Former Argo Brendan Gillanders is trying to establish himself as a presence in the Ottawa backfield but has some National competition.

Running back Brendan Gillanders, acquired from the Toronto Argos as a free agent in February, has a chance to do what no Canadian has yet accomplished with the Redblacks — establish himself as a running threat out of the backfield.
Head coach Rick Campbell believes it is doable. When he doesn’t play tailback, Gillanders, 25, will see time at fullback and on special teams. “I’m a big believer in him as a tailback,” Campbell said after Tuesday’s training camp session. “I think he’s the real deal. My best comparison of people I’ve been around in this league is Matt Walter, a kid who was No. 14 in Calgary (released by the Stampeders, Walter is now in Saskatchewan’s camp). “They have a lot of the same skill set — very fast, very strong, tough runners. I think definitely (Gillanders) could be capable of playing tailback. The good news on him is he can play fullback, too.”
Barely used out of the backfield by the Argos the past two seasons (one carry, seven pass receptions), Gillanders is thrilled to be in Ottawa, where family and friends are quickly snapping up game tickets and Brendan’s No. 25 Redblacks jersey from local outlets.
“It’s great to be home and it’s great to be on a championship calibre team,” says the former Gee-Gees captain.
Of course, having his own personal cheering section is only part of the reason for this Orleans native to come home.
“I’m a competitive guy and I thought there would be a little bit more opportunity to get involved on the offensive side of the ball here,” says Gillanders, 5-11 and close to 215 pounds. In the CIS, where he rushed for 768 yards and nine touchdowns in 2013, Gillanders played at 203 pounds.
“Whatever role they have for me I’m going to embrace, whether it’s blocking out of the backfield, catching out of the backfield or getting a handoff as a true running back,” he says.
Last fall, William Powell established himself as a go-to American tailback.
At tailback, Gillanders would compete with Canadian Kienan Lafrance. At fullback, he could be paired with former Laval FB Patrick Lavoie, plucked from the Montreal Alouettes in the 2013 expansion draft.
Lavoie, 28, is more than a little excited at having added Canadian strength in the backfield with the acquisition of Gillanders. “I don’t want to say something I’m going to regret, but I’m pretty sure we’re the best fullback duo in the league right now,” Lavoie says. “I think Brendan is a great athlete. He runs fast, he’s got good hands, runs good routes. He’s more a running back-slash-fullback, I’m more of a fullback-slash-tight end/receiver.”
Would Lavoie like more carries? He’s had just one in two seasons, a lonely rush against the Tiger Cats in 2014. “Absolutely not,” Lavoie deadpans. “I’ve got one carry in this league and it was for minus-four. After that, I’m done.”
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/foot...r-in-backfield