Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Wasn't Dustin Nielson brought on full time by TSN for what would have been the 2020 season ?
    I can't remember.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I can't remember.
    I just checked the Cuthbert leaving TSN thread, and there doesn't seem to be anything concrete there, just speculation. After a quick DDG search, it came out about the same. So, it seems as though TSN hasn't confirmed anything yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Matt Nichols, the paper Argo, is happy to be reunited with coach Paul LaPolice again.

Maybe he’s disappointed things didn’t work out with the Toronto Argonauts, quarterback Matt Nichols is excited about his new opportunity with the Ottawa Redblacks. He’s happy to work with a head coach and offensive co-ordinator — Paul LaPolice — he’s plenty familiar from their time together in Winnipeg. And he’s looking forward to playing some football in the nation’s capital; turns out he’s quite fond of Ottawa. ...

“It’s a chance to play for a coach that really took my career to the next level and helped me immensely become a better quarterback, better leader and better person,” said Nichols Monday, a day after signing a two-year deal with the Ottawa Redblacks. “To be able to continue my career with Coach LaPolice in an offence I know like the back of my hand and we’ve kind of built together the past four or five years, it’s the exact position I wanted to be in. It’s a place I’ve always wanted to play, I’ve always loved the city and loved playing in that stadium. I couldn’t be more excited to be part of the organization.”

Coming off a shoulder injury and surgery that knocked him out the lineup midway through the Blue Bombers’ Grey Cup-winning 2019 season, Nichols signed with the Argos a year ago, but on Sunday, the team released him rather than pay a $220,000 roster bonus due the following day. The Argos made an offer in December, then held firm; there was no further negotiating. ...

Since signing with the Redblacks, Nichols has heard from fans and from new teammates. It has him fired up. “I can’t wait to get to work with the guys,” he said. “My familiarity with the system and the coaching staff will help us hit the ground running whenever that happens. I can help get guys lined up in the right positions and we can hit full stride right from the get-go.”
    https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...-city-he-loves

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Matt Nichols bought his own Argo jersey from a fan who had purchased it. Nice gesture. Of course he could use it prove he actually on the Argos' roster to his grandkids in a year when the Argos could win the Grey Cup.

Newly signed Ottawa Redblacks quarterback Matt Nichols has a better Christmas return policy than any retail store.

The veteran CFL quarterback took to Twitter on Wednesday to reach out to one unfortunate Argonauts fan who unwrapped a shiny new Nichols jersey over the holidays, only to have it rendered obsolete when he was released just over a month later. ...

Peter Cooper, an Argonauts season ticket holder and former front office employee with a 2004 Grey Cup ring to his name, was the unlucky victim of circumstance, but Nichols recalled his holiday post and offered to rectify the situation unprompted.

“Peter Cooper, DM me. I’ll buy the jersey from you so you can get a new one,” Nichols wrote on Twitter, quote-tweeting the original post. “I need one for my collection.”
    https://3downnation.com/2021/02/03/n...cky-argos-fan/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa has signed seven players including former Argo DL Davon Coleman, who played in six games in 2019 for the Argos, as well as WR Ryan Davis, DL Bryson Young, LB Avery Williams, DB De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes, LB Mulumba-Tshimanga, and OL Tyler Catalina.

Coleman joins the Ottawa REDBLACKS after spending his last three seasons in the CFL, splitting his time with BC, Hamilton and Toronto. In 49 games played between 2017 and 2019 in the CFL, Coleman has recorded 127 defensive tackles, 17 sacks and three interceptions. Before his time in Canada, he has also been a member of the Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New York Giants.

Davis is the all-time leader at Auburn in career receptions with 178 and 14th in career receiving yards with 1,555. In 2019, Davis was invited to the New England Patriots training camp. He caught three passes for 30 yards with New England in preseason, and has experience in the slot and as a punt returner.

In 49 games played at the college level with the Oregon Ducks, Young has accumulated 73 defensive tackles and one interception. 2019 was a breakout year for the California native. He totaled 56 tackles after a combined 17 the previous three seasons. After his college career, Young signed as an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons in 2020.

In 28 games with the REDBLACKS’ organization, Williams has 112 defensive tackles, seven tackles on the special teams and two sacks to his account. Since his debut in the capital in 2018, Williams has been a key piece of the REDBLACKS defense. While only dressing for 11 games in 2019 due to injuries, he still managed to record 69 defensive tackles. In 2019, he had his best game during CFL week 10 against the Ti-Cats, recording 12 tackles. Williams, who played his collegiate football at Temple University, was a part of the 2016 conference championship team and the 2015 team that made an appearance in the conference championship. He finished his career at Temple with 154 tackles, three sacks, and one interception in 47 games played.

Hayes joined the Ottawa REDBLACKS organization for the 2019 season. In seven games played with the club, he accumulated 22 defensive tackles and three interceptions. After moving on from Arizona State, Hayes spent the 2017 season in the Arizona Cardinals organization. Prior to his professional career, he played three seasons with the Arizona State Sun Devils, recording 43 tackles, three tackles for loss, three interceptions and nine pass deflections after a transition to the defensive side of the ball. He also saw time at running back and kick returner as a junior, compiling 416 all-purpose yards on the season.

Mulumba-Tshimanga has spent the first three years of his CFL career with Edmonton. Born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mulumba-Tshimanga played his collegiate football with the Maine Black Bears, where he earned multiple individual awards before coming to the CFL. In 43 career games, the 28-year-old has 53 defensive tackles and 34 on the special teams, along with five sacks and four forced fumbles. He originally signed with the Ottawa REDBLACKS prior to the 2020 season that was later canceled.

Catalina signed with the Ottawa REDBLACKS in February 2020. He played college football at Rhode Island for three seasons before transferring at Georgia. After moving on from college, Catalina was signed by the Washington Football Team as an undrafted free agent in 2017. After spending 2 seasons in Washington, he spent some time with the Minnesota Vikings and the Carolina Panthers organizations. While he was in college at Rhode Island, Catalina earned a spot on the Second-team All-CAA (2015) and Third-team All-CAA (2014).
    https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2021...anga-catalina/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    LB Don Unamba, who signed with Ottawa in the 2020 cancelled season, after bouncing around with the Bombers, Riders, Als, Ticats and Eskimos over six seasons, has extended with Ottawa. He had 46 tackles (43 DTs and 3 STs), 6 sacks, one interception and 2 FFs in 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With Unamba signing for six teams in seven years that must be close to some CFL record. I know there are players have signed with more teams but that has typically occurred near the end of a very long career approaching twenty or so years. I wonder if his moves are for money, inability to get along with teammates, or what.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Redblacks have signed Canadian DL Stefan Charles who played in the NFL from 2013 to 2018, then in the AAF with Arizona in 2019 and finally with Edmonton the same year.
    Last edited by jerrym; 02-09-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canadian WR Daniel Peterman, who played in all 36 games since being drafted in 2018 but saw limited action in gaining only 272 yards over two years due to a strong receiving core, has signed with Ottawa.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Add Micah Awe to Ottawa. Awwwtowaaaa.

Should give Benefides the Lb's he is looking for with Avery Williams and possibly Chris Mulumba. Fernandez was good in 2019 also

Kudos to the Redblacks for putting a good looking team together (on paper). East could be a dogfight with everyone loading up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    Add Micah Awe to Ottawa. Awwwtowaaaa.

Should give Benefides the Lb's he is looking for with Avery Williams and possibly Chris Mulumba. Fernandez was good in 2019 also

Kudos to the Redblacks for putting a good looking team together (on paper). East could be a dogfight with everyone loading up.
    Awae is a mediocre IMO - some big (and dirty hits) get some attention; maybe he puts it together with Ottawa.

Mulumba-T should get a real look there to start at MLB there, but doubtful with Desjardins' Americans first attitude for his defence - maybe the new coaching staff see different.

Sorry, but can't see Ottawa being competitive in the East this year - new HC and holes all over their roster - a lot of the defence, RB, receiver and an injury problem QB who has not exactly lit-up the CFL in all of his chances.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Canadian WR Daniel Peterman, who played in all 36 games since being drafted in 2018 but saw limited action in gaining only 272 yards over two years due to a strong receiving core, has signed with Ottawa.
    I think Peterman will impress if he gets a chance to play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    I think Peterman will impress if he gets a chance to play.
    He might - and LaPo would know his ability from the Bombers; he won't play much though if it is pre-determined there will only be one NI starting in the 5 pack as part of their plan to get to 7 only; Sinopoli has that job locked-up.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    He might - and LaPo would know his ability from the Bombers; he won't play much though if it is pre-determined there will only be one NI starting in the 5 pack as part of their plan to get to 7 only; Sinopoli has that job locked-up.
    I was surprised he wasn't signed by the Tiger Cats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    I was surprised he wasn't signed by the Tiger Cats.

Might have made more sense for him there; a team that has no established Canadian starter receiver (they might go all import in the 5 pack?); they have former draft pick David Ungerer; ex-Argo Brian Jones and last year's draft pick Tyler Ternowski; they might be tempted to use their first pick coming up on a receiver ?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sorry, but can't see Ottawa being competitive in the East this year - new HC and holes all over their roster - a lot of the defence, RB, receiver and an injury problem QB who has not exactly lit-up the CFL in all of his chances.
    Argos are the one with the new HC and a first time defensive coordinator. Pinball as GM is based on hope and a prayer and good that he is connected.

Mat Nichols is not planning on taking hits and will be checking down and throwing the ball away often. Jalen Saunders was ahead of Speedy B before he went down so they have a few weapons with time to go yet. A veteran RB to help with the blitz being added would not surprise me. Lapo and Benevides are solid imo. This team will be up from 3-15.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    Argos are the one with the new HC and a first time defensive coordinator. Pinball as GM is based on hope and a prayer and good that he is connected.

Mat Nichols is not planning on taking hits and will be checking down and throwing the ball away often. Jalen Saunders was ahead of Speedy B before he went down so they have a few weapons with time to go yet. A veteran RB to help with the blitz being added would not surprise me. Lapo and Benevides are solid imo. This team will be up from 3-15.

Saunders might prove a great addition in an area of need if he can regain his best Ticat form; their receiving corps last year was average to more like terrible (outside of Sinopoli).

They do have some real vet (also known as CFL recycled yet again) coaches - LaPo, Benevedes, and Wylie (O-line) that might help put it together. Desjardins is a myopic weak link as a GM, IMO. LaPo might have had a good offence with a best in the league RB talent in Harris; we'll see now. Argos have question marks with the new coaching staff for sure. I'll still bet on them to finish well ahead of last place Ottawa.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Forgot about Don Unamba being re-signed who will play.

R J Harris got 62 passes in 2019 so he should also be back. I notice he was born in Germany and would be a nice Global player but somehow it doesn't work that way.

Sinopoli, Coombs, and Peterman with Saunders and Harris leaves room for one more. Manny claiming his resume is up to date might fit. DC would work for me and the fans would love him. Sign them both for the money it would take.

Still work to do and no where to go but up hopefully enough to keep the fans happy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Five year Redblaick veteran DL Ettore Lattanzi is retiring. Although primarily a backup, he was a fan favourite, who had 70 DTs, 8 sacks and 2 FFs, and of course a Grey Cup ring.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    First round 2020 draft pick DB Adam Auclair, whose brother won this year's Super Bowl with Tampa Bay, has signed with Ottawa. Adam won the U Sports Outstanding Defensive Player trophy in 2017.