awhile; and subbing in fresh D-linemen or any other D players can be a smart thing at times IMO; however - the point being discussed here - i think - is which D players are candidates to be subbed in and out a lot for different looks, or to get some fresh legs in there; and IMO - your best defensive player is the least likely candidate to be one of those subbed guys often - he should be on the field as much as possible; Foley did not have great sack stats last year, but he still was the team leader there and he has been at the top of CFL sack stats in the past; and he also led ALL CFL D-Linemen in tackles by a huge, whopping margin last season - because he makes plays on D. RoRo seems to thing Foley should or will be taken out some next season and play more as a rotation guy - could be i guess; but Jones or whoever would make such a call better have a real good reason or some new superstar type D player to replace Foley when he is taken out.

And IMO - what's kinda sad about last year and in agreeing that D-Linemen should be subbed for some to get fresh troops in, is that it didn't seem to happen that much with Huntley and Wroten when they were not playing that strong game in and game out; Buzbee got in some - but he's more a DE and not a real big DT type; but why was Alexandre not dressed and given a shot at some playing time when DT was not a strong position? Jones went with a lot of subbing of D players and particularly with NIs being shuffled in and out of the Stamps D to get the 7th NI in, instead of going with a full-time Canadian there; i hope he is willing to give the likes of Alexandre or Matt (& Tristan) Black, or maybe a good young D player draft pick some shots on the Argos D this season.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-03-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Banned

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

Of course Foley might be taken out for a breather once in awhile; and subbing in fresh D-linemen or any other D players can be a smart thing at times IMO; however - the point being discussed here - i think - is which D players are candidates to be subbed in and out a lot for different looks, or to get some fresh legs in there; and IMO - your best defensive player is the least likely candidate to be one of those subbed guys often - he should be on the field as much as possible; Foley did not have great sack stats last year, but he still was the team leader there and he has been at the top of CFL sack stats in the past; and he also led ALL CFL D-Linemen in tackles by a huge, whopping margin last season - because he makes plays on D. RoRo seems to thing Foley should or will be taken out some next season and play more as a rotation guy - could be i guess; but Jones or whoever would make such a call better have a real good reason or some new superstar type D player to replace Foley when he is taken out.

And IMO - what's kinda sad about last year and in agreeing that D-Linemen should be subbed for some to get fresh troops in, is that it didn't seem to happen that much with Huntley and Wroten when they were not playing that strong game in and game out; Buzbee got in some - but he's more a DE and not a real big DT type; but why was Alexandre not dressed and given a shot at some playing time when DT was not a strong position? Jones went with a lot of subbing of D players and particularly with NIs being shuffled in and out of the Stamps D to get the 7th NI in, instead of going with a full-time Canadian there; i hope he is willing to give the likes of Alexandre or Matt (& Tristan) Black, or maybe a good young D player draft pick some shots on the Argos D this season.
    Keep in mind what kind of shape Foley is in and his conditioning level compared to an average DLineman like, say, Wroten.

But sometimes making substitutions with the idea of taking a guy out for a "breather" or when guys are coming in and out every other play to match up against the run/pass scenario ends up being counter-productive. Especially when the defensive coaching staff has no idea what's going on and is running guys out late just as the offence is about to break the huddle. A 40 or 50yd sprint from the sideline to get to your position in time and then try and beat an OLineman with a pass rush move. That kind of little thing doesn't show up on tv, but sitting in the stands last year watching constant mismanagement like this got so frustrating.

As for Alexandre not playing at all last year - - there were two games where Toronto played one man short because they didn't have enough Canadians to dress. Meanwhile, a rookie like Alexandre sits on the PR. Let's play shorthanded instead of bringing in one of the young guys to see what he can do, if not on D then at least give him some time on ST. Where was the logic?

And now seeing posts calling for the Argos best defensive player and best Canadian to be used as a substitutional player, it's as if the idiocy of last year's coaching staff is contagious. That's all you need to know as to why football is struggling so badly to survive in Toronto.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    You two related ? Ricky Foley is middle of the pack DE with the bonus of his NI status. We will be revisiting your comments this season

Banned

Level

You two related ? Ricky Foley is middle of the pack DE with the bonus of his NI status. We will be revisiting your comments this season
    Foley is the Argos top Canadian as well as their best defensive player. Let me know whenever you're ready to revisit that, PoPo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

Having said that, Foley also had a lot of tackles when our genius DC decided to drop him back to LB and go wit a 3 man rush in all the Montreal games.
    That was one of the most frustrating things to watch was one of the top DEs in the league drop back while Calvillo just picked us apart.

BTW -- with Baggs cut, is Foley now the top paid defensive player in the league?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

You're serious with that comment? If so, frickin' unbelieveable.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    We will see this season if Foley is part of a rotation. What is "unbelieveable" about that ? Reading some of these posts you'd think we are talking about Cameron Wake. We need more than 9 sacks from our defensive ends.

And according to JB that will be decided by training camp. So maybe you can believe the GM...

Although the Argonauts have returning veterans Ricky Foley and Ronald Flemons, general manager Jim Barker didn’t rule out the possibility of adding Stewart.

“We’ll know a lot more after training camp,” Barker said. “At this point, we need to get younger at a lot of places. But Stewart would be a great option, if he’s still available. I think he can play. And he has been productive.”
    Last edited by RoRoYoBoat; 04-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    You're serious with that comment? If so, frickin' unbelieveable.
    I concur with Area 51 and OV, I really can't believe my eyes in reading how some view Ricky Foley, am I watching a completely different game and player than anyone else or something ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I concur with Area 51 and OV, I really can't believe my eyes in reading how some view Ricky Foley, am I watching a completely different game and player than anyone else or something ?
    No you are not. It's pretty obvious to me that some people look at stats as the be all and end all of productivity. This isn't baseball. It's pretty obvious to me that schemes have a lot to do with productivity (which BTW unlike a lot on here, I'm not ready to give up on Huntley either). Some things said on here just kind of make you give your head a shake.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned

Level

We will see this season if Foley is part of a rotation. What is "unbelieveable" about that ?
    I'd really like to know how you'd rank the Argos top seven Canadians.

In your estimation does Wayne Smith become the Argos top NI? Is Joe Eppele in the top three NIs?

Looking forward to your assessement and insight.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree with Area 51 on this one. Might be the first or second time!

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    The Canadian content of the team is a whole conversation in intself but our top Canadian is Noel but ratio wise I think Foley, VZ and Durie are pretty similar in terms of "value" to the team. Rotating a guy has nothing to do with ability it has to do with how much energy you expect a guy to expand during a football game. I'f rather see two guys get half the reps and get better production and the added stability to deal with injuries.

You pay a defensive end to go after the QB and when your two ends combine for nine sacks and you give up 500 points, your not going to win too many ball games. Now some of that will improve with an offense that is on the field longer and with Chris Jones coaching the defense but the reality of it is that Foley will need to show more this year and don't be shocked if he is part of a 3 man rotation on the dline. We need at least 20 sacks from our Defensive Ends and if it takes 3 guys to accomplish that I don't really care. Our Dline combined for 19 sacks being on the field more than any other team and BC with a real offense managed to get 30.
    You have to get your pressure from somewhere, now Jones likes to stunt his LB more than most so we will have to see how it is all put together but expect change on that defense it won't look anything like it did last year thank God !
    Last edited by RoRoYoBoat; 04-04-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Canadian content of the team is a whole conversation in intself but our top Canadian is Noel but ratio wise I think Foley, VZ and Durie are pretty similar in terms of "value" to the team. Rotating a guy has nothing to do with ability it has to do with how much energy you expect a guy to expand during a football game. I'f rather see two guys get half the reps and get better production and the added stability to deal with injuries.

You pay a defensive end to go after the QB and when your two ends combine for nine sacks and you give up 500 points, your not going to win too many ball games. Now some of that will improve with an offense that is on the field longer and with Chris Jones coaching the defense but the reality of it is that Foley will need to show more this year and don't be shocked if he is part of a 3 man rotation on the dline. We need at least 20 sacks from our Defensive Ends and if it takes 3 guys to accomplish that I don't really care. Our Dline combined for 19 sacks being on the field more than any other team and BC with a real offense managed to get 30.
    You have to get your pressure from somewhere, now Jones likes to stunt his LB more than most so we will have to see how it is all put together but expect change on that defense it won't look anything like it did last year thank God !
    You clearly weren't watching the same games/season as the rest of us, you do realize that for the majority of the season Foley was used more as a positional linebacker right ?
    Foley's job was more about coverage than pressuring the QB, he was all over the field all season long, I can think of over 15 games in which he was chasing more receivers and running backs than going after the QB.
    IMO if you allow Foley to do the job he was originally signed here to do and you will see the player that he is. (Huntley, Wroten and Flemons all need to be let go of though, they proved their worth already).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    You clearly weren't watching the same games/season as the rest of us, you do realize that for the majority of the season Foley was used more as a positional linebacker right ?
    Foley's job was more about coverage than pressuring the QB, he was all over the field all season long, I can think of over 15 games in which he was chasing more receivers and running backs than going after the QB.
    IMO if you allow Foley to do the job he was originally signed here to do and you will see the player that he is. (Huntley, Wroten and Flemons all need to be let go of though, they proved their worth already).
    Umm - I believe you're over-stating (by quite a bit) how much Foley was dropping or playing LB last year - sure, it was some, but most of the time he was lined-up as a DE who rushed the passer (and ended up making a ton of tackles for a DE; again - he led all D-Linemen in the league in tackles by a whopping margin); but I get your point and agree about style of D and players around you affecting an indivdiual player's performance; we shall see how Foley does this year and what his role is like in the new Jones defence; and maybe RoRo is fairly new to the CFL or only follows the Argos or something, but to not be aware that Foley has been a top pass rusher and amongst sack leaders (FYI - tied for CFL lead in sacks in 09) in the CFL before ... ???
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If there was to be a move in terms of less playing time for some guys (particularly NIs) or becoming more of a rotation or situational player, and that might surprise or shock some - I'll bet it will be on offence and maybe Durie (discussed a bit before here maybe, but since the topic is up again sort of - the Als offence with Millanovich last year played all imports at receiver and a player who subbed in quite a bit was NI Kerry Carter - as a fullback/H-back/ tight end for different sets; and he's a quite a bit bigger player than Durie (but like him a former star tailback by trade; converted into another role in the CFL) - Durie would not be a fit as a big body H-back type; but maybe the new Argos offence will be a lot different with Millanovich fully in charge, compared to the one he helped run as the OC in Montreal; and even if Durie does play a full-time 5 pack receiver role, I'll wager that will mean other NI receivers (like Watt, Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino - whoever makes the roster) will be back-ups who rarely see the field on offence (but I hope not and i also hope it comes down to honest TC competition as opposed to the pencilled-in garbage).
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-04-2012 at 04:59 PM.