Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think there is difference replying to trolls and replying to someone like Hedger, who shouldn't have made that mistake in the first place given its her job to cover all sports, plus she works at TSN.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Meh, the older I get the thicker my skin becomes. I used to get really riled up when people would put down the CFL, and I still do on occasion. But everyone who knows me now, knows not to talk trash about the CFL around me, because I made my points, and they know they can't win. Doesn't mean they are now fans, but I'm not interested in making anyone a fan who doesn't want to be. Like I said above the game will sell itself if it can, and if not it always has me and others like me and will still be great as a result, not as good as it should be, but we can only change what's in our sphere of influence, and sometimes that only includes ourselves. For me I have a new challenge, I'm off to live in Ottawa tomorrow, and I'll bring the Argo spirit with me. As an Argo fan the timing is bad, because if I stayed in Toronto this would be the first year I could realistically afford season seats, but its not to be. I'll miss out on BMO, but I hope to catch a game later on in the year, and hope to catch the July game at Lansdowne. I'm going to try to fly my Argo flag at my house on game days, and for a week after if they win, I'll see how that goes. Enjoy the tailgating, I hope that works out well. There's a lot I'll miss about this city, but a lot I won't. But I'll be an even lonelier Argo fan, but I'll do my best to keep the Argo spirit and CFL spirit alive up there. Have fun at BMO boys.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Meh, the older I get the thicker my skin becomes. I used to get really riled up when people would put down the CFL, and I still do on occasion. But everyone who knows me now, knows not to talk trash about the CFL around me, because I made my points, and they know they can't win. Doesn't mean they are now fans, but I'm not interested in making anyone a fan who doesn't want to be. Like I said above the game will sell itself if it can, and if not it always has me and others like me and will still be great as a result, not as good as it should be, but we can only change what's in our sphere of influence, and sometimes that only includes ourselves. For me I have a new challenge, I'm off to live in Ottawa tomorrow, and I'll bring the Argo spirit with me. As an Argo fan the timing is bad, because if I stayed in Toronto this would be the first year I could realistically afford season seats, but its not to be. I'll miss out on BMO, but I hope to catch a game later on in the year, and hope to catch the July game at Lansdowne. I'm going to try to fly my Argo flag at my house on game days, and for a week after if they win, I'll see how that goes. Enjoy the tailgating, I hope that works out well. There's a lot I'll miss about this city, but a lot I won't. But I'll be an even lonelier Argo fan, but I'll do my best to keep the Argo spirit and CFL spirit alive up there. Have fun at BMO boys.
    Have a good time in Ottawa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    This is a terrible response. It is not an apology and it doesn't make right her inference. Why was it even necessary to compare CAN vs USA. Those players that earned those 4 GC championships are full worth for their efforts to win those championships. They are championships period in a professional league period. A league with over 100 years of history. Admit it and move on. It's that simple.
    Concur. That was not the way to handle it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Concur. That was not the way to handle it.
    I agree. It was worse than saying nothing.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Oh thank you so much Jennifer - and of course people should realize the context and true meaning of your comments: the CFL is only this minor little Canadian only semi-pro league and not to be confused with the "big four" of real pro sports. Please excuse those overly sensitive little CFL fans getting upset at you for nothing = they should get with the program and realize the CFL should not be considered a real pro sport - so what if the Argos won some of those Gray Cups (is that what they're called? = how quaint) = not good enough for "world class"/ "major league" Torronnawannabe land (if only we had an NFL franchise). How bout those Raptors & Jays though, eh, er, huh. Please say hi to your co-workers at TSN and tell them to try and watch some CFL ball this coming season - maybe if the Jays are not on TV that day. We're still friends - love you Jen and say hi to Larry Tannenbaum too for me when you see him - maybe he will get to run a real football team one day. Gotta run now - off to an NFL fantasy draft thingy with my co-workers (should I pick Johnny Manziel or Gronk? - such a tough call - they're both soooo sexy) - wouldn't dare upset them by mentioning the Argos or the CFL - that's the best way to deal with that silly little nuisance of a sport league your bosses somehow see fit to broadcast - pretend it doesn't really exist.
    Hammer, nail, head

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    If you don't stand up for what you value, how can you expect anyone else to value it?
    Right on, again.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    As I've said before, I don't love any mainstream CRAP. Just because it's bigger doesn't mean better! I'll take our CFL and a quality craft beer while enjoying a burger made from a local farmers beef. The world has become a messed up reality for many. Big companies own everything and market to the masses of brainless asses. TSN is no different.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    You'll love living in Ottawa compared to Toronto. You may even join the Redblacks side :P I don't regret moving here at all.

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    My overall thoughts:

1) It was an oversight. We are making a much bigger deal out of this then it really is.

2) She may not have been trolling, but still overreacting to this does not reflect well on the league. The Blundells and Bilikis look at our reaction to this and say "Aw, look at them, defending their little league, how ADORABLE'. I still say overreacting is the ultimate sign of desperation. Shrug it off and the haters have no reaction to hang on to.

3) We need to get used to, and even embrace the fact that the CFL is the 2nd most successful pro football league in the world. Not the 1st. For 99% of players, the NFL is the ultimate destination. Like hockey players shoot for the NHL (not KHL or Swiss League) and soccer players shoot for Premier League (not MLS). We are the KHL or MLS. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    You'll love living in Ottawa compared to Toronto. You may even join the Redblacks side :P I don't regret moving here at all.

Excellent ! Welcome to Ottawa !

Make sure to wear some Argos gear around town 1873 (CFL TCs have started - time to sport more CFL gear than during the off-season = today I am going with my Argos hockey style jersey - that has "EST. 1873" on the front); and join in with my Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoooooooos ! howl when I give it to those wussie RedBlacks fans in the stands at Lansdowne (sorry- can't stand to refer to it as TD Place - named after a scum-bag institution).

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    Agree with OV as these stadium names are yet another piss off in the times we live. How long before jersey's look like European Hockey just covered in corporate BS.

Ottawa is a sweet town.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    my brother lives in Manotick. ya, Ottawa is a great town. Love visiting there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
    My overall thoughts:

1) It was an oversight. We are making a much bigger deal out of this then it really is.

2) She may not have been trolling, but still overreacting to this does not reflect well on the league. The Blundells and Bilikis look at our reaction to this and say "Aw, look at them, defending their little league, how ADORABLE'. I still say overreacting is the ultimate sign of desperation. Shrug it off and the haters have no reaction to hang on to.

3) We need to get used to, and even embrace the fact that the CFL is the 2nd most successful pro football league in the world. Not the 1st. For 99% of players, the NFL is the ultimate destination. Like hockey players shoot for the NHL (not KHL or Swiss League) and soccer players shoot for Premier League (not MLS). We are the KHL or MLS. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Disagree, basically, with all 3 of your points. That is one way to look at the matter, and we're all entitled to our opinions, but i have a major issue or differing opinion on the mind-set you seem to show.

The CFL IS the highest level of CANADIAN football = period, end of story there = it is not the same game as American football - tons of differences; and while European hockey has some slight differences from Canadian hockey, and soccer is soccer - the differences between the 2 games of gridiron football are many and key and that helps make the CFL & Canadian football unique (along with a deeper, more storied history than the NFL). If some Canadians feel the need to compare things here to whatever in the USA - bully for them; and if some think it's all about the most money or "success" or media adulation - that's swell too. Want to think the CFL is 2nd best or 2nd rate and that will have to do/nothing wrong with that - knock yourself out; sorry I can't share that view however = maybe more a polite little Canadian inferiority complex thing ? I somehow doubt that sports media and soccer fans in Germany or Italy go around bad mouthing or dissing their pro league because it isn't the English Premier League; and I doubt tons of hockey fans and sports reporters in Sweden or Russia look down their noses at their elite pro leagues either because they aren't "successful" like the NHL. This CFL is 2nd rate attitude is IMO a glaring example of pathetic wannabeness that is so prevalent in Canada - lots of lemmings led to follow or believe things by clueless media hacks & clowns (right Jen?) - and this demands to be called for what it is, instead of just a shrug of the shoulders or silent acceptance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I can't agree.

The recent CBS Sports (online) snub of the Raptors by listing them as "Other" matches this perfectly imo.
    That situation had the Toronto sports media up in arms and even the mayor criticized it.

Say nothing, expect nothing, in terms of respect.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I actually agree somewhat with OV.

I enjoy all football but the comparisons with the NFL need to stop and the CFL needs to be appreciated more for what it is. If the Blundells see the reactions online then they are probably following the team/league a lot more than they would like to admit. I also don't see it as desperation. If you're passionate about something then there is no harm in standing up for it, say what needs to be said and move on. Whether that's politics, sports or corporations doing something you don't agree with. As long as people don't harass Hedger in the process and make themselves (fans) look foolish. I think people are forgetting Hedger's original comment "Toronto hasn't seen a championship in PRO sports since '93 when Jays won WS". All Hedger had to do was own up to the mistake she forgot about the Argos but instead she went on to make a excuse that she was referring to the "Big 4", which really makes little sense on her part since the CFL is huge for TSN - perhaps 2nd behind the NHL. Plus, there is no NFL team in Toronto. As a PRO athlete like Matt Black, how could you not take a little offense to that? Once again the Toronto media has completely forgotten about the Argos. If there is little to no chatter by fans then I would find that to be concerning. Where was John Tory to save the day like he did when the Raps were called "Other"? If any other team was left out, she would've have received the same response, if not worse.

I'm also not sure anyone here is overreacting, this is a Argos board after all so it will be discussed more in length here than anywhere else.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    People just need to chill and let the football do the talking.

I remember when I went to University (I went to Brock) and I made friends with guys from many different areas of Ontario (K-W, Guelph, Ajax, Kincardine, London) and we are still friends to this day. We were all sports fans. I, being from Hamilton, was the only CFL fan. At first, they used to joke and throw jabs about the CFL all the time. I just laughed it off, shrugged my shoulders and ignored it. But as time went on, they saw me watching the CFL, and it slowly went from mocking it to watching it with me. They still used to pretend to not like it, but I knew they liked it in secret, as they interestingly always showed up in front of the TV whenever I was watching a game. Eventually, they admitted to enjoying the games. I took them to a game in Hamilton, and they had a blast. They wanted to go to more. We all have families and live in different cities, but whenever we get together, we always talk sports. They admit they don't follow the CFL closely, but watch it sometimes and they clearly still enjoy it.

I feel if I had so vehemently defended the CFL at the start, they would have realized how easy it was to rile me up about it, and the CFL would have never stood a chance in their eyes. Instead, I exposed them to the game and let the football do the talking.
    You may be from the Hammer, but you're all right in my books.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    I can't agree.

The recent CBS Sports (online) snub of the Raptors by listing them as "Other" matches this perfectly imo.
    That situation had the Toronto sports media up in arms and even the mayor criticized it.

Say nothing, expect nothing, in terms of respect.
    That's a great point!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The States does give a rats behind about us, so why do we give them the time of day ?
    What is the reason for our media's obsession ?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Disagree, basically, with all 3 of your points. That is one way to look at the matter, and we're all entitled to our opinions, but i have a major issue or differing opinion on the mind-set you seem to show.

If some Canadians feel the need to compare things here to whatever in the USA - bully for them; and if some think it's all about the most money or "success" or media adulation - that's swell too. Want to think the CFL is 2nd best or 2nd rate and that will have to do/nothing wrong with that - knock yourself out; sorry I can't share that view however = maybe more a polite little Canadian inferiority complex thing ? I somehow doubt that sports media and soccer fans in Germany or Italy go around bad mouthing or dissing their pro league because it isn't the English Premier League; and I doubt tons of hockey fans and sports reporters in Sweden or Russia look down their noses at their elite pro leagues either because they aren't "successful" like the NHL. This CFL is 2nd rate attitude is IMO a glaring example of pathetic wannabeness that is so prevalent in Canada - lots of lemmings led to follow or believe things by clueless media hacks & clowns (right Jen?) - and this demands to be called for what it is, instead of just a shrug of the shoulders or silent acceptance.
    Couldn't agree more.