Ottawa traded Patrick Lavoie to Montreal in exchange for J. C Beaulieu today in a trade that GM Marcel Desjardins openly admits was aimed at opening up cap space in order to keep their starters.

“We’re trying to find a way to maximize our (salary) cap space,” Redblacks general manager Marcel Desjardins said. “We’re really trying to maximize our money, put our money into our starters, not having to invest as much in players who are not necessarily full-time starters. J.C. was a guy we felt would be able to come in and do a lot of things Pat does for significantly less money, and he’s also younger, which never hurts. That’s how it all came about. ”
The deal caught Lavoie off-guard. “This morning I was making breakfast before going to the gym and I got a call from Marcel,” Lavoie said. “He told me they’d made a trade. I was like, ‘OK … hmm.’ He said, ‘We traded you.’ I was like, ‘Oh, OK, me?’ I was surprised, I was shocked. ...
There was no animosity from the 30-year-old, who spent the past four years with the Redblacks after starting his Canadian Football League career with two seasons with the Alouettes. The 30-year-old Laval University product had 35 catches for 280 yards last season. ...
The 6-3, 220-pound Beaulieu has played four CFL seasons, all with Montreal. Last season, the 27-year-old from Trois-Rivières, Que., rushed for 91 yards and a touchdown in 10 games. ...
“You’re losing experience, but you have to be able to do that at some point,” Desjardins said. “We reached out to a few teams. Montreal was the most interested. It came together in a couple of days. I think geographically it makes the most sense for Pat, too. He’s been nothing but class, excellent both on and off the field for us. He’s contributed a lot to getting this franchise to where it is today.”
The Alouettes were happy to obtain Lavoie, who has 125 catches for 1,149 yards and nine touchdowns in 100 CFL games. “Since he arrived in the CFL, he has been a consistent and versatile player. He will fit very well in our new offensive system,” Alouettes general manager Kavis Reed said.
“If you asked me, other than Ottawa, where would I want to play, I’d say Montreal,” Lavoie said. “I’ve got a lot of family and friends there. It’s a good place to be.” Lavoie, who has one year left on his contract, feels he has plenty more football left in his body.
http://ottawasun.com/sports/football...r-j-c-beaulieu